PDA

View Full Version : Alaska to Arkansas

ARtraveler
05-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Yesterday (5/10) was our final day at the house. Packers came the day before and got everything ready. All three motorcycles were picked up to be hauled away and crated for the big move. They will be riding on a platform in the van with my household goods. We will see how good that works out. :roflblack:

After the house was cleaned out...we headed to a local motel for a one night stay. Went out to supper with family members for final good byes.

Saturday (5/11) we stopped at our favorite breakfast place one last time. By 9:00 we were on the road for our first leg of the journey. We started easy, a little over 300 miles, and ended up at TOK, AK. We are about 90 miles from the Canadian Border. We intend to go a bit further with at least Whitehorse YT or further as our next destination. We are not making reservations as we do not know how far we will get each day.

The roads were pretty good to Tok. About 20 miles of assorted frost heaves scattered amongst the last 100 miles of the journey.

The scenery was spectacular...but so big, that a camera does not capture it well. Those who have already traveled AK know what I am talking about.

We pretty much had the road to ourselves once we got 100 miles from home. Most of the traffic was fifth wheels, Class A's, and trailers. Glad they were going inbound.

That is today's adventure.

4 MARIE
05-11-2019, 07:52 PM
what an adventure, and a big step at any age. thanks for the travel tales, and keep them coming.

LeftCoast
05-11-2019, 09:14 PM
I was about to give you a hard time for not posting but then you did. Thanks AR, i want food reviews on this trip. The number of gut busting options are probably unlimited.

Drive safe buddy!

LC

Netminder
05-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Have a very safe journey.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-11-2019, 10:12 PM
You know I wish you all the best..... also hope the weather is in your favor ….. Footnote : I just drove back from Spyderfest in Mo. …. 1420 miles in 28.5 hrs...… 10 hrs less than going there …… Yep I'm a drive-a-holic …… Mike :ohyea:

SpyderAnn01
05-11-2019, 11:34 PM
We stayed at a delightful bed and breakfast dog sled place in Whitehorse called Muk Tuk Lodge. Check it out

Luvs2Ride
05-12-2019, 08:39 AM
So happy you're posting updates as you make this move! Will be looking forward to the next one!!!
Gina J

Bob Denman
05-12-2019, 01:29 PM
D,
Safe travels… :thumbup:

Joe T.
05-12-2019, 04:07 PM
This will be interesting.

Would it be possible to have your trip shown on a Google Map, or some other 'map" every few days to see the progress and what roads you are taking, etc. That would be very interesting.

Regards,
Joe T.

LeftCoast
05-12-2019, 06:34 PM
I have to admit I am living a bit vicariously through AR on this adventure.

ARtraveler
05-12-2019, 08:58 PM
Day 2: Tok to Whitehorse YT. 387 miles

Almost 400 miles today. We decided to stay at one of the Westmarks. Okay...but will stick to the smaller mom & pops for the rest of the Canada portion. Decided to have a real meal tonight. My prime rib....not so exciting, Linda did have very good salmon though.

Stayed at Golden Bear in Tok. Restaurant next door. The best burgers, fries, and shakes that we have had in a couple months. And we do a lot of them.

The road between Tok and Whitehorse was better than I have ever seen it. I have talked in the past about the BIG frost heaves. Even gave them the name "whoop te doos" That stretch of road has been improved a lot. There are still a lot of small frost heaves....but you do not have to slow down to 20 to go over them now.

Tomorrow the plan is Muncho Lake. 442 miles or so.

LeftCoast
05-12-2019, 10:04 PM
I’ve found a lot of times on these travels a good steak is a pretty hit or miss thing. I honestly get the biggest kick out of actually getting good diner food, that burger shake kind of thing with a good piece of pie. The thing is after about 3 days of this I’m really wanting something else.

Good to know your SO got a good piece of fish.

d.o.spyder-rts
05-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the updates, keep them coming-safe travels. Dale

ARtraveler
05-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Day 3: Whitehorse YT to Muncho Lake BC. 442 miles.

I have not mentioned the weather yet. All three days have been bluebird skies and temps in the 50's. Today, a few more clouds and a couple of sprinkles.

Arrived in Muncho Lake at 4:30 PM. Staying at Northern Rockies Lodge. It has gas and an attached restaurant. Only $89 to fill my gas tank. It was about 3/4 empty. Gas is now high priced in Canada. Only two more tanks and we will be in the lower 48 (Montana).

The scenery today was varied and beautiful. The wildlife was out once we got into BC. We saw a couple herds of caribou, several herds of bison, and three black bears. All conveniently grazing alongside the road.

Tomorrow, the plan is Muncho Lake to Dawson Creek, the official beginning of the Alcan Highway. Then we will be on regular Canadian roads for our journey South to Montana.

I have now driven on the Alaska Hwy four times. To AK (2001), Back to Whitehorse and Skagway (2010) and now the final journey out (2019). So far, we have not run into any really bad construction or bad areas. I am now going to say that all the stuff we have heard about the Alcan Hwy is more puffing than truth. Most of the road we drove today was 100 KM/h (62 mph). Had to slow down a few times for curves and the occasional frost heave, but nothing like I experienced in 2001 and 2010.

Linda says hello to all her friends.

Will talk more tomorrow.

dpetrick
05-13-2019, 08:28 PM
AR glad to hear the trip is going well.

Bob Denman
05-14-2019, 06:42 AM
:agree: :thumbup:
Assuming that you're sticking to your timetable: when do you figure on getting to your new home?

HayRog
05-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Safe journey AR (aka AK) -- in your virtual passenger seat with you. Thanks. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-14-2019, 07:47 PM
:agree: :thumbup:
Assuming that you're sticking to your timetable: when do you figure on getting to your new home?

Arrival in AR on Sunday the 19th. The closing on the new home, the week of the 20th.

ARtraveler
05-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Day 4: Muncho Lake to Dawson Creek (the end/beginning of the Alaska Hwy). 430 miles

An interesting ride today. Crossed the Canadian Rockies, roads were narrow and curvy. Speeds 30 to 50 mph for the first hundred miles or so. As we came off the plateau, the roads got much better and we were up to 62 mph (100 km/h). Saw a caribou and some bears today. Not as much wildlife as yesterday.

Weather started out blue sky, but turned cloudy. No rain to speak of though.

Last night we stayed at the Northern Rockies Resort on Muncho Lake. Very beautiful. Their dining room served a limited menu (we are a couple weeks early for the beginning of the tourist season. Took a chance and ordered the schnitzel and spaetzle. Have eaten at German restaurants all over the US...and this was the best we have had. Whooda thought?

Tomorrow, the plan is to make it as far as Red Deer AB. Then...the next day on to Montana. :popcorn:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-14-2019, 11:57 PM
Day 4: Muncho Lake to Dawson Creek (the end/beginning of the Alaska Hwy). 430 miles

An interesting ride today. Crossed the Canadian Rockies, roads were narrow and curvy. Speeds 30 to 50 mph for the first hundred miles or so. As we came off the plateau, the roads got much better and we were up to 62 mph (100 km/h). Saw a caribou and some bears today. Not as much wildlife as yesterday.

Weather started out blue sky, but turned cloudy. No rain to speak of though.

Last night we stayed at the Northern Rockies Resort on Muncho Lake. Very beautiful. Their dining room served a limited menu (we are a couple weeks early for the beginning of the tourist season. Took a chance and ordered the schnitzel and spaetzle. Have eaten at German restaurants all over the US...and this was the best we have had. Whooda thought?

