PDA

View Full Version : Under the Frunk?

sandeejs
04-26-2019, 02:04 AM
In the past, I have handled leaky bags (on the bike) by drilling a hole or two for the water to drain out of. I was about to do this in my leaky frunk, when I suddenly had a thought. :yikes: What is under the frunk? I do not know! Checked the repair manual, still don't know. Tried to see under the frunk - no help. Don't want to risk anything important by drilling "blind".
Anybody know? Thanks in advance.

~Sandee~

Peter Aawen
04-26-2019, 02:10 AM
Unless you've already had a bumpskid or similar fitted, there will be a placcy skid tray - easy enough to take off to do your hole drilling, and while you have your Spyder lifted to take that off, it'd probably be an ideal time to fit a bumpskid! :thumbup:

Woodaddict
04-26-2019, 02:22 AM
If you remove the fleece liner there is a rubber plug on floor that you can take out and leave out if needed

PS....NEED TO LOOK AT THE TOP SEAL, THATS WHERE WATER COMES IN

Bfromla
04-26-2019, 04:59 AM
If you remove the fleece liner there is a rubber plug on floor that you can take out and leave out if needed

:thumbup::agree: don’t have to drill:lecturef_smilie: & the liner is washable. Just don’t loose the rubber plug, might be hard to replace.

cruisinTX
04-26-2019, 05:37 AM
In the past, I have handled leaky bags (on the bike) by drilling a hole or two for the water to drain out of. I was about to do this in my leaky frunk, when I suddenly had a thought. :yikes: What is under the frunk? I do not know! Checked the repair manual, still don't know. Tried to see under the frunk - no help. Don't want to risk anything important by drilling "blind".

~Sandee~

When I got my RTL used in the fall of 2017, the previous owner told me about the frunk leaking somehow. He said he had driven it home in the rain from having it serviced at the dealership before delivering it to me. I took note of that but then forgot about it. Then in May of last year on a trip to AR, it rained pretty heavily our first night out. The next morning the frunk had a few inches of water standing in the bottom. I dried it out best I could with a couple of towels borrowed from the motel laundry and went on my way to Bentonville with my frunk bag in a large trash bag. Once safely at the in-laws, I took everything out of the frunk including the liner. I discovered the battery access plate at the back of the frunk was not properly installed and that's where water was running in as it rolled off the windscreen and surrounding body panels. That would be a good place to check before you go to too much trouble with draining operations. I'm assuming the guy/s doing the service mentioned earlier did not get that access panel in place properly and cause the whole problem. I do know that kind of incompetence will prevent me from going back to that dealership.

BTW: I got caught in heavy rain coming home from running errands a couple of months ago--the frunk stayed bone dry inside.

Deanna777
04-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Behind the liner where the battery is , you can attach to the battery a "Pig Tail" to plug a Battery Tender in for use in hibernation. Deanna

Chupaca
04-26-2019, 09:43 AM
You should really start with finding out why there is water in there in the first place. Pulling the plug or drilling holes...there is nothing but the skid plate and some framework under there, will let the water out but in the mean time you will have to be emptying the frunk out and drying the wet stuff. Either way you can drill the holes as you have in the past...:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-26-2019, 10:01 AM

I tested " how does water get into the Frunk thing " ….it's not the top seal where the frunk has that TALL plastic surround …. it's the battery cover gasket …...Mike :ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-26-2019, 10:07 AM

~Sandee~

I drilled holes in all four ( inside ) corners...… and put a dis-carded plastic screen from a large box fan shaped to fit on the bottom …. the safe way NOT to drill to FAR is to use a drill stop....( they are sold in kits or find a piece of plastic or rubber tubing that will slide over the BIT you are using ( 3/16 ) …. put the bit into your drill fully extended , then cut the tube leaving only 1/4 inch of the bit showing ….. now when you drill …. the depth of the hole can ONLY be 1/4 inch..... nothing beyond that 1/4 will be touched ….. worked for me ….. good luck …. Mike :ohyea:

billybovine
04-26-2019, 10:28 AM
The top seal keeps out the dust. For the most part not real important for keeping out water unless you don't have one at all. The big issue is the battery access cover not installed correctly. Next is the fuse box access covers. Then another big cause is holes drilled for wires.

