PDA

View Full Version : Ride on, should I?... Which formula and dosage?

MakoShark2
05-19-2019, 01:41 PM
How many are using the ride on tyre sealant on their Spyder?

Which formula (car or mortocycle) and dosage?

Thanks.

aka1004
05-19-2019, 02:12 PM
I just contacted rideon with same questions and they said to use motorcycle formula. I did explain to them that I have car tires on the spyder. The calculator on their website says 9 oz. in front and 11 in back or 2 oz. more per for heavy dosage.
This is for 175/55 and 205/50.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-19-2019, 03:39 PM
I just contacted rideon with same questions and they said to use motorcycle formula. I did explain to them that I have car tires on the spyder. The calculator on their website says 9 oz. in front and 11 in back or 2 oz. more per for heavy dosage.
This is for 175/55 and 205/50.

To me this is a no-brainer ….. use the formula for CAR tires …. it doesn't matter what vehicle they are on ……. jmho ….. Mike :ohyea:

Ibified
05-19-2019, 03:41 PM
This stuff is amazing - I use it in everything.

Airborne
05-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Excuse my ignorance boys but what is this stuff, i am aware of tire sealant for after a puncher, is this stuff used in a different way??

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Excuse my ignorance boys but what is this stuff, i am aware of tire sealant for after a puncher, is this stuff used in a different way??

Thank you for your service :clap: ……………. this stuff is what folks use ….to prevent a flat …. it can be a bit messy when the tire gets changed , but probably not that bad ….. way better than a flat ….. Mike :ohyea:

aka1004
05-19-2019, 04:33 PM
I can’t remember if I used car formula or motorcycle before or what consensus was so I contacted them.
If I know what the actual difference was I would lean one way other but...

BajaRon
05-19-2019, 04:41 PM
I have used both the Car Tire and the Motorcycle Tire formulas in my Spyder/Ryker. I don't want to say my experience is extensive or that the Ride-On guys are wrong. I've found them to be very knowledgeable. But my definite experience is that the Car formula does a better job of balancing than does the Motorcycle version in the Spyder/Ryker. This, to me, is the most important aspect. Especially with Kenda tires which are notoriously OUT OF BALANCE! Out of Round! And should be Out of Business!

The down side to the car tire formula is that you'll get the 5 minute wheel hop at the beginning of your ride if you let it sit for 2 weeks or more. On a small, light vehicle like the Spyder, this wheel hop is more noticeable than it would be on a much heavier car. But once the car tire formula redistributes, I've gotten a much smoother ride with the car tire formula than with the motorcycle version.

In my experience, and as stated by Ride-On, the motorcycle formula redistributes much more quickly after sitting for long periods than does the car tire formula. I've not gotten any wheel hop after letting the motorcycle formula sit.

Just speculation, but Ride-On may have gotten a lot of complaints about the wheel hop when using the car tire formula. This may be why they switched their tune from originally recommending the Car Tire formula for the Spyder.

The other speculation I have is that putting a designated 'Car Tire' formula into a tire that states 'Motorcycle Tire' on the side (even though it is actually a car tire) might present a liability to Ride-On. Who knows.

If you can put up with an occasional 5 minute tire hop at the beginning of your ride. I'd go with the car formula.

Madison Sully
05-19-2019, 04:59 PM
I use RideOn in all my PTW tires. Never had a flat.
For those that say it's messy when you take the tire off, well, no one has ever said it to me because I do my own tires.
But "Drama queen" comes to mind for any ""mechanic"" who says that.
What, never got your hands dirty? Stuff washes off with water, and if you do it right you don't even get any on your hands.
(That said, it's probably a nice gesture to tell them the stuff is in there.)

MakoShark2
05-20-2019, 02:06 AM
Thank you guys, everyone has been very helpful.

I think I'll go for the motorcycle formula.

Fire34
05-20-2019, 06:56 AM
Hi Guys
What is the difference between ride on and the sealent Lamonster sells as we are going on an upcoming 3 day trip. I would like to know which one would be better to use, Thanks guys
Dave

aka1004
05-20-2019, 08:42 AM
I must have used motorcycle formula because I’ve never had the ‘wheel hopping’ symptoms bajaron described even after weeks of seating nor the first ride after the injection. It was very short bumpy ride then smooth, always.

PW2013STL
05-20-2019, 09:06 AM
Hi Guys
What is the difference between ride on and the sealent Lamonster sells as we are going on an upcoming 3 day trip. I would like to know which one would be better to use, Thanks guys
Dave

What Lamont sells doesn't balance the tire - only seals them.

IgoFar2
05-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Have look here: https://www.ride-on.com/us/home

AeroPilot
05-20-2019, 12:37 PM
172121 Had about 6 oz of RIDEON in my front Kenda when I had a puncture...It didnt seal by itself, but after I added the mushroom plug from my StopnGo kit it held with no leaks for another 5000 miles or so. I plan to just carry the mushroom plug kit and use Lamonsters centramatic balancers to balance.