PDA

View Full Version : Two new buttons!

Cundiffla
06-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I have installed two buttons on my spyder. A black one and a red one, the black one is to open the truck. I used a small button wired it to an actualator and to the accessory plug. I done this so I can open the truck while the spyder is running, and it will open after the key is off for about twenty to thirty seconds until the accessory plug is out of power. This idea came from spyder13. Now the red button opens the garage door. I hot wire a speaker wire to the remote control then to a plug and then to the red button. The plug is in case the remote needs battery change or reprogram. Also if a service needs to be done the remote can also come unplug also.:ohyea: I am pretty proud of the garage door must say!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=346&pictureid=3285

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=346&pictureid=3284

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=346&pictureid=3283

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=346&pictureid=3286

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=346&pictureid=3287

Bersquack
06-25-2009, 06:38 PM
That is pretty cool! Nice work!:2thumbs:

tjfischer
06-25-2009, 07:11 PM
I am impressed. Two very slick mods:bowdown:

ataDude
06-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice! :2thumbs:

NancysToy
06-25-2009, 07:32 PM
:clap: Very well done! You have a right to be proud.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

gazey
06-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Nice work. I gotta do that door opener thing on mine :2thumbs:

Roaddog2
06-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Nice work. I gotta do that door opener thing on mine :2thumbs::agree::2thumbs:

Jeff in Dallas
06-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Very cool!!! :2thumbs:

igor
06-25-2009, 10:53 PM
nice work :firstplace:

babyanlee
06-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Nice :2thumbs: :clap:

bjt
07-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I like the trunk release. It never fails that I think I'm ready to go, close the trunk, fire up the spyder and then remember that I need to get something out of or put something into the trunk. :gaah: I'll be thinking about the trunk release mod when I get the parts together and some free time.

Twodog185
07-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Cundiffla, I looked all over for micro buttons such as yours. Where'd ya get'm bud?

Thanks

docdoru
07-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Nice mods!:congrats:

Cundiffla
07-07-2009, 05:57 AM
Cundiffla, I looked all over for micro buttons such as yours. Where'd ya get'm bud?

Thanks

Radio Shack for $1.95 I think that was the price.

val
07-07-2009, 07:15 AM
can you show how you connected the wires to the opener,0r how and where you soldered
thanks

vt228
07-07-2009, 07:58 AM
nice job:firstplace: :2thumbs: :clap::congrats: love it

SpyderGirl
07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
So awesome! :2thumbs:

0228lisa
07-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Good job Larry! Love the garage door opener!!:clap:

burg650
07-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I like the garage door mod but for me it would mean I need three, my toys get moved around all the time and not sure which door I will need to open from day to day. Also on my garage opener the button is on the circuit board with a very small (micro small) switch and no way to add a external button.

Cundiffla
07-16-2009, 05:31 PM
You can alway get three remotes for each toys. Genie Remote has the older circuit boards and you would solder to the switch not the circuit board. If you're not sure take it to a Car Alarm and Stereo they sometime will soldier the wire to it for you. It's not as hard as it seems. ;) Just make sure to use small speaker wires.

:spyder:

I like the garage door mod but for me it would mean I need three, my toys get moved around all the time and not sure which door I will need to open from day to day. Also on my garage opener the button is on the circuit board with a very small (micro small) switch and no way to add a external button.

Cundiffla
07-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I'll see if I can get it off and take some pictures of the soldering work.
:thumbup:

can you show how you connected the wires to the opener,0r how and where you soldered
thanks

effgjamis
07-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Auto trunk stuff....
:thumbup:

Now that you have done yours.... I am next.... Do I need an appointment or you just drop in?????

burg650
07-17-2009, 01:48 AM
You can alway get three remotes for each toys. Genie Remote has the older circuit boards and you would solder to the switch not the circuit board. If you're not sure take it to a Car Alarm and Stereo they sometime will soldier the wire to it for you. It's not as hard as it seems. ;) Just make sure to use small speaker wires.

:spyder:

Today I decided to pull my garage opener apart to look again at the circuit board and on the board the three buttons that operate the doors has 4 post that is soldered on to the board. I do not know how to tell which two of the 4 would be right ones for the wires and I do not think I can do this, any experts out there to help.

bjt
07-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Today I decided to pull my garage opener apart to look again at the circuit board and on the board the three buttons that operate the doors has 4 post that is soldered on to the board. I do not know how to tell which two of the 4 would be right ones for the wires and I do not think I can do this, any experts out there to help.

