PDA

View Full Version : Loud whining sound at idle after a fairly short run

Jaxfann
06-06-2019, 06:10 PM
I have a Ryker 600 Ace with about 600 miles on it. It runs great!

However after the last couple of runs of only 10/15 miles I hear a high pitched whine when the engine is idling (don't think it was there before).

I think the sound remains but the sound of the engine is louder so don't hear it when moving.

Does this sound normal?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks.

Markubis
06-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Silly question maybe, but is it the fan?

Jaxfann
06-06-2019, 06:39 PM

I must confess I am totally non mechanical - it could well be - maybe you are supposed to hear it - I really don't know.

Jaxfann
06-06-2019, 06:50 PM
I must confess I am totally non mechanical - it could well be - maybe you are supposed to hear it - I really don't know.

Yea - temperatures down here are in the 90's so I guess if I start it cold in the morning and don't hear it that is probably what it is.

Thanks

Markubis
06-07-2019, 07:44 AM

I know that when I leave mine idling for a while after a ride on a warm day the cooling fan kicks on and its kind of noisy if you're not expecting it. It stays on after you shut of the Ryker. Not sure if that's the noise you hear though.

Tslepebull
06-07-2019, 08:34 AM
I hear the same with my Rally. It is not the fan; that is a separate noise. What I hear is similar to the whine of fluorescent lights or a transformer. I have assumed it is the fuel pump or perhaps the magneto.

Chupaca
06-07-2019, 12:29 PM
if it is constant and not affected by the rpm's more than likely it is the fan thought should only run till the temp is back in check. Not familiar with the Ryker but most are that way....:thumbup:

Aufgeblassen47
06-07-2019, 12:34 PM
I've never heard mine come on yet.

Jaxfann
06-07-2019, 12:57 PM
I know that when I leave mine idling for a while after a ride on a warm day the cooling fan kicks on and its kind of noisy if you're not expecting it. It stays on after you shut of the Ryker. Not sure if that's the noise you hear though.

As the noise stopped after engine shut off I don't think it is the fan.

The sound is similar to the one Tslepebull hears.

I started Ryker 600 up this morning - temps in the low 80's - and drove 30/40 mph for about 10 miles - no sound until towards the end when I started to hear it very faintly.

Trike running well so I am not too alarmed - will have it checked at 1,000 miles when I will have the oil changed.

I appreciate your responses.

poli
06-07-2019, 01:02 PM
I've never heard mine come on yet.

You really to have your hearing checked then.

mikeyuberalles
06-07-2019, 02:23 PM
General consensus is fuel pump whine. A lot of people (including myself) just started hearing it within the last few weeks.

Jaxfann
06-07-2019, 02:55 PM
General consensus is fuel pump whine. A lot of people (including myself) just started hearing it within the last few weeks.

Thanks - do I assume not an issue other than the whine?

mikeyuberalles
06-10-2019, 07:31 AM
Thanks - do I assume not an issue other than the whine?

The jury is still out. Some folks have been told by their dealers that it is normal, (which seems odd to me. If it was normal why would it suddenly start after 2 months).
Other have gotten new fuel pumps.

For now, I'm waiting it out and will bring it up when I get my 3000 check-up if nothing get worse. Oh, I did just switch back to premium gasoline to see if that makes a difference.
It's going to be raining on and off all week, so I probably won't get much riding to see if the gas makes any difference.

Jaxfann
06-11-2019, 05:39 PM
The jury is still out. Some folks have been told by their dealers that it is normal, (which seems odd to me. If it was normal why would it suddenly start after 2 months).

For now, I'm waiting it out and will bring it up when I get my 3000 check-up if nothing get worse. Oh, I did just switch back to premium gasoline to see if that makes a difference.
It's going to be raining on and off all week, so I probably won't get much riding to see if the gas makes any difference.

I am using premium gas.

dedave
06-11-2019, 08:25 PM

If I were to guess, after a few miles and enough bouncing, the fuel pump could move or settle in and the sock or some part of the assembly may now be hitting the tank. That and/or they are just noticing it when the tank is running a bit on the empty side and acting like an echo chamber. It is right infront of you after all.

