PDA

View Full Version : Self driving autos in FL!

Cavman
06-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Motorcycle riders be aware in FL! Will these autos recognize motorcycles on the roads? Let the lawsuits begin?

https://www.technocracy.news/florida-first-to-waive-driver-requirement-for-self-driving-autos/

fatboy
06-18-2019, 02:15 PM
might actually be safer at least they will use turn signals and lights when it rains

Gwolf
06-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Will they be programmed to sit at the stop light after it turns green and keep sending text messages like a human can do?

canamjhb
06-18-2019, 04:54 PM
I agree that they may be safer. There are way too many unskilled and inattentive drivers on the road. To quote Monk, "It's a jungle out there"..... Jim

JerryB
06-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Hi canamjhb,

Re: There are way too many unskilled and inattentive drivers on the road.

50% of all drivers have driving skills that are below average.

Jerry Baumchen

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-19-2019, 06:47 AM
I would rather have the av's then the illegals now getting driver's license in ny. i'm sure the av's will at least be insured.

dondje
06-19-2019, 07:24 AM
might actually be safer at least they will use turn signals and lights when it rains

At over a half billion miles logged in the USA, AVs already been proven to be safer than human drivers per million miles driven. Vehicles are being tested in multiple cities that don't even have a driver's seat or a steering wheel. As AVs get even better, insurance is going to sky rocket for the human driver. At least we will be able to drink and ride!

Regards,

Don

jcthorne
06-19-2019, 08:01 AM
At over a half billion miles logged in the USA, AVs already been proven to be safer than human drivers per million miles driven. Vehicles are being tested in multiple cities that don't even have a driver's seat or a steering wheel. As AVs get even better, insurance is going to sky rocket for the human driver. At least we will be able to drink and ride!

Regards,

Don

Actually with the couple deaths in the last year or so this 'law of averages' is no longer true. Human drivers have a MUCH safer record at the moment.

I predict injury claims (intentional and not) will force the hands of the self insured companies operating the AVs. The public 'KNOWS' that any incident involving one is the fault of the AV and the owner and company liable for its actions has very deep pockets. The only group that will make profits from this is the lawyers.

Bob Denman
06-19-2019, 09:38 AM
I'll be waiting for the first autonomous vehicle to show up at my Office, and want to buy insurance... :roflblack:

Chupaca
06-19-2019, 09:50 AM
Maybe they should start with zones where only they can drive around. Like Europe where there are cities where they don't allow non local licenced drivers to enter. Park outside and use public transport within.... :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-19-2019, 11:02 AM
That's not a bad idea... :thumbup:

Chupaca
06-19-2019, 11:50 AM
That's not a bad idea... :thumbup:

You know what Joe Public can do to the most well tested products out there....:roflblack: Don't even want to think about the Hackers out there.....:yikes:

Gwolf
06-19-2019, 12:43 PM
https://i.imgur.com/0JHwyg6.jpg

Easy Rider
06-19-2019, 06:12 PM
We already have "self driving" cars in Florida.
They are the ones with 90+ year old drivers passed out behind the wheel. :yikes:

JerryB
06-19-2019, 09:56 PM
Hi Easy,

Re: 90+ year old drivers passed out behind the wheel.

According to the segment I watched on the national news the other night, it is NOT old folks passed out behind the wheel.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
06-20-2019, 06:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W94BXQI6Eo

dondje
06-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Actually with the couple deaths in the last year or so this 'law of averages' is no longer true. Human drivers have a MUCH safer record at the moment.

That is not true. All deaths and injuries world wide have been taken into account for the current statistics. AV are running about 3x safer for deaths per millions of miles driven than human driven.

The nice thing about AV is that the accident can be analyzed and programming can be updated on other vehicles so that the odds of the same mistake happening again is drastically reduced. Doesn't really happen with humans.

Insurance companies are soon going to be charging way more for human drivers than AV. Human drivers will be assumed to be at fault as more and more info is produced by the AV systems as they communicate with each other going down the road. Humans are fast becoming the weak link.

