PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed this homelink garage door remote?

campermac
05-10-2019, 07:13 PM
I am looking for anyone that has any information on installing this homelink garage door opener

https://www.amazon.com/Polaris-Ranger-Remote-Homelink-2882082/dp/B01KMBGX1G

I am looking to see if it will fit in the center blank hole on a 2015 RTL.
I currently have a USB outlet mounted there but would really like to mount the homelink opener

Thank for the help

campermac
05-10-2019, 07:14 PM
I am looking for anyone that has any information on installing this homelink garage door opener

I currently have a USB outlet mounted there but would really like to mount the homelink opener

Thank for the help

RICZ
05-10-2019, 07:50 PM
I have a concern with vehicle mounted garage door openers - steal the vehicle and the garage door can be opened. Call me paranoid, but I put a phony address that's around the corner in my phone & GPS for HOME. If anyone gets hold of it, they get waylayed away from my home.
To salve my paranoia when on the Spyder, I carry a mini remote (that was supplied by the door installer) in my jacket pocket. It serves the same purpose as a built in one - I don't have to get off the bike to close or open the garage door.

Bensonoid
05-10-2019, 07:55 PM
:popcorn:

donhy
05-10-2019, 08:04 PM
If you have your smartphone mounted on your bike just get a wifi link for your garage door opener and open garage door with your phone

Ibified
05-10-2019, 08:05 PM
I made my own for all my previous bikes. I just took a standard keychain remote and took the case off, then desoldered the button and attached 2 wires, then pulled the battery and soldered two wires onto that, added a voltage regulator, and tied to the bike battery. Front there I mounted a waterproof momentary switch under my tank and tied the wires from the button to it.

cueman
05-10-2019, 08:50 PM
If you have your smartphone mounted on your bike just get a wifi link for your garage door opener and open garage door with your phone
How would one, that is not a high technology guy, go about this? :helpsmilie: cueman

DGoebel
05-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Ibified, Easy as screwing in a light bulb, :gaah: or a RT left foglight...:banghead: Just kidding, your idea sounds easy enough.

Ibified
05-10-2019, 09:35 PM
I'll try to find my writeup on it on the bike board I posted it on. If you can solder, you can do it. If you can't solder, you can send it to me along with the button you want to use and tell me how long you want your wire from the opener to the button to be and I'll solder it for you and send it back. Not a big deal.

donhy
05-10-2019, 09:51 PM
How would one, that is not a high technology guy, go about this? :helpsmilie: cueman
You basically buy this hub for $79 and as long as you have wifi that reaches your garage the rest is easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-MYQ-G0301/dp/B075H7Z5L8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=chamberlain+myq&qid=1557542881&s=gateway&sprefix=chamber&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

It's pretty neat, you can open/close garage door from anywhere in the world, you can also setup alerts so that if your wife leaves garage door open you get notified by email or app notification

angtlalaska
05-10-2019, 11:35 PM
I would think that the switch should fit the only question will be what power cable works best with the Spyder. With respect to someone stealing the Spyder then going to your house to rob it. I installed a keypad dead bolt on the door from the garage to the house. Whenever I am gone for awhile I lock this door. Then of course if they break down this door with the dead bolt they better know the alarm code because the door from the garage to the house is also on the central alarm.

I hope someone has an answer because I plan on installing the Homelink switch on my new to me 2014 ST Spyder when I pick it up in two weeks.

Thank for the help

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-11-2019, 01:15 AM

Thank for the help

I think it might be too deep to fit. It's a tight squeeze under the switch group. Did you cut out the center hole to mount the USB? The original hole is about 3/4" round.

PW2013STL
05-11-2019, 06:16 AM
This will not fit do to how deep it is. You have about 2" to work with on your Spyder and this is just short of 3" deep.
I installed a Modoor opener with touchpad and it was easy to find a convenient spot on our Spyder to stick that pad.

KyBill
05-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Its probably a very very low risk that someone would both steal your Spyder, then ride that same stolen Spyder to your home to rob you. How would they even know what one more button on the Spyder is used for? Just label it “Lojack” and they’ll never touch it.

Kidding aside, on my other bike I bought a spare remote and ordered an acc button from the manufacturer of my bike, then mounted both in the console next to an identical button. Cut and soldered into the wiring on the remote and everything was integrated.

I did it slightly different from the other poster in that I was too lazy to wire it to my battery. Still going strong on the duracell 2 years later, 2 screws to lift the console and change batteries.

Good luck whichever route you go.

McClendons
05-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Mo-Door has a motorcycle opener, and they offer a variety of switches including one that matches perfectly the existing Can Am switches. You can choose between 1 or 2 "way" switches, so 1 or 2 doors. Put on mine and it works like a charm.

http://www.mo-door.com/Can-Am_Spyder_Toggle_Switch.html

McClendons
05-11-2019, 08:52 AM
I should have added, the switch with the mo-door is rectangular, the center of the Can Am panel is a smaller round hole. Yours has likely been trimmed already, given the USB port that is there, but if not you will need to trim the switch panel to the correct shape. Not hard to do.

