PDA

View Full Version : 10w40 redline oil

P.W.
05-19-2019, 08:50 AM
I run redline oil products in all my cars.....and would like to use in our new 2019 RTL But since I'm new to motorcycles would this oil be safe for the engine & tranny combo in the Spyder?
This is there "motorcycle" oil that is "Blended with specific friction modifiers that are compatible with wet-clutches, suitable for JASO MA applications"

https://www.redlineoil.com/10w40-motorcycle-oil

Thanks,
P.W.

P.W.
05-19-2019, 09:00 AM
Or, am I to use this "car" engine oil that states "Recommended for API SN/SM/SL/CF and ACEA A3/B3/B4"

https://www.redlineoil.com/5w40-motor-oil

JayBros
05-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Do NOT use car engine oils. Look in your operator's guide and use the motorcycle oil that meets the API service specification(s) called for in the guide.

Chupaca
05-19-2019, 09:03 AM
If it matches the specs in your manual your good to go. Don't know them off hand but someone will. That seems expensive per quart and there are many good oils out there. :thumbup:

P.W.
05-19-2019, 09:15 AM
That's just it..... the"motorcycle" oil says nothing about API service classification sj,sl,sm, or sn ....just that it's "Blended with specific friction modifiers that are compatible with wet-clutches, suitable for JASO MA applications"

On the other hand..... the "Car" engine oil does have the API service classification sj,sl,sm, or sn.....but says nothing about "wet clutches".

Confused!!

P.W.

Ex-Rocket
05-19-2019, 09:33 AM
BajaRon a sponsor here has the Amsoil that is perfect for your Spyder.

Mikey
05-19-2019, 09:51 AM
If your oil don't say safe for wet clutches I would not try it!! There are a lot of good oils out there for this app. I am not going any further with that, but I am shore some one will:popcorn::clap:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-19-2019, 10:59 AM
BajaRon a sponsor here has the Amsoil that is perfect for your Spyder.

Or for less cost …. Rotella T6 -5w 40 full synthetic …. very many here use it …. do an advanced search to find the current Re-Bate ,,,,, saves quite a bit ….. Mike :ohyea:

Lew L
05-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Or for less cost …. Rotella T6 -5w 40 full synthetic …. very many here use it …. do an advanced search to find the current Re-Bate ,,,,, saves quite a bit ….. Mike :ohyea:

+1 on the Rotella

billybovine
05-19-2019, 11:33 AM
It would be preferable to use a JASO MA2 rated oil.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-19-2019, 12:16 PM
It would be preferable to use a JASO MA2 rated oil.

And Rotella T-6 is …… Mike :ohyea:

JAS POWER
05-19-2019, 01:27 PM
That's just it..... the"motorcycle" oil says nothing about API service classification sj,sl,sm, or sn ....just that it's "Blended with specific friction modifiers that are compatible with wet-clutches, suitable for JASO MA applications"

On the other hand..... the "Car" engine oil does have the API service classification sj,sl,sm, or sn.....but says nothing about "wet clutches".

Confused!!

P.W.

If you scroll down on the link for the Redline motorcycle oil you want too use it says...

TYPICAL PROPERTIES

API Service Class SJ/SG/SH JASO MA
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 10W40

I would say it will work just fine.

P.W.
05-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Great catch! Didn't see that....

Thanks,
P.W.

BajaRon
05-19-2019, 04:46 PM
I run redline oil products in all my cars.....and would like to use in our new 2019 RTL But since I'm new to motorcycles would this oil be safe for the engine & tranny combo in the Spyder?
This is there "motorcycle" oil that is "Blended with specific friction modifiers that are compatible with wet-clutches, suitable for JASO MA applications"

https://www.redlineoil.com/10w40-motorcycle-oil

Thanks,
P.W.

Have not looked into this particular oil. But you want a JASO rating of MA2. Your statement that this oil is compatible with JASO MA applications is a bit concerning unless it specifically states MA2. There are a number of MA ratings. MA2 is the highest JASO rating and highly recommended. Some clutches can tolerate lesser MA rated lubricants. And the 1330 may well be one of these. But if the oil you use slips your clutch. It won't be pretty or cheap to fix.

