PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Shock!

Flanker
04-27-2019, 02:24 PM
Tell you what; while the F3-S is a much better ride than my old RSS; the reduction in trunk space was three steps backwards. I'm getting real tired of dragging my helmet with me when I get off to do "whatever". Ssssoooooo I looked up hard bags at BRP----they were over $1400.00USD @ MSRP with my State's sales tax. So I ran a search on the net for F3-S hard bags and discovered Corbins hard bags---BLEEP me!!! They're like $2222.00 at MSRP!!! Guess I'll be carrying my helmet for the forseeable future. Sheesh!!

JayBros
04-27-2019, 03:31 PM
Isn't there some place on the F3 S you could run a cable loop through? In the 4 1/2 years I've had my Spyder, except for overnights I leave my Neotec on the seat with no problem, no lock. Yeh, there's always a first time...

Lin
04-27-2019, 05:27 PM
You could go with Lidlox.
https://lamonstergarage.com/search.php?search_query=lidlox&section=product

ARtraveler
04-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Saddle bags have always been pricey, pricey. When I had the GS and RS I put the GIVI version on that was available from BRP. Those were about a grand with the color panels. I preferred the Corbin look...but was also put down by the almost $2K price for them.

hypurone
04-27-2019, 05:44 PM
I second the Lidlox option. It is a clean looking option. Quick and easy to use. I can lock my helmet in mine without even needing to find and use the "T-Bar" thingy that comes with them. Simply by inserting only one of the D-rings of the helmet..... :thumbup:

Let me know if you want pics of anything....

donhy
04-27-2019, 06:21 PM
I do agree frunk space was a huge disapointment it doesnt fit my helmet and to my biggest disappointment it doesnt fit a shawarma family platter :( but at the same time i refuse to pay that kind of money for bags. So usually just tie it to passenger handlebars no one has stole it yet.

frj322
04-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Another vote here for Lidlox.. I have them on my 2018 F3S and I just ordered a set to install on the wife's new F3S when it is delivered next week. Great product for sure. I have been looking into saddlebags for mine and haven't found an economical option... would be helpful if anyone who has could chime in��

Chupaca
04-27-2019, 11:18 PM
"Shad" has some bags more reasonable. I use a cable lock to the grab bar on my RS but as you can see there are many helmet locking systems...:thumbup:
There is a vendor/sponsor here that has a nice rear trunk set up.

Michaelscs
04-27-2019, 11:44 PM
You could go with the Shad bags - https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/spyder-accessories/cargo-storage/cargo-bags-accessories/shad-saddlebags-for-can-am-spyder-f3-f3-s.html
They need these mounting brackets - https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/search.html#q=219400728

Batmobil-F3
04-28-2019, 04:27 AM
You can use a lockable helmet bag: http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/helmet_accessories/lockable_helmet_bag/
or
https://www.deemeed.com/products-deemeed/helmet-bag-single/

jcthorne
04-28-2019, 06:46 AM
Are you SURE your helmet will not fit in the frunk? Most full face and modular helmets fit the frunk just fine once you know how to place them in. Face shield up, base of helmet toward rear of bike.

youngers
04-28-2019, 06:52 AM
Tell you what; while the F3-S is a much better ride than my old RSS; the reduction in trunk space was three steps backwards. I'm getting real tired of dragging my helmet with me when I get off to do "whatever". Ssssoooooo I looked up hard bags at BRP----they were over $1400.00USD @ MSRP with my State's sales tax. So I ran a search on the net for F3-S hard bags and discovered Corbins hard bags---BLEEP me!!! They're like $2222.00 at MSRP!!! Guess I'll be carrying my helmet for the forseeable future. Sheesh!!

brother at those prices " `ill carry your helmet around for you at 700.oo :yikes: ( just kidding , that is super small for a trunk , imagine the new riker , ---is there a trunk ? )

Brownsugadiva
04-28-2019, 07:03 AM
Flanker, I got the Shad hard bags installed on my husbands F3S, they hold more than the hard bags on my F3T and we also did the lidlocks for when we are doing quick stops.

akbash
04-28-2019, 02:45 PM
Lidlox work great or I just put my helmet in the Frunk. Place it in like jcthorne said to do. I have a full face with Sena 30k installed and it fits fine.

Flanker
04-29-2019, 04:28 PM
Thanks to all for the links! The Shad bags (which I didn't spot when I was on BRP's site the other night) are speaking to me.................... I knew about the Lidlox---MEH!

