PDA

View Full Version : Michigan roads or sites to see

Scotts8826
05-16-2019, 05:33 PM
My buddy and I have a week or so for a trip this July. Since it is the summer we need to head north so I am looking at the UP of Michigan. Leaving from Kansas City I'm thinking of heading to Davenport, IA and follow the Mississippi for a bit. Then head to I'm Michigan. I've read the Tunnel of Trees is a good ride. Any other suggestions for roads to ride or stops to see in Michigan? Would the west or east side of the "mitt" be better to ride south on?

SpyderAnn01
05-16-2019, 05:56 PM
The West side is the best side! If you come over the Mackinaw Bridge head to Tunnel of Trees then keep heading west.

ARtraveler
05-16-2019, 06:09 PM
Have to agree...the tunnel of trees is good. Also the sites in and around Copper Harbor on the peninsula are very good.

Flanker
05-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Aaahhhh yes; the Tunnel of Trees. Almost met my maker there a couple of times in years past. Great ride-----use prudence and restraint! :opps: Anything from Muskegon on north (Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park) on our W Coast is pretty good riding territory. Porcupine Mountains in the UP are very nice (not really mountains by Rocky standards).

Traverse City, Leelenau Peninsula, Old Mission Peninsula/Wine Country Tour is great. Traverse City Cherry Festival in July is awesome but PACKED SOLID! Be warned! Have a great ride and trip!

dpetrick
05-17-2019, 09:49 AM
If you like waterfalls there are several in The UP.

Scotts8826
05-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. At this point, once I'm done with riding up the Mississippi for a day, I'll head to Copper Harbor, turn south towards Mackinaw City, and travel down the west side of Michigan. Should make an enjoyable week.

roofus7044
05-17-2019, 10:32 AM
M26 between Phoenix and Cobber Harbor is awesome. I would also go up Brockway Mountain Dr which is off M26. I was up there last summer with my Spyder and it was a blast.

sandeejs
05-17-2019, 01:22 PM
The west is the "sunset side". Be sure to catch it over lake michigan.
I think Hartwick Pines State Park is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Its not quite on the west side, tho.
Saugatuck, further south is a pretty town. Pretty expensive, too.

Enjoy!

~Sandee~

WisconsinDavid
05-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Be sure to fill up with fuel in Copper Harbor, as there are few gas stations that far out on the peninsula. The ride from Houghton through the trees and twisties is fun. Also, wandering the lakeshore back to Houghton is a beautiful ride. Watch out for moose (and deer and bear and...) on the peninsula... they make their home there too. The gas station has been improved there. It no longer harbors an elderly woman in a hut who only takes cash. Don't ask! :) There is a rustic place on the main drive called The Pines Resort. It features rooms, a fun bar (Zik's) and The Pines restaurant. We have stopped there twice so far and always had a good time. As you head into the UP, Escanaba is a fun town. Further east is the Big Mac bridge. The UP rides, either along the northern shore of Lake Michigan or southern shore of Superior, are scenic. Have fun and have a safe trip.

Indyron
05-17-2019, 02:57 PM
H58 from Grand Marias to Munising is spectacular

ChicagoSpyder
05-17-2019, 04:54 PM
M26 between Phoenix and Cobber Harbor is awesome. I would also go up Brockway Mountain Dr which is off M26. I was up there last summer with my Spyder and it was a blast.
M26 is a winner for sure, I would run that from Phoenix to Eagle River to Copper Harbor via Brockway Mountain, go south out of CH on US 41 and then just north of Ahmeek head east on the Mohawk/Gay road to Gay and of course you have to stop at the Gay Bar, from there take the Gay/Lac LaBelle Rd north back to US 41 and being the east side of the Kewwenaw Peninsula the water is warm by Lake Superior standards which is a great cool off on a hot July day.

Be sure to fill up with fuel in Copper Harbor, as there are few gas stations that far out on the peninsula. The ride from Houghton through the trees and twisties is fun. Also, wandering the lakeshore back to Houghton is a beautiful ride. Watch out for moose (and deer and bear and...) on the peninsula... they make their home there too. The gas station has been improved there. It no longer harbors an elderly woman in a hut who only takes cash. Don't ask! :) There is a rustic place on the main drive called The Pines Resort. It features rooms, a fun bar (Zik's) and The Pines restaurant. We have stopped there twice so far and always had a good time. As you head into the UP, Escanaba is a fun town. Further east is the Big Mac bridge. The UP rides, either along the northern shore of Lake Michigan or southern shore of Superior, are scenic. Have fun and have a safe trip.

The old man was a real beatoff, he made the old lady seem pleasant LOL

H58 from Grand Marias to Munising is spectacular
That's definetly a road to incorporate into the ride :2thumbs:

woods
05-17-2019, 06:04 PM
+1 for the porkys! Lake of the Clouds and on the back side Presque Isle Falls,awesome,lot's of walking on boardwalk. If in Ontanogon don't miss Stumpf's bar n museum!

Scotts8826
05-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to pull up a map as I read through this thread. Thanks again.