P.W.
05-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Although I really want to use Redline...... I think I'm going to stick with the XPS oil change kit since it has all the "o" rings, crush washers and the correct oil all in one convenient kit!

P.W.

Deanna777
05-19-2019, 05:36 PM
I use Valvoline Motor Cycle Oil, 4T Stroke Full Synthetic SAE 10W-40 Superior Wet Clutch Protection EXCEEDS API SERVICES SJ/SG,/SF JASMO MA2.

Its formulated for the specific needs of motorcycles,including high temperatures,high RPMS, and wet clutch systems.

Synthetic formula maximums power and acceleration. Excellent wear & corrosion protection to help keep the engine performing its best.

Deanna

BajaRon
05-19-2019, 08:10 PM
I did look up the Redline oil. It is MA rated, not MA2. It may work just fine. It's just good insurance to get an MA2 rated oil. Otherwise, the only way to be sure an oil will work is to risk destroying your wet clutch.

JASO is a rating developed by Japanese engineers (hence the 'J' designation) to address wet clutch applications, among other things. The ratings can be a bit confusing. But simply put, if the oil meets all parameters of an MA1 oil (the lowest wet clutch friction value), then it is rated MA1. If it meets all the requirements for an MA2 oil (the highest wet clutch friction value), then it is rated MA2. If it meets all of the MA1 requirements, and some of the MA2 requirements, it is then rated an MA lubricant.

This is what the JASO web site states.

4T Specifications Meaning 4 Stroke - Wet Clutch
Modern passenger car engine oils contain more and more friction modifiers. While this is a good thing for that segment (reduces wear and fuel consumption) it is very bad for motorcycles which use engine oil to lubricate their transmission and wet clutch. JASO introduced the MA and MB specification to distinguish between friction modified and non friction modified engine oils. Most four-stroke motorcycles with wet clutches need a JASO MA oil.

JASO MA
Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oil system for engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified.

JASO MB
MB grade oils are classified as the lowest friction oils among motorcycle four-cycle oils. Not to be used where a JASO MA grade oil is required.

JASO MA oils are further broken down into categories MA1, MA & MA2 designating how much clutch friction (or lack thereof) will be available depending on which formula is used.

Motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard are classified into four grades: Going from Low clutch friction to High clutch friction they are; JASO MB, MA1, MA and MA2. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system firction test.

As you can see in the chart, there is a range within which a rated oil can fall. So you can get an MA2 oil that just barely meets the MA2 requirements. Or you can get an oil that rates very high in each category of the MA2 rating. Without more information on the particular oil you are using, it is difficult to know if your oil just barely makes the cut. Or if it is near the top of its class. This goes for all ratings. Your MA oil may just barely make the cut. Or, it might be just short of a full MA2 rating. However, usually, if an oil is close to the next level, the manufacture will make the modification necessary to achieve the next higher rating.

I can tell you that the 1330 clutch is much less picky about which oil you use than the 998, which is quite picky.

P.W.
05-20-2019, 06:31 AM
Thanks for your time on the Write up!!

Take care,
P.W.

BajaRon
05-20-2019, 08:03 AM
Thanks for your time on the Write up!!

Take care,
P.W.

No problem. I've had some customers who have used an inappropriate oil and destroyed their clutch. I hope to save someone that experience. Not to discourage anyone from branching out as there are a number of great lubricants out there that will work at least as well as the BRP product. You just need to do a little bit of homework to be sure you're getting what you need.

Just be careful when you recommend an oil. Especially when you're ridding a 1330 motor. Some poor guy with a 998 may take your recommendation and find out the hard way that what works in your 1330 doesn't necessarily work in a 998 V-Twin.

cueman
05-20-2019, 10:32 AM
Which brings me to the next logical question, in my mind anyway, what is the best oil for our Rykers? Maybe you can give us the top three oils IYO. I’m an Amsoil user in my GW. I guess the 10w 40 metric would work well but, since we don’t need the friction modifiers, can we use a more slippery oil in our Rykers? If you don’t mind, what do you use? :chat: cueman. PS, I know we talked about this before but at that time maybe more info. is available now.

