PDA

View Full Version : Vredestein Quatrac 5 in 175/55-60

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-27-2019, 11:21 AM
If you have this tire in that size ….PLEASE post here what Spyder you have , year and model ….and what Style fender - new type or old type …..One member here has reported they don't fit His fenders ….. He says they are rubbing ……However I have found 11 members here who have that same tire on the front and have Reported no issues !!!!………..……... Thanks for your help on this …. Mike :ohyea:

PW2013STL
05-27-2019, 11:28 AM
2015 F3s with the new style fenders. If they are rubbing then they can place a washer between the bracket and the fender to move the fender out the thickness of the washer.
That maybe just enough to stop the rubbing.

UtahPete
05-27-2019, 11:46 AM
If you have this tire in that size ….PLEASE post here what Spyder you have , year and model ….and what Style fender - new type or old type …..One member here has reported they don't fit His fenders ….. He says they are rubbing …… Thanks for your help on this …. Mike :ohyea:

Thanks for moving this topic to a new thread, Mike!

Cleg
05-28-2019, 09:56 PM
15 RTLtd new style fenders and no rubs....

h0gr1der
05-29-2019, 07:03 AM
2018 RTL, new style fender. No rubbing. Handles great.

Faultline
05-29-2019, 11:10 AM
2015 STS
Quatrac 5 175/55-60 on PPA wheels, New style fenders.
Close fit, but no issues.
Great tire!

Tango
05-29-2019, 11:35 AM
175/55-15 2016 F3 Limited. Tight, no problems. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

bigbadbrucie
05-31-2019, 03:36 PM
Just got word from Quattro Tires in Quebec, my Vredestein Front Tires are being shipped now, with the expected delivery date of June 10th.

Spyderlass
06-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Just a wee heads-up for you folks using this tyre. I use the same tyre on my Jeep and I like them but they aquaplane fairly easily over standing water at speed. They're fine on plain wet roads.

Just thought I'd mention it especially since it's a wider than standard size you're using. Take care through the deep puddles!

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2019, 09:38 AM
Just a wee heads-up for you folks using this tyre. I use the same tyre on my Jeep and I like them but they aquaplane fairly easily over standing water at speed. They're fine on plain wet roads.

Just thought I'd mention it especially since it's a wider than standard size you're using. Take care through the deep puddles!

Interesting comment ….. I have read on this Forum from folks who have this tire on their SPYDERS ( using approx. 18 psi ) that even in Heavy rain their are Excellent , better than other Brands..... When I ride in the rain I Rarely Hydro-plane, maybe it helps to know " how to safely ride in the rain ??? " ……. PS there are NO tires that won't Hydro-plane …. not even the ones used in Formula One that cot about 5,000 each ….. justsayin ….. Mike :ohyea:

Spyderlass
06-01-2019, 10:07 AM
My experience backed up here, an All Weather tyre comparison test.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Just sayin'

Jeffmal
06-01-2019, 10:23 AM
2017 F3 T... No Problem, fit fine!

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2019, 10:56 AM
My experience backed up here, an All Weather tyre comparison test.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Just sayin'

:clap:...……… and how many of those tires are in sizes that fit SPYDERS ???? … that's pretty much of Major concern to me … Formula One RAIN Tires are the best in the World , but so what, they won't fit on a Spyder. I recommend the Vredestein Quatrac 5 and will continue to do so, they actually fit our Spyders…… and have been tested ON Spyders….. Question ??? …. What tires do you have on your Spyder ???? ……..Thanks …. Mike :ohyea:

Spyderlass
06-01-2019, 11:01 AM
You're very sensitive! I was just sayin take care in the big puddles!!

I use Maxxis AP2.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2019, 11:15 AM
You're very sensitive! I was just sayin take care in the big puddles!!

I use Maxxis AP2.

Maxxis AP2 , yes I did a bit of research …. It's interesting that you like this tire !!! …. I just read in " Tyre News " their 2018 " all -season Tyre testing "… Your Maxxis AP 2 was 17th out of the 27 tires tested …… That BAD ' Quatrac 5 " was …. 6th … interesting Huh …… and I'm only sensitive about Safety …. Myself and Peter Aawen ( of Australia ) have actually received schooling & training on the tire thing...… all the best, be very careful in the rain with those TYRES ……. Mike :ohyea:

Spyderlass
06-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Wow, the words knickers and twist come to mind.

Take care. :doorag:

Madison Sully
06-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Wow, the words knickers and twist come to mind.

Take care. :doorag:

Erm, I'm sorta wondering in what context. :p

Airborne
06-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Interesting! i'd always listen to people with knowledge and experience [Mike - Peter] so i'm convinced that the Quadtrac 5 is the way to go, but just to clarify, paticarly Peter - in Australia, are they available here in Oz. I've looked on the Vredestein site but can't find Quadtrac 5s.

The size mentioned here, is that NOT the standard size and if not why not use standard size.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Interesting! i'd always listen to people with knowledge and experience [Mike - Peter] so i'm convinced that the Quadtrac 5 is the way to go, but just to clarify, paticarly Peter - in Australia, are they available here in Oz. I've looked on the Vredestein site but can't find Quadtrac 5s.

The size mentioned here, is that NOT the standard size and if not why not use standard size.

The OEM ( standard ) tire size is 225/50 -15 (? or 55 ) …. and this size doesn't seem to be made by most Manufacture's …. the 215/60-15 is a lot more common , and it makes the speedo/odo closer to exact ……. Mike :ohyea:

Peter Aawen
06-01-2019, 07:42 PM
I haven't found anyone in Australia who stocks the Vredestein Tires (yet!) But even if we do get someone prepared to import &/or carry them, we've still gotta convince them there's enough demand for those tires in sizes that we can use on our Spyders - sizes that don't fit a great number of modern motor vehicles!! :gaah:

Just don't get too hung up on the 'nominal size' printed on the sidewall, the size that's far more important to us & our Spyders is the actual physical size & whether or not that size will fit on the various Spyder models! That often means trying it, or at least comparing the specified rolling dia & tire width (not just tread width) with the physical dimensions of a tire known to fit! :thumbup:

And you really don't want to forget that generally, the ambient & road temps in most of Australia tend to be just a tad higher than those experienced by a lot of North America!! So a tire that's ideal for the temps they experience over there may not work too well &/or for very long over here; and a tire that works really well here in our warmer areas might not work very well at all over there, especially in the colder areas! :lecturef_smilie:

But if it means you can get out there & ryde, it's all fun, innit?! :ohyea: :2thumbs:

Airborne
06-02-2019, 01:52 AM
I haven't found anyone in Australia who stocks the Vredestein Tires (yet!) But even if we do get someone prepared to import &/or carry them, we've still gotta convince them there's enough demand for those tires in sizes that we can use on our Spyders - sizes that don't fit a great number of modern motor vehicles!! :gaah:

Just don't get too hung up on the 'nominal size' printed on the sidewall, the size that's far more important to us & our Spyders is the actual physical size & whether or not that size will fit on the various Spyder models! That often means trying it, or at least comparing the specified rolling dia & tire width (not just tread width) with the physical dimensions of a tire known to fit! :thumbup:

And you really don't want to forget that generally, the ambient & road temps in most of Australia tend to be just a tad higher than those experienced by a lot of North America!! So a tire that's ideal for the temps they experience over there may not work too well &/or for very long over here; and a tire that works really well here in our warmer areas might not work very well at all over there, especially in the colder areas! :lecturef_smilie:

But if it means you can get out there & ryde, it's all fun, innit?! :ohyea: :2thumbs:

Thanks Peter, in formative as usual, i'll PM you to find out you suggestions for local conditions remembering i live in cool Tassie.

I Have heard Toyos mentioned.

BoilerAnimal
08-01-2019, 11:27 AM
I had two Quatrac5 175-55-15 tires put on on our Spyder about 1000 miles ago. Running at 16 PSI the handling and ride is outstanding!

