PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder

Dragonrider
06-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Since I finally found a dealer that wanted to sell a Spyder..(did I say that I've been trying to get a deal for four months & my local people won't even pick up my calls? Said I was too focused on "cheapening the brand" (hmmm, sounds Hardley-esque to me..)), I'll be picking up my new SM5 & riding 200 miles home, through the mountains, to get home.

I've got 50 or so miles around town on one, but what should watch for on those early miles? How about "break-in"? This will all be fairly high speed..

ataDude
06-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Since I finally found a dealer that wanted to sell a Spyder..(did I say that I've been trying to get a deal for four months & my local people won't even pick up my calls? Said I was too focused on "cheapening the brand" (hmmm, sounds Hardley-esque to me..)), I'll be picking up my new SM5 & riding 200 miles home, through the mountains, to get home.

I've got 50 or so miles around town on one, but what should watch for on those early miles? How about "break-in"? This will all be fairly high speed..

You need just a very few miles to mate the moving parts... like 25-50... vary the speed in that period... don't just put it on the highway at 65 and leave it there. Then, my suggestion would be to really get it on it a number of times to help seat the rings correctly.

I'd also check the fluids... oil and coolant... before you leave the dealer and verify that the coolant cap is tightened to the second notch... quite a few dealers have that wrong.

Check tires for 17-20 psi in front and 25-30 psi in back. Most are running at the high end of those pressures.

Also, make sure you get TWO keys and that they both work.

Tom in NM
06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Well, glad the day is finally here for you!
welcome
If I remember correctly, you have all the manuals and they cover break-in very well. If you stop for gas every 50 to 75 miles or so and let it cool down a little, everything should be fine.
The big thing I always forgot or got distracted on was the PARKING BRAKE, really, you do not want to find out how the Spyder handles as you take off to merge in traffic with it on. With all the people talking to you and getting used to a new routine, it was easy ( for me ) to forget. Your BMW does not have a Parking Brake and this will be something new to integrate in.
Other than that, take it easy and enjoy the first of many rides. After 600 miles you can start testing the limits.

Also, I agree with everything Atadude said. Good advice.

Be careful and have fun.
Tom

gazey
06-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, glad the day is finally here for you!
welcome
If I remember correctly, you have all the manuals and they cover break-in very well. If you stop for gas every 50 to 75 miles or so and let it cool down a little, everything should be fine.
The big thing I always forgot or got distracted on was the PARKING BRAKE, really, you do not want to find out how the Spyder handles as you take off to merge in traffic with it on. With all the people talking to you and getting used to a new routine, it was easy ( for me ) to forget. Your BMW does not have a Parking Brake and this will be something new to integrate in.
Other than that, take it easy and enjoy the first of many rides. After 600 miles you can start testing the limits.

Also, I agree with everything Atadude said. Good advice.

Be careful and have fun.
Tom

I know what you mean.
I rode off a few times with the park brake still on :opps:.
And watch out for those curbs. I know it might sound silly but after riding two wheels its easy to forget about the extra width :doorag:

Dragonrider
06-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks - I'm looking forward to this.... I DID spring for the extra three years warranty... just in case......

Bersquack
06-25-2009, 06:40 PM
:congrats:

retread
06-25-2009, 10:13 PM
:congrats: ryde safe!

john

Saluda
06-26-2009, 04:49 AM
Enjoy, you'll be happy. Side note, this year (my 2nd) I've noticed the questions have dropped off considerably. People getting a little used to the Spyder ?
:congrats:

Some Guy
06-26-2009, 08:55 AM
:congrats: Let the mods begin! :2thumbs: