PDA

View Full Version : Best place to mount E-ZPass?

BigRock
07-01-2009, 11:48 AM
What is the best way to mount your E-ZPass (or FasTrak, SunPass, IPass, etc depending on where you live) on a Spyder?

I've even heard of some people putting velcro on their helmet and attaching the E-ZPass on your forehead but I don't really want to do that! :)

beka
07-01-2009, 12:08 PM
RAM mounts are pricey but work very well.

http://www.jjcyclepass.com/bike2.htm

bone crusher
07-01-2009, 12:24 PM
What is the best way to mount your E-ZPass (or FasTrak, SunPass, IPass, etc depending on where you live) on a Spyder?

I've even heard of some people putting velcro on their helmet and attaching the E-ZPass on your forehead but I don't really want to do that! :)

I stick it to the inside of my windshield...against the backside of the dash...works great...totally stable...

You don't have to worry about anyone stealing it as each time it is used, a picture is taken...if the pic doesn't match your licenses that you have filed, the offending vehicle is gonna get in big trouble...

irish2themax
07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I mounted mine at the bottom of my windshield right at the top of the dash with industrial strength velcro....no problems with visibility

bone crusher
07-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I mounted mine at the bottom of my windshield....no problems with visibility

copycat...:D I was responding and you beat me to it...argh!

Roaddog2
07-01-2009, 12:41 PM
I just keep mine in my leather or jacket I'm wearing have it for both bikes 1 speedpass but I also don't go through to many tolls like all of you do.
So it might also work from inside trunk but haven't tried that yet:ani29:

Spanky
07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I mounted mine vertically inside the trunk below the tool kit. It works every time. Some mount them on the underside of the trunk lid.

BigRock
07-01-2009, 02:21 PM
I mounted mine vertically inside the trunk below the tool kit. It works every time. Some mount them on the underside of the trunk lid.

Thanks for all the great ideas, but I hadn't thought of mounting it inside the trunk. I was worried that the trunk lid might be too thick for the E-ZPass signal to be read but apparently not. I think i'm gonna try the trunk mounting!

I thought of mounting it at the bottom of the windshield but I want to leave that real estate open for a future GPS.

docdoru
07-01-2009, 03:24 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00117.jpg?t=1246479805

burg650
07-01-2009, 03:34 PM

It does not work in NJ/NY mounted in the trunk, tried it for about 5 time and it never picked it up inside there.

wyliec
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM
RAM mounts are pricey but work very well.

http://www.jjcyclepass.com/bike2.htm

If you ever park where you have to put money in a machine that spits out a slip, you may want to consider one of the RAM mounts. You can slip the parking stub underneath the plastic strap that holds the EZPass in place. I didn't want to put anything on the windshield. When not using the EZPass the mount comes off.

kentompkins
07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Yep, I've also tried it in the trunk and in NJ/NY it fails. I have mine in my tankbag and it has always worked there. The only problem is that I have to remember to take it out overnight or when I can't see the bike.

ken tompkins

bone crusher
07-01-2009, 06:11 PM
The trunk is not a good idea...if you have to stop to get it out, you're in trouble. It's not meant to be hidden...it's supposed to be out in the open/behind glass only...

Just take the thing, use the velcro, and attach it to the lower windshield, against the back of the 'dash' area...it won't go anywhere and you'll never have to worry about it...

Nobody can use your EZ Pass without going to jail...

It's visible and works every time...

nater1
07-01-2009, 09:17 PM
I just register all my plates on the Internet under my account, and then let the computer camera id my plate, and with draw from my account. In FIB land that is how it works for me. Call your tollway authority, and ask them what happen when you ride your motorcycle with there being a chance that the sensor would not pick it up. Play Dumb, and see what they tell you.

glynnk
07-01-2009, 09:50 PM
In the Houston area they give you a little plastic card box that fits in a saddlebag, shirt or vest pocket...nothing to affix to the bike itself.

Glynn "Skeetshooter" Knight

burg650
07-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I just register all my plates on the Internet under my account, and then let the computer camera id my plate, and with draw from my account. In FIB land that is how it works for me. Call your tollway authority, and ask them what happen when you ride your motorcycle with there being a chance that the sensor would not pick it up. Play Dumb, and see what they tell you.

Now that is one great idea, you are right your plates are married to the tag id and yes if the tag does not read the camera will take a photo and match it up to your account. The only problem is in NJ sometime the cops sit just pass the toll plaza and can tell if your tag did not read and of course they might pull you over, it happen to me twice but I had the tag in my jacket pocket and they did not give me a ticket but lost time for the stop.

bone crusher
07-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Now that is one great idea, you are right your plates are married to the tag id and yes if the tag does not read the camera will take a photo and match it up to your account. The only problem is in NJ sometime the cops sit just pass the toll plaza and can tell if your tag did not read and of course they might pull you over, it happen to me twice but I had the tag in my jacket pocket and they did not give me a ticket but lost time for the stop.

OH boy...I keep saying it and nobody is listening (or reading)...

Sure....you can list all your licenses along with your transponders....that's perfectly fine...however, if the scanner cannot find/read your transponder, you're SOL...

It is very easy, practical, and smart to put the transponder on the inside of your windshield...the velcro tabs will stick just fine and your transponder is visible and works well there...nobody is going to take it as it has no value to anyone...

SpyderGirl
07-02-2009, 12:50 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00117.jpg?t=1246479805

Same here.

NancysToy
07-02-2009, 06:30 AM
Man, am I glad I live in Michigan. No toll roads here. All this talk makes me think of the big city......I get hives just thinking about it. :D I feel for you guys!
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

bone crusher
07-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Man, am I glad I live in Michigan. No toll roads here. All this talk makes me think of the big city......I get hives just thinking about it. :D I feel for you guys!