Azbronco
06-17-2019, 08:05 PM
I just heard the whining today. It was hot--about 88 degrees in GA. I'd been riding about 25 minutes when I heard it at a stop light. I heard it at the last couple of lights and in my garage when I got home--the noise stopped immediately when I cut the power. Definitely not the fan--I heard the fan kick on at one of the lights. I'm guessing it's related to the high temperature and the fuel pump. I'm not worried about it but will keep an ear out. I've only ever put premium fuel in mine.

bcraig
06-17-2019, 08:19 PM
I just heard the whining today. It was hot--about 88 degrees in GA. I'd been riding about 25 minutes when I heard it at a stop light. I heard it at the last couple of lights and in my garage when I got home--the noise stopped immediately when I cut the power. Definitely not the fan--I heard the fan kick on at one of the lights. I'm guessing it's related to the high temperature and the fuel pump. I'm not worried about it but will keep an ear out. I've only ever put premium fuel in mine.

A few days ago I experienced this too. Seemed to be coming from the area of the gas tank. I only use premium gas too. I shut it down when I got home and then started it right back up and the sound returned. I shut it down and waited about 30 minutes and when I started it up the noise was gone. I probably had about 150 miles on the tank at the time, so I'm thinking it had something to do with tank pressure and venting. I filled up shortly after that and haven't heard the sound again. I'll see how it goes when it gets low on gas again.

KC61
06-18-2019, 08:47 PM
I usually hear whining when I get home from a ride, it's my wife.

cueman
06-18-2019, 08:50 PM
now that was funny. :roflblack: cueman

KC61
06-18-2019, 08:56 PM
She's a keeper though, why? I can't get her to leave.

Zoot
06-22-2019, 07:46 PM
I happened to be out in the garage one evening and heard a whine under the wife's late-model toyota. After a bunch of research I discovered that it's supposed to do that. The fuel injection pump cycles 4 hours after the engine is shut off, something to do with purging the evaporative emissions system?

spyderwing57
06-22-2019, 08:13 PM
:agree:

canamjhb
06-22-2019, 11:16 PM
The fuel pumps in the RTL are noisy..... at least mine is. There have been many discussions about this on the forum. Some have had replacements done and some live with it as I do. Doesn't seem to have any effect on performance or longevity of the pump. Just irritating. Probably the same pumps used on the Ryker.....? Jim

Mikey
06-23-2019, 07:52 AM

:clap::roflblack: Oh your in for it!!!

cueman
06-23-2019, 10:00 AM
A few days ago I experienced this too. Seemed to be coming from the area of the gas tank. I only use premium gas too. I shut it down when I got home and then started it right back up and the sound returned. I shut it down and waited about 30 minutes and when I started it up the noise was gone. I probably had about 150 miles on the tank at the time, so I'm thinking it had something to do with tank pressure and venting. I filled up shortly after that and haven't heard the sound again. I'll see how it goes when it gets low on gas again.

I heard my Rally doing a vent type of noise at each idle yesterday. I think it has some thing to do with tank venting also. I describe it as a single tone whistle. Let’s get to the bottom of this. :agree: cueman

bcraig
06-24-2019, 05:30 AM
I heard my Rally doing a vent type of noise at each idle yesterday. I think it has some thing to do with tank venting also. I describe it as a single tone whistle. Let’s get to the bottom of this. :agree: cueman

I've experienced this twice now. I've noticed that it happens when I have put 140-150 miles on the current tank of gas. If I fill up the sound goes away. My conclusion is it's related to the fuel pump or tank pressurizing/venting.

cueman
06-24-2019, 08:49 AM
:agree: but how can we eliminate it? :chat: cueman

bcraig
06-24-2019, 10:40 AM
:agree: but how can we eliminate it? :chat: cueman

Like with a kid when it starts whining, feed it. In this case the food is gasoline. I talked to the service manager about this today and he checked for any service bulletins on this and there were none. One of the techs mentioned he gets this when his ATV is low on gas too.

