PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Pet Carriers/Dog backpack carriers

Darren111
04-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Between now and Christmas I will be getting a French Bull Dog. I would like to take my companion out with me for short rides out. Any recommendations for motorcycle pet carriers/Dog back pack carriers?

Luvs2Ride
04-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Cutest little face ever!!! Don't have any info on a carrier, but... adorable dog! Enjoy when your pet arrives.
: )
Gina J

Haikanko
04-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Love your dog. Ours when young :) 170906

Peter Aawen
04-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Kuryakin do some pretty good "pet palaces" in a variety of sizes, so there should be one to fit your french bulldog. As you should be able to see in my avatar pic, if you think about it a little, your furry friend may even be able to fit in a tank bag instead of in a box on a rack or ryding the pillion seat etc - the avatar pic shows my 'miniture Maltese' sitting in the Can-Am tank bag that was originally intended for use on the RSS/ST style Spyders, but a tiny adjustment to the straps allows the front 2 to go around the steering shaft, with the heavier centre strap at the rear being extended to allow it to stretch down between the seat & the glovebox, go around the main spar, then back up to the bag. It also provides a secure link inside the bag for his harness, so he is strapped onto the Spyder, but the harness & lead is short enough so that even if the RT flips, he's kept clear of the ground by the dash & handlebars up front & the RT Trunk behind!

That little tank bag doesn't allow him to be fully enclosed, but once he's got his harness & Doggles on he prefers to be out in the breeze anyway. (Do protect your dogs eyes while ryding, even the wind pressure at moderate speeds can do a lot of canine eye damage over time! Doggles should be available at most pet accessory retailers, often the same places you can get a pet palace.) Still, when we are touring or the weather's not so nice, we have a larger tank bag very similar to the Kuryakin offerings that is big enough for him to be fully enclosed & protected, even curl up & settle inside completely enclosed & protected from the elements; or the side, front, & top mesh covers can be opened in varying stages to let him simply enjoy the breeze or go so far as to stick his head & shoulders out to commune with nature as we ryde. No, not THAT 'commune with nature', he will tell us in no uncertain terms if he needs a stop to find some grass or a fire hydrant, altho a front wheel will suffice if he's caught short! ;)

Here's to Enjoying your Spyder Ryding with your Furry Friend & co-pilot aboard! :thumbup:

Ps: do a search on Teddy & his Red Sled, he's a real character who we see far too little of here on the Forum these days! :sour:

Lew L
04-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Cute littel Frenchie

I always wished I could take Kaos with me on road trips. But he ( they all were ) just a little to big------- see avatair on the left.
Lew L

Deanna777
04-14-2019, 10:05 AM
Adorable face,/and ears.

I don't have suggests for a dog carrier.
Deanna

Darren111
04-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Here's thanking Luvs2Ride, Haikanko, Lew L and Deanna777 for your comments. Peter Aawen loving the advice and recommendation you have given, I will certainly do my homework on the Kuryakin. Peter did you wait till your dog was an adult before taking her out for rides or did you take her out when she was a puppy? I want to make sure my dog will be happy with rides out and just wondering whether to take her out whilst she is a puppy so that she can get used to it and find out if she will like it or not.

Highwayman2013
04-14-2019, 11:37 AM
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kuryakyn-grand-pet-palace-luggage?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuD8qoLQ4QIVjdlkCh3tcQnR EAAYASAAEgJA3fD_BwE

Here's some ideas, not sure what's available where you are.

HayRog
04-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Between now and Christmas I will be getting a French Bull Dog. I would like to take my companion out with me for short rides out. Any recommendations for motorcycle pet carriers/Dog back pack carriers?