Scotty,

I didn't even know you had roads in Michigan, although Jeff Daniels does nice commercials!

smokster
07-02-2009, 09:36 AM

In Ca, we put it in the trunk, they can read it. I velcro it to the inside wall.

lightman02
07-02-2009, 10:12 AM
I live in NJ and intead of getting the normal EZ-pass tag I got the one that mounts on the front of my license plate. However on the Spyder your not gonna put it on the plate, I black cable tied mine onto the upper a-arm on the left side of the spyder. Works great and because its black in color it all matches and looks pretty good and works great. Ill post a pic but I'm at work now.

Dragonrider
07-02-2009, 12:08 PM
What's an E-Z pass?? :dontknow: - never heard of it....

nater1
07-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Nancy even in Michigan you pay tolls in California.

bone crusher
07-02-2009, 04:48 PM

The whole state of CA is one big hole...I mean toll...

We're all gonna pay for the mess that state is in...argh!

Spanky
07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
In Ca, we put it in the trunk, they can read it. I velcro it to the inside wall.

If they can't read it, then they use your license plate info and charge your account accordingly (no penalty). Even the manned tollbooths will let you go if it didn't pick up transponder and they still will use your plate info.

I guess if you are going to charge people a toll then CA seems to have the best method for FasTrak or EZ Pay.

Jeff in Dallas
07-02-2009, 05:54 PM
In Dallas, we have a tolltag. As long as the license on the vehicle is registered with the tag, it doesn't matter if the receiver reads the tolltag or not. If it doesn't, it takes a pic of my license and matches it up with the tolltag.

So, I put mine on the inside of my trunk lid. I didn't like the way it looked on the windshield and I certainly was not going to dedicate a RAM mount to it. It reads at the tollbooth probably 99% of the time.

NancysToy
07-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Haven't been to CA in 40 years...not likely to change that before I die, either. Unless they outlaw wallets, I'll stop at the toll booths when out of state. :D

bone crusher
07-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Haven't been to CA in 40 years...not likely to change that before I die, either. Unless they outlaw wallets, I'll stop at the toll booths when out of state. :D

Scotty,

You're not allowed to die...ever...we would be lost without you...that means you'll get to CA sooner or later...on that note, don't bother visiting the republic of MD...we're as bad as CA...they'll tax you for just thinking of visiting here!

nater1
07-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Wisconsin is not a good idea to visit either. Roads are rough as hell, and the Governor keeps taking from the road fund to pay for pet projects. It will not get better soon.

NancysToy
07-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Wisconsin is not a good idea to visit either. Roads are rough as hell, and the Governor keeps taking from the road fund to pay for pet projects. It will not get better soon.
Michigan roads are said to be the worst in the nation, especially the highways. No dough to fix them without tolls. The long-haul truckers hate our roads.

BigRock
07-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Upon further inspection I think the E-ZPass will fit in the bottom front of the windshield. I'll have to try it out once the new transponder arrives.

BigRock
07-03-2009, 02:33 PM

Isn't the Mackinac Bridge a toll bridge? I don't think they have any sort of E-ZPass tho.

bone crusher
07-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Upon further inspection I think the E-ZPass will fit in the bottom front of the windshield. I'll have to try it out once the new transponder arrives.

That was my idea...I think I hear an echo that nobody else hears...argh!

The windshield is the best option, honest...enjoy!

mindman
09-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I live in NJ and intead of getting the normal EZ-pass tag I got the one that mounts on the front of my license plate. However on the Spyder your not gonna put it on the plate, I black cable tied mine onto the upper a-arm on the left side of the spyder. Works great and because its black in color it all matches and looks pretty good and works great. Ill post a pic but I'm at work now.

Just FYI - I can vouch for this one. I read this post while preparing for our ride this past weekend and did the same thing. I had an external EZ-Pass from a prior vehicle just hanging around. used some industrial strength zip ties and attached it to the A-arm. Worked like a charm, and didn't mess up the looks by mounting it on the windshield. Gotta give credit where credit is due though.....:shemademe_smilie:

wyliec
09-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Just FYI - I can vouch for this one. I read this post while preparing for our ride this past weekend and did the same thing. I had an external EZ-Pass from a prior vehicle just hanging around. used some industrial strength zip ties and attached it to the A-arm. Worked like a charm, and didn't mess up the looks by mounting it on the windshield. Gotta give credit where credit is due though.....:shemademe_smilie:

Mounting on the lower inside of the windshield doesn't mess up the looks. You can't even notice it on those windshields that are dark/black at the bottom.

Sny
09-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately there's quite a few toll booths here that require IPASS now, no cash lane at all anymore.

I have no idea where my IPASS is... I think I lost it in the garage somewhere. But amazingly, it works perfectly on all 5 of my vehicles! ;)

Just register your vin and plates to your account and let the cameras to the work. Hasn't failed me yet :dontknow:

oh, they charge half as much if you have IPASS as well... cash is double!

Firefly
09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Mine is mounted under the Chad windshield on the console----- can't really see it unless you look for it. No big Mac doesn't take ezpass.

wanabegood
09-11-2010, 05:59 AM
I put my ezpass on the inside lid of the front trunk that is held in place with Velcro. Works without problems in all tolls in the NY/NJ region.and lets me move my pass to my car as needed. If you need a picture, please let me know.

grnbear
09-11-2010, 11:32 AM
I mounted mine in the frunk just under the latch. In WA State if it does not read it they use your license plate to deduct from your account.