BajaRon
05-20-2019, 11:05 AM
Which brings me to the next logical question, in my mind anyway, what is the best oil for our Rykers? Maybe you can give us the top three oils IYO. I’m an Amsoil user in my GW. I guess the 10w 40 metric would work well but, since we don’t need the friction modifiers, can we use a more slippery oil in our Rykers? If you don’t mind, what do you use? :chat: cueman. PS, I know we talked about this before but at that time maybe more info. is available now.

The Ryker, having a CVT and not a wet clutch transmission, is a completely different animal. I don't want to come off as any oil Guru. I simply share what I've learned over the years. Lubricants are a very complicated product. I certainly don't know it all.

I have yet to change oil in my Ryker. But you are correct that logically, we don't need to abide by the restrictions created to service an engine, transmission and wet clutch with a single product as is required in the Spyder (and any other wet clutch motorcycle). Because the Ryker engine stands alone. I don't see any reason why we cannot use a lubricant which is specifically targeted for engine only applications. Obviously, oil manufacturer's have made some significant improvements in these oil types. Less friction, better fuel mileage. What's not to like?

I sell and use Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil. It is a true synthetic oil and works great in all years/models Spyders. I know there is a 5w-40 vs 10w-40 debate. But it is a non-issue. Both viscosities work fine. But the Spyder is actually better off with a 10w-40 than with a 5w-40 for reasons that I've posted before.

Regarding the very different question about the Ryker, I called Amsoil awhile back and asked their 'Expert'. But I am afraid I received a CYA answer, which was to use the wet clutch oil type recommended by BRP/Can-Am. They gave no reason or supporting data for their answer. I really don't think the guy I spoke to put any thought into the question at all.

I have not yet decided which way I am going to go when oil change time comes around. But I am leaning towards a fully synthetic, engine only Amsoil product with all the friction modifiers I can get! These oils are not only better suited (IMHO). They are also less expensive than the motorcycle, wet clutch specific oils, (not that cost has much affect on my choice of oil, just saying) because they don't have to be a Jack of All Trades. And I don't see why I need to get an oil targeted and compromised to suit a system I do not have.

cueman
05-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Thanks BajaRon, I will be calling in an order for 4 oil filter kits and some other stuff later in the week. ;) cueman

P.W.
05-20-2019, 01:27 PM
I contacted Redline themselves to see if there 10w40 motorcycle oil was rated for "MA2"

Here is there reply:
"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the 10W40 Motorcycle Oil would satisfy the MA/MA1 wet clutch compatibility not the MA2"

P.W.

BajaRon
05-20-2019, 01:55 PM
I contacted Redline themselves to see if there 10w40 motorcycle oil was rated for "MA2"

Here is there reply:
"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the 10W40 Motorcycle Oil would satisfy the MA/MA1 wet clutch compatibility not the MA2"

P.W.

Consistent with the information on the bottle. I would have been surprised for them to say anything else.

P.W.
05-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Thanks a lot for pointing that out to me!!!!

P.W.

BajaRon
05-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Thanks a lot for pointing that out to me!!!!

P.W.

Sorry, not trying to get on you about it. Who knows. Sometimes I do research on a product and what they tell me does not agree with the published specs. So you never know One place I looked at listed the Redline Oil as having an MB JASO rating when in fact, the current product is JASO MA rated. Big difference!

I assumed that was old information which had not been updated. But there was no date stamp on it so who would ever know?

P.W.
05-20-2019, 05:12 PM
All is good......when I said " thanks for pointing that out to me' I meant the MA2 classification on the Redline oil......sorry for coming off the wrong way.
I appreciate your input on this thread!!!!

P.W.

BajaRon
05-20-2019, 05:25 PM
All is good......when I said " thanks for pointing that out to me' I meant the MA2 classification on the Redline oil......sorry for coming off the wrong way.
I appreciate your input on this thread!!!!

P.W.

You didn't really come off the wrong way. But the written word can sometimes mean different things depending on the reader. I just wanted to be sure I did not say something that came off wrong.

Have a Great Riding Season!

P.W.
05-20-2019, 06:59 PM
We just bought an orange 19 RTL on Sat!
BUT in need to get my motorcycle licenses before I can ride.....LOL

Sarge
05-28-2019, 05:05 PM
Amsoil ... +1 !