I guess it's the nature of the beast.

cueman
06-24-2019, 03:17 PM
Sounds like a plan. Just another little quark. :doorag: cueman

Azbronco
07-10-2019, 06:50 AM
This happened to me again yesterday—but same situation as the first time. Temps were about 90 and the gas was down to the last two bars. On the third trip of the day I stopped to fill up and no more humming. It doesn’t worry me—there have been a lot of noises come and go on my Ryker but it runs perfectly fine.

mrNewt
07-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Pretty normal I would say... F3s are doing it and the RS-S that I have its doing it.
Don't know if it matters what gas level you have in the tank... last night I filled up late in the night and while I was in the driveway (was really quiet) I remember hearing the fans for a few seconds after shutting it off and then a low pitch, continuous whine, for a couple of minutes...

- - - - -

Just found this from an older thread (around 2012) here on the forums - copy pasting here:

"When prepping 2011 Spyder RT models, you may
notice a faint "humming" or "buzzing" noise coming
from the area under the center glove box after the key
is turned off. The humming will continue for 40 minutes
each time the key is shut off unless interrupted by
another start sequence or an MPI is connected. This is
normal and they will all do it. What you hear is the
Electric Throttle Actuator( ETC) holding the throttle
plates fully closed until the engine cools down. This
feature will allow a normal start up when the engine is
completely heat soaked."

Is a feature of the fly-by-wire throttle.

Freezefm
07-13-2019, 08:38 AM
It seems to be related to temperature only. Filled up or low on fuel, I have heard the "whine". I don't think it's a venting issue as I have heard it after the Ryker has sat all day in the sun. The whine starts at the power up process before starting the engine, it stops when the fuel pressure has built up, then starts again when the engine is started.

Francis

Tslepebull
07-13-2019, 10:06 AM
I have been hearing the same faint whine with mine; also starts at power up. However, Thursday night it did it again and was not faint, it was loud enough that at first I thought it was some type of alarm. All of my gauges and lights were normal so I finished driving it home. I could hear it up to about 40 mph. I dropped the unit off at my dealer yesterday; it was not as loud as Thursday night but clearly made the same sound. I will let them work it out. The important thing is that I now have an official record associated with that unit. They are going to replace my front tires to try to correct the wobble that no amount of balancing has been able to correct.

I get it, it is a new model with some growing pains. I bought mine in January so it was one of the first units brought into the country.. Lucky me; a beta tester.

cueman
07-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Gotcha beat, I bought my in Dec. :yikes: cueman

Freezefm
07-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Gotcha beat, I bought my in Dec. :yikes: cueman

As did I! December 15.

Francis

Tslepebull
07-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Mine was the first one my dealer sold. I wanted the free extended B.E.S.T. warranty.

cueman
07-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Yes, I also got the B E S T extended warranty for two additional years. :2thumbs: cueman

mxtgary
07-13-2019, 05:08 PM
Not sure what the noise is, guessing most of you are right (fuel pump) but I just filled up the gas tank and 10 minutes later heard the whine, had about 700 miles on it before I heard the sound for the first time, now its more and more often

Rob Rodriguez
07-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Its the fuel pump for sure. Mine started doing it after 1200 miles. It does it now when I ride for a long period of time (couple hours). I notice if I add fuel (cold gas) the noise goes away and then after some time (gas heats up) the noise comes back. So much be a heat issue. It can be very loud. Annoyingly so.

CTAC
07-16-2019, 08:01 PM
Same exact issues with my Rally. Hope BRP will cover the cost of replacing the noisey pump. Terribly annoying.

mrNewt
07-17-2019, 06:30 AM
Anyone has an actual video clip of this noise? Will be helpful to other people to at least get an idea how it sounds and how loud it is.

Jaxfann
07-17-2019, 04:45 PM
Mine has quit doing it currently!

CTAC
07-17-2019, 08:32 PM
I have several recorded on my phone.

RykerUSA
07-18-2019, 06:19 AM
Other than an irritating sound, has anyone actually had a breakdown because of a fuel pump problem?