Regards,

Don

Grandpot
06-20-2019, 11:01 AM
How about a self driving Spyder?:yikes:

Bob Denman
06-20-2019, 11:02 AM
"Humans are fast becoming the weak link."

So: are you ready to volunteer to become Soylent Green?

azprince
06-20-2019, 12:58 PM
I recently read that the current AI systems only recognized pedestrians less than 40% of the time and that includes bicyclists. So don't let them blow smoke in your face. Also. I just found out that AI doesn't know location like we do. They are not aware of things like shopping areas, schools etc. So they can keep their smart vehicles. I'm not buying. BTW how does it know lanes when the paint is covered by snow? They also expect that we will behave in
a certain fashion. Drive Cali freeways sometime and watch for unpredictable behavior. Their brains are digital, we have analog brains. I rest my case.

Easy Rider
06-20-2019, 04:55 PM
Hi Easy,

Re: 90+ year old drivers passed out behind the wheel.

According to the segment I watched on the national news the other night, it is NOT old folks passed out behind the wheel.

Jerry Baumchen

HUH ?? What isn't what ???

(It was a JOKE......mostly.)

Lew L
06-20-2019, 06:03 PM
BOB,

" So: are you ready to volunteer to become Soylent Green?"

A blast from the past!!!! Plenty of folks here won't get it though. My dad was the spitin' image of Edward G. Robinson.

dondje
06-20-2019, 07:39 PM
I recently read that the current AI systems only recognized pedestrians less than 40% of the time and that includes bicyclists. So don't let them blow smoke in your face. Also. I just found out that AI doesn't know location like we do. They are not aware of things like shopping areas, schools etc. So they can keep their smart vehicles. I'm not buying. BTW how does it know lanes when the paint is covered by snow? They also expect that we will behave in
a certain fashion. Drive Cali freeways sometime and watch for unpredictable behavior. Their brains are digital, we have analog brains. I rest my case.

Admittedly most of the trials are in the south, so snow is not an issue yet. With 5G communication, snow won't be an issue in any city unless the vehicle is out of its element. Cheap transmitters are coming to every intersection, in every city. All AI vehicles are also going to talk with each other in real time. Non-AI vehicles are soon going to be required to have a communication device attached to their ODB port so that AI vehicles can track them and even control their speed, braking etc.

Right now there are driverless, steering wheelless, no driver seat, AI vehicles traveling the streets of a few major cities everyday. New cities are getting in line to be testing sights. There are also a few hundred long haul AI trucks on the road everyday (with backup drivers). Their brains are digital and they are programed to drive safely; not text, answer phones, eat, drink, sleep, exhibit road rage, break traffic laws, DUI, etc. When was the last time you heard of a human beating a digital brain at chess?

The cost of insurance and cities restrictive laws against human drivers will be what forces us into AI. Human transport will have to park at the edge of the city and move to AI to get around from there. People can stick their head in the sand if they want. Perhaps some may still have some phone booth manufacturer stock. Just know that AI is coming and its coming fast.

Regards,

Don

Gwolf
06-20-2019, 07:48 PM
25 years ago Popular Science Mag said we would all have flying cars in 10 years. I didn't get mine and I want it.

dondje
06-20-2019, 10:05 PM
25 years ago Popular Science Mag said we would all have flying cars in 10 years. I didn't get mine and I want it.

They have been available the whole time and evolving. Most just failed to buy them as they have been very expensive to buy and operate. Closer now than ever before to being affordable, and they are electric. AV and remote control drones are currently filling taxi and delivery roles, in a few markets. More to quickly come.

Regards,

Don

DGoebel
06-20-2019, 10:12 PM
I was just thinking I need to drive to Key West on my Spyder before the glaciers and ice caps melt and Florida is completely submerged and NOW I gotta worry about this?

Gwolf
06-20-2019, 10:35 PM
They have been available the whole time and evolving. Most just failed to buy them as they have been very expensive to buy and operate. Closer now than ever before to being affordable, and they are electric. AV and remote control drones are currently filling taxi and delivery roles, in a few markets. More to quickly come.

Regards,

Don

Are they finally going to pave my road before all that stuff gets here or do they have mud bogging robot truck now?

