PDA

View Full Version : If we would have invaded Japan

Rogue Hawk
05-28-2019, 03:47 PM
An interesting theoretical. If we had deposed their Emperor, we would have been in for a long guerrilla war. The Emperor ordered his people to stop fighting, so they obeyed. I imagine there was a lot of backroom deals, Japan did not really surrender unconditionally. I remember in the movie, Band of Brothers. The guys where so worried they would be transferred to the Pacific. People where tired of war.

The used of the atomic bomb has become controversial. Was it immoral? I would say yes, it killed many innocent civilians. But it was a necessary evil. Just my opinion. :)

https://youtu.be/-Rrmqju74A8

gkamer
05-28-2019, 04:06 PM
But it's use also saved tens of thousands, it not hundreds of thousands of American lives. War is not a moral undertaking, so I don't think morality should enter the equation.

Saluda
05-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Easy to question it now.

LeftCoast
05-28-2019, 10:55 PM
I probably wouldn’t be here. My father would have been among the first troops in.

Rogue Hawk
05-29-2019, 09:13 AM
Yes, back then the answer was easy. That is why I mention it's being questioned now. It's the armchair quarterback syndrome.

Joe T.
05-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Yes, back then the answer was easy. That is why I mention it's being questioned now. It's the armchair quarterback syndrome.

There are a lot of folks in the US today who do not understand the struggle between our US values and the rest of the world. It is scary times - - - - -

Joe T.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-30-2019, 07:11 AM
perhaps i might feel sorry for japan if they ever paid the u.s. back for pearl harbor.

Bob Denman
05-30-2019, 07:54 AM
The objective of fighting a War is to win it!
Morality doesn't enter into the equation. nojoke
We fought that War in a way that would save many, many thousands of lives on BOTH sides.
Little Boy and Fat Man showed the Japanese Emperor and his subjects; that we had the technology and the willingness to use it...

If War isn't ugly: there would be little attempt to avoid it at almost any cost...

Grandpot
05-30-2019, 07:57 AM
The objective of fighting a War is to win it!
We fought that War in a way that would save many, many thousands of lives on BOTH sides.
Little Boy and Fat Man showed the Japanese Emperor and his subjects; that we had the technology and the willingness to use it...

If War isn't ugly: there would be little attempt to avoid it at almost any cost...+

:agree:

Bob Denman
05-30-2019, 10:11 AM
There's an old saying: "Second Place in a gunfight only gets you buried... :shocked:"

The same wisdom holds true for Wars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk

Gwolf
05-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Konnichiwa!

Rogue Hawk
05-30-2019, 12:38 PM
perhaps i might feel sorry for japan if they ever paid the u.s. back for pearl harbor.

They did. Their cities were mostly made of wood so we firebombed them. That actually did more damage than A bombs but the A bomb has more of an emotional effect.

BoilerAnimal
05-30-2019, 12:47 PM

So, no such thing as war crimes?

gkamer
05-30-2019, 03:42 PM
So, no such thing as war crimes?

War crimes like history are made by the victors.

jerpinoy
05-30-2019, 03:48 PM
Japan will be 51 st state.

Bob Denman
05-30-2019, 04:38 PM
"So, no such thing as war crimes?"

First: I'd fight to win, and I'd leave the consequences for a later time...

Cruzr Joe
05-30-2019, 04:52 PM
As the old saying goes ................

Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six

If you don't understand that, let me know and i will explain.

Cruzr Joe

Gwolf
05-30-2019, 06:53 PM
It is easy to pass judgement when there ain't nobody trying to kill you.

RICZ
05-30-2019, 07:04 PM
I was a school kid during WWII. My dad was 4F and was home but worked in a defense plant. He made sure I was aware what was going on. To understand why 2 atomic bombs is to understand the mentality on both sides at that time and you'd know why 2 bombs and why any at all. Fighting the Japanese on their shores is a moot point as they had many hundreds, maybe thousands of mini subs and Kamikaze subs, so a D-Day type of invasion would have been a sad failure. Those bombs saved over a million lives all tolled. At least.

Haikanko
05-31-2019, 04:38 AM
Vietnam anyone!!!

Grandpot
05-31-2019, 05:44 AM
Vietnam anyone!!!

You French like to push the buttons, don't you? Be grateful you're not speaking German now.

Saluda
05-31-2019, 05:51 AM
Remember they were there too.

Bob Denman
05-31-2019, 06:31 AM
Vietnam anyone!!!
If you want to discuss Vietnam: the results clearly show what happens when you "tie the hands" of your Military, and force them to fight a "civilized" War... :gaah:
We had the capability; but our leaders didn't have the guts...

Zip
05-31-2019, 09:03 AM
If you want to discuss Vietnam: the results clearly show what happens when you "tie the hands" of your Military, and force them to fight a "civilized" War... :gaah:
We had the capability; but our leaders didn't have the guts...

Truth