PDA

View Full Version : ISCI handbrake....better news

Venom21
06-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Just to clarify, ISCI is trying to procure dealers to install the handbrake when released, but will still sell to individuals as well. The preferred method would be to establish a network of trusted dealers for installs. Being realistic however, we have realized that the general consumer needs to be able to purchase these direct, if a dealer won't install them for them. The individual will sign our waiver that most have you have seen before we ship the product to you by fax or electronic signature. Hope this helps clear up the confusion and I am glad we will be able to sell to both the average consumer and the dealers.

The release and pricing of this product will not happen until our group comes back from LA next week. At that point, after garnering feedback from Spyder riders out there, and Lamonster, we should be ready to roll. It will be added to our website immediately and it has already been added to our brochure mailings. That should give you a hint to how close we are to offering this........
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/report.php?p=113503) http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=113503)

RoadHammer
06-28-2009, 04:17 PM
very cool.. THank you.. I need this mod, doing a big trip @ the end of July...

cheers

SethO
06-28-2009, 08:53 PM
I will take one as soon as you get it going, would have like to have demo'ed one for ya, I have 10k on my spyder and am going to run quarter miles on wednesday also goin to the budds salt flat run in the end of august. Aggresive braking is a must running with rockets. Give me the biggest damn sticker with your business name on it and I will sell the crap out of your stuff. 218-556-3994.

If you want your product tested to the limits I am your man. Will sign any wavier you want.

Ken C
06-28-2009, 09:57 PM
It'll be a perfect fit to go with the repositioned brake and new floor boards. Just hope the price is reasonable.

SLO RYDER
06-28-2009, 10:53 PM
:(

When I talked to ISCI at LA they said the brake kit might run around $1400.

Sorry but that is too pricey for my budget. I hope they will sharpen their pencils and come up with a more reasonable price

:dontknow:

Ken C
06-28-2009, 11:15 PM
OUCH! :yikes: I thought the floor boards were pricey, but I would think much more work goes into engineering them as it's all custom. Some parts for the handbrake are from other applications. Hmmmm.

SethO
06-30-2009, 12:28 AM
if this thing is over a grand, they can keep it, I will pay $500 to anyone who gets me the parts and the brackets I need and sends them to me with the instructions with pics, Nexus one is the one I want and I will sign ANY paper you want to clear you of liability.

RoadHammer
06-30-2009, 12:58 PM
I agree with Setho.. Im in. All we need is the NExus bracket..

BRPjunkie
06-30-2009, 01:14 PM
The ISCI products are obviously well designed and well made, but they are expensive. If you want a front brake bad enough, or need one for physical reasons, I guess you will pony up the $$$$, but many of us have gotten used to our foot brake only and will stop short of adding this option.

RoadHammer
06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
It's not just a front brake its all wheel brake and disabled riders need it. No question about it. We just don't want to be raped financially by a company to have them. I won't stand for that.....:gaah:

The ISCI products are obviously well designed and well made, but they are expensive. If you want a front brake bad enough, or need one for physical reasons, I guess you will pony up the $$$$, but many of us have gotten used to our foot brake only and will stop short of adding this option.

RoHo
06-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Guys,
I've just had the mod outlined by NEXUS for a handbraked done on my bike. A friend of mine (an engineering student at the University of Arkansas) did the work for me and has the specs on the brackets he used. If you are interested, I'll give you contact information for Michael and he has indicated he could reproduce any of the mods he has done for me. Be aware that if you are using NMN risers, the master cylinder used by NEXUS and Trikester in their write-ups will not work. With risers, you need a master cylinder that has the cylinder perpendicular to the handlebars instead of horizontal to the bar. We used a Yamaha R6 master cylinder and then had the slave cylinder reworked to conform to the R6 master (16mm bore as opposed to 22mm with the original setup). If I can be of any help, let me know. Mine is working awesome. Full brake pedal - I can even engage the ABS with the hand brake. After making the changes necessary to make the handbrake work with risers, I still had the handbraked and footboards installed for under $500.00 total. That's even after buying two separate master cylinders and having the slave cylinder reworked at a cost of $165.00. Way cheaper!! PM me if you need info. By the way, I have a brand new master cylinder just like the one NEXUS and Trikester used for sale to anyone that would like it - $75.00 and postage (I paid $99.50 plus postage for it oriooriginally).

Roho

Wheelz
06-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Is 16mm bore even strong enough for all 3 wheels? How much lever effort are you applying? From all the mechanics I've talked to 20mm was the min.

