PDA

View Full Version : Queen Windscreen

Arachnid
06-30-2009, 07:39 PM
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9194/composite2.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/composite2.jpg/)

I recently got the F1 Queen adjustable windshield for my Spyder and have now had a chance to ride a bit with it and here are some of my observations.

First, the screen is a big one it has more of the shape of a Harley full screen except that it has a lot of molding in the surface which seems to lend its self to proper dispersal of the wind. I noticed that when riding even at higher speeds, with the adjustable screen down, the wind is dispersed up and away from my face. I would say it is about 50% less than with the original touring screen from BRP. When you pull up the adjustable screen to about half, it really knocks out the frontal wind blast. It also seems not to have as much of the rap-a-round effect like is present with some other screens. When I bring the second screen all the way up I am looking through it. I opted for the clear version and when looking through the thing, there is very little distortion.
This is a big screen, designed to give maximum protection. It really gives me a secure feeling sitting behind it. Bugs, rain and (God forbid) gravel and chunks of bark from logging trucks, are not a worry with this thing.
Your face hands and chest are completely protected. The wind is blocked and your as close to being in the bubble as you will probably get on a Spyder. But, remember, you can drop that second screen and let the wind hit you in the face. It was 100º today and I really love having the adjustable option at my fingertips.
I am really pleased with this, as you may have gathered. I want to personally thank Marcel July and all at F1 Windshield. This is one fine piece of equipment. This is my second screen from F1. We are all blessed to have people like Mr. July cranking out products such as this for our Spyders.

Mike :2thumbs:

NautiBrit
06-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the report. I have the smaller slider and would appreciate the extra coverage that the Queen seems to give.

Bersquack
06-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for your review. I just do not like the look.

Saluda
07-01-2009, 04:36 AM
That's a big shield. One question, does a shield of that size put extra strain on the attachment points or the shield itself ? Curious where the original design of the Spyder was for a much smaller shield.

widowmaker2011
07-01-2009, 06:06 AM
That's a big shield. One question, does a shield of that size put extra strain on the attachment points or the shield itself ? Curious where the original design of the Spyder was for a much smaller shield.

The new 23 and 25 inch brp touring screens attach to the same 4 spots so I am assuming if BRP will trust those 4 screws to hold their 25 inch screen (which is big in its own right) then it should be fine....plus the queen adds 2 additional mounting spots onto the mirror supports for a total of 6 mounting locations.

fastfraser
07-01-2009, 06:13 AM
What no King Windshields!:roflblack::roflblack: Sorry couldn't resist. I kept looking at this and realy like the looks from the front but did not like the looks of the mechanics behind the windscreen ,the adjustable part. So i opted for the F1 Evolution111 with the wind deflectors that realy keep the wind and rain from your legs. :agree: Marsell puts out a good product although i did have issues with shipping and called twice and left a message with no reply.
Anyhow looks great on your bike . :spyder2: on.

Arachnid
07-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Saluda,
This screen attaches in two more places besides the four bolts on the cowling. It also mounts to the supports that hold the mirrors.
This mounting method seems to make the screen pretty ridged.
I used a little modification when mounting my screen. I order to keep the adjustment of my mirror stocks which were forward of where the screen needed them to be I made a spacer and mounted it to the screen and then to the supports for the mirror (see pictures).
Mike
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/213/mirrormt.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/i/mirrormt.jpg/)

Arachnid
07-01-2009, 06:55 AM
[quote=fastfraser;115051I kept looking at this and realy like the looks from the front but did not like the looks of the mechanic behind the windscreen ,the adjustable part. [/quote]

Ya, the aluminum tracks did bug me too. But most all the comments I have received are like "Hay what that. Oh look, this sucker is adjustable." So I am learning to like them. Black would have been a nice color for them but probably would wear down to the aluminum with use any how.
Mike

teacherbob
07-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Mike,
I have the Queen windshield also. It is awesome. I would like to use your spacer idea. What materiel did you use to make it ?

thanks,
Bob

Twodog185
07-01-2009, 08:17 AM
I have mirror extensions and can't stand the vibration. I'm looking at mirror options, but I see that the windshield may help to stabilize the mirrors. Does it help with vibrations?

Firefly
07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
It doesn't look like you can use this if you have the Kewlmetal mirror extensions - at least not without rigging the bracket somehow.

My concern on those aluminum rails is that they are pointing right at the rider - in a crash when the rider is thrown forward - you could get speared by those.

tatt2r
07-01-2009, 10:19 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!! if thats the queen hate to see what the king looks like .... or even the ZAR .... the king must look like a black sheet of plywood:joke:

Firefly
07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!! if thats the queen hate to see what the king looks like .... or even the ZAR .... the king must look like a black sheet of plywood:joke:

I think you mean Tzar....... ;-)

Arachnid
07-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Mike,
I have the Queen windshield also. It is awesome. I would like to use your spacer idea. What materiel did you use to make it ?

thanks,
Bob

Bob, I use a piece of that marine plywood about 2" x 4" 3/4" thick.
I molded it to the shape of the screen so that it didn't stick out.
Just painted it black and screwed it in place.
Mike

I have mirror extensions and can't stand the vibration. I'm looking at mirror options, but I see that the windshield may help to stabilize the mirrors. Does it help with vibrations?

Twodog, Naa, I don't think it does much I don't have the extension and mine still vibrate like they always did. You have to wait till that car behind you gets pretty close before you can tell its not a cop.:D
Mike

Magic Man
07-01-2009, 12:54 PM
It doesn't look like you can use this if you have the Kewlmetal mirror extensions - at least not without rigging the bracket somehow.

My concern on those aluminum rails is that they are pointing right at the rider - in a crash when the rider is thrown forward - you could get speared by those.

