PDA

View Full Version : 1200 miles and dead in the water

obiwanbill
06-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Took my new SE5 in for the 1000 mile check up
during the computer hookup during the oil change, they told me the shifting sensor was shot which was causing the rare freeze into "E" gear between R and 1st. No part in stock, have to order might take a week.

Then 3 days later the bike is dead, won't turn over, stuck in 1st. A buddy crawled under with he 13 MM wrench to pop it back in N (I can't with one leg).

The dealer says his shop is full and not to bring it in til the part is here. For the 1000 mile check, he had one mechanic, who was off road testing another unit. Had to wait 90 minutes for the oil change to start. Then I heard the owner owns 4 stores in a 50 mile radius and that this was being closed. :cus:. So now in future, maybe for this repair, I'll have to drive further.

With all the warranties and aftermarket stuff, I've put 19K into an expensive dust magnet in my garage. I should be out driving, not waiting on some fool part:cus::cus::cus:

bone crusher
06-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Took my new SE5 in for the 1000 mile check up
during the computer hookup during the oil change, they told me the shifting sensor was shot which was causing the rare freeze into "E" gear between R and 1st. No part in stock, have to order might take a week.

Then 3 days later the bike is dead, won't turn over, stuck in 1st. A buddy crawled under with he 13 MM wrench to pop it back in N (I can't with one leg).

The dealer says his shop is full and not to bring it in til the part is here. For the 1000 mile check, he had one mechanic, who was off road testing another unit. Had to wait 90 minutes for the oil change to start. Then I heard the owner owns 4 stores in a 50 mile radius and that this was being closed. :cus:. So now in future, maybe for this repair, I'll have to drive further.

With all the warranties and aftermarket stuff, I've put 19K into an expensive dust magnet in my garage. I should be out driving, not waiting on some fool part:cus::cus::cus:

Do you have the BEST insurance plan? If so, BRP might be able to force a little more out of that dealership...for example...how long is the part REALLY going to take?

If they can't do it, perhaps your dealership will help get your bike to another dealership that can.

I am sorry to hear about your problem...

Saluda
06-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Wish you a speedy fix (and part delivery).

Dragonrider
06-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Good luck, and hopefully the only issue you have.

This is why I waited so long to buy one, and, even though my SO wanted the SE, I opted for the SM. Fortunately, I still have my K12LT, just in case.

Note that the BMW is frightfully expensive to maintain, has a very limited dealer network, and, like any high end machine, has it's mechanical issues too. I really believe the problems are a function of owning leading edge machines, and in both cases, justifies the cost of extended warrantees.

Firefly
06-30-2009, 10:47 AM
I feel your pain - I would not be happy. There is just no excuse for them not to get any part within 24-48 hours. Period!

wolfshead1
06-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Been lurking here for a while.I have been 200% sure I wanted a Spyder,it is hovering between 100% and 150% after reading these posts.

hope your back riding very soon.Keep us posted.

Dragonrider
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Dear lurking wolf - buy an SM, and see few, if any, problems.. so state the forum users.

Firefly
06-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Dear lurking wolf - buy an SM, and see few, if any, problems.. so state the forum users.

:agree:

Bersquack
06-30-2009, 03:08 PM
I feel your pain. Hang in there, you'll be riding again soon!

Smylinacha
06-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Hope your back on the road soon! I was thinking about upgrading to the touring model when it comes out but you know what, the :spyder:I got now, I like, and have had no problems with (knock on wood) so I might as well keep it and go for that BEST warranty (and a new seat)!

swamptrucker
06-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Greetings Spyder Lovers

I am going to purchase my spyder soon, and was planning on getting the SE, but now that I'm hearing stories of ploblems, I might just get the manual shift. I drive otr and I'm shifting my truck all day long, so I guess the shifting wouldn't be that big a deal. Any recommendations or imput would be appreciated.
swamptrucker

ataDude
06-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Greetings Spyder Lovers

I am going to purchase my spyder soon, and was planning on getting the SE, but now that I'm hearing stories of ploblems, I might just get the manual shift. I drive otr and I'm shifting my truck all day long, so I guess the shifting wouldn't be that big a deal. Any recommendations or imput would be appreciated.
swamptrucker

welcome

IMHO, I personally would wait a year or so on an SE even though there are a lot of SE owners here without problems. The small percentage with problems... such as sticking in gear and shutting down without notice... are safety issues.

