PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Spyderfest - after 10 years, they've pulled the plug!

wd8ajj
05-09-2019, 09:58 PM
If all have not yet heard, Spyderfest is done. After 10 years and good ones at that, they've pulled the plug. It will all be missed - other than the tornado's that seem to go with the event! :banghead:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-10-2019, 12:21 AM
If all not heard, Spyderfest is done. After 10 years and good ones they pulled the plug. It will be missed. Other than the tornado's that seem to go with the event!:banghead:

I posted this days ago …. Yes Spyderfest as we knew it is gone ….. however a different FORMAT is in the works …. you will likely only hear about on FaceBook tho ….. Mike :ohyea:

LifeLongRider
05-10-2019, 07:01 AM
…. you will likely only hear about on FaceBook tho ….. Mike :ohyea:

There are still those of us who refuse to use "social media" for a variety of reasons . . . .

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-10-2019, 08:00 AM
There are still those of us who refuse to use "social media" for a variety of reasons . . . .

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm one of them …… my reference to posting about Spyderlovers was …….. I Posted It on Spyderlovers.com ….. Mike :ohyea:

easysuper
05-10-2019, 08:42 AM

I'm not one to usually split hairs, but as soon as one post on Spyderlovers one has "Used" social media .

ARtraveler
05-10-2019, 10:38 AM
Let's hope the Spyderfest people don't shoot themselves in the foot by going away from Spyderlovers.

They do get a lot of action from the people here.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Let's hope the Spyderfest people don't shoot themselves in the foot by going away from Spyderlovers.

I'm not so sure about that ….( and not happy either )….. in 2018 from Jan 1 to April 15 - I'm guessing there were 500 plus posts …… in 2019 from Jan. 1 to April 15 maybe 10 posts…… annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there has been a dramatic exodus of the long - time Original Posters here ……. jmho …. Mike :ohyea:

ARtraveler
05-10-2019, 10:46 AM
I'm not so sure about that ….( and not happy either )….. in 2018 from Jan 1 to April 15 - I'm guessing there were 500 plus posts …… in 2019 from Jan. 1 to April 15 maybe 10 posts…… annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there has been a dramatic exodus of the long - time Original Posters here ……. jmho …. Mike :ohyea:

What you are saying does have some merit "numbers wise." However, I look everyday as to who is on site. I am seeing a lot of long ago posters returning to look. I saw Dudley and Flamingobabe on line yesterday.

missouriboy
05-10-2019, 08:53 PM
I'm not one to usually split hairs, but as soon as one post on Spyderlovers one has "Used" social media .Well, here's another opinion on that.Spyderlovers forum is for people to talk about Spyders. Social media (Facebook) is for people to talk about themselves.

FalconAF
05-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Well, here's another opinion on that.Spyderlovers forum is for people to talk about Spyders. Social media (Facebook) is for people to talk about themselves.

Don't kid yourself. Social media is social media. Doesn't matter what the "group" is talking about. Whether someone refuses to use it or not is up to the "variety of reasons" that LifeLongRider said. If you are worried about security, you are just as vulnerable here (on THIS social media forum) as you are on Facebook. When was the last time you posted here that you would be "going on a ride" somewhere? And for how long? You just told the entire world (anyone who could come to this site and read your post) that your house will (or could) be empty for a safe break-in. Happens all the time. And guess what? I did professional Computer Security for over 25 years. I could (if I wanted to) get your personal IP address simply by coming to this site and running a free downloaded program from the Internet. Once I have your IP address, I'm only one or two other steps away from your Social Security number, your bank account numbers, and if you are really careless (which most home computer users are)...most of your passwords too. But don't worry about me. I'm one of the "good guys". :2thumbs:

Elembytes
05-11-2019, 06:24 PM

I also hope that what ever comes along to replace SpyderFest that the powers to be, realize that a lot of us DO NOT believe nor do we use SOCIAL MEDIA, and I hope they realize the importance of Spyderlovers and use it as well to convey information. We need it.

I was going to add too that when Spyderfest got split up between Springfield and Bolivar, people didn’t like being split up and miles in between locations. Now they also have Joplin. Anyway, what ever comes in the future. I hope it will be as good and fun as Spyderfest has been for the 6 years we got to go.

I am looking at the Spyders in the Ozark even now though. We will see. I am contemplating retirement now so will see. Money may be a big issue.