Tomorrow, the plan is to make it as far as Red Deer AB. Then...the next day on to Montana. :popcorn:

:clap::clap: ........ It's difficult to even find those two items on a menu ..... to find ones that are very good is a miracle :roflblack:...... Mike :ohyea:

Bob Denman
05-15-2019, 05:48 PM
...Then...the next day on to Montana. :popcorn:
:D That sounds like a song... :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZA9Jv3qH0

ARtraveler
05-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Day 5: Dawson Creek BC to Red Deer AB. 460 miles.

Day started rainy, but not real hard. More like light drizzle. We ended at 7:00 PM (Mountain STD Time).

We saw no wildlife today. Drove mostly through level farm country. They were very large farms. The road was mostly two lane divided hwy with speeds at 110 KM/h. (68 mph).

Had a bit of an adventure today. Out in the middle of nowhere, we had a tire malfunction. Ran over a bolt and it punctured the tire. Thank you FOBO warning lights. Got to put the donut tire on in the rain of course. A good Samaritan stopped half way through and finished the job for me. Only sixty miles away was a full service tire store. In Whitecourt AB. They had the right tires in stock and took us in the repair bay right away. That was the first tire store in almost 2,000 miles of our trip. The Good Lord was watching out for us again.

Soon going out to eat something. Staying at the Ramada in Red Deer tonight.

More good news...the new owners are officially closing the deal on Friday....meaning we can close on the new home in AR next week. A big load off my shoulders. Again...thank you Lord.

RapidSpyder
05-15-2019, 10:40 PM

I was thinking Alberta Bound myself, except going the other way...

https://youtu.be/Hx4EkjJw5xk

Peter Aawen
05-15-2019, 10:58 PM

Jeez Bob, didja really hafta!! :yikes:

Altho I do hafta admit that I now remember exactly why I really didn't like that one the first time round! :barf:

But that was good news all round for you AR; isn't it sometimes just so.... affirming (?!) when everything comes together like that!? :thumbup:

cptjam
05-16-2019, 01:17 AM
Bully!! Trip is going fantastic, the real estate is falling in order! Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more of you, now that you are in the lower 48. Welcome back! Joe

Bob Denman
05-16-2019, 06:56 AM
Jeez Bob, didja really hafta!! :yikes:

Altho I do hafta admit that I now remember exactly why I really didn't like that one the first time round! :barf:

But that was good news all round for you AR; isn't it sometimes just so.... affirming (?!) when everything comes together like that!? :thumbup:

:shocked: What have you got against the Mothers of (Invention? :bowdown:

(Did you ever hear Frank play the bicycle?)

ARtraveler
05-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Day 6: Red Deer AB to Great Falls MT. 397 miles

After 2440 miles of Canada, we have finally made it to the lower 48. :yes:
It feels good to be back in the USA.

Another drizzly day. No spectacular scenery today. Kind of like riding the eastern half of SD. Staying at LaQuinta in Great Falls. Three more days of travel and we will arrive in AR.

Bob Denman
05-17-2019, 06:54 AM
Welcome back to the "Mainland"! :D

Yazz
05-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Looking forward to seeing y'all again! :yes:

RapidSpyder
05-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Hope you’re not running into any snow

ARtraveler
05-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Hope you’re not running into any snow

So far.….none. Rained all day today though.

ARtraveler
05-17-2019, 06:55 PM
Day 7: Great Falls MT to Sheridan WY. 550 miles

Another rainy day today. All day long. The scenery all through MT was pretty nice. It felt warm and inviting compared to the stark and forbidding stuff we are used to in AK. In short, it feels good to be home again.

Going to head out for some supper, check more here, and then go to bed for the night.

JAEN
05-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Is the moving van ahead or behind you? Are you and the movers taking different routes? Have a safe trip because we are all riding with you and Linda.

ARtraveler
05-18-2019, 08:00 PM
Is the moving van ahead or behind you? Are you and the movers taking different routes? Have a safe trip because we are all riding with you and Linda.

Moving van supposed to arrive in about three weeks.