Cuter than the English Bulldog for sure :2thumbs:

Darren111
04-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Thank you Highwayman. After doing my homework and getting advice, I am sold on the Kuryakyn Pet Palace Carrier. Thanks again for the advice.
Product description
Does your small pet like to ride? If so, we have the safest, stylish, & most convenient solution! Place your pet inside, strap it to the bike & you're ready to take your favorite pet on the safari of a lifetime. Equipped with more features than you can shake a stick at - A drink holder for you & a food dish holder for your pet. Also a removable washable faux fur comfort liner, built in leash, two large storage compartments & four mesh windows for viewing & ventilation. Dims: 18.5" wide x 15" deep (with pockets) x 13" tall Cubic inches: 2,126 (Inside only) Reflective piping for visibility Highly water-resistant fabric, no rain cover needed Top window opens allowing pet to pop its head out Internal frame and rigid bottom provides support Carrying handle for easy portability Bottom and top zipper open for easy cleaning Zip out drink holder and pocket for included food/water dishes Removable faux fur comfort liner & four mesh windows for viewing and ventilation Included items: Internal adjustable leash, two dishes, four metal stakes for securing to the ground, & adjustable straps for mounting to the motorcycle

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Cuter than the English Bulldog for sure :2thumbs:

Are you kidding - :gaah: ….. Bullies are the cutest dogs & smartest & most lovable & toughest & most stubborn & &&& well you get it ….. :roflblack:...………...jmho ….. Mike :ohyea:

sandeejs
04-14-2019, 01:15 PM
I always wished I could take Kaos with me on road trips. But he (they all were ) just a little to big------- see avatar on the left.
Lew L

Lew, on one of my longer trips, I saw a motorcycle with a trailer. Peeked inside and saw a large dog. I could see he had a food dish as well as water dish, a couple of toys, and doggie bed. He might have a dog spa in the back. His owner/driver told me that the dog went and stood by the trailer on a daily basis, hoping it was time for a ride.
~Sandee~

2dogs
04-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Friend of mine went down on the freeway a couple of years ago and both he and his K9 passenger survived the crash. He rear ended a stopped vehicle and bent the frame of his bike so it was totaled. New frame, forks, tire wheel and so on and both he and his buddy are back on the road again and riding together today. So just be super careful out there and enjoy the ride and the company.

Lew L
04-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Lew, on one of my longer trips, I saw a motorcycle with a trailer. Peeked inside and saw a large dog. I could see he had a food dish as well as water dish, a couple of toys, and doggie bed. He might have a dog spa in the back. His owner/driver told me that the dog went and stood by the trailer on a daily basis, hoping it was time for a ride.
~Sandee~

Thanks for the reply Sandee. I guess " large dog" is the operative term here. Searched a bunch of sites and " large dog" to them means70 to 90 lbs. Great Danes are twice that size. We even chose a SUV many years ago because our Dane at the time could sit up in the back. Living with Great Danes is like living with a 180 lb. 3 year old. But we've had 6 of them over the years----- loved them all.

Lew L

HayRog
04-15-2019, 10:32 AM
Are you kidding - :gaah: ….. Bullies are the cutest dogs & smartest & most lovable & toughest & most stubborn & &&& well you get it ….. :roflblack:...………...jmho ….. Mike :ohyea:

OK Mike, ya got me. There are exceptions. Your Bully is cute also ;)
Guess I still remember my buddy in Liverpool when we were teenagers. His bulldog had been in a few scraps and had a problem with flatulence :)

easysuper
04-15-2019, 10:43 AM
This is how we take our second child with us on our trips, she has logged over 10,000 miles in her personal RV, there is room for her water dish, there is 4 operable windows with screens, two locking doors, and it is insulated with ridged fiberglass foam panels and a operable air scoop on top.
171035 171036 171037

Peter Aawen
04-15-2019, 12:07 PM
........... Peter did you wait till your dog was an adult before taking HIM out for rides or did you take HIM out when HE was a puppy? ........

Him, Darren; Him!! Fixed it for you tho! :thumbup:

Dunno why everyone thinks that such a tough looking fella like Max is a 'she', He's got a bikie jacket, doggles, & a beard 'n all... but people still call Him a her! :gaah: Usually only once tho! ;)

Not to worry tho, he's survived so far without having to savage anyone's ankle for re-offending! :2thumbs:

You ask how old he was when he first came riding? Well, he's been riding with me & keeping me in line for 16 years so far, so I guess he can handle a little gender confusion. He came out on his first ride with me when he was about 8 weeks old, and enjoyed it heaps, leaning into the curves & showing off to his adoring public - so he's been riding & driving with me ever since. For a lot of his early outings, he was so small (fitted on the palm of my hand with room to spare!) that I usually insisted that he travel in my jacket pocket (I wore a Dri-z-a-bone with those deep square flap covered pockets back then, so it was the safest place for such a tiny fella!) & only really graduated to the tank bag & the small pet palace full time once he'd reached his fighting weight of 2.5 kilos. I was a little surprised at how well he took to riding, & how much he enjoyed it, but while he was small, he'd always been a bit of an adventurous type & was always the first of his litter to be out exploring & tasting new stuff. I probably should've realised he'd enjoy pretty much everything I did when we first met.... he was so young the paint hadn't dried yet, his eyes were barely open, & he was sooo tiny, but he was out exploring the room well outside his mum's reach when we arrived & he quickly discovered my boot. He checked it out first to get his bearings, then climbed aboard, savaged the boot lace for a bit, and soon went to sleep sucking on the lace end while the Missus & I finalised his adoption - he adopted us & has travelled with us ever since! In fact, we've literally just finished a 600 mile run, with Max supervising the whole way.... altho he does 'rest his eyes' a lot more on long trips these days than he once used to, but he still lets me know when I'm slowing up too much! He's just a bit of a speed freak! :clap:

I reckon Max knew exactly where he wanted to be & what he wanted to do from the set to, and he didn't need to expend too much effort in making his preferences known - I'd guess your new companion will very quickly let you know too Darren! :thumbup:

UtahPete
04-15-2019, 12:40 PM
Thank you Highwayman. After doing my homework and getting advice, I am sold on the Kuryakyn Pet Palace Carrier. Thanks again for the advice.

I think that's your best solution, if you can get them in England.https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Performance-Heavy-Motorcycle-Carrier/dp/B073FSDS7Q/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=267898066929&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9029924&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13117245790829080640&hvtargid=aud-649564993678%3Akwd-451388252056&keywords=kuryakyn+pet+carrier&qid=1555349944&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Raprider
04-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Cute littel Frenchie

I always wished I could take Kaos with me on road trips. But he ( they all were ) just a little to big------- see avatair on the left.
Lew L

Lew...I'd love to see your GD on your Spyder :clap:
Our Whippet, Jenny Latte, was dressed for the part, but alas, gone before the Spyder arrived.

Pallidus Aranea
04-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Darren,
The Kuryakyn Palace is a must. While ryding through the Dales don't forget to protect those eyes. We have used both Rex Specs (https://www.rexspecs.com) and Doggles (https://woof.doggles.com). We also had leather bomber helmet for our four-legged ryder.

Just as a side note - when looking at your signature I was missing Yorkshire. I lived in Lindley (Otley) for quite a while.

Enjoy the road with you new companion.

Lew L
04-15-2019, 03:10 PM
Lew...I'd love to see your GD on your Spyder :clap:
Our Whippet, Jenny Latte, was dressed for the part, but alas, gone before the Spyder arrived.

Well I would have loved to see Kaos on the :spyder2: nojoke. One of our other Danes was very lean and deep chested. Thin head and longish snout. He was a very fast Dane and loved to out sprint just about everything. My condolences on Jenny. They just need to live much longer.

" If dogs don't go to Heaven --- then I want to go where they go"

Lew L

robhowen
04-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Kuryakin and Saddlemen have offerings. You can find both at dealers, accessory stores, and online via Amazon.
Rob

wyliec
04-15-2019, 07:58 PM
Dog back pack carriers or pouches would be a last resort due to wind noise which could have an affect on their hearing. That is one of the reasons I stopped taking our second Yorkie with us.

Have a great time with your pup with whatever you choose regarding the carrier.

dondje
04-16-2019, 11:08 AM
I guess " large dog" is the operative term here. Searched a bunch of sites and " large dog" to them means70 to 90 lbs. Lew L

Used to have malamutes with the males pushing 200LBS and females about 150LBS. Never took any of them for a motorcycle ride.