Bob Denman
06-21-2019, 06:53 AM
BOB,

" So: are you ready to volunteer to become Soylent Green?"

A blast from the past!!!! Plenty of folks here won't get it though. My dad was the spitin' image of Edward G. Robinson.
That was his last movie. I believe that he passed before it even got to the theaters... :pray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UPDUpjkHg0

Grandpot
06-21-2019, 08:14 AM
I thought we were talking about Key Lime pie down in the Keys.:yikes:

JerryB
06-21-2019, 03:46 PM
Hi Easy,

Re ( again ): drivers passed out behind the wheel.

'Symptoms include periods of excessive daytime sleepiness that usually last from seconds to minutes and may occur at any time.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcolepsy

I've suffered from it my entire adult life. And, I have fallen asleep at the wheel a number of times.

:yikes:

Jerry Baumchen

Rogue Hawk
06-21-2019, 04:01 PM
In Florida? Will they have the blinker on all the time and drive 10 mph under the speed limit to fit in?

Gwolf
06-21-2019, 04:15 PM
In Florida? Will they have the blinker on all the time and drive 10 mph under the speed limit to fit in?

Of course they will......... it is the law here. It is in the driver's Handbook........ next page after "Turning left across 2 lanes of traffic without using the blinkers".

That comes under Bingo Night Rush Hour rules for "The Villages".

PCBeachBum
06-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Biggest hazzard in this part of FL is Tourist, who haven't a clue where they are going and anything can happen on any day, but especially on Fridays, when they come to the beach.

Stroker
06-22-2019, 06:59 PM
can't cover every situation.
Motorcycle riders be aware in FL! Will these autos recognize motorcycles on the roads? Let the lawsuits begin?

https://www.technocracy.news/florida-first-to-waive-driver-requirement-for-self-driving-autos/

Rogue Hawk
06-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Of course they will......... it is the law here. It is in the driver's Handbook........ next page after "Turning left across 2 lanes of traffic without using the blinkers".

That comes under Bingo Night Rush Hour rules for "The Villages".

There is also the law to plow into 30 pedestrians and not know what happed.

glennm
06-24-2019, 03:13 PM
Biggest hazzard in this part of FL is Tourist, who haven't a clue where they are going and anything can happen on any day, but especially on Fridays, when they come to the beach.

I'll be one of them come November so beware especially as I have to drive on the wrong, I mean right side. Hope you don't have any roundabouts! Only beach we will be visiting is Cocoa Beach as we grew up with I dream of Jeannie.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-24-2019, 04:03 PM
There is also the law to plow into 30 pedestrians and not know what happed.

maybe in paris or nyc

Easy Rider
06-30-2019, 02:12 PM
And, I have fallen asleep at the wheel a number of times.

I can't say anything nice or constructive about that.......
So I will just wish you luck.

Gwolf
06-30-2019, 03:38 PM
I'll be one of them come November so beware especially as I have to drive on the wrong, I mean right side. Hope you don't have any roundabouts! Only beach we will be visiting is Cocoa Beach as we grew up with I dream of Jeannie.

Yeah, we do have a few round-a-bouts. Unfortunately, the suspension of safe driving rules only applies to little old, blue haired ladies in Caddies. Visitors from Oz still have to obey the traffic rules.

JerryB
06-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Hi Easy,

Re: So I will just wish you luck.

I can use it; and have been mostly lucky so far. And it is something that I think about all the time when driving.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I have never heard of a cure for Narcolepsy.

glennm
06-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Yeah, we do have a few round-a-bouts. Unfortunately, the suspension of safe driving rules only applies to little old, blue haired ladies in Caddies. Visitors from Oz still have to obey the traffic rules.

LoL. Thanks thought that might be the case. Similar here on the gold coast except they are driving a Merc or lexus. So Gwolf what is the best air boat ride to go on?

Gwolf
06-30-2019, 08:21 PM
LoL. Thanks thought that might be the case. Similar here on the gold coast except they are driving a Merc or lexus. So Gwolf what is the best air boat ride to go on?

Don't know, used to own one, but never been on any of the tourist air boat rides. Still got friends that own them. I ride with them sometimes.

I was with the 834th Air Division at Ton Sun Nhut back in the early 70s. We had a RAAF C-7 Caribou Squadron assigned there too. I was on C-130s out of Ching Chuan Kang Air Base.

glennm
07-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Don't know, used to own one, but never been on any of the tourist air boat rides. Still got friends that own them. I ride with them sometimes.

Thanks have been checking youtube as well.

Bob Denman
07-09-2019, 11:46 AM
Hi Easy,

I can use it; and have been mostly lucky so far. And it is something that I think about all the time when driving.

Jerry Baumchen

Narcolepsy has an odd way of curing itself...
It usually involves a solid impact with a bridge upright, or a tree! :yikes:

JerryB
07-09-2019, 11:54 AM
Hi Bob,

Re: Narcolepsy has an odd way of curing itself... It usually involves a solid impact with a bridge upright, or a tree!

Back in '68, I did hit a bridge; didn't cure it.

Any other suggestions that might work?

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
07-09-2019, 01:03 PM
I would say that you need a bit more "terminal" velocity...

But I really, truly wouldn't want that to happen to you! nojoke

Easy Rider
07-09-2019, 03:21 PM
Back in '68, I did hit a bridge; didn't cure it.

Any other suggestions that might work?

Jerry Baumchen

OK, this has gone far enough.
How exactly is it that a person with narcolepsy is still driving or riding a motorcycle ?
Forget the danger to you, how about the danger to the others on the road AROUND you ?

This is really just a troll, right ??

Bob Denman
07-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Nope... it's just our Jerry! :D
There's an old saying:
"Love the Sinner; but hate the sin..."

JerryB
07-09-2019, 06:55 PM
Hi Easy,

Re: how about the danger to the others on the road AROUND you ?

A few years ago, here in Oregon, a guy fell asleep & the wheel and killed two people. He was not charged as falling asleep at the wheel is not illegal in Oregon.

Re: This is really just a troll, right ??

Nope, could not be more truthful.

I deal with it by drinking a LOT of caffeine ( Coke, coffee, etc ) whenever I feel it coming on.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
07-10-2019, 06:36 AM
Jerry,
I do have a question:
While falling asleep at the wheel isn't illegal: how does Oregon feel about folks who drive while knowing that they suffer from a condition which does endanger the public?

And that it was never disclosed on an application for a license; or it's renewal?

(Okay: TWO questions...)

JerryB
07-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Hi Bob,

Re: how does Oregon feel about folks who drive while knowing that they suffer from a condition which does endanger the public?

That is an opinion & will vary with the responder. Actually, lots of people drive with some condition that could impair them. My next door neighbor's grandfather had a seizure while driving & caused an 8-car accident.

Re: And that it was never disclosed on an application for a license; or it's renewal?

Nope.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Many, many years ago, while applying for life insurance, I was asked if I flew an airplane. I said, 'No.' They did not ask if I skydived.

PPS) Life is a fatal condition.

wyliec
07-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Hi Easy,

Jerry Baumchen

This isn't a cure, but it's supposed to help:

https://www.sunosi.com

Gwolf
07-10-2019, 12:27 PM
The thread is about self-driving cars. If they get those perfected enough to actually put them to some practical use, then that is the answer to the narcolepsy problem.

Easy Rider
07-10-2019, 12:48 PM
A few years ago, here in Oregon, a guy fell asleep & the wheel and killed two people. He was not charged as falling asleep at the wheel is not illegal in Oregon.

I think that is an urban myth.

Even if it is not, driving with a medical condition that is known to make you go unconscious at random times is not quite the same thing.
And I think continuing to drive while the condition is not 100% controlled is dangerous and irresponsible......and probably illegal too.

So.....do you think that driving with your eyes closed is illegal ?
Maybe we should be OK with blind people behind the wheel.

This is ridiculous.

Gwolf
07-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Even if it is not, driving with a medical condition that is known to make you go unconscious at random times is not quite the same thing.
And I think continuing to drive while the condition is not 100% controlled is dangerous and irresponsible......and probably illegal too.

This is ridiculous.

