PDA

View Full Version : Mileage issue revisited yet again...

bone crusher
06-28-2009, 08:52 AM
So,

I'm out for a 100+ mile ride yesterday with a buddy...might I add he has a really sweet Road King...

Anyway, we were on lots of twisty roads that required slower speeds (tons of super-sharp turns)...

Needless to say, I got the best mileage ever, for me...just under 35mpg.

It made me realize just how aggressive I am with the throttle otherwise...

I have a hindle and a green filter...no JB yet.

I think it's safe to say that if you keep the tach low, you are going to see significantly better mileage...if you ride the bike hard, you're gonna lose 4-5 mpg easily!

On the highway, my tach reads about 5500 at highway speeds...yesterday, I was sticking to no more than 4200 for most of the day...

What a difference!

Bimjo
06-28-2009, 09:24 AM
BRP taking out 6th gear for a reverse was a tactical blunder IMO. Could have done reverse several different ways that didn't take removing a gear & gas mileage would have been a bit more reasonable than it is.

But it is what it is. I'll be curious to see what the new model looks like tranny-wise when it hits the streets.

AMTJIM
06-28-2009, 10:08 AM
My TL has 6th, I am not use to that yet. It's very nice running 4250 rpms at 75.

dltang
07-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Since you are revisiting mileage, here is an observation we found while on our trek to LA and back. Both Brian and I noticed we got better mileage at higher altitudes. Lamont mentioned this as well as two friends of out from MI that are traveling on from LA up to Alaska. So we know it isn't our imagination, others have verified this as well. I got up to 36mpg while pulling my trailer at one point. Averaged between 34-36 all the way through the mountain states. Funny thing is, as soon as we hit flat land and back in MI, we are right back to 30 mpg. Now there were a couple of times we had some very poor mileage, it may have something to do with those long wide open stretches of road that we went 95 mph consistently. That really sucked down the gas. Overall, if we traveled between 70-85 mph steady in the upper altitudes, we did very well.

bone crusher
07-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Since you are revisiting mileage, here is an observation we found while on our trek to LA and back. Both Brian and I noticed we got better mileage at higher altitudes. Lamont mentioned this as well as two friends of out from MI that are traveling on from LA up to Alaska. So we know it isn't our imagination, others have verified this as well. I got up to 36mpg while pulling my trailer at one point. Averaged between 34-36 all the way through the mountain states. Funny thing is, as soon as we hit flat land and back in MI, we are right back to 30 mpg. Now there were a couple of times we had some very poor mileage, it may have something to do with those long wide open stretches of road that we went 95 mph consistently. That really sucked down the gas. Overall, if we traveled between 70-85 mph steady in the upper altitudes, we did very well.

Do you have juice box going, like Lamonster? I just ordered one...also, no question that high altitudes will give you better mileage...that's how they can get away with 85 ocatane gas as well! However, don't trying running long distance...you'll feel the effects! :shocked:

I find that if you keep the RPMs in the 4000s, you'll get about 5mpg better than at high speeds/5000rpms...

Those who say to run the bike in the 5000s and 6000s are NOT going to get good mileage, and as far as performance goes, sure, max. HP might be at 6000k rpm, but I don't need max. HP too often so there's no need to run the bike that hard...

AMTJIM
07-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Higher altitude, less oxygen...fuel leaned out so engine doesn't run rich. Aircraft really experience this, when I was working GA...pilots would comment on it all the time.

dltang
07-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Do you have juice box going, like Lamonster? I just ordered one...also, no question that high altitudes will give you better mileage...that's how they can get away with 85 ocatane gas as well! However, don't trying running long distance...you'll feel the effects! :shocked:

I find that if you keep the RPMs in the 4000s, you'll get about 5mpg better than at high speeds/5000rpms...

Those who say to run the bike in the 5000s and 6000s are NOT going to get good mileage, and as far as performance goes, sure, max. HP might be at 6000k rpm, but I don't need max. HP too often so there's no need to run the bike that hard...
No Juice box here. Also on a side note, I did an experiment on a tank of fuel, it was only one tank mind you but I was interested in the results. I ran a whole tank and kept the RPMS at between 5000-6000 consistently. You know what, no difference in my gas mileage, it wasn't better and it wasn't worse, just the same ole 30 mpg.

bone crusher
07-03-2009, 08:34 PM
No Juice box here. Also on a side note, I did an experiment on a tank of fuel, it was only one tank mind you but I was interested in the results. I ran a whole tank and kept the RPMS at between 5000-6000 consistently. You know what, no difference in my gas mileage, it wasn't better and it wasn't worse, just the same ole 30 mpg.

I would test that further. Higher RPM means that the engine is working more to get those revolutions. I don't know if anyone can explain how more work, meaning more fuel and more O2 doesn't leader to poorer mileage...

I saw a HUGE difference with 'conservative' ryding...I went from 30 to about 35mpg...

I'm curious to see what performance changes and any mileage tweaks I'll get with the JB...

Star Cruiser
07-03-2009, 11:22 PM
I think the key is to be s-m-o-o-t-h. My average mileage is 38 miles per US gallon for 7,500 miles. I keep the revs up and the best mileage (40 - 41mpg) over 350 miles between Toronto and Montreal. I averaged about 120 - 130 kph, (75 - 80 mph). I kept a pretty consistant speed. I am seldom under 4,000rpm. It works for me anyway. :clap:

retread
07-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I think the key is to be s-m-o-o-t-h. My average mileage is 38 miles per US gallon for 7,500 miles. I keep the revs up and the best mileage (40 - 41mpg) over 350 miles between Toronto and Montreal. I averaged about 120 - 130 kph, (75 - 80 mph). I kept a pretty consistant speed. I am seldom under 4,000rpm. It works for me anyway. :clap:
Are you talking Imperial gallons? Whoops, just reread your post, sorry:opps:.
Some friends and I rode our Spyders to Black Mountain, NC, Memorial Day weekend, 70 to 75 mph for trip, 34 to 35 mpg. Best I've ever gotten was 36, but I tend to play a lot.;)

john

aka1004
07-04-2009, 11:45 PM
i think i am gonna cry...
i got 77 miles out of 2.5 gallon today. this is the first time ever i got more than 30 mpg at any speed or condition.
i am usually in low 20 range.

bone crusher
07-04-2009, 11:52 PM

What's your altitude? I don't see how it's possible to get even close to 40 mpg no matter what you do...at least at sea level.

If you are at 5500 rpm at 75 mph, then you're not gonna get great mileage unless you somehow tweak the machine...

Smooth doesn't matter if you're running the engine hard...

bone crusher
07-04-2009, 11:57 PM
i think i am gonna cry...
i got 77 miles out of 2.5 gallon today. this is the first time ever i got more than 30 mpg at any speed or condition.
i am usually in low 20 range.

Don't cry...

I used to get 26mpg until I really began to ride the bike 'properly.'....I'm not one to ride the bike like my hybrid...it's too much fun to just barely use the throttle.

I now get at or around 30 and figure this is about right...

I got about 35 on my last longer ride, but that was due to 'calm' riding, at lower rpms...it's obvious that if you ride slow and do not hammer the throttle, you'll do a heck of a lot better.

Someone is going to have a hard time convincing me that higher rpms correlates to better mpg...if you think about it, higher rpms means the engine is working harder...this doesn't lead to better mileage...

If I ride on the highway at 60 mph vs. 75, I'll get about 3 mpg better...reason why???, my engine is working a lot less...

If you're up around 30, you're where most of us are...

aka1004
07-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Don't cry...

I used to get 26mpg until I really began to ride the bike 'properly.'....I'm not one to ride the bike like my hybrid...it's too much fun to just barely use the throttle.

I now get at or around 30 and figure this is about right...

I got about 35 on my last longer ride, but that was due to 'calm' riding, at lower rpms...it's obvious that if you ride slow and do not hammer the throttle, you'll do a heck of a lot better.

Someone is going to have a hard time convincing me that higher rpms correlates to better mpg...if you think about it, higher rpms means the engine is working harder...this doesn't lead to better mileage...

If I ride on the highway at 60 mph vs. 75, I'll get about 3 mpg better...reason why???, my engine is working a lot less...

If you're up around 30, you're where most of us are...

i been getting 18- 29 mpg and that is just too much fluctuation.
if i was getting 18 mpg every time,brp can say i just ryde too hard (i do) and have too much aftermarket stuff but not when it goes up that much at times.

just 2 tanks ago i was getting just below 20 mpg and last tank i got 26 now this partial tank i get 30 mpg :dontknow:

NancysToy
07-05-2009, 06:03 AM
If you ride 60 vs. 75 on the highway, you get worse mileage because of the drag. The drag coefficient increases as a result of the square of the speed, not linearly. As a result, it takes four times as much horsepower to go twice as fast. Power eats gas. It takes a bit over 1.5 times as much horsepower to go 75 than it does to go 60. As a result, it is important to be in the proper part of the horsepower curve. If that curve is sharp instead of fairly flat or uniformly sloped, you could indeed get better mileage in a lower gear. Otherwise, it is related to the rpm, but not directly, as you may think.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

bone crusher
07-05-2009, 10:18 AM
If you ride 60 vs. 75 on the highway, you get worse mileage because of the drag. The drag coefficient increases as a result of the square of the speed, not linearly. As a result, it takes four times as much horsepower to go twice as fast. Power eats gas. It takes a bit over 1.5 times as much horsepower to go 75 than it does to go 60. As a result, it is important to be in the proper part of the horsepower curve. If that curve is sharp instead of fairly flat or uniformly sloped, you could indeed get better mileage in a lower gear. Otherwise, it is related to the rpm, but not directly, as you may think.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Scotty,

I love your explanations...I look at it as increased engine output due to rpms going up...you explain the entire physics...either way, we drop our mileage! :(:(

zeebill
07-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't give a hoot how I ride or where I ride it stays right around 30.6 MPG and hammering it has little effect. Experimentling with a tank of high test right now to see how that effects MPG and roadability. So far it looks about the same and feels about the same. My buddies hopped up Harley will blow any Spyder away and gets in the 40's MPG wise. Any vehicle loses MPG the faster it goes regardless of gearing because sooner or later you reach a point where aerodynamic drag takes over. Run 60 in my truck and I get 25 or so, run 75 I get 22 or so. Just like clockwork nothing changes it at all. The frontal area of two wheels on the spyder helps nothing in the gas mileage vein for sure but she sure is stable at higher speeds though. Bill

DynamoBT
07-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Got 35mpg today intentionally not running in 3rd gear so much. If I went 40mph I was in 4th. If I hit 50mph I was in 5th. Shifting at less than 4000rpm.

I honestly like riding the Spyder at higher revs because it is so easy to modulate speed just by rolling off the throttle a bit. Your left hand and foot are busy shifting at lower rpm. I only rode like this today just to see how high I could get my mileage.

spyderleg
07-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I have experienced the same... Even added the Hindle which was supposed to help mpg's. Trip on Friday with my wife covering 189 miles net 33.333 mpg. That is about he best I have ever seen. It is what it is will continue to fill er up and burn.:2thumbs:

bone crusher
07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
I have experienced the same... Even added the Hindle which was supposed to help mpg's. Trip on Friday with my wife covering 189 miles net 33.333 mpg. That is about he best I have ever seen. It is what it is will continue to fill er up and burn.:2thumbs:

33.3 is fine mileage...

I think we also have to look at weight and body form as well. I'm a rather athletic 6'1", 235 pounds, and I know I'm creating some nice drag when on the bike...

spyder1969
07-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Let's not forget about that corn stuff and whatever else our gubmint like to put in our fuel for the feel good effect! Does Canada do that; doubt it. Note that the Californians get lower mpg; hmmmmmm.:dontknow:

bone crusher
07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Let's not forget about that corn stuff and whatever else our gubmint like to put in our fuel for the feel good effect! Does Canada do that; doubt it. Note that the Californians get lower mpg; hmmmmmm.:dontknow:

True...ethanol is less efficient and does produce environmental problems...burning anything carbon-based is a problem...burning sugar or corn is nice, but it's still feeding an internal combustion engine, and by doing so, it's gonna have issues...