PDA

View Full Version : Best Flat repair kit

Thopper
05-31-2019, 06:55 PM
Any recommendations for the best "plug" kit? I have pumped up my tires with a hand pump (tedious) but doable. thinking a foot pump and a plug kit for emergency repairs.

RICZ
05-31-2019, 07:01 PM
There are some neat and very compact kits that include a 12 volt electric pump and plugging/patching equipment. I made up my own kit many years ago consisting of a cheap Harbor Freight 12 volt pump that I removed the plastic cover off of and added a DynaPlug kit and stuffed them into a nylon camera case the size of a small binocular case. Never needed it. Knock wood.

JayBros
05-31-2019, 08:05 PM
Do an SL and internet search and buy a small portable compressor that meets your needs. Hand pumps on the road are for bicycle tires.

Look here and you may be able to kill multiple birds with one shot.
https://www.stopngo.com/motorcycles/

Chasinsparks
05-31-2019, 10:38 PM
I just bought the following, Stop & Go 1075 Tire Repair an the Slime 40061 Power Sport Tire Inflator both from amazon. I used the tire pump today and it works like a charm. Both are fairly small and hardly take up in room the trunk.

Gwolf
05-31-2019, 10:54 PM
Best flat repair kit is a cell phone and a Mastercard.

2dogs
06-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Best flat repair kit is a cell phone and a Mastercard.

You can add AAA to that also.

Gwolf
06-01-2019, 01:29 PM
You can add AAA to that also.

I have emergency road service as add on to my insurance.

Thopper
06-01-2019, 02:40 PM
In the middle of nowhere I don’t want to wait and bake in the desert sun.

Lew L
06-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Stop and go plug kit with CO2 cartridges. Takes up NO room. Thank goodness we haven't had to use it yet .

HayRog
06-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Thanks to Thopper for starting this thread, and to JayBros for the link to Stop n Go :2thumbs:
Just ordered the Stop n Go kit that included their compressor. The compressor is smaller than the one I carry now, and the plugs will be far better than the string ones I presently have, that need to be replaced every couple of years cause they dry out.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Stop and go plug kit with CO2 cartridges. Takes up NO room. Thank goodness we haven't had to use it yet .

I agree " thank goodness we haven't had to use it yet " ….. because it doesn't work :ohyea: …. I just tried to fix a flat in a trailer tire ….FAILED … I would love to see a video of this thing ACTUALLY being used ….. Take yours out and look at it ….. There is no way their rubber plug is going thru that Nozzle …… Try it yourself ...get an old tire ( we all have one or more ) drill a hole in it and try to insert their plug using their instructions …. Please let us know if it worked …. Thanks … Mike :ohyea:

Lew L
06-02-2019, 11:53 AM
I agree " thank goodness we haven't had to use it yet " ….. because it doesn't work :ohyea: …. I just tried to fix a flat in a trailer tire ….FAILED … I would love to see a video of this thing ACTUALLY being used ….. Take yours out and look at it ….. There is no way their rubber plug is going thru that Nozzle …… Try it yourself ...get an old tire ( we all have one or more ) drill a hole in it and try to insert their plug using their instructions …. Please let us know if it worked …. Thanks … Mike :ohyea:

I'll go take a look right now-------

Well Mike,
Maybe you saw an older kit. I tried the plug system and it will work-- pushing the mushroom ( and lubed) plug into a tire. The modern Stop and Go system forces the plug in with a threaded " injector" and hex wrench ( supplied ). It would be a pain in the back to do it on the side of the road on the rear tire though. Fronts-- not bad.

I would get a new tire ASAP though. nojoke

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-02-2019, 01:07 PM
I'll go take a look right now-------

Well Mike,
Maybe you saw an older kit. I tried the plug system and it will work-- pushing the mushroom ( and lubed) plug into a tire. The modern Stop and Go system forces the plug in with a threaded " injector" and hex wrench ( supplied ). It would be a pain in the back to do it on the side of the road on the rear tire though. Fronts-- not bad.

I would get a new tire ASAP though. nojoke

Mine looks like the one they are currently selling :dontknow: …… I don't plan to use that trailer tire , I bought a new one ….. I congratulate you on your success …. the rod you must screw in to get the PLUG thru the nozzle has too much space around it …. it deformed the plug very badly and it wouldn't go in all the way ….. Mike :ohyea:

Lew L
06-02-2019, 07:21 PM
Mine looks like the one they are currently selling :dontknow: …… I don't plan to use that trailer tire , I bought a new one ….. I congratulate you on your success …. the rod you must screw in to get the PLUG thru the nozzle has too much space around it …. it deformed the plug very badly and it wouldn't go in all the way ….. Mike :ohyea:

I think the lube on the plug itself must make all the difference. The plug popped out of the nozzle undisturbed but all the lube was used up.

Lew L

happyspyder2039
06-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Also look up ride-on & forget the plugs,compressor & ride more

jlc41
06-03-2019, 12:08 PM
JayBros, thanks for posting the web site infoe. Just ordered the kit.

Joe

ned64
06-03-2019, 09:26 PM
google stop an go plug repair videos, couple of them are more in depth on how to use them. I have one of their plug kits an it worked for me.