Inquiring minds need to know.

mrNewt
07-18-2019, 06:48 AM
I have several recorded on my phone.

Put it on YT, share it with the people (if you want) :).

CTAC
07-18-2019, 04:47 PM
https://youtu.be/QCfI7zF7CiU
https://youtu.be/MJ9JJdULFZo
https://youtu.be/O2-Mi5EUV68

No performance problems that I have noticed but sure doesn't sound pleasant.

KID Ryker
07-18-2019, 08:24 PM
I hear the same with my Rally. It is not the fan; that is a separate noise. What I hear is similar to the whine of fluorescent lights or a transformer. I have assumed it is the fuel pump or perhaps the magneto.:agree: Going Saturday to dealer let you know what I find out.

FBRKR
07-18-2019, 09:02 PM
following, mine started today also :(

mrNewt
07-18-2019, 10:24 PM

Damn... that would drive nuts and start climbing walls in no time :|.

CTAC
07-21-2019, 07:46 AM
Damn... that would drive nuts and start climbing walls in no time :|.

Other than this intermittent annoying noise, the wheels needing an alignment and learning to accept nuances of the clunky drivetrain, I think the engineering is pretty well executed. Gas mileage is right around the 30 mark but I accelerate hard almost every chance I get (fun factor). Rotax engine at 6K sure sounds sweet. Maybe I will get a F3 Limited someday, but for now this little beast is too much fun.

Jaxfann
07-21-2019, 09:18 PM
Other than an irritating sound, has anyone actually had a breakdown because of a fuel pump problem?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Runs perfectly

Jaxfann
07-21-2019, 09:24 PM

That is quite a bit louder than the sound I used to get!

mrNewt
07-22-2019, 09:57 AM
Other than this intermittent annoying noise, the wheels needing an alignment and learning to accept nuances of the clunky drivetrain, I think the engineering is pretty well executed. Gas mileage is right around the 30 mark but I accelerate hard almost every chance I get (fun factor). Rotax engine at 6K sure sounds sweet. Maybe I will get a F3 Limited someday, but for now this little beast is too much fun.

I have nothing against the Ryker. I like them... I love their look and all.
I was only saying that a noise like that will literally drive me nuts... I have issues with continuous high pitch noises - I get irritated very quickly. I would personally most probably end up driving it into a wall if I would hear that constantly.

CTAC
07-22-2019, 04:22 PM
I have nothing against the Ryker. I like them... I love their look and all.
I was only saying that a noise like that will literally drive me nuts... I have issues with continuous high pitch noises - I get irritated very quickly. I would personally most probably end up driving it into a wall if I would hear that constantly.

I totally get it. I'm thinking if enough folks respond with their fuel pump whine stories, maybe that will infulence BRP to take a close look at the issue. Root cause is probably something very simple.

Rob Rodriguez
07-22-2019, 04:44 PM
According to some FB groups BRP will install a new pump for those that go to dealers and complain and the new pump is of a new design. Don't know if its true? I'm waiting till riding season is over here before I take it to the dealer for the pump.

CENTAUR
07-24-2019, 08:33 PM

😂😂😂😂😄😄😋

CENTAUR
07-24-2019, 08:40 PM
A very loud sort of whistle started today on my Rally after scraping a speed bump. I'm thinking I may have pinched the gas vent and it's acting like a pinched balloon as one let's the air out.🤔🤠

Jheck
07-28-2019, 06:19 AM
I totally get it. I'm thinking if enough folks respond with their fuel pump whine stories, maybe that will infulence BRP to take a close look at the issue. Root cause is probably something very simple.

Good luck with that. Remember DESS, and 13,s catching fire. Don’t mean to be a spoil sport, just sayin. BRP doesn’t respond to readily, other than cashing our checks.

NickiJ
07-28-2019, 05:21 PM
Hello all.. thought I would tell you what happened with me yesterday
Picked up my Rally just about two weeks ago. I have now less just under 200 miles on it. I experienced the whining early on but yesterday during a group ride, about 75 miles in....the sound elevated to an extremely loud whine. Enough so that my biker friend riding behind me could hear it and that was with his earplugs in. We cut the ride short and headed over to the dealership I purchased it from so they could hear it first hand. After about and hour of inspecting it (I assume they took it apart to look).. they determined it was the full pump.