That said, when I put them on, I spun them to see If they rubbed. As my luck would have it, both tires did but very, very lightly. Took it for a ride of about three miles, then removed them to see what was causing it. I couldn't find where the problem was, however, the rub was almost gone. Put the tires on again and the noise was completely gone in less than two more miles with no signs of interference on the tires or fenders.

BRP should make these tires standard right from the factory. If they did that and a PROPER laser alignment, they would probably be able to sell more bikes. That would virtually eliminate the folks put off by the "twitchy steering" factor. Even though ours had been "Squared Away" and the handling was great, the change from Kendas to these tires is shocking.

The only thing that I haven't had a chance to do is ride in the rain. Kind of looking forward to that! If it is as good as most say, I will not dread rainy rides anymore.

One question. Did anybody think that these tires had a "strange" smell to them? They made our whole garage smell for the first couple of days after they were first mounted. They smelled different than other tires normally do. Not really bad, just different. No smell at all after a couple of days.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-01-2019, 12:00 PM
PM sent …. Mike :ohyea:

BoilerAnimal
08-03-2019, 08:45 AM
As requested by BLUEKNIGHT911, I'm posting the exchange of PM's between us.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911

Hi Mike here ….. a month or so back another member reported rubbing …. so I reached out to other members who had them in 175/55-15 ….. they all said no issues !!! …...… If you have time , could you possibly remove the wheels and look for " what on the front suspension " is/was the contact being made ….. you could also up the PSI to 17 ….. in the past I have added 3 washers ( one each ) between the wheel and the face of the hub ….. Thanks …. Mike

Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal

Hi Mike. The rubbing was very slight and didn't leave any marks on the tire or fenders. I was going to do the washer thing but don't really have a need to now. If it had been worse I would have, but not a problem after about five or six miles.

By the way, these tires are fantastic. Thanks for bringing them to our attention, Bob.

Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911

Your very welcome thanks for the compliment ….. Here's what I think may have occurred …. When you started out the tires were Cold …. ( ambient temp ) …. then as you drove they heated up a bit ( normal )… this would cause them to rise just a bit which would make them very slightly narrower …. this was just enough to eliminate them touching what ever it was making contact …… I think you will be impressed in the wet ….many folks here have reported this …..Mike …. I should have posted this instead of just Pm'ing you ….. Could you move it to your post ?????

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-03-2019, 08:57 AM
Thanks B A, some folks are very talented with the computer thing …..( I'm not one of them :roflblack:) Mike :ohyea:

h0gr1der
08-03-2019, 10:56 AM
My first thought was the casting nipples rubbing on something. Mine had those things sticking out all over the place, and were all about 3/8" or so long.

BoilerAnimal
08-03-2019, 01:32 PM
Seemed like more "whiskers" than most any tire I've seen. But I don't think that was the cause because it only rubbed each tire in two places and only very slightly. Not enough to leave a mark on the tires or fenders and the noise was gone after five or six miles.

Did you notice any smell that you thought was different than the way most new tires smell?

h0gr1der
08-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Seemed like more "whiskers" than most any tire I've seen. But I don't think that was the cause because it only rubbed each tire in two places and only very slightly. Not enough to leave a mark on the tires or fenders and the noise was gone after five or six miles.

Did you notice any smell that you thought was different than the way most new tires smell?

Not really. They're made in the Netherlands, so maybe recycled Tulips or clogs?

BoilerAnimal
08-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Not really. They're made in the Netherlands, so maybe recycled Tulips or clogs?

:yikes::roflblack:At this point, I don't care what they're made of, they are fantastic as far as I'm concerned!

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-03-2019, 11:14 PM
:yikes::roflblack:At this point, I don't care what they're made of, they are fantastic as far as I'm concerned!

:agree::2excited::thumbup::clap::clap: ……………….. Please let us know if you get caught in the rain ….. and are riding your Spyder ….. Mike:ohyea:

BoilerAnimal
08-03-2019, 11:32 PM
I will. I've only got about a month and a half of riding left this year. I'm getting surgery done on my right elbow on 9/17. Damn arthritis!