PDA

View Full Version : 2019 RT-L with Garmin 590 Nav. No nav audio through speakers.

WingManDan
04-28-2019, 10:45 PM
First post. Just purchased 2019 RT Limited with dealer installed Zumo 590 Navigation. The GPS powers up when I turn the key and it shows maps etc as expected. However, there is no integration with the spyder's speakers. No audio prompts for navigation. If I tap "Volume" on the Zumo screen it says “Audio requires a headset or a powered mount with a speaker”. It's on a powered mount with speakers in the spyder. This should work.

Does the 2019 spyder not support nav audio integration? Hard to believe considering what I paid for this nav unit and ... it's 2019. This is not rocket science. I have looked through the spyder menus and don't see anything about navigation volume. Nothing in the owner's manual either. If this SHOULD work would someone please let me know and I will contact the dealer to fix it.

If this is not supported on the new spyders then that should be made known to potential buyers so that they don't spend a bunch of money on a lame GPS system. I could have just mounted my phone and used Google maps.

SpyderFlyer76
04-29-2019, 05:24 AM
I think I read a previous post that stated the GPS has its “own” separate volume slider within the settings. See if you can dig a little deeper into the menu tree and see if this works. I think the post said by default the slider in question is set pretty low. Also I’d also verify your spyder has the new firmware. Also saw a few posts that states there’s some changes.

Hope that helps

JayBros
04-29-2019, 06:11 AM
SpyderFlyer76 is correct. Call Garmin OEM Product Support, 855-607-2536, and a technician should be able to walk you through the process. I do recall seeing in my 590 instructions that it could not be used in an automobile without a separate audio receiver system, like headphones, but don't know if that applies to a 2019 Spyder. FWIW there are a lot of things you can do with the 590 that do not appear in the user manual.

JKMSPYDER
04-29-2019, 06:56 AM
I bought a Garmin 595 for my F3-S several years ago. I had instructions from the Garmin manual on how to hear audio thru my Sena headset. Those instructions didn’t work so I went to the Sena manual to look up how to get audio. By following the Sena manual I was able to get audio. The point is that you have instructions for the Spyder and instructions for the Garmin. You will have to fiddle with both to see what works.

WingManDan
04-29-2019, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the reply. I can't get into the volume menu on the Zumo because of the “Audio requires a headset or a powered mount with a speaker” screen. There is no where to go from there. The unit doesn't think it is connected to anything so no audio control at all.

I don't have bluetooth helmet headphones so I can't try that method for audio. I just want to hear prompts through the spyder speakers.

Easy Rider
04-29-2019, 08:44 AM
You need to be putting pressure on your DEALER and/or BRP because I think it is highly likely that you paid them to install something that will be NON-FUNCTIONAL.

Now....it might work, sort of, if they had put it on a car mount instead of the Spyder mount because the car mount has it's own little speaker.
But you might not be able to hear that either if you wear a helmet.......or go faster than 30 MPH or so.

If I were you, I would demand a refund and insist that they remove it if they can't get it to work.
Did they give you the "car mount" with the suction cup ?
They should have. That comes with the 590.

WingManDan
04-29-2019, 09:14 AM
The 590 did come with a car mount that has a little speaker in it. I plugged it into my car and the audio worked perfectly through the little speaker. So, the problem is the Spyder. I will contact the dealer.

billybovine
04-29-2019, 10:19 AM
The 2018 and 19 models do not allow for separate GPS audio integration into the onboard audio. Just dedicated power. It was designed with the idea that gps was going to be from your phone and that can be integrated.

The dealer should have explained that to you.

WingManDan
04-29-2019, 01:21 PM
The dealer is now telling me that they will need to run a new wire to the GPS harness and connect to the Aux input on the spyder. So I would not get FM or any other audio if I want to hear the navigation prompts. This is not good.

McClendons
04-29-2019, 03:42 PM
I believe what the dealer is telling you is correct, and agree completely that would be "not good". You would have Aux only, but could load MPs or maybe SIRIUS Radio (not sure if that Garmin supports SIRIUS), but nothing else when getting voice prompts. It would not have been hard for Can Am to include GPS interrupts as on 2017s and earlier, but they wanted to push towards the dash approach.

The best options might be to 1) Return the GPS and go with either Sygic or Genuis through BRP Connect or 2) use a headset, which allows a primary audio stream to be "interrupted" by GPS Nav instructions. I've grown to love headsets, as they provide flexibility and are easier for my old ears to hear.