I always carry several items with me in the trunk while riding---no room left over for a helmet, mine is an Icon Airframe Pro Warbird:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-airframe-pro-warbird-helmet

It weren't cheap...........I worked in my State's Prison System for 26 years and have known many thieves :yikes:................there's NO WAY I'm leaving it sitting unsecured on the Spyder! :D

Unless I was over in the bushes with my 10mm to provide "cover" for it. :rolleyes: Then I'd likely get arrested for entrapment! :gaah:

UPDATE: Just ran a search for Shad saddlebags---they're on E Bay for about $50.00 less than in the BRP link. FYI!

donhy
04-29-2019, 05:18 PM
I've seen Shad bags in person, bags are nice but they just seem to stick out alot and when not on the bike you can see the mounts on the bike unlike the original brp bags but than again it could just be me as i like a minimalist look. It's the main reason I did not want F3T.

Wildrice
04-29-2019, 05:35 PM

I use bungee cords attached to rear sear backrest. For security I use one of the handgun safety cable & key lock thru the chinstrap buckle to the backrest.

foxtail1
04-29-2019, 05:51 PM
I bought the Can-Am Spyder 2015 F3 F3S Cross Country Detachable Saddlebags on Amazon. They're now down to $950, about $150 less than when I ordered them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFHCZ22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

finsfanscott
04-30-2019, 08:59 AM
I can lock my helmet in mine without even needing to find and use the "T-Bar" thingy that comes with them. Simply by inserting only one of the D-rings of the helmet..... :thumbup:

I can "third" the Lidlox, easy to install and secure. I've had them for well over a year, and never considered just locking with the D ring, have always used the "T-Bar". Will try next time I'm out, thanks for sharing!

F650624
04-30-2019, 09:23 AM
Easy Brackets, Pelican 1550s and assorted hardware: $460, Trike Zone F3 Luggage Rack: $250, Givi Trunk: $199 when I mounted it on my R1150R 12 years ago

Highwayman2013
04-30-2019, 09:29 AM

Use these to mount any bags you want.https://www.westendmotorsports.com/easy-brackets-detachable-saddlebag-supports-for-15-up-can-am-spyder-f3-and-f3s/?keyword=&matchtype=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsYz7tYP44QIV5h-tBh12TAPjEAQYASABEgKmYfD_BwE

gkamer
05-02-2019, 05:36 PM
Isn't there some place on the F3 S you could run a cable loop through? In the 4 1/2 years I've had my Spyder, except for overnights I leave my Neotec on the seat with no problem, no lock. Yeh, there's always a first time...

Believe me when I tell you I've dealt with people who would steal something for no other reason that knowing how ticked off the owner is going to be. They delight in this conduct.

CA Railwhale
05-03-2019, 11:13 AM
You get used to the look of the Shad bags very quickly. When I installed mine two years ago, I planned to leave them off most of the time, now I think the bike looks odd without them.

I go along with the Lidlox, I installed a pair and are very happy with them. To me the conical shape finishes off the handlebars so they are attractive as well as useful. I never thought of just locking the d ring though. That's a good idea.

Flanker
05-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Just ordered a set of the Shad Bags/mounting system from a site on EBay---$649.95 out the door (out the shipping dept anyway!)! :doorag:

Now all I have to do is start accumulating junk to put in my new trunks! ;)

Bob Denman
05-15-2019, 12:11 PM
:congrats:
Just remember :D... No matter how much space you have: your stuff will always expand, and fill it up!

Ibified
05-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Ammo cans as saddle bags are a great option. :D

Flanker
05-16-2019, 07:38 PM
Ammo cans as saddle bags are a great option. :D

With the optional "rifle scabbard"-------------------no doubt! ;)

Flanker
06-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Got the Shad saddle bags installed today! :doorag: I suppose Denman is right though..................I'll just keep accumulating junk till they're over flowing! :joke:

One thing I was not happy about is the deletion of the stock F3 S passenger grab rails. Looking at the left over stock parts and the new Shad mounting bars; I'm inliined to think you could create a hybrid/home made work around; to have the bags WHILE retaining the stock grab rails.

Have any of you done this? If so; how about some pics of your mounts, and a description of what you did, and how you did it (or a link to a previous thread)? TY!