ARtraveler
05-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Day 8: Sheridan WY to Sioux City IA. 640 miles

We had sleet and snow all the way to Spearfish SD. It was sticking on the ground and on objects. The Highway was wet, but not slick. Scenic in Wy but not so throughout SD. No problems to report.

Tomorrow is the final day....Will be in AR.

JAEN
05-18-2019, 09:52 PM
WOW,I thought they quit using wagon-trains in the 1800's ! Take care.

Cruzr Joe
05-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Where in Arkansas are you moving to??? I am in Bryant AR, just outside of Little Rock in Saline County.

Cruzr Joe

cptjam
05-19-2019, 12:33 AM
Great report! Welcome home! The lower 48 rocks! Get settled, unpack, and meet us in Deadwood, SD for the rally! It will be great to see you guys again! July is coming!

ARtraveler
05-20-2019, 05:58 PM
Where in Arkansas are you moving to??? I am in Bryant AR, just outside of Little Rock in Saline County.

Cruzr Joe

NW....…..PM sent.

ARtraveler
05-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Day 9: Sioux City IA to AR. 743 miles. 4350 total miles.

Made it safely to AR just as it was getting dark. Our longest day of the trip. Going to take a couple days to unwind.

Thanks for your support and interest.

Peter Aawen
05-20-2019, 07:42 PM
:congrats: Now :nopic: You know you hafta provide pics to show us all it really happened! ;)

Enjoy your unwinding, but having said that, when do the Spyders get there? :dontknow:

dpetrick
05-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Good to hear that the trip is done and you are starting the process of getting settled in you new location.

safecracker
05-20-2019, 09:10 PM
Enjoyed your write up. Congrats on your new adventure. Bruce

Bob Denman
05-21-2019, 06:39 AM
:congrats: and Welcome Home! :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

(I waited to post this, because I didn't want it stuck in your head for the entire trip... :shocked:)

ARtraveler
05-21-2019, 09:44 AM
:congrats: and Welcome Home! :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

(I waited to post this, because I didn't want it stuck in your head for the entire trip... :shocked:)

Thanks for waiting. You got us covered. :bowdown:

ARtraveler
05-21-2019, 09:46 AM
:congrats: Now :nopic: You know you hafta provide pics to show us all it really happened! ;)

Enjoy your unwinding, but having said that, when do the Spyders get there? :dontknow:

Spyders were packed in the moving van with the household goods. We will see how that works out. :roflblack: PS: I have full coverage from the auto insurers...so am not to concerned.

bscofield84
05-21-2019, 12:56 PM
Glad you had a successful trip to Arkansas. Get rested up, lots of unpacking to do. Hope you packed the Spyders on the tail end of the truck and not in the front! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

UtahPete
05-21-2019, 12:58 PM
How is the weather now you've arrived in Arkansas?

ARtraveler
05-21-2019, 04:12 PM
How is the weather now you've arrived in Arkansas?

High 70's...78 yesterday. Very humid and different from the AK climate (was in the 40's and 50's the week we left).

All kinds of tornado warnings in our area since Sunday. We had a warning for our town about 2:00 PM today. Skies looked very threatening, but then calmed down. Wind picking up again.

Bob Denman
05-21-2019, 05:11 PM
Have you gotten yourself sorted out with the time zone changes?

sandeejs
05-21-2019, 05:58 PM
Glad you arrived safe and sound. Hope things go well for you here, in the lower 48.
~Sandee~

ARtraveler
05-21-2019, 06:49 PM
Have you gotten yourself sorted out with the time zone changes?

Yes we have. Actually, an easy transition.

LeftCoast
05-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Welcome home AR! I guess you can keep the AR part now that it’s legit! :clap:

beef56
05-25-2019, 08:00 AM
Sorry to hijack your post. I would like to travel to Alaska when I retire. Planned to take our dually and haul a Spyder, hoping to camp most of the time. We planned to unload the Spyder and tour on it. My question is how much opportunity is there to ride there? We have been up the Parks Highway but don't know how much other asphalt there is to ride on!