PDA

View Full Version : Relaxed Touring?

gm10
07-04-2009, 03:31 PM
I went to my first dealer yesterday. Liked the bike very much except for the hand & feet placement. I recently sold a Suzuki c50 with Lehman trike kit. Would the 4" risers & ISCI floorboards make a difference in my touring style? I found the bike a little uncomfortable.:helpsmilie:

DynamoBT
07-04-2009, 03:48 PM
The stock handlebars make for a very sporty forward leaning position. Risers definitely help. Many here have put highway pegs on to be able to stretch their legs out while ryding. Very few have floorboards yet. I guess if they were lower than the peg that would give your leg more room.

The truth is that many SpyderLovers do some really long distance ryding. Go to the forum front page and see Lamont's, Deb's, and Doc Doru's blogs for the LA Spyder Owners trip.

The Spyder can be modified in a bunch of ways to set up just as you like.

Big Arm
07-04-2009, 04:17 PM
:agree: welcome gm10

Tripod
07-04-2009, 04:21 PM
I went to my first dealer yesterday. Liked the bike very much except for the hand & feet placement. I recently sold a Suzuki c50 with Lehman trike kit. Would the 4" risers & ISCI floorboards make a difference in my touring style? I found the bike a little uncomfortable.:helpsmilie:

I just came off of 7 years on Valkyrie trikes. You're on the right tracK. I've had my SE-5 for about a month now and I found exactly what you, and a lot of others, have found. We need to make some changes. So far I've added the Evoluzione sway bar, cranked up the cheesy stock shocks, added some to the front air pressures and put on the ISCS floorboards. Because of a physical condition I really needed the floorboards and they are by far the best upgrade for me. Getting a proper windshield will help too. Today I ordered the handlebar risers and Monday I will get the BRP Comfort Seat. As I've been riding the Spyder I'm finding the changes I need to make and I think I'm just about done with the comfort stuff.

Good luck and welcome aboard. Oh, and bring your checkbook!

Tripod :2thumbs:

gm10
07-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'm not alone in some of my requests.

gm10
07-04-2009, 05:33 PM
What is the comfort level of the ISCS floorboards? Is it worth the money? (big bucks)!:( Does it add to the touring feel?

ptoemmes
07-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Tripod,

How do you find the extended brake pedal position with the ISCI boards?

Do you use the ball or heel of your foot to brake? If you use the ball do you have to lift your foot up off the board to engage?

Thanks,

Peye

D&J's#2
07-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I started with the 4" risers and the touring windshield, sport rack with back rest for the wife, TBR polished alum. exhaust,(for me):clap:, and am seriously considering the comfort seat. Just adding as I find I need/want.welcome

Tripod
07-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Tripod,

How do you find the extended brake pedal position with the ISCI boards?

Do you use the ball or heel of your foot to brake? If you use the ball do you have to lift your foot up off the board to engage?

Thanks,

Peye

Maybe I can answer two questions here. There is no doubt the ISCS boards are expensive. But, in this case you get what you pay for and much more. What could be "more"....piece of mind. These things are the finest engineered and manufactured aftermarket products I've ever seen.
And, for my needs...money well spent. The brake pedal is large enough and very solid. Yes, I have to slide my size 12 back and up slightly to apply the brake. Think of it as applyng the brakes on a car. You lift your foot up from the accelerator and move it over to the brake pedal. No big deal, right?

Tripod :popcorn:

ptoemmes
07-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks!

Pete

Smylinacha
07-04-2009, 10:14 PM

You are going from a cruiser style bike so yeah, you'll feel weird at first. I went from a softail Deluxe - floorboards, not midmount, higher bars..... It was weird where my feet are on the Spyder but I got used to it. One thing I couldn't get used to though was the handlebars. I got the one inch brp riser which helped a little bit but then went with Magic Man's risers - I love them!:2thumbs:

It's an easy bike to get used to - you'll be having so much fun, completely different riding but LOTS OF FUN.

Bersquack
07-05-2009, 07:59 AM
welcome

Fo now, I am happy with the handle bar position (I have the 1" riser block) and foot position. I'll see after my first long trip if I want to get risers or something else. For me, the seat needed to go first, so I got the corbin.

There are many options out there for you to customize your spyder just the way YOU like it.

Star Cruiser
07-05-2009, 11:20 PM
You are going from a cruiser style bike so yeah, you'll feel weird at first. I went from a softail Deluxe - floorboards, not midmount, higher bars..... It was weird where my feet are on the Spyder but I got used to it. One thing I couldn't get used to though was the handlebars. I got the one inch brp riser which helped a little bit but then went with Magic Man's risers - I love them!:2thumbs:

It's an easy bike to get used to - you'll be having so much fun, completely different riding but LOTS OF FUN.

I found it "strange" when I went from a Honda CB750 to a V-Star 1100 in 1999. The Honda had a position similar to the Spyder. It took a long time to get used to the Cruiser style (seemed unbalanced with feet forward). After riding the V-star for 8 years, it only took about a week to feel comfortable on the Spyder. I do a lot of long distance riding. I have 1" risers that seem to work for me.