If not----oh well! Time for another FLanker Original Products (FLOP) effort! ;)

Oh yea.......................FINALLY got the Elka Stage 2 R shock installed (Cripes! I should change my handle to Slacker!). Neither the preload, or rebound damping are dialed in to my liking yet, but at least they're there [Thanks for the crap stock shock, BRP! :mad:]---looks like seat of the pants testing for the next couple of weeks!

donhy
06-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Got the Shad saddle bags installed today! :doorag: I suppose Denman is right though..................I'll just keep accumulating junk till their over flowing! :joke:

One thing I was not happy about is the deletion of the stock F3 S passenger grab rails. Looking at the left over stock parts and the new Shad mounting bars; I'm inliined to think you could create a hybrid/home made work around; to have the bags WHILE retaining the stock grab rails.

Have any of you done this? If so; how about some pics of your mounts, and a description of what you did, and how you did it (or a link to a previous thread)? TY!

Oh yea.......................FINALLY got the Elka Stage 2 R shock installed (Cripes! I should change my handle to Slacker!). Neither the preload, or rebound damping are dialed in to my liking yet, but at least they're there [Thanks for the crap stock shock, BRP! :mad:]---looks like seat of the pants testing for the next couple of weeks!

You don't have remove grab rails, they are designed to be mounted without removing anything.

jcthorne
06-03-2019, 06:31 AM
Got the Shad saddle bags installed today! :doorag: I suppose Denman is right though..................I'll just keep accumulating junk till their over flowing! :joke:

The Shad bags mount and keep the factory passenger grab rails. I have them.

Flanker
06-03-2019, 05:01 PM
You are both correct! I misread the instruction sheet. No wonder the grab rails look as if they "could" fit on with the bag rail mounts! DUH!!! :opps: TY!

SgtRay
06-04-2019, 10:44 PM
LOL. I just mounted mine last weekend and misreading the directions was my number one thing. It ended up making my install go from about an hour to 3 hours. You could check out my video as a how it looks when it was done with both the rails.

https://youtu.be/LQFTpw362hk

jbim
06-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Believe me when I tell you I've dealt with people who would steal something for no other reason that knowing how ticked off the owner is going to be. They delight in this conduct.

40 years ago, I left my helmet attached to my bike just my the strap loop. When I came back, someone had stolen my helmet by cutting the strap. I was "lucky" we had no helmet laws in Canada at the time so I could ride back home without an helmet. I never leave my helmet on my bike. I have an F3L so I have storage. If all cases are full, I carry my helmet with me.

askitee
06-05-2019, 01:16 AM
I have an RT Ltd. When we travel,we had nowhere to store our helmets with all the luggage filling the nooks and cranies.

I bought two rubber coated key lockable pushbike antitheft straps - like these https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-15-x-800mm-keyed-bicycle-lock_p4220017

We hook them through the pillion hand grips at the rear and through the face of the helmet.

Flanker
06-05-2019, 10:46 AM
I have an RT Ltd. When we travel,we had nowhere to store our helmets with all the luggage filling the nooks and cranies.

I bought two rubber coated key lockable pushbike antitheft straps - like these https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-15-x-800mm-keyed-bicycle-lock_p4220017

We hook them through the pillion hand grips at the rear and through the face of the helmet.

Dang! Good alternative and a great price!

donhy
06-05-2019, 09:10 PM
For any OCD's out there that dont like white reflectors you can order red ones from europe for about $20 a pair

Flanker
06-06-2019, 06:06 PM
I've hit upon a definitive old school solution to the issue of potential helmet theft and/or securing my helmet. The good news is he works for whiskey and cat treats! The bad news is; the 249 set me back $20,000.00, and if AK has had more than a couple of drinks; he likes to fight, and is not very target discriminatory. If you see my Spyder parked anywhere; with AK on duty; please give them a WIDE birth!! :joke:

http://i.imgur.com/0IW9cR9l.jpg (https://imgur.com/0IW9cR9)

SuperG
06-06-2019, 07:29 PM
https://www.cyclegear.com/_a/product_images/0264/6317/helmet_lok_ii_helmet_lockwith_cable_750x750.jpg172 757

I use this. Got it when it was on sale. Just lock the helmets to the passenger handrails and leave on the seat. It's just enough security that it's obvious to a potential thief that they're not gonna walk away with your helmets without a fight, and all the attendant attention it would cause. Especially with the Spyder, since it screams "look at me!":yikes: