PDA

View Full Version : Baja Ron sway bar install

rdkarl
05-08-2019, 09:41 AM
Rented some aluminum 8' loading ramps from Home Depot for $17.00 for up to 4 hours. Put the ramps on the bumper of a pickup. I first tried ramps on the tailgate, but the ramps kept sliding forward when trying to ride the Spyder onto the ramps. On the bumper they didn't move. Ran it up the ramps and got 23" of height for sway bar removal with plenty of room left between the front of the spyder and the tailgate of the truck. Left it in 1st gear, put on the parking brake, and chocked the rear wheel. Made the change, with no problems. One note of caution. When coming down off of the ramps, after starting the Spyder and putting it in neutral, and taking off the parking brake, be very careful applying any brake. I let it roll down the ramps a few inches, and put on the brakes. This caused the ramps to move backwards slightly off of the bumper. :yikes: Better off just letting it roll all of the way off with no brake.

Chupaca
05-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Don't know the model you have but if it is an SE puting it in 1st gear will not help if the park brake is not used best block the rear tire as well . Have seen others use this method as well but the ramps make it cleaner and the price is right. Now to enjoy the new ryde... :clap:

Bob204bc
05-08-2019, 09:55 AM
What a great idea! I have been trying to find a solution for the lift height. Thanks!

BajaRon
05-08-2019, 10:06 AM
A very inventive group. From man hole covers to stairways to the basement in the garage. There have been some pretty interesting approaches to getting the height needed to do this job.:thumbup:

rdkarl
05-08-2019, 01:06 PM
A very inventive group. From man hole covers to stairways to the basement in the garage. There have been some pretty interesting approaches to getting the height needed to do this job.:thumbup:

I considered the man hole cover as there is one right in front of my house for the rain run off on the street. Being here in Fl. though, no telling what is living in there. I chickened out and rented the ramps.

canamjhb
05-08-2019, 01:17 PM

It's your fault. DIY guys need to think outside the box in order to gain the advantage your bar provides :2thumbs:..... Jim

donhy
05-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Brilliant

BajaRon
05-08-2019, 03:46 PM
I considered the man hole cover as there is one right in front of my house for the rain run off on the street. Being here in Fl. though, no telling what is living in there. I chickened out and rented the ramps.

A wise choice!

So far, no one has attempted this approach. And if you do... Please! I don't want to know about it! :yikes:

RTSJohn
05-08-2019, 04:02 PM
:agree:

AY4B
05-08-2019, 06:32 PM
I have done it this way on 3 spyders. I put the ramps on the tailgate though. Tie it off with straps for safety because it will want to drift back down.

Peter Aawen
05-08-2019, 07:24 PM
A wise choice!

So far, no one has attempted this approach. And if you do... Please! I don't want to know about it! :yikes:

Dunno what you're worried about? :dontknow: He's only got a small leak in the gas tank to weld up, and by leaning it that way all the gas left in the tank settled onto the downhill side & stopped running outta the leak..... :yikes:

:joke::joke::joke:

Kiddies, please don't try this at home! :thumbup: Severe injuries are likely to occur. :shocked:

Everyone else, please heed the Warning below

WARNING ******* DO NOT WELD GAS TANKS UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN ADEQUATELY VENTED & FILLED WITH INERT LIQUID! OR BETTER YET, LEAVE IT TO THE PRO's!!******* WARNING

AbNormy
05-08-2019, 08:28 PM
dang! now they tell me...I did figure out my 14 RTL should NOT have been ridden on a ranch road during a club ride a few weeks ago when I had the side covers off the piece they attach to is cracked every where it attaches those lower pieces to, lucky me that piece is only around $80....but getting the sway bar out was interesting on a harbor freight jack....had my neighbor come supervise in case the bike toppled...

Revalden
05-09-2019, 04:21 PM
The ramp way looks good if you can count on the weather where you live. I can't so I used my motorcycle jack under the front end, put jack stands under the shock mounts, let the jack down and put a cement block across the m/c jack with a 2x6 on top of that. Worked fine.

blacklightning
05-10-2019, 08:18 AM
Wow, that is a great idea. Is the install pretty straight forward after getting it up high enough? I am going to give it a try this year.

BajaRon
05-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Wow, that is a great idea. Is the install pretty straight forward after getting it up high enough? I am going to give it a try this year.

The F3 is the easiest install but the other models aren't all that much more work. Other than getting the height needed to remove and replace the sway bar itself, the install is pretty straight forward. A good number of riders have done this install themselves. And you do not need to have the Spyder raised up high through the entire process. If you're using ramps or a full lift it's fine. But you only need to have the additional height during the few minutes it takes to get the OEM bar out and the BajaRon bar in. Before and after this step the Spyder can be lowered to a much more reasonable height.

If you think you can get the height, it is most likely that you'll find the rest of the process easy enough. It takes the average person about 1.5 hours to do the job, start to finish.

donhy
05-10-2019, 08:46 AM
The F3 is the easiest install but the other models aren't all that much more work. Other than getting the height needed to remove and replace the sway bar itself, the install is pretty straight forward. A good number of riders have done this install themselves. And you do not need to have the Spyder raised up high through the entire process. If you're using ramps or a full lift it's fine. But you only need to have the additional height during the few minutes it takes to get the OEM bar out and the BajaRon bar in. Before and after this step the Spyder can be lowered to a much more reasonable height.

If you think you can get the height, it is most likely that you'll find the rest of the process easy enough. It takes the average person about 1.5 hours to do the job, start to finish.

It is very straight forward on F3 just did mine couple of days ago, your only challenge is raising the spyder up, 22" inches is lot heigher than you think. Ron provides exemplary customer service so you are not alone you can bug him anytime along the process :).

BajaRon
05-10-2019, 10:33 AM
It is very straight forward on F3 just did mine couple of days ago, your only challenge is raising the spyder up, 22" inches is lot heigher than you think. Ron provides exemplary customer service so you are not alone you can bug him anytime along the process :).

OH GREAT! More Phone Calls! Just what I needed! :joke::ohyea::)

But seriously, never a problem to help when I can.