PDA

View Full Version : Belt guard is truly the missing part

starrider60
05-03-2019, 08:37 AM
Just returned from a 1000 mile round trip and took my 2017 RTS in for service. Dealer called and said my belt was torn. Quoted $1000 plus to replace. I authorized the replacement but I also ordered a belt guard from Lamonster. Have 19000 miles on the Spyder. Love the ride. Hate the expense. Oh well living well has its cost :doorag:

Ex-Rocket
05-03-2019, 08:53 AM
That seems high to me. The belt is right around $300.00 and they want $700.00 to install??????:gaah::gaah::gaah: That just sounds way to high.

johnsimion
05-03-2019, 09:06 AM
I don't think you gave enough information to justify your conclusion. When and how did the tear occur? Was the damage provably sudden because you were checking the belt in its entirety every time you ride? Was there a specific incident in which a rock got caught and destroyed the belt? You've ridden 19,000 miles without the belt guard. That's enough miles that the belt might simply be worn out. Or maybe it isn't. Without more information, your argument for a belt guard isn't very convincing.

starrider60
05-03-2019, 09:26 AM
My bad. The $1000 quote was for the total repair - 18000 mile check, oil change and service and the belt and installation. First mistake I ever made :dontknow:

LeftCoast
05-03-2019, 09:31 AM
That sounds more logical to me.

Lew L
05-03-2019, 09:56 AM
The missing belt gurad was the first "farkel" I did on the :spyder2:
Lew L

Little Blue
05-03-2019, 10:03 AM
Just curious on what caused the Belt damage. How much for the labor for belt replacing? ....:thumbup:

Chupaca
05-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Had one for a spell but must of had an installation issue as it got eaten up....I do not go off the beaten path often but have never had a problem with it or without it. Not expensive and does give you extra protection....:thumbup:

RICZ
06-21-2021, 07:34 PM
I dredged up this old thread because it was the first one I found that dealt solely with the MISSING BELT GUARD.
There's a post where you can download the pattern and fashion it out of sheet aluminum. So far, so good. So I made one and went to attach it to my F3L - in no way will it fit! Apparently, the MBG is only for RT models, not F3L or T. Bummer. I'll offer it to local riders.

2dogs
06-21-2021, 10:09 PM
Just installed my aluminum aftermarket inside belt guard. A bit intimidating drilling holes in my swing arm, but it went quite well. I had to remove just a tad of the guard's material to make it fit perfectly. That was because of some sloppy welding on the swing are buy BRP. C-clamped the guard to the swing arm to make it stable for install and used the supplied self-tapping metal screws to complete the install. Walla, one of the easiest installs I've made on my spyder that may become the most valuable one yet. My first rock damaged belt cost me $300+.

Haze
06-21-2021, 10:22 PM
I just install the missing belt guard, from SpyderPops, on my F3T. It was nicely made but difficult to align.
Followed the directions. Didn't like the final positioning so I took (tore) it off and reapplied by eyeball alignment.
Next time I will get the aluminum guard and clamp then bolt it into position.

RICZ
06-21-2021, 10:46 PM
So you have to drill and tap the swing arm? I though the two holes and the notch aligned with something that wasn't on my swingarm, hence my disappointment. Thanks to the previous posts, I will attempt the install again. Finders crossed.
Anyone have photos to share that show where the bolts that hold it are? And what's the square notch for?

2dogs
06-22-2021, 10:51 AM
The aluminum guard I used is pre-drilled with two mounting holes. There are two self-taping screws that drill their own holes as you insert them. The guard is already cut, bent, and matched to fit the swingarm. Actually, the install is straightforward, simple, and easy. Why I didn't install it long ago remains my fault.

RICZ
06-22-2021, 11:46 AM
Photos of the belt guard installed will be greatly appreciated. I don't know which way the bend goes or which way the wide part goes. Anyone?

pegasus1300
06-22-2021, 12:00 PM
I dredged up this old thread because it was the first one I found that dealt solely with the MISSING BELT GUARD.
There's a post where you can download the pattern and fashion it out of sheet aluminum. So far, so good. So I made one and went to attach it to my F3L - in no way will it fit! Apparently, the MBG is only for RT models, not F3L or T. Bummer. I'll offer it to local riders.

Do you remember what that page was that you found the pattern that you made?

RICZ
06-22-2021, 12:46 PM
Do you remember what that page was that you found the pattern that you made?

Here ya go.....
https://www.spyderrt.info/u-do-it

EdMat
06-22-2021, 01:03 PM
The aluminum guard I used is pre-drilled with two mounting holes. There are two self-taping screws that drill their own holes as you insert them. The guard is already cut, bent, and matched to fit the swingarm. Actually, the install is straightforward, simple, and easy. Why I didn't install it long ago remains my fault.

What brand is the guard? Thanks

pegasus1300
06-22-2021, 01:50 PM
Of course I keep forgetting about this page. Good old Inspector Gadget. Thanks for the reminder.

RICZ
06-22-2021, 04:34 PM
Ignore my request for photos, I found some plus a good video on YouTube. Now the shape makes sense.
In fact, I just made one out of aluminum and drilled and tapped the swing arm to mount it with 6mm X 1.0 flange bolts. Before the final install, I painted it flat black to make it invisible.

2dogs
06-22-2021, 09:21 PM
What brand is the guard? Thanks

https://customspyderworks.com/collections/inspector-gadget