:agree::agree::agree:

Can you say "poke your eye out?" :shocked:

MM

Saluda
07-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the additional info & pics.

czdaryle
07-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Holy Crap!

Magic Man
07-01-2009, 07:47 PM
What was the last thing to go through the bugs mind when he hit the windshield? _____________. :roflblack:
Mike

Realistically, upon frontal impact, the shield and all that is on it would fold forward, snapping off at the bolts at impact - droping down and out of the way. leaving the smooth cowling for your chest, stomach and bowels to slide over as you exited the machine.
I hate to think what would happen if there were hardware mounted on that smooth cowling. Humm

Mike

Maybe in a BIG crash the mounting bolts for any shield will come free of the cowl, maybe not?

But why would the 4 mounting bolts that hold on a Queen shield suddenly get stronger just because the same 4 mounting bolts are holding on a metal brackret?

Your body hitting the shield, any sheld would put the same force to the same 4 bolts in the cowl, and no matter what they hold on they would break free allowing any shield and it's mounts to move forward and out of the way as well.

BUT.... let's take a much smaller BUMP into something. Let us know how the bridge of the nose of the person riding the Queen feels when they move forward and it goes right onto their face or nose opening it up like a knife. IMHO It just sits too close to the riders face even when in the down position.

I almost cut my face open on an adjustable Evo III in Daytona moving a Spyder around! It sticks so far back into your face area it was hard not to hit it.

Also, the bolting of the Queen to the mirror stalks completely voids the idea that a Queen could move forward and free of your body. Maybe the 4 screws in the plastic cowl would come free in an impact easily with any other sheild, but not the mirror stalks.

The mirror stalks just are not coming off that easy. With the Queen now using the mirror stalks for additional support so it does not flap in the wind, the whole idea that it will "slide out of the way" just won't happen.

I think this is a very dangerious design, as are all these shields that come that close to the drivers face.

But, to each their own. My face is already ugly enough I don't need to mess it up any more. :thumbup:

MM

Arachnid
07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Maybe in a BIG crash the mounting bolts for any shield will come free of the cowl, maybe not?

But why would the 4 mounting bolts that hold on a Queen sheild suddenly get stronger just because the same 4 mounting bolts are holding on a metal brackret?

Your body hitting the shield, any sheld would put the same force to the same 4 bolts in the cowl, and no matter what they hold on they would break free allowing any shield and it's mounts to move forward and out of the way as well.

BUT.... let's take a much smaller BUMP into something. Let us know how the bridge of the nose of the person riding the Queen feels when they move forward and it goes right onto their face or nose opening it up like a knife. IMHO It just sits too close to the riders face even when in the down position.

I almost cut my face open on an adjustable Evo III in Daytona moving a Spyder around! It sticks so far back into your face area it was hard not to hit it.

Also, the bolting of the Queen to the mirror stalks completely voids the idea that a Queen could move forward and free of your body. Maybe the 4 screws in the plastic cowl would come free in an impact easily with any other sheild, but not the mirror stalks.

The mirror stalks just are not coming off that easy. With the Queen now using the mirror stalks for additional support so it does not flap in the wind, the whole idea that it will "slide out of the way" just won't happen.

I think this is a very dangerious design, as are all these shields that come that close to the drivers face.

MM

:agree: good points. Vary dangerous. I will feel safer when winter comes and I go back to my full face helmet.
The sliders them selfs. Not much of a factor. Sandwiched between the plastic.

Mike

tatt2r
07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I think you mean Tzar....... ;-)

That's why I tattoo:helpsmilie:

tatt2r
07-01-2009, 10:09 PM
:agree:with evan I seen him he is already ugly enough:joke:

Magic Man
07-02-2009, 05:22 AM
:agree:with evan I seen him he is already ugly enough:joke:

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. :D

Because threre's a whole lot better reasons than that. :thumbup:

MM

frleo
07-02-2009, 07:42 AM
My face is already full of scars, and I always ryde with full face helmet.(It is seldom HOT here in the Enchanted Mountains) But MM makes a very good point. I have the EIII slider and the 777 windscreens. I have banged my helmet on the top of the screens just getting off the spYder. I'm not saying this is dangerous, but something to consider.
This only happens when the slider is fully extended and I rarely have it set that way. With the 777 installed, I have to keep the potential for hitting it in mind. That 777 sure does eliminate ALL wind blast, though. It is excellent for wet or/and cold conditions.

---leo---

skeetshooter
07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Simple don't hit anything,if you hit something the rails are the least of your worries.:yikes:

Firefly
07-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Those sliders and extra tall (in particular the tinted ones) would never pass DOT certification - which F1 doesn't seem to care much about. Sure hope no one has to find out the hard way how dangerous those could be.

skeetshooter
07-02-2009, 02:26 PM
If you don't like it don't buy it,see how simple that is.:dontknow:

Firefly
07-02-2009, 02:30 PM
If you don't like it don't buy it,see how simple that is.:dontknow:

I won't, but others might and not realize the potential dangers. Better to give them a heads up rather then have them be sorry later.

jeuchler
07-02-2009, 02:40 PM
HOLY CRAP!!.... the king must look like a black sheet of plywood:joke:

Ha!

I just had an image in my head of a certain artist creating a Photoshop image of a Spyder with an "Emperor" windshield...:yikes:

Firefly
07-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Ha!

I just had an image in my head of a certain artist creating a Photoshop image of a Spyder with an "Emperor" windshield...:yikes:

Did the Emperor have his clothes on??? :roflblack:

Magic Man
07-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Did the Emperor have his clothes on??? :roflblack:

He did, but he had a huge cut on the bridge of his nose the Queen gave him. LOL :roflblack:

MM