cruisinTX
04-26-2019, 11:04 AM
I tested " how does water get into the Frunk thing " ….it's not the top seal where the frunk has that TALL plastic surround …. it's the battery cover gasket …...Mike :ohyea:

The top seal keeps out the dust. For the most not real important for keeping out water unless you don't have one at all. The big issue is the battery access cover not installed correctly. Next is the fuse box access covers. Then another big cause is holes drilled for wires.

hmmmm, now where have I heard something similar to that before? ;);););)

pegasus1300
04-26-2019, 11:27 AM
always nice to have confirmation:clap:

billybovine
04-26-2019, 12:12 PM
hmmmm, now where have I heard something similar to that before? ;);););)

It's worth repeating.

Motorcycledave
04-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Hi Paul

sandeejs
04-28-2019, 12:21 AM
Thanks, folks! Just now returning to my computer, and I can't for the life of me imagine what the battery gasket cover looks like. It's after midnight and dark here in beayoutiful S.E. Michigan, so I'm gonna be checking it out tomorrow.
Actually, tomorrow is later today, so, then.
~Sandee~

Peter Aawen
04-28-2019, 12:58 AM
...... can't for the life of me imagine what the battery gasket cover looks like.....

When you open your frunk & unzip then peel open the frunk liner/cover on the engine/ryding side of your frunk (if you actually have a frunk liner/cover :rolleyes: ) look down inside between the liner & the plastic & on that back wall you should see a couple of fuse boxes, one each side of the back wall; then between & sorta below them, the battery cover - if the bottom of that cover hasn't been clipped in properly &/or the gasket was kinked when the cover was last fitted into place, the back wall of your frunk will have been basically open all around the battery to all the spray & crap that gets tossed up under the bike.... And THAT cover &/or gasket not being sealed properly is the most likely cause of letting water & road spray etc into the frunk! :shocked:

Good Luck! :thumbup:

cruisinTX
04-28-2019, 07:29 AM
When you open your frunk & unzip then peel open the frunk liner/cover on the engine/ryding side of your frunk (if you actually have a frunk liner/cover :rolleyes: ) look down inside between the liner & the plastic & on that back wall you should see a couple of fuse boxes, one each side of the back wall; then between & sorta below them, the battery cover - if the bottom of that cover hasn't been clipped in properly &/or the gasket was kinked when the cover was last fitted into place, the back wall of your frunk will have been basically open all around the battery to all the spray & crap that gets tossed up under the bike.... And THAT cover &/or gasket not being sealed properly is the most likely cause of letting water & road spray etc into the frunk! :shocked:

Good Luck! :thumbup:

Good helpful post, but it doesn't have to be just road spray. The last time mine was partially filled with water was after sitting in the rain at a motel overnight having gone zero miles. Prior to that rain storm, the frunk was completely dry inside. That led me to the conclusion that water coming down from the top (windscreen and surrounding body work) can also get in there.

PW2013STL
04-28-2019, 09:45 AM
Sandee,

The first time my frunk got wet inside I was going to drill holes to allow drainage, but decided to see if I could find out how it got wet. Turned out one of the fuse covers was not seated correctly. After fixing that I never had a wet frunk again (unless I open it during a down pour.)

billybovine
04-28-2019, 10:52 AM
Most common thing I have seen with the battery access panel is that it is hooked at the bottom then flipped up in place. The 2 side hooks are not engaged this way leaving a gap on both sides.

sandeejs
04-28-2019, 07:38 PM
I had best intentions of being productive today, but it didn't happen. I'll report on progress tomorrow.
~Sandee~

Malathion
04-28-2019, 10:22 PM
My missing battery hardware