PDA

View Full Version : Squeaks and rattles

Airborne
06-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Hi All.

I love my 18 F3 LTD with 3000 km. However she squeaks at the front [suspension i figure] and the motor rattles a fair bit [hot or cold]

I'm not particularly bothered about it but 'is it normal!' or should i be seeing the dealer about it.

Thanks AB

Peter Aawen
06-12-2019, 12:36 AM
You might want to listen to the engine on somebody else's F3 & maybe even a couple of 1330 engined RT's too, just for comparisons sake of course, but I think you'll find ALL the 1330 motored Spyders sound 'a little rattly' if you're used to just about anything else!! :shocked: So without any further info/detail about the what/where & how of it, THAT particular noise is most likely a 'normal for the engine' type noise, and a comparison should let you know pdq :dontknow:

The squeaky front end tho, that's something not so frequently encountered so you'd like to hope it's not a sign of anything drastic. You might be able to really narrow down the focus & identify the source of that particular squeak by squirting a little water or maybe even some Windex on each moving joint in turn and then checking for the squeak while that particular joint is the only joint that's wet before moving on to the next, gradually working your way around each potential joint/bush/whatever & testing them while wet one at a time.... so tthat by a process of slow elimination, you'll eventually identify the exact source of the noise!! Yeah, it can be time consuming doing it that way but eventually you'll find EXACTLY where the noise you are concerned about is actually coming from & you can then make a 'more informed' decision on how to remedy it permanently!! :ohyea:

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting! :thumbup:

rtotten
06-12-2019, 01:02 AM
For the mirrors get some wedges from Squared Away! They will fix the noise and vibration that should not be there!

MakoShark2
06-12-2019, 01:42 AM
They do squeak a bit... I know mine does.

Got some squeaks on the front suspension and on the brakes, specially when in hot weather.

The engine has a different sound when cold (specially on the left side). But I guess like any dry sump engine.

Airborne
06-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Thanks all, i will have a look at the suspension and i suspect the engine rattle is normal. With the wedges, i am not aware of any noise from the mirrors.

JayBros
06-12-2019, 07:24 PM
I don't have an F3 but mine came with a Bajaron sway bar and it squeaked just a bit until a got a few hundred miles on it and has been quiet ever since. Now the engine, that sounds a mite like an industrial sewing machine until it warms up but who cares.

Airborne
06-13-2019, 01:34 AM
I don't have an F3 but mine came with a Bajaron sway bar and it squeaked just a bit until a got a few hundred miles on it and has been quiet ever since. Now the engine, that sounds a mite like an industrial sewing machine until it warms up but who cares.

Ha! yep shouldn't worry me and doesn't, just checking!

Maybe the suspension is just loosening up she's still fairly new, as for the motor i came off a F6B With that beautiful 1800 smoothness so i guess i'm gonna notice the difference.

cptjam
06-13-2019, 02:01 AM
Grab the mirror and see if it moves up and down. If it does, it needs a wedgie. Joe

rwill2cruz
06-13-2019, 07:30 AM
The exhaust flashing coming out of the engine can rattle. I used some header wrap to wedge between it and the exhaust pipe to cure that.

LeftCoast
06-13-2019, 07:35 AM
My cup holder squeaks when the road is bumpy

Airborne
06-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Grab the mirror and see if it moves up and down. If it does, it needs a wedgie. Joe

Thanks for that, do you mean just the mirrors or the full housing.

I see you've 'had the slipstream between your legs' ;)AB

Airborne
06-13-2019, 07:50 PM
The exhaust flashing coming out of the engine can rattle. I used some header wrap to wedge between it and the exhaust pipe to cure that.

Thanks, i'll check!