Rob Rodriguez
07-28-2019, 07:33 PM
I have about 2300 miles on my Rally. The fuel pump whine started at about 1200 miles. It comes and goes and can be quite loud. Loud enough so I hear it over the music in my Bluetooth speakers. I find keeping it more full with gas vs the gas gauge reading 3/4 or below helps for less whine. I haven't had any issues in the thousand miles its been doing it. It's just annoying. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to take it for a 500 mile or more trip tomorrow.

NickiJ
07-28-2019, 09:20 PM
Thanks Rob

Sarge707
07-29-2019, 12:24 PM
Hot day- Stopped for gas after 100 miles of 92 degrees- Fan on and little whine before shutdown- Filled with gas -drove 5 miles home to garage - No whine- No fan.

Severnpaul
07-29-2019, 04:05 PM
Wondering if the people with a noise pump have ever ran the fuel tank really low or completely empty.

Rob Rodriguez
07-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Wondering if the people with a noise pump have ever ran the fuel tank really low or completely empty.

Completely empty no. Low enough for the fuel light to come on......yes.

CTAC
07-29-2019, 04:58 PM
Hello all.. thought I would tell you what happened with me yesterday
Picked up my Rally just about two weeks ago. I have now less just under 200 miles on it. I experienced the whining early on but yesterday during a group ride, about 75 miles in....the sound elevated to an extremely loud whine. Enough so that my biker friend riding behind me could hear it and that was with his earplugs in. We cut the ride short and headed over to the dealership I purchased it from so they could hear it first hand. After about and hour of inspecting it (I assume they took it apart to look).. they determined it was the full pump.

I have had similiar experience while headed to the KC Chiefs training camp this weekend. While in traffic, the whine got so loud I could barely talk over it with my riding partner. Maybe others affected by this annoying anomaly will post their short videos of their fuel pump noise so BRP can get a larger sample size. Anyone know how much a new fuel pump costs?

Rob Rodriguez
07-29-2019, 05:21 PM
I have had similiar experience while headed to the KC Chiefs training camp this weekend. While in traffic, the whine got so loud I could barely talk over it with my riding partner. Maybe others affected by this annoying anomaly will post their short videos of their fuel pump noise so BRP can get a larger sample size. Anyone know how much a new fuel pump costs?

$400 on CheapCycle Parts but dealers will replace under warranty for free if you complain about it.

leenanj
07-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Seems like a lot of people having the noise issue with the fuel pump.

I only have about 600 miles on mine and have run the fuel tank almost empty
to see how far I could go and no noise yet, knock on wood.

Its a known fact that with the fuel pump located in the gas tank that it
needs some fuel covering it for cooling, this has been the case for autos
and even states it in many manuals.
With the Ryker engine directly below the tank it probably can get pretty warm on a hot day.

But that is not an excuse for whining noise or failure but it can take its toll over the years
if your in the habit of running a low fuel tank.

If I here an abnormal noise from mine you can bet it will be documented before the warranty is up.

djdilliodon
07-29-2019, 06:50 PM
What I’ve noticed on mine, whine only when really hot out and drive for a while. Once I get home and it cools off it goes away. Front wheel bearings have rust and it bothers me to death! Rear one is fine though. Brakes are a bit squeaky at times. Other then that she is perfect. Waiting for the weather to cool off and the dealer will have to fix these issues. If it leaves a bad taste in my mouth on how they handle it I’ll sell it soon as it’s all addressed and get something else.

UtahPete
07-29-2019, 09:35 PM
What I’ve noticed on mine, whine only when really hot out and drive for a while. Once I get home and it cools off it goes away. Front wheel bearings have rust and it bothers me to death! Rear one is fine though. Brakes are a bit squeaky at times. Other then that she is perfect. Waiting for the weather to cool off and the dealer will have to fix these issues. If it leaves a bad taste in my mouth on how they handle it I’ll sell it soon as it’s all addressed and get something else.