I could probably help you if I had the remote in my hand but it could be hard to talk you through it online. :dontknow: If you have a multimeter or continuity checker, you could try test combinations of two of the posts two try and determine which two have continuity when the desired button is depressed. The switch might have to be removed from the circuit board to check this.

A slightly more dangerous but still valid way to test the circuit... :sour:
If the battery stays in the door opener and powers the circuit with the covers off, you could also try taking a length of small gauge wire and carefully touching it between different combinations of the posts. When the proper two are shorted together, the door should open or close. Be careful when doing that as accidently touching the wire somewhere you shouldn't could potentially let the smoke out of a component. (All those electronic components are made with some amount of "magic smoke" and once you release that smoke, the component no longer works. :D)

:lecturef_smilie: Shorting out the wrong things accidently could cause varying amounts of damage to the door opener or even cause the battery to explode, a scary experience to say the least.

:lecturef_smilie: If you are wondering what gauge wire is small enough or how long the wire should be, it's probably best not to use this method. nojoke

Cundiffla
07-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Ok this the second time I've tried to type this from my blackberry. Take a small screw driver contact two of the post if until you find the two that open or close the door that'll be the two you need to soldier the small speaker wires to. Now you need to make sure you use mountument button switch I've got mine from radio shack. You also need to use a small soldiering tool and lightly soldier the wire not too much to loosen the switch from the board.

Cundiffla
07-18-2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=346&pictureid=4300

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=346&pictureid=4302

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=346&pictureid=4301

rmcaskey
07-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Be careful when doing that as accidently touching the wire somewhere you shouldn't could potentially let the smoke out of a component. (All those electronic components are made with some amount of "magic smoke" and once you release that smoke, the component no longer works. :D)

Ah HA!! So THAT'S how that works !!!!!!

I am so gonna impress my kids when they hear this !!!!!

:roflblack:

Cundiffla
07-19-2009, 05:03 AM
Ah HA!! So THAT'S how that works !!!!!!

I am so gonna impress my kids when they hear this !!!!!

:roflblack:

So you're gonna try it? If so good luck. The reason why I'd solder to the back is the board already had a bit of solder on it place a little bit on the wire. Then place the wire on the board to it solder heat the wire just a wee bit it'll solder on. After you do both wire then you have to make sure the solder didn't over flow into each contact if it does then take a sharp object and scrape/cut the solder. OH if you're doing this near your garage you might want to take the battery out, your door will open and close while you're doing this. I did mine at another place.

Cundiffla
07-19-2009, 05:39 AM
Now that you have done yours.... I am next.... Do I need an appointment or you just drop in?????

Give me a call we'll work something out. The truck opener requires DEI 524N Lock Motor; the site below sells them for $14.12 plus $10.40 for Ground Shipping. Radio Shack for the button switch $2.98. I should have some speaker wires in my garage so that is covered.

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/product/directed-524n-2-wire-high-power-door-lock-motor/524N%20D25943.html

CRUCIFIED
07-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Nice work. Very clean.:2thumbs:

vendit
07-19-2009, 07:48 PM
These are both great Mods! I did the garage door opener today, and it works great! I do have a question about the trunk release actuator:

How did you wire this? I picked up a power door lock actuator at a local parts store today, but when you wire it up, it either goes all the way out, or all the way in (when you reverse polarity). I am looking for a solution so that it justs actuates in one direction, and returns to "home" postion.

What did you do for yours?:helpsmilie:

ataDude
07-19-2009, 07:51 PM
These are both great Mods! I did the garage door opener today, and it works great! I do have a question about the trunk release actuator:

How did you wire this? I picked up a power door lock actuator at a local parts store today, but when you wire it up, it either goes all the way out, or all the way in (when you reverse polarity). I am looking for a solution so that it justs actuates in one direction, and returns to "home" postion.

welcome

Cundiffla
07-20-2009, 05:55 AM

I used the accessory plug Fuse. The power to the accessory goes off 30 seconds after the key is turn off. This is nice after you turn off the spyder you have up to 30 seconds to open your trunk. I've placed my on the left of the latch so it needed to be push to open the trunk if you use the cable which I don't recommend because you've become reliable only to the actuator if it fails for what ever reason then you can always use the key to open it. :2thumbs:

ryaleon
07-02-2011, 01:39 PM
How do you have the actuator attached to the release latch?

Big Arm
07-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Looking at his picture closely, I'd say it just pushes against the cable pull portion of the release latch.