PDA

View Full Version : New (2013) Solace Camper owner, any advice?

markyodo
04-28-2019, 12:26 PM
Since 2014 we've been traveling with our trusty modded Tag-Along trailer, but there have been limitations because we didn't have the complete freedom we wanted and relied a lot on hotels, cabins, and cottages for overnight stays.
This changes today with the purchase of a 2013 Solace camping trailer. This camper comes with upgraded stainless screws, LED lighting, window AC and all brackets, Cooler, Weatherproof Luggage Bag, Table, Air Mattress, and L-shaped Awning.
Dry weight without the AC is around 330 lbs and reported 16-20 cubic feet of usable storage plus roof rack.

I searched the forums and found a few people that may still have one and wanted your advice and opinions for this trailer and our future travels?
Thanks in advance. ;)

RICZ
04-28-2019, 03:53 PM
Has everything but a bathroom.

pegasus1300
04-28-2019, 06:26 PM
Sorry Mark but not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. I have pulled trailers with 2 and 3 wheels both cargo and camping. May be a specific question or 2 would help get the ball rolling.

markyodo
04-28-2019, 07:00 PM
Sure pegasus.
Since you have experience with both, any difficulties or differences towing between the camping and cargo trailers? My cargo experience has been with the tag-along and estimated max 250-300 lbs.
Kinda curious at what point weight becomes an issue? Even close to 300 lbs we had no issues.
Any recommendations for permanent or helpful items to store in such a small camper?

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-28-2019, 08:01 PM
I would say just be aware of the extra weight when braking. At about 300 - 350 lbs, IMO, you can begin feeling the push of the trailer when you're braking. Brake easy and give yourself plenty of distance. Be ready to make gas stops more often. Heavy, large, non-aerodynamic trailers can really do a number on MPG. I think my trailer has been up to about 450 lbs and pulled quite nicely. BRP spec is 400 lbs max.

pegasus1300
04-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Always remember the weight. The power of the bike may handle it just fine but your brakes need more time to stop you and they will wear faster. If you are going to cook, look for backpack equipment to keep the weight down. I used a Svea123 from Sweden. Ran off gasoline so I would just take a little out of the tank, that way I didn't have to carry fuel. Every oz. you can save helps. I don't like aluminum cookware but I use it, because it is so light. I kept all the moto camping equipment on the trailer all the time. the only difference I noticed is that the camper was harder on mpg because it was boxier then the cargo trailer. Go out camping close by a few times, you'll see what fits your needs best. Also join the Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers. Lots of information and good people.

http://ibmc.org/

bmwlarry
04-30-2019, 09:57 AM
I have pulled an Aspen Sentry trailer all over the country. I have never had a problem and I am sure it is overweight with gear. I do know enough to always stay alert for issues that would cause me to brake suddenly. On one trip we were traveling one way and an approaching truck dropped its wheels off onto a new soft shoulder. The truth swerved and slid on its side right up to us but the trusty spyder Brembo brats saved us.

easysuper
04-30-2019, 11:07 AM
We have a Aspen Sentry and with all our gear it weighs in at 430 lbs. As always you need to stay alert and be prepared to react according to the situation. We both pull trailers as my wife will pull the dog trailer or the cargo trailer and that can lighten the load for the Aspen. In three weeks we start on a 2 1/2 month Coast to Coast to Coast ride that should cover nearly 10,000 miles.Take your camper out on some weekend trips and that can help you dial in your gear.