I would share your frustrations, the only good news is that 20.8 does appear to finally work, so using Sygic or Genuis is a real option.

billybovine
04-29-2019, 03:54 PM
The dealer is correct and that is one option. You can still have tunes that too by having the gps act as a mp3 player. As McClendons said you can pair the gps with a wireless headset if you have one. If you have a smart phone and pay for the compatible gps app. Then you can use the dash as it was intended and the gps will appear on your Spyders screen and the audio out the Spyder speakers.

Ontario is a big place. Which dealer did you buy from?

wiggy1
04-29-2019, 04:02 PM
The Garmin 590 has an 3.5mm audio plug on the wiring harness, which you could interface in the frunk (not sure how your dealer routed the cabling and wired it up for power). However, you can also interface the Garmin 590 via Bluetooth to the bike. My phone interfaces to our 2018 via bluetooth. Granted, I have to plug it in via USB in the frunk to get BRP connect and get maps via the dashboard. Your 2019 has the same capability. We use Bluetooth headsets that connect intercom, phones, and bike. Great option if you want to go that route. Otherwise, you will want to play with the bluetooth settings to connect Garmin to the Bike. I have a 590 on my other bike and will play around with the connection to see if I can provide any additional insight on the connection process and what features are available via this route.

WingManDan
04-29-2019, 04:41 PM
The best options might be to 1) Return the GPS and go with either Sygic or Genuis through BRP Connect or 2) use a headset, which allows a primary audio stream to be "interrupted" by GPS Nav instructions. I've grown to love headsets, as they provide flexibility and are easier for my old ears to hear.

If I keep the GPS (I don't even know if it is returnable) and get a helmet headset how would option 2 work? If I'm connected via bluetooth to the spyder how would the GPS interrupt?

wiggy1
04-29-2019, 04:48 PM
The bluetooth uses priority system. On my Cardo Packtalk headsets it prioritizes phones, GPS, intercom, music and it will interrupt in this order as signals come through. if you are playing the radio from the Spyder through your headset, then when the GPS speaks directions, it will play the GPS directions through the headset and then return to the music.

WingManDan
04-29-2019, 04:48 PM
However, you can also interface the Garmin 590 via Bluetooth to the bike. You will want to play with the bluetooth settings to connect Garmin to the Bike. I have a 590 on my other bike and will play around with the connection to see if I can provide any additional insight on the connection process and what features are available via this route.

I will try that. I didn't know I could bluetooth the Garmin to the bike.

McClendons
04-29-2019, 04:50 PM
The bike has 2 bluetooth connections, a phone and a headset (actually 2 headsets...). Most headset have 2 "phone" connections. For a Sena, you use "Phone 1" to connect to the bike, then "phone 2" to the GPS. Anything that comes across phone 2 when set as GPS will interupt the headset (mute or lower music), then give voice prompts. As soon as prompts are done, the music comes back. Works very well with most headsets. Senas are very popular, I jut switch from Sena to a Cardo Pactalk Bold. If you just want basic sound with voice prompts, the Sena 10 Series is reliable. As you go up in price, more features and better sound quality.

WingManDan
04-29-2019, 04:51 PM
The bluetooth uses priority system. On my Cardo Packtalk headsets it prioritizes phones, GPS, intercom, music and it will interrupt in this order as signals come through. if you are playing the radio from the Spyder through your headset, then when the GPS speaks directions, it will play the GPS directions through the headset and then return to the music.

But the GPS audio is not connected to the Spyder at this point.

wiggy1
04-29-2019, 04:51 PM
The 590 and 595 IMO are the best GPS for the motorcycle. They serve as a media hub as well and you can connect your phone directly to the unit so you can dial (when stopped of course) and have GPS directions when out of cell or intermittent cell range. Though I did find that 95% of the time I am in cell coverage and used Wayze to route through traffic so the 590 has gotten less and less use. It is very glove and user friendly though so it still has a place on my dashboard.

WingManDan
04-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Ontario is a big place. Which dealer did you buy from?

Lockhart's Odyssey. They have been great but they didn't know about this issue.

McClendons
04-29-2019, 04:54 PM
I will try that. I didn't know I could bluetooth the Garmin to the bike.

I believe the challenge will be that the bike will stream Bluetooth, but you will have the same challenges as aux ---you would have to have the bluettoth selected for audio output, so only would work if playing mp3s from the Garmin. Also, not positive the Garmin will pair, there are multiple pairing profiles and think the bike will look for a phone (headsets use phone mode) --- worth try though

Thopper
04-29-2019, 06:45 PM
When using "Genius" are you using cell data after the maps are loaded (purchased)?

billybovine
04-29-2019, 07:09 PM
When using "Genius" are you using cell data after the maps are loaded (purchased)?

No data used. Maps are preloaded onto your phone.

billybovine
04-29-2019, 07:10 PM
Lockhart's Odyssey. They have been great but they didn't know about this issue.

I bought my 18 from them. They will treat you alright.

Thopper
04-29-2019, 08:48 PM
No data used. Maps are preloaded onto your phone.

So I can put genius on a non cell iPad and connect via the drink?
Also can on purchase and load genius on multiple devices?

billybovine
04-30-2019, 08:49 AM
So I can put genius on a non cell iPad and connect via the drink?
Also can on purchase and load genius on multiple devices?

Yes you can put Genius Maps on a non cell ipad and it will function as gps just fine. As long as that tablet has a gps chip. Won't work with BRP Connect because that app cannot be loaded on a tablet.
Yes Genius maps can be put on multiple devices as long as they are on the same user account.

Google Maps can also be run from a non cell tablet and as long as you download a big enough map while still connected to wifi. That can take a few minutes and the map is good for 1 month. It's free.

PS I am assuming that istuff works like android stuff in my answers above.

WingManDan
05-01-2019, 04:44 PM
However, you can also interface the Garmin 590 via Bluetooth to the bike.

I could not get the Spyder Bluetooth to recognize the Garmin 590 so that won't work.

WingManDan
05-01-2019, 04:53 PM
To solve this problem I have decided just to use a helmet headset instead of the speakers in the bike. Disappointing that I need to spend more money to do something that should work on the bike. Anyway, I'm looking at the Cardo Freecom 2 Plus. Does anyone have experience linking the Spyder as well as the Garmin 590 with this headset? Other headset suggestions welcome, also.

Sarge
05-07-2019, 04:28 PM
:yikes:
OK. Just had an issue with the VOLUME of my Garmin Zumo 590 through my Sena 20s. As I messed with my 20s, I found (on YouTube) how to pair my Moto G6 phone first, then the Zumo as a second "Audio Device". So I contacted Sena through the "chat" and the following is what I got ......

Chat started
Kevin joined the chat
Kevin
Hello, I am Kevin, how can I be of assistance for you today?

David
Sena 20s, Motorola Moto G6 and Garmin Zumo 590. I got the phone and the Zumo paired to the 20s just fine, HOWEVER, when the Zumo talks to the 20s, it's at FULL VOLUME! Even after I turn it down, it BLASTS back in at the next instruction. How do I set/control the start-up volumes on both the G6 and the Zumo?

Kevin
That should have resolved it. Since each feature has an independent volume control, if you lower down the volume by rotating the jog wheel counterclockwise while the instructions are on that should lessen the volume of the GPS.
Same goes for your phone when there is an incoming phone call you can rotate the wheel to adjust its volume.
Did you try to lower down the volume on the unit itself?

David
Well, ... It does NOT. Each time the Garmin speaks it BLASTS ME> There is NO seperate volume on the Garmin as it is designed for motorcycles and is controlled by the 20s.
Is ther a way to set a pre-adjusted volume on the 20s?

Kevin
I`m sorry but we have none, did you already update the firmware or perform any resets?

David
Most current on ALL devices.

Kevin
Thank you, then I guess there would be no other option left but to reset it. Have you performed any?

David
will try it later this evening ... Thanks ... Bye!

OK Then, I will have to look into this further. I had found out, as stated earlier in this post, that the Garmin Zumo 590 must be wired to OR bluetooth-ed (?) to a speaker of some sort. You cannot adjust the volume on the Zumo itself. It, somehow, must be adjusted through your phone (?) or somehow on the Sena, which their expert claimed he has no solution. I'll look further into this and post back, hopefully by this weekend.

billybovine
05-07-2019, 05:32 PM
:yikes:
OK. Just had an issue with the VOLUME of my Garmin Zumo 590 through my Sena 20s. As I messed with my 20s, I found (on YouTube) how to pair my Moto G6 phone first, then the Zumo as a second "Audio Device". So I contacted Sena through the "chat" and the following is what I got ......