The SM has been out for more than a year-and-a-half and is pretty much "debugged" although there are still a small number of anomalies. The SE has been out for about nine months.

That's my $0.02 and I'm sticking to it. :D

Bersquack
06-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Greetings Spyder Lovers

swamptrucker

I am a problem-free SE5 owner. I did think to order a SM5 instead after hearing a few stories, but at the end of the day I wanted a SE5 and decided to go with it and do not regret my decision. That being said, this is an internet forum and horror stories and complaints are always amplified. If you do not mind the shifting then get the SM5 and peace of mind. If you realy want the SE5, why not get that?

mvengineer
06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I bought my new SE5 2 months ago. I have had at least a dozen instances where I am stuck in gear 1 or total unable to shift to any gear. A couple of times I was in heavy traffic and was very concerned of being hit by another vehicle unaware of my inbility to move!!! very scary. Called BRP who was very cordial ( Carlo) and told me to notify my dealer for a possible software fix. Dealer told me mine was so new that all fixes have been incorporated by factory and there is nothing they can do. Now I dont know what to do but I have certainly lost confidence in my BELOVED spyder. I am still forgiving it because I love it so much and hope I will not be run over by a truck when I am a sitting duck unable to move. Called BRP yesterday and told them my story. Listened very cordially ( Julie) and told me will pass information to the right people. Still waiting and will not ride the spyder farther than 5 miles from home. Thanks for sharing

bone crusher
06-30-2009, 09:26 PM

Oh gee, if I say that, I get slammed (even though it's true)..:opps:

bone crusher
06-30-2009, 09:31 PM
I am a problem-free SE5 owner. I did think to order a SM5 instead after hearing a few stories, but at the end of the day I wanted a SE5 and decided to go with it and do not regret my decision. That being said, this is an internet forum and horror stories and complaints are always amplified. If you do not mind the shifting then get the SM5 and peace of mind. If you realy want the SE5, why not get that?

Someone said it this way on this board a month or two ago...(and it wasn't me)...

If you want to ride, get a SM5...if you want to drive, get the SE5.

My take: They are both a thrill but the SM5 is a little more interactive...beyond that, it's personal choice/preference...many here have physical limitations and cannot use a SM5 so the SE5 is the way to go...by getting the SE5 (and many times getting a right hand-brake), the Spyder gives many a new lease on motorcycling! This bike (either one) is sooo much fun...the clientele base is unlimited!

NancysToy
06-30-2009, 09:54 PM
I bought my new SE5 2 months ago. I have had at least a dozen instances where I am stuck in gear 1 or total unable to shift to any gear. A couple of times I was in heavy traffic and was very concerned of being hit by another vehicle unaware of my inbility to move!!! very scary. Called BRP who was very cordial ( Carlo) and told me to notify my dealer for a possible software fix. Dealer told me mine was so new that all fixes have been incorporated by factory and there is nothing they can do. Now I dont know what to do but I have certainly lost confidence in my BELOVED spyder. I am still forgiving it because I love it so much and hope I will not be run over by a truck when I am a sitting duck unable to move. Called BRP yesterday and told them my story. Listened very cordially ( Julie) and told me will pass information to the right people. Still waiting and will not ride the spyder farther than 5 miles from home. Thanks for sharing
Your dealer has an obligation to fix this thing. Take it there and leave it until he does...it is doing you no good like it is.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

obiwanbill
07-01-2009, 02:29 AM
... Called BRP who was very cordial ( Carlo) and told me to notify my dealer for a possible software fix. ... Called BRP yesterday and told them my story. Listened very cordially ( Julie) and told me will pass information to the right people.

The book had a Canadian number....a different dealer gave me a Wisconsin number that no one picked up, no voice mail:helpsmilie:

Bellville MI dealer is now telling me to take her to Plymouth MI dealer (same owner) and he will get the part there when it comes in

SpyderMechanic
07-03-2009, 11:16 PM
I feel your pain - I would not be happy. There is just no excuse for them not to get any part within 24-48 hours. Period!