I have no idea what you just said.

djdilliodon
07-30-2019, 05:43 AM

What are u not understanding lol? I know this thread is about the whining sound but I added what else I’m experiencing.

Markubis
07-30-2019, 07:08 AM

He notices that his whines only when its hot out.

He is more bothered by the rust that is developing on his front wheel bearings.

CTAC
08-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Spoke with the mechanic at my Kansas City dealer after work today so they could hear the annoying fuel pump noise first hand. Note: Previously, the service manager had been provided videos in which you can easily hear the noise (you can refer to one of my prior posts in this thread). Good news is they looked up on the dealer service network blog and allegedly BRP is finally listening to us and have acknowledged it is a problem. However, no actionable warranty solution is yet available. If others hear updates or different information, please let us know.

MDLNB
08-14-2019, 01:17 PM
I hear the same with my Rally. It is not the fan; that is a separate noise. What I hear is similar to the whine of fluorescent lights or a transformer. I have assumed it is the fuel pump or perhaps the magneto.

Ryker uses a "magneto?" I thought magnetos were a thing of the past.

Azbronco
08-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Mine is making this sound, and I only seem to hear it when it’s hot. Sometimes, though, I get the hum when I turn on the computer (before I start the engine). Could that still be the fuel pump? If so, why would the fuel pump hum if the engine isn’t running? I thought it might be the alternator.

Peter Aawen
08-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Mine is making this sound, and I only seem to hear it when it’s hot. Sometimes, though, I get the hum when I turn on the computer (before I start the engine). Could that still be the fuel pump? If so, why would the fuel pump hum if the engine isn’t running? I thought it might be the alternator.

The fuel pump will start with the ignition, not the engine. Modern fuel injection systems need to be fully up to pressure before you try to start the engine, or it's not gonna work!

So yeah, the noise you hear when you first turn the ignition on is very likely to be the fuel pump, and not the alternator. Even if the Ryker's had one, & I'm not sure they do, instead relying on a magneto system like many other motorcycles (cheap, easy, lightweight) an alternator won't do ANYTHING until the engine is running & making it spin.... ;)

Azbronco
08-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind and ask them to look at it when I take it for the 3k check.

mxtgary
09-07-2019, 07:04 PM
Today I stopped by the dealership where I bought my Ryker asked the service manager about the whine,
He told me its the CVT that is making the noise, not the fuel pump. Don't know what to believe,
most people are sure its the fuel pump, think I agree with most people
Hasn't made the noise since the temps haven't been as high lately

RykerUSA
09-08-2019, 07:53 AM
I would say that your service manager is smoking the wacky weed. That is not the CVT. It is the fuel pump. I have had it occur to me on just a couple of occasion's and as described by many other posts, it was during hot weather with a tank there was less than half full.

Geo333
09-23-2019, 06:16 PM
I have had the same issue with my 600 Ryker. Performance is not bothered by it, but my ears are. It happens to be a periodicle issue, so I ignore it. Especially if I don't have my hearing aids in. Ha, ha. Geo333

JeffAZ
06-28-2020, 08:45 PM
So I acquired two brand new 2019 Ryker Rallys last month for my wife and I. I first noticed this whine on my tryke, and now I have heard it on hers also. On her tryke the fuel tank was full, mine was nearly full. I performed a search in these forums, and this older thread is what I found. Is this only a problem on the 2019 models? Has there been any positive solutions by BRP since this thread was last posted on 10 months ago?

gr8Frank
06-28-2020, 11:31 PM
I live in AZ too. Mine did the whine last summer but it wasn’t as prevalent in the winter. Now it is back.

cueman
06-29-2020, 01:06 AM
We all need to call BRP and complain so they know we aren’t happy with this annoying Ryker fuel pump noise. IMHO It’s a distracting, irritating, concentration breaking issue that needs rectified immediately before some one gets injured or worse!