Motorcycledave
05-11-2019, 01:18 PM
Hi Dave here, NOTE: this is only my opinion, It would be a cold day in hell
before I spend $159.95 for a garage door opener, you have one or two
that came with your door opener, you can pop open the cover and with a test
light find the place the push button it connected to, attach 2 wires to that area with
a soldering iron and go to Auto Zone and get a small mini push button and hide it
in an area that is easy to get to while you are riding and put the cover back on the
garage opener that you have and hide it behind your dash or glove box or ??? run the
two wires to the push button and its done cost about $2.00 and a little time. the battery
usually 9volt in the remote opener will last about 1 year. You will find several videos
on you Tube on doing this, it is easy and works great.
Ride Safe
Dave

Thank for the help

Lew L
05-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Hi Dave here, NOTE: this is only my opinion, It would be a cold day in hell
before I spend $159.95 for a garage door opener, you have one or two
that came with your door opener, you can pop open the cover and with a test
light find the place the push button it connected to, attach 2 wires to that area with
a soldering iron and go to Auto Zone and get a small mini push button and hide it
in an area that is easy to get to while you are riding and put the cover back on the
garage opener that you have and hide it behind your dash or glove box or ??? run the
two wires to the push button and its done cost about $2.00 and a little time. the battery
usually 9volt in the remote opener will last about 1 year. You will find several videos
on you Tube on doing this, it is easy and works great.
Ride Safe
Dave

Not my opinion-----

I knew I had an extra garage door remote and a momentary switch, a soldering pencil, and some wire. Hardest part is fishing the wire but it's all done in two hours ( including lunch nojoke ) No more diging around in my pocket --- just push an inconspicious, tiny switch on the dash and like magic-----the garage door opens --- just like the cars.

Plenty of room under the headlight for the remote and easy to get when replacing the battery.

No cost currently--- well, I did put in a new 9v battery.

Every :spyder2: owner should do this simple mod--- I don't know why it took me so long. Now to do the same thing for my V-Max as I have another remote and switch.

campermac
05-11-2019, 05:46 PM
McClendons:

Where did you mount the transmitter and how long of a cable did you order for it?

Lew L
05-11-2019, 10:49 PM
I knew I had an extra garage door remote and a momentary switch, a soldering pencil, and some wire. Hardest part is fishing the wire but it's all done in two hours ( including lunch nojoke ) No more diging around in my pocket --- just push an inconspicious, tiny switch on the dash and like magic-----the garage door opens --- just like the cars.

Plenty of room under the headlight for the remote and easy to get when replacing the battery.

No cost currently--- well, I did put in a new 9v battery.

Every :spyder2: owner should do this simple mod--- I don't know why it took me so long. Now to do the same thing for my V-Max as I have another remote and switch.

Well why didnt I do this years ago------ Just too easy 45 min. at the most. Again--- no cost.

DGoebel
05-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Having an RT, I just velcro'd one of the normal small Garage door openers under the Safety Card above the dash, it's hardly visible unless you're looking for it.

Lew L
05-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Having an RT, I just velcro'd one of the normal small Garage door openers under the Safety Card above the dash, it's hardly visible unless you're looking for it.

I thought about velcro for a few moments---- just don't trust it to hold up over the bumps and pot holes in our fine and well maintained roads.nojoke

McClendons
05-12-2019, 10:17 AM
McClendons:

Where did you mount the transmitter and how long of a cable did you order for it?

I put the transmitter off to the riders left, under the little triangular cover that shows when the Trunk is open. It is the side OPPOSITE where the BUDS cable is. There is a good bit of room under the cover, I also put a fuse block in the same location. Makes it very easy to get short cables up to the handlebar and switch panel areas.
I did not order a special length cable, if you order the one with the CAN Am switch it was plenty long for that install. Also would be very easy to splice in additional wire of longer is needed.

Motorcycle Dave is exactly right with modifying one, very easy to do. That said, for my case I would have had to buy a remote transmitter and wanted the Can Am momentary switch. If I bought those it would have been in the ballpark of the mo-door. I'd had there mo-doors, and they have all been excellent with very good range. If I had a spare transmitter, I might have gone the custom approach but would have still wanted the Can Am Switch --- so likely about 1/3 the price

Jetfixer
05-12-2019, 05:26 PM
I made my own for my 2015 RTL. Go to any used auto parts emporium, (junkyard), and get the Homelink module from a car that has one in the drivers sun visor. They usually have 3 buttons. It will have 2 wires, power and ground. Take it home and hook the power and ground to a 9V battery. Then program it to your garage door opener. (I used the middle button.) Then use a plastic tie-wrap to permanently hold that button down. The switches used in our bikes are made by Carling, and are the Carling Contura style. I used a model that has Off, On, Momentary, since I have another use for it also. If all you want is a door opener, get one that is a Momentary switch only. Mount the Homelink module out of sight somewhere. Connect the ground wire to ground, and the 12V+ wire to the momentary contact of your switch. Run a wire from the switch to your fusebox to the aux unused position. When you press the momentary switch, the 12V will go through the Homelink module. Since the button is already held down by the tie-wrap, your garage door will open!