Not meaning to be hatefull in any way.....you have obviously NEVER dealt with BRPs parts shipping "departments". Some orders can take weeks and in some cases of back orders months to reach the dealership.Case in point,the new windshields. We were supposed to recieve them three months ago,We got 1 in last week and another three today.Still waiting on 10 more that customers have already requested.Sometimes parts are recieved in just a few days,but that is also a roll of the dice.

trldncr
07-04-2009, 04:32 AM
Not meaning to be hatefull in any way.....you have obviously NEVER dealt with BRPs parts shipping "departments". Some orders can take weeks and in some cases of back orders months to reach the dealership.Case in point,the new windshields. We were supposed to recieve them three months ago,We got 1 in last week and another three today.Still waiting on 10 more that customers have already requested.Sometimes parts are recieved in just a few days,but that is also a roll of the dice.

Accessories are normally developed after the production vehicle has been confirmed so these parts are normally delayed as suppliers need lead time and engineering also needs time to develop but the actual parts used to assemble the production unit are more readily available unless there has been an issue with the parts such as the gear box position sensor which needed a fine tuning from the supplier. He should have no problem getting the angle rotation sensor within a few days if the dealer gets the order in right away

obiwanbill
07-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Not meaning to be hatefull in any way.....you have obviously NEVER dealt with BRPs parts shipping "departments". Some orders can take weeks and in some cases of back orders months to reach the dealership.Case in point,the new windshields. We were supposed to receive them three months ago,We got 1 in last week and another three today.Still waiting on 10 more that customers have already requested.Sometimes parts are received in just a few days,but that is also a roll of the dice.

Doesn't matter...to spend that much money on a motorcycle and to have lame excuses about back ordered parts is criminal. The bike getting stuck between R and 1 was due to this shift sensor, a common problem for SE5's. The brake squeal was due to a bad compound in the 2008 brakes (I bought a 2008 fresh out of the box 2 months ago). Dealer hooked it to a computer and it told him about the shifter. Parts back ordered and FINALLY received 3 weeks later. I suggested to Spyder HQ that this was dumb and if back ordered parts are FINALLY received from their supplier, that they should be overnighted to the dealer, not shipped thru the 3-7 day system. She agreed that was a good idea.

Got transferred to new dealer in Plymouth Mi. Svc Mgr Dewey (a real nice guy) told me 4 hours for this warranty work...was out in 2! No more sticky transmission!! no more squeaky brakes!! And all covered by warranty. Have put 500 miles on since then, no problems thats to Dewey!!:ohyea:

effgjamis
07-18-2009, 10:36 AM

I am beginning to see the light.... For me to wait 2-3 weeks for a bearing seal for the 12k service is totally not acceptable.. Also, I believe the cost of the service for many of us, is bringing up a thought of selling the spyder, or have already put it up for sale... For a 20k machine, and the delay of parts, excessive charges for service is getting hard on most of us, especially those with fixed incomes which do not increase with the cost of living.
I had one quote from a dealer ( 12k service ) of $1,100 and another for $745, and the interesting thing, both dealers are owned by the same people, just 95 miles apart.

spydsense
07-18-2009, 03:12 PM
I am beginning to see the light.... For me to wait 2-3 weeks for a bearing seal for the 12k service is totally not acceptable.. Also, I believe the cost of the service for many of us, is bringing up a thought of selling the spyder, or have already put it up for sale... For a 20k machine, and the delay of parts, excessive charges for service is getting hard on most of us, especially those with fixed incomes which do not increase with the cost of living.
I had one quote from a dealer ( 12k service ) of $1,100 and another for $745, and the interesting thing, both dealers are owned by the same people, just 95 miles apart.

I have gotten two quotes for the 12k service $840 and $475...... I have had at least 6 times when parts needed to be ordered and they all took 1 week to get the part. I think my dealer only stocks oil and oil filters.....

ataDude
07-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I have gotten two quotes for the 12k service $840 and $475...... I have had at least 6 times when parts needed to be ordered and they all took 1 week to get the part. I think my dealer only stocks oil and oil filters.....

The cheaper one is probably just charging for CHECKING the valves. The more expensive, ADJUSTING the valves.

If you like the higher dealer, ask the question about adjustment vs checking. I'll bet they come back lower.

silverfox
07-18-2009, 07:07 PM
please dont tell me i screwed up when i got my spyder? only has 700 miles on it and I've already spent over two grand just buying extra stuff.

Big Arm
07-18-2009, 07:24 PM
please dont tell me i screwed up when i got my spyder? only has 700 miles on it and I've already spent over two grand just buying extra stuff.

:roflblack: Welcome to the real spyder world of mods and extras.:clap: welcome
I spent that today on a bushtec !!!!

bone crusher
07-18-2009, 08:26 PM
How goes it all now?