I am not absolutely positive who it was, but I think Stevie Wonder pulled out in front of me from a side road a few times.

Bob Denman
07-10-2019, 01:49 PM

This is ridiculous.

Awww... Where's the milk of human kindness with you?

It must be rough: having to be so perfect; yet existing among such human imperfection around you.

JerryB
07-10-2019, 03:28 PM
Hi Easy,

Re: I think that is an urban myth.

You can think what you want. It happened in Oregon, I live here.

Re: Maybe we should be OK with blind people behind the wheel.

About 40 yrs ago, here in Portland, a blind guy was driving & crashed into another car. At his trial, he was found Not Guilty. My wife ( at the time ) was on the jury & voted Not Guilty.

You may choose to not believe these things, but they are very true.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
07-10-2019, 05:05 PM
Yeah... But in happened in Oregon! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
07-11-2019, 11:10 AM
I am not absolutely positive who it was, but I think Stevie Wonder pulled out in front of me from a side road a few times.

About a hundred years or so ago...Ronnie Milsap was being interviewed on a talk show. He eluded to the fact that he had driven a car many times. He said his helper would give him directions about starting, stopping and direction.

Sooooooo...it is possible and it has been done.

bcer960
07-11-2019, 11:18 AM
This question is for Bob Denman, as I know he is in insurance....

If all vehicles will be self driving, who is going to cover the insurance of them? I know I will not be, as I have no control over it's actions, therefore why should I be held responsible for it...

Just a thought

Bob Denman
07-11-2019, 11:38 AM
That IS... the $64,000 question! :thumbup:

As of right now: the driver/passenger is liable.
In today's self-driving vehicles: that person still retains the ability to control the vehicle...

Who knows what the future may bring?

bcer960
07-11-2019, 11:44 AM
Just wondering what the industry is saying.... thanks for the info

Bob Denman
07-11-2019, 11:52 AM
They've been "suspiciously quiet..." :shocked:

bcer960
07-11-2019, 11:54 AM
I can understand the licensing being the responsibility of the owner, but not the insurance

JerryB
07-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Hi bcer960,

Re: I can understand the licensing being the responsibility of the owner, but not the insurance

IMO this is one of those things that the first court case will set the precedent for all future responsibility to follow.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
07-12-2019, 06:35 AM
Hi bcer960,

Re: I can understand the licensing being the responsibility of the owner, but not the insurance

IMO this is one of those things that the first court case will set the precedent for all future responsibility to follow.

Jerry Baumchen

:shocked: Courts... Legislators... The DMV... The Insurance Companies...
Which bungling bureaucracy would you like to decide the finer points of this pending issue? :dontknow:

Pick your poison! :gaah:

bcer960
07-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Oh, I have no doubt that the insurance companies will still find a way to take all my money. At least all thats left from the government, oh wait, our car insurance company is the government. And with no other choices they are getting it all. ( $1800 for a years fire theft etc. and 6 months of riding ) So, I guess nothing will change

Bob Denman
07-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Right now: I've got nothing to complain about; when it comes to my insurance companies...
The auto and house insurances combine for only about $1,350 per year...
The Health insurance is a bit steep at $2,150 per Month :yikes:
But the Missus is undergoing chemotherapy :shocked:, and they're paying the bills for it... :pray:

canamjhb
07-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Twenty years ago I was traveling just outside Leavenworth, Wa. on my GL1500 and was rear-ended by a driver who fell asleep at the wheel. His fender kissed the chrome trim on my saddlebag. (at 50MPH). I was skilled and lucky enough to not go down. We pulled over and I gave him a good tongue lashing. He promised to stay there and get some sleep If I would not report him. After going down the road, I doubled back 10 minutes later and guess what, he was gone. JerryB, if that was you, I do not forgive you. I kept that scuffed chrome trim on the bike as a reminder of the idiots on the road and that I need to be aware of them at all times. I know this is off topic and I am sorry for that. But this thread morphed to that issue. To ALL of you reading this that have an impairment condition, please address it. We don't need you driving around "locked and loaded" looking for a target. That target could be your family or mine. Deal with it. End of rant..... Jim