McClendons
05-13-2019, 07:42 AM
I put the transmitter off to the riders left, under the little triangular cover that shows when the Trunk is open. It is the side OPPOSITE where the BUDS cable is. There is a good bit of room under the cover, I also put a fuse block in the same location. Makes it very easy to get short cables up to the handlebar and switch panel areas.
I did not order a special length cable, if you order the one with the CAN Am switch it was plenty long for that install. Also would be very easy to splice in additional wire of longer is needed.

Was asked for more detail through message, I placed mine under the cover in the picture. Plenty of room.

Lew L
05-13-2019, 09:54 AM
Was asked for more detail through message, I placed mine under the cover in the picture. Plenty of room.

I put mine there also, plenty of room and easy wire fishing.

Jim&Teresa
05-13-2019, 11:33 AM
I had installed an AutoSwitch Motorcycle Garage Door Remote Activator AS-7G (got it on ebay). Installed on our 2014 RT Limited when it was relatively new -- installed in July 2014. It has worked well and wires into the bike. I wired this to my fog lamp switch (as the trigger toggle) and when I reach near the garage door, I just toggle the fog light switch and it allows the transmitter to open the door. Works well, but limited range. You need to get close to the garage door. Also, it took some time to wire it in. I like that it is invisible on the bike (tucked under the tupperware) and uses an existing toggle switch to trigger the garage door opening..... It was around $30. I don't know if I would spend that much time on putting one in again....On our Goldwing, I just used double stick tape and put a small garage transmitter in my side case...much easier and lower costs!!

tnhoover
05-13-2019, 11:52 AM
If you navigate to home on my GPS you end up at the local Police Barracks.

Tyris
05-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Mine is velcro'ed to the underside of my glovebox, no one ones it's there except for me and, well, all of you now, damn!!!

SpyderChris
05-13-2019, 03:59 PM
+1 for keychain remote and velcro

campermac
05-13-2019, 06:21 PM
thanks for that info

nhoj
05-14-2019, 09:44 AM
If you navigate to home on my GPS you end up at the local Police Barracks.

That is actually a recommended personal security item.... never have an accurate 'home' waypoint programmed on your GPS. Also suggested to prevent track history storage as well.

'Home' on my GPS takes you to the middle of a Lake.

CrashDavis
05-14-2019, 10:55 AM

Mine is apart right now putting in stuff. I agree there is room under there but what did you mount the fuse block and the MoDoor to?

McClendons
05-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Mine is apart right now putting in stuff. I agree there is room under there but what did you mount the fuse block and the MoDoor to?

For the garage remote, I mounted with two sides tape since only need access every couple of years (or more, have never replaced a battery in one). If I recall, I stuck it to the outside (bottom side) edge of the glovebox.

For the fuse block, I found that there is an area under the edge of the windshield that my fuse back slid into. I slid it in, then used 1 zip tie to secure it. Not a beautiful install, but does not move and very easy to remove if I need to add a circuit.

Sorry I do not have pictures.

Dawn
07-31-2019, 11:01 AM
OK, if this is the wireless one that has the 10 year non replaceable battery I can chime in with my experiences with my 2018 RT Limited.
1. it will not fit in the center spot, that has a round hole not rectangular
2. it will be slightly too deep and bottoms out.
3. it will snap into the rectangular cut-out (with depth modification)

Now let me start off by saying, mine was given to me, so I had zero money invested or lost if I ruined it.

What I did initially, was just add a ring of foam sticky weatherstripping to the opening and leave it sticking up and not snapped down. But I didn't like the cobbled together look and knew it was "this close" to fitting, so I decided to take my chances and modify it. I won't know until later down the road if this works or shorts out in the rain, but I removed the plastic housing around the bottom and added a single layer of duct tape just to keep everything tucked together. I was trying to just shave off the bottom plastic so it would fit for depth, but the sides broke off too, so I made the best of it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]174503

I think if you are handy and get the wired version and add it to your cluster it will fit better since the battery pack of the wireless adds quite a bit of depth.

So, at the moment mine is in, snapped down and works perfectly and looks nice. BUT, not sure long term if I breached the water proofing by cutting off the plastic.

JayBros
07-31-2019, 02:16 PM
I Velcroed an opener to the inside rear wall of the glove box; has worked fine ever since I bought the Spyder.

ladygadget
08-01-2019, 12:10 AM
I have a mini opener for our garage door. I keep it in my rider jacket pocket and just press as I'm coming into the driveway.