Chat started
Kevin joined the chat
Kevin
Hello, I am Kevin, how can I be of assistance for you today?

David
Sena 20s, Motorola Moto G6 and Garmin Zumo 590. I got the phone and the Zumo paired to the 20s just fine, HOWEVER, when the Zumo talks to the 20s, it's at FULL VOLUME! Even after I turn it down, it BLASTS back in at the next instruction. How do I set/control the start-up volumes on both the G6 and the Zumo?

Kevin
That should have resolved it. Since each feature has an independent volume control, if you lower down the volume by rotating the jog wheel counterclockwise while the instructions are on that should lessen the volume of the GPS.
Same goes for your phone when there is an incoming phone call you can rotate the wheel to adjust its volume.
Did you try to lower down the volume on the unit itself?

David
Well, ... It does NOT. Each time the Garmin speaks it BLASTS ME> There is NO seperate volume on the Garmin as it is designed for motorcycles and is controlled by the 20s.
Is ther a way to set a pre-adjusted volume on the 20s?

Kevin
I`m sorry but we have none, did you already update the firmware or perform any resets?

David
Most current on ALL devices.

Kevin
Thank you, then I guess there would be no other option left but to reset it. Have you performed any?

David
will try it later this evening ... Thanks ... Bye!

OK Then, I will have to look into this further. I had found out, as stated earlier in this post, that the Garmin Zumo 590 must be wired to OR bluetooth-ed (?) to a speaker of some sort. You cannot adjust the volume on the Zumo itself. It, somehow, must be adjusted through your phone (?) or somehow on the Sena, which their expert claimed he has no solution. I'll look further into this and post back, hopefully by this weekend.

There is no need to shout at us. A normal font size will work just fine.

The Sena rep is correct and you are not doing it right or don't understand. Each device paired to your headset has its own volume level and can adjusted using the jog/dial on the headset. During the voice prompt from the gps adjust the volume to the level you want. Not before or after the prompt, but during the prompt. May need to adjust several times.

Sarge
05-07-2019, 07:25 PM
Just wanted to differentiate my conversation with Sena from this forum. THIS IS SHOUTING. :yikes: Let us not diverse ... On the Garmin Zumo 590, if you touch the "Volume" from the main screen, then touch the wrench (spanner) in the upper left corner, I reduced the "Navigation" volume to 20% and that seems to have done it. I tried switching everything off and back on again and it seems to work.

billybovine
05-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Just wanted to differentiate my conversation with Sena from this forum. THIS IS SHOUTING. :yikes: Let us not diverse ... On the Garmin Zumo 590, if you touch the "Volume" from the main screen, then touch the wrench (spanner) in the upper left corner, I reduced the "Navigation" volume to 20% and that seems to have done it. I tried switching everything off and back on again and it seems to work.

I am not sure you understand based on your answer. When listening to audio from your phone. Adjust the level of volume on your Sena, using the Sena volume control. Until you like it. When listening to audio from your gps. Adjust the volume on your Sena, using the Sena volume control. Until you like it. Your Sena will remember the different volumes for the different devices.

Sarge
05-07-2019, 07:40 PM
Thanks Billybovine, I'll give that a try
Hey, I've only owned a Spyder since last Friday and only just started playing with the Zumo.

WingManDan
05-07-2019, 09:07 PM
I connected the Cardo Freecom 2 Plus today. Here is how I am using it for now: Bluetooth from my phone to the Spyder, then Spyder and Garmin 590 to the Cardo headset. I can listen to FM from the Spyder, music and podcasts from my phone, controlled through the Spyder dash, and navigation prompts from the Garmin that reduce the volume of the music when the nav prompt cuts in. I don't plan on answering calls/talking on my phone while riding so that setup works for me.

Navigation volume did come through at full blast at first but you use the headset to lower the volume while the nav is prompting and it remembers that level as billybovine mentioned.

Sarge
05-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Yep. Found that works, but, didn't seem so when it first blasted me. I think what I had found, in my previous reply, was a way to "limit" the volume from the Zumo. So, If I turn the volume on my Sena to full volume when the Zumo speaks, I can then go into the Zumo "Navigation" volume setting and limit its output to the Sena so that it won't blast me.