One day I was in a road side rest area. Biker pulled in beside me with a pair of standard sized huskies in a trailer behind his ride. He gets out a water bottle and starts filling bowls. I had my motorhome with horses and trailer in tow and was out feeding and watering the horses. I said to him that it looks like we both spent the money on a trailer so we could bring our pets along - only size was the difference (price too, but didn't say that)!

Making a dog carrier that will rest on a rack. Have more RV sized dogs now that could go for a Spyder ride someday.

Regards,

Don

Tracy37
07-26-2019, 05:22 AM
Oh this is an awesome thread. My mom is 70 and loves my spyder. She is also legally blind and will hopefully be getting a seeing eye dog soon. I kept joking that we should get a trailer for the dog so it can come to but now Im gonna actually look into it. Does anyone know a company that makes those bigger dog trailers? For a lab?

cruisinTX
07-27-2019, 06:35 AM
We once trained a Yorkie to sit in a tank bag on the motorcycles. I don't know how big you fur buddy will get, but seems having him/her up front like that would be preferable over them behind you. Either way though, I would start getting your pet used to what ever device you choose in the house first and gradually transition to being on the Spyder, then a running Spyder sitting still and finally short rides initially and making longer rides each time until you are certain they are happy with the situation.

In training Teddy (the Yorkie) we started out by teaching him to stay in the tank bag sitting in the living room floor and would extend the time with each session until he would obediently sit in the bag for up to an hour while we watched TV. This required lots of patience and lots of treats. He eventually got it. Next we went through a similar process to get him used to the doggles (needed to protect their eyes from wind damage). Once he was tolerant of the bag and doggles, I would sit him on one of the bikes in the bag and gently rock it around a little to get him used to leaning and not going into full panic mode resulting in an emergency exit. It only took a few sessions like that before I would start and run the engine for just a couple of minutes for a few more sessions. By the time I decided to actually take him for a ride of about five minutes, he was a happy camper at getting to go.

As a side note; I did install small diameter bungee cords in the bottom of the bag that were then attached to a D-ring on the bottom of his harness for extra insurance against him jumping out. They were just long enough to allow him to stand, but that was it. He eventually got to go on rides of several hundred miles over two or three days and seemed to love every minute of it.

Good luck and good on you for wanting your pet to be with you more.

Darren111
07-27-2019, 09:19 AM
I did buy Kurakyn Pet Palace and trialled it out with Teddy on the Spyder (beforehand introduced him slowly to sounds of Spyder etc) Teddy liked it, but I wasn't so sure after a period of time, I prefer him being in front of me. I have now bought a PoochPouch front carrier from Outward Hound. Getting him used to sitting inside it with doggles at home before slowly introducing him to the Spyder again. Teddy is a 4 month old Miniature Poodle.

Darren111
07-27-2019, 09:34 AM
Teddy now uses Kurakyn Pet Palace has a play den at home. Attached pictures of Teddy in Kurakyn Pet Palace on Spyder.

Plarimer
06-07-2021, 10:53 AM
Rode inside my motorcycle jacket when I first got him. At first he would just stay inside and then after a while it started poking his head out. Now Da Murph just rides like a regular passenger. If I have to stop a little fast he just puts his head in my back. Never had a problem. Well that’s not necessarily true because in the winter time he’ll jump on the bike now the trike and wine because he can’t go for a ride. So I’ll start it up and let it run for about 10 minutes and that seems to satisfy him. Kind a like taking a fussy baby for a car ride.

UtahPete
06-07-2021, 01:08 PM
Here's thanking Luvs2Ride, Haikanko, Lew L and Deanna777 for your comments. Peter Aawen loving the advice and recommendation you have given, I will certainly do my homework on the Kuryakin. Peter did you wait till your dog was an adult before taking her out for rides or did you take her out when she was a puppy? I want to make sure my dog will be happy with rides out and just wondering whether to take her out whilst she is a puppy so that she can get used to it and find out if she will like it or not.

I would start them out on the bike as soon as possible after toilet training.

wyliec
06-07-2021, 02:40 PM
I would start them out on the bike as soon as possible after toilet training.

Dogs, unlike humans, don't go to the bathroom where they sleep, in this case a dog carrier or pouch. If they do go to the bathroom where they sleep, they are more than likely sick.