Guys,
<snip>We used a Yamaha R6 master cylinder and then had the slave cylinder reworked to conform to the R6 master (16mm bore as opposed to 22mm with the original setup). If I can be of any help, let me know. <snip>
Roho

SethO
07-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I will take one Roho, call me or email me 218-556-3994 or seth5563994@hotmail.com will shoot you a check for 500 as soon as you the stuff

RoHo
07-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Is 16mm bore even strong enough for all 3 wheels? How much lever effort are you applying? From all the mechanics I've talked to 20mm was the min.

Wheelz,
I've made one ride with the new brake system. I've got a full brake lever with room to spare and no problem at all stopping the Spydie with little to moderate effort. As a matter of fact, I can engage the ABS with this system. No complaints from me. The young man that did the setup for me claims this is more than adaquite (spelling ???). He is an engineering student (4th year) here at the University, and I'm relying on his knowledge and that of the engineering dept. at the school that he has talked too. As long as it works, I'm good. :clap:
Roho

burg650
07-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Wheelz,
I've made one ride with the new brake system. I've got a full brake lever with room to spare and no problem at all stopping the Spydie with little to moderate effort. As a matter of fact, I can engage the ABS with this system. No complaints from me. The young man that did the setup for me claims this is more than adaquite (spelling ???). He is an engineering student (4th year) here at the University, and I'm relying on his knowledge and that of the engineering dept. at the school that he has talked too. As long as it works, I'm good. :clap:
Roho

Can you post some photos please.

Diggittt
07-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Can you post some photos please.

yes photos please:2thumbs:

Diggittt

RoHo
07-01-2009, 11:13 PM
yes photos please:2thumbs:

Diggittt

I've transferred photo's to my computer and will post them tomorrow.
Roho

RoHo
07-01-2009, 11:18 PM

Wheelz,
The more I've thought about this the more I think I know why 16mm seems to be working. On this setup, all the master cylinder and slave cylinder I've added is doing is pushing on the original brake mechanism. The original brakes have not been altered and are designed to accomodate all three wheels. All my addition (or I should say the modification originally described by NEXUS and Trikester) is doing is causing the original system to be engaged and does not require a lot of pressure. This seems to make sense to me. Any thoughts from some of our more experienced riders???
Roho :dontknow:

NancysToy
07-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Wheelz,
The more I've thought about this the more I think I know why 16mm seems to be working. On this setup, all the master cylinder and slave cylinder I've added is doing is pushing on the original brake mechanism. The original brakes have not been altered and are designed to accomodate all three wheels. All my addition (or I should say the modification originally described by NEXUS and Trikester) is doing is causing the original system to be engaged and does not require a lot of pressure. This seems to make sense to me. Any thoughts from some of our more experienced riders???
Mostly this depends on the size of the slave cylinder. If you downsize the master cylinder without downsizing the slave cylinder, you will get too little travel at the slave. If you downsize the slave proportionally, your travel will remain the same...within the limits of the system volume. The key then becomes having enough pressure to do the job. This setup may not work if it were tied into the normal braking system, due to inadequate pressures and master cylinder to caliper size mismatches, but if done properly, with both cylinders sized for the travel needed, I see no reason that it would not work well.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

RoadHammer
07-02-2009, 11:25 AM
looking forward to your inbox info Roho. thanks in advance.:2thumbs:

RoHo
07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
looking forward to your inbox info Roho. thanks in advance.:2thumbs:

Here is a link to the album of my handbrake and parking brake mod's. Hope these are helpful!
Roho

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=362

RoadHammer
07-02-2009, 12:07 PM
does the master cylinder bolt to the outside of nmn riser handle bar bolt? Is that a custom bracket?

RoHo
07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
does the master cylinder bolt to the outside of nmn riser handle bar bolt? Is that a custom bracket?

It bolts on the 7/8" bar between the control module and the NMN riser. The bracket is integral with the R6 Master Cylinder/Lever Assembly. The dealership that installed my NMN risers cut my 7/8" bar too short and I had to go to Evan at NMN for a new bar so I would have enought space to mount the master cylinder. By the way, this left me with an extra bar with attached grip that I used to fabricate my parking brake extension you see in my album. The bracket holding the reservoir is custom. Michael fabricated the reservoir bracket, the slave cylinder bracket and the clevis that attaches the slave cylinder to the top of the OEM brake assembly. The hydralic hose was fabricated by a local motorcyle dealership. You can have Michael do that for you or go to a local shop there for your hose.
Roho

Pete Denzer
07-02-2009, 04:15 PM
$1400 is a bit spendy, but not so bad when you consider the quality of the components and the fact that it is completely prefabricated so you don't have to drill, weld or engineer anything. It's like the difference between a prefab home and a built-from-scratch domicile; obviously, when all the sticks are cut to the right length and angle (ever try mitering rafters for a hip roof?) and sub assemblies are already put together for you, the price is higher. It is my understanding that ISCI is using a Brembo master cylinder, name-brand steel braid brake line with clear plastic coating so as not to chafe your precious bodywork, and a slave cylinder of the correct bore size made in-house. The bracket is powder-coated and looks strong enough to be flex-free. The hook-up to the brake pedal is elegantly simple, not sure if it is an original idea, but I bet that everyone is going to copy it. Sure, you can gather up the necessary parts by themselves, consult with other Spyder Lovers about bore ratios and the like, borrow tools, get friends involved with fabrication, and wind up with the same system for less than half as much. What you pay ISCI (or any other specialty fabrication shop) for is NOT having to do all of the above. Some guys enjoy it, I'm past that point, I just want to ride and be able to stop using a handbrake lever in addition to the foot brake. Note: I am NOT writing in behalf of ISCI or any other company, as always, I just am expressing MHO.

NancysToy
07-02-2009, 07:12 PM
$1400 is a bit spendy, but not so bad when you consider the quality of the components and the fact that it is completely prefabricated so you don't have to drill, weld or engineer anything. It's like the difference between a prefab home and a built-from-scratch domicile; obviously, when all the sticks are cut to the right length and angle (ever try mitering rafters for a hip roof?) and sub assemblies are already put together for you, the price is higher. It is my understanding that ISCI is using a Brembo master cylinder, name-brand steel braid brake line with clear plastic coating so as not to chafe your precious bodywork, and a slave cylinder of the correct bore size made in-house. The bracket is powder-coated and looks strong enough to be flex-free. The hook-up to the brake pedal is elegantly simple, not sure if it is an original idea, but I bet that everyone is going to copy it. Sure, you can gather up the necessary parts by themselves, consult with other Spyder Lovers about bore ratios and the like, borrow tools, get friends involved with fabrication, and wind up with the same system for less than half as much. What you pay ISCI (or any other specialty fabrication shop) for is NOT having to do all of the above. Some guys enjoy it, I'm past that point, I just want to ride and be able to stop using a handbrake lever in addition to the foot brake. Note: I am NOT writing in behalf of ISCI or any other company, as always, I just am expressing MHO.
:agree: If I wanted a handbrake for the Spyder, I'd certainly consider this. Seems like a decent price considering the quality engineering. Compared to $500-$1,000 for a new seat, $700 for a BRP backrest and sport rack, $1,000-$1,800 for saddlebags, etc. It seems to be in line with what the market will bear for something that is more important than a mere frill.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

Wheelz
07-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I had a little brain fart there with this gimpy mind :shocked: When I first did my system over a year ago, the only option for us was tapping into the system and eliminating the brake pedal. Then as more riders got involved, the slave cylinder came about. So, I was still in the old frame of mind. As NancysToys stated, it's plenty of power to apply that pedal. I was going to convert back over but didn't want to deal with the mounting brackets and clevis's being fabbed up and the down time to get it installed. I wanted to ride! So, i guess that powerpoint gave you good direction?

Now, how are you putting gas in? I made a filler neck like Jumper did and it works awesome. No more using Jerry Cans to fill up. But now I have to patch my center panel cause I drilled one to many holes dang-it! I can stay on the spyder now to fill up. I can just packup and go now. But with the kind of heat under the tupperware, I dont think this ABS tubing will last long. I need to get something fabbed up out of aluminum.

Ride safe!

Wheelz,

RoHo
07-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Wheelz,
I'm just now looking at doing Jumper's mod for a filler neck. I've been looking at flexible stainless steel radiator hose or the silicone radiator hose and not using pvc. There is enough room at the filler on the gas tank to clamp a silicone hose, so you shouldn't have to use the pvc elbow at all. This should allow you to run the hose from the marine filler neck straight to the original tank. When I finish, I'll post pic's.
Roho

I had a little brain fart there with this gimpy mind :shocked: When I first did my system over a year ago, the only option for us was tapping into the system and eliminating the brake pedal. Then as more riders got involved, the slave cylinder came about. So, I was still in the old frame of mind. As NancysToys stated, it's plenty of power to apply that pedal. I was going to convert back over but didn't want to deal with the mounting brackets and clevis's being fabbed up and the down time to get it installed. I wanted to ride! So, i guess that powerpoint gave you good direction?

Now, how are you putting gas in? I made a filler neck like Jumper did and it works awesome. No more using Jerry Cans to fill up. But now I have to patch my center panel cause I drilled one to many holes dang-it! I can stay on the spyder now to fill up. I can just packup and go now. But with the kind of heat under the tupperware, I dont think this ABS tubing will last long. I need to get something fabbed up out of aluminum.

Ride safe!