WackyDan
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=15572

Bersquack
07-01-2009, 11:32 AM
They make planes too, and snowmobiles by the way!!! :roflblack:

ataDude
07-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Not really. Bombardier makes the planes, trains and similar.

BRP is a separate company, with different ownership... spun off in 2003... and makes the Spyders, Rotax engines, snow machines, water craft, Johnson and Evinrude outboard engines and all things consumer-oriented.

See:
http://corp.brp.com/en-CA/Media.Center/Press.Releases/1/December.18.2003.htm

bone crusher
07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
BRP makes planets...okay, maybe not...

They do make helmets for Motza though! :ohyea:

Roaddog2
07-01-2009, 12:34 PM
NO :cus: :joke:do they brake down like my :spyder:

burg650
07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Not really. Bombardier makes the planes, trains and similar.

BRP is a separate company, with different ownership... spun off in 2003... and makes the Spyders, Rotax engines, snow machines, water craft, Johnson and Evinrude outboard engines and all things consumer-oriented.

See:
http://corp.brp.com/en-CA/Media.Center/Press.Releases/1/December.18.2003.htm

What does the BRP stand for now that they are not part of Bombardier.

NancysToy
07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
What does the BRP stand for now that they are not part of Bombardier.
Bombardier Recreational Products

BillGargan
07-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Bombardier Recreational Products . . . Same first name . . .

burg650
07-01-2009, 04:00 PM
If BRP and Bombardier are no longer one company I would think that the B would have to be changed.

BRPjunkie
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
And even after more than half a century of products, some still think the company name is the same as the guy who releases bombs from planes. As we all know it is Bom-bar-de-aye.

ataDude
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Bombardier Recreational Products . . . Same first name . . .

If BRP and Bombardier are no longer one company I would think that the B would have to be changed.

Click on the link I provided. Cllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccckkkkkkk. That's their own web site. :yikes:

Roaddog2
07-01-2009, 05:24 PM
If BRP and Bombardier are no longer one company I would think that the B would have to be changed.Its what they call a spinoff and I'm sure the stock holders made out pretty good :ani29:

WackyDan
07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Typically the original company holds some sort of vested interest/stock position in the new company.

BRPjunkie
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Bombardier RECREATIONAL products. I think what BRP is learning as it has ventured into the on-road market is that customer expectations are quite different. Snowmobiles, personal watercraft, ATVs, jet boats and outboard motors are all for recreational use. While BRP has always tried to build leading edge, safe and reliable products, when your recreational product has problems, you miss recreational opportunities and generally do not face the same dangers that on-road use entails. While some of us bought the Spyder for recreational use, it is sold as a on-road product and thereby becomes transportation for many. Reliability and safety issues become magnified when people get stranded, their transportion is unsafe or unreliable and dealers who sell recreational products treat Spyder problems like they do the other recreational products they sell. I'm sure BRP weighed all of these factors before they took the big step into the on-road market, but after years of having a recreational mentality, it will take awhile to change the culture.

Roaddog2
07-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Typically the original company holds some sort of vested interest/stock position in the new company.:agree:

cjpolk
07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
BRP is privately held.

As part of the larger Bombardier Corporation, they were a tiny part of the portfolio, and were probably considered a distraction and likely not well funded.

In the post 9/11 funk, Bombardier found itself in a hole and decided to spin off the recreational products division, so as to concentrate on it's core products. I don't think the family was happy with this, being that this was the division that started the whole company.

They were spun off in 2003 and bought by a consortium of private equity, the Quebec public pension managment company, and the Bombardier family for $1.2BCdn