snayl135
06-29-2020, 02:44 PM
I spoke with a dealer today. Said it’s a known issue. Currently no fix but can am supposedly working on a prototype/new fuel pump. No word yet on how can am will address this- probably through recalls but it is apparently in process by can am. So far they have not heard of any failures yet I was told

jvclarke
01-11-2021, 03:46 PM
OK - I have the 2020 900 Ace. It has happened with mine a couple times - I am in AZ but it is Winter. Temp were in the low 70’’s yesterday. About 70 miles into my ride yesterday it started whining. Continued while at a stop sign. I had about 40 miles of fuel left. This is not CVT, and not the fan (it wasn’t on). I am sure that it is the fuel pump as well. I haven’t filled up yet, but I am pretty certain that I won’t hear it today as the gas station is nearby.
I don’t remember if I was low on fuel the first time.
The whine was exactly like the 3 youtube examples sounded like.

carsong
03-27-2021, 06:13 PM
I'd like to bring this issue to the attention of our brilliant members, again, because it is driving me crazy. I am experiencing this "whine" on my 2018 F3T. It is the fuel filler opening, making the noise. If I put my hand over the seam of the opening, the noise is gone! It's air (fuel) pressure leaking through the fuel "cap". It's sort of like a tea kettle that whistles when the water heats and the air pressure increases enough to blow the whistle. Is it just a poor fitting cap? There is a rubber seal piece. Maybe it needs to be replaced? Or is the tank not venting as it should?

Peter Aawen
03-27-2021, 06:37 PM
Carsong, that's GOTTA be the tank not venting as it should!! :lecturef_smilie: The Filler cap is meant to be sealed so that fumes/vapours don't leak out that way, venting via the evap cannister instead.... so if your CAP is laking anything, it's DEFINITELY NOT VENTING via the evap cannister like it should! :rolleyes:

Blocked/failed Purge valve maybe? Kinked hose to the evap cannister? Wasp nest in the outlet/vent to atmosphere?? I really dunno which it might be, or if it'd be anything else; but if your Filler cap is bleeding anything under pressure, then the evap cannister side of the vent system is clearly not working. :gaah:

TIMEMACHINE
07-26-2021, 08:55 AM
After 2,200 miles, my 2020 600 is making the fuel pump noise.

canamjhb
07-26-2021, 02:25 PM
I spoke with a dealer today. Said it’s a known issue. Currently no fix but can am supposedly working on a prototype/new fuel pump. No word yet on how can am will address this- probably through recalls but it is apparently in process by can am. So far they have not heard of any failures yet I was told

No failures.....???? Another irresponsible response. Fuel pumps HAVE FAILED!!!!! Mine did on my 2014 RTL. I posted on this thread back in 2019 about the same exact noise others experienced and was posted on youtube. Fortunately, my pump failed in my driveway. Bike was picked up by the dealer and fixed under warranty except for my $50.00 deductible. The dealer invoiced the fuel pump R&R to BRP for over $1,000.00!!!! While my bike was sitting at the dealership waiting to be fixed (over 30 days) my warranty expired. Sold the bike as soon as it got out of the shop. I just couldn't afford to put up with this nonsense from BRP and it's dealerships. If your dealers are telling you about this not being an issue, I will be happy to provide them with all the details of my failure experience..... Jim

Peter Aawen
07-26-2021, 07:09 PM
C'mon guys, you've heard it before, but I'll say it once again - there's no need to argue!! :lecturef_smilie: A couple of posts have already been removed from public display because they were unnecessarily argumentative! :bdh:

It's pretty clear that at least SOME Rykers and SOME Spyders have or develop an intrusive fuel pump whine, possibly because both models may well use the same or at least similar fuel pumps. :dontknow: . So while this particular thread happens to be in the Ryker section (albeit maybe just for now... :rolleyes: ) there is no reason to completely ignore the experiences of those who have had the same problem on their Spyders; not is there any reason to jump on anyone else posting simply because they've offered info/their experiences with the same problem on their Spyder in an attempt to help!! :mad:

So please, play nice; and just be a little tolerant of all those who are trying to help, whether they are talking about &/or ryding a Spyder OR a Ryker! :thumbup:

sKiZo
07-27-2021, 12:06 AM
Maybe I missed it, but hearing about a possible new pump design, wondering if they've fixed it for 2021?

Also worth mentioning - rumor has it the gas gauge lies like a big wet dog, and two bars is sucking fumes.

Also wondering if potential venting issues is why they've added a for real gas cap?

And ... I've had CVT belts whine some if they glaze up. Wondering if it's the hot rodders who are having the problem?

DickB
07-27-2021, 07:13 PM
I had this happen on Day 2 of an 8-day trip. 2019 Ryker with 2500 miles on it. I only had the Ryker for a few days and was not totally familiar, so like a few others at first I thought that I was hearing some kind of warning tone. As I was already 500 miles from home, this noise caused some concern. It came and went over the trip, but quit on Day 8 and has not recurred in over a week.

Odd that Can Am has no answer for this. The service tech at a local dealer never heard of the problem.

Pantera
07-27-2021, 07:35 PM
I have not experienced this yet with my 2021 900 Ace.The bike does only have 1400 miles on it though.

n8dogg
07-28-2021, 06:06 AM
my 2 cents....I have not had any whine yet with my Ryker (I haven't put a lot of miles on it yet), but reading this thread got me thinking of my car. It's a Suzuki Kizashi with a CVT that likes to whine. Us Kizashi owners discovered that doing a fluid exchange on the CVT greatly reduced it and is proving to extend the life of the CVT, despite Suzukis insistence that it's a maintenance free item...glad I didn't listen to them! All that to say, someday if I get the whine I may start with a CVT fluid exchange...at least as a good preventative maintenance procedure if nothing else! (...now wondering what the service interval is for the CVT, if at all according to BRP?? Guess I'll have to look into that someday)

DickB
07-28-2021, 06:38 AM
It's not the CVT. The noise occurs when first powering up the Ryker when the fuel pump pressurizes the system, before the motor turns over.

Belt replacement at 12K miles. No fluid.

sKiZo
07-28-2021, 07:00 PM
It's not the CVT. A SIMILAR noise occurs when first powering up the Ryker when the fuel pump pressurizes the system, before the motor turns over.

There ... fixed it for ya ... <G>

That said, my Royal Star's fuel pump will whine some when sucking fumes. Not actually any louder, but the big gas tank makes a great resonator.

PS ... anyone get down and dirty yet with a mechanic's stethoscope to track down exactly where the noise is coming from? Lot's of mechanical things can whine - try straight cut gears sometime.

DickB
07-29-2021, 05:58 AM
Interesting how you can tell what a noise that you haven't heard sounds like. ;)

RykerUSA
07-29-2021, 06:51 AM
I have experienced all of the above including fuel pump failure. I want to point out that the failure is not abrupt. It happens over time and manifests itself through a lack of power at higher speeds as the fuel pump cannot generate enough pressure to supply the engine when traveling, in my case, at Interstate speeds. The noise is definitely the fuel pump..

I have a 2019 and experience this early on when fuel pumps were in very short supply and on months long backorder. So, taking a risk, I took out the fuel pump assembly from the tank and inspected the fuel pump closely to see if I can purchase another fuel pump to fit within the assembly. As a result of clean living, I was able to find the right fuel pump and install it in the assembly and reinstall in the bike. This solved the problem for a year or so but then the sound started to come back. At this point, I took it in to canam to have its serviced. This was last fall. They indicated it was a known issue and there was a fix that did not involve replacing the fuel pump but somehow adding something to the top of the fuel pump assembly where it is attached to the tank.

Well they applied this fix and it did help stop the noise again for a while. It still comes back periodically but I have learned to live with it. Other than the annoying sound, I really do not believe that you need to be worried that you're gonna be left on the street with a suddenly failed fuel pump. You will get plenty of notice that you're having a problem.

Incidentally, if you do experience the high speed hesitation of a failing fuel pump, one way to ensure you get home Is to just keep your tank more than halfway full at all times. This reduces the demands on the fuel pump apparently and I did not have any highway hesitation when I had more than a 1/2 a tank of gas.

Hope this helps.