PDA

View Full Version : Stebel Nautilus horn install 2008 Spyder RS

MoDZuKi
04-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Hi All.. This has probably been done- BUT I thought I would post my version of adding a Stebel Nautilus horn on my 2008 RS. I found the stock horn a bit wimpy and no one even bothers to look up from their darn cell phones! So I figured the Stebel may make them take notice.
Very simple install just behind the power panel fuse box.. the sound horns point toward the Left "nostril" and the wheel well. Simple bracket using a 1" U bolt and a 5" steel strap from hardware store (the U bolt matched the holes in the bracket) Had to ream out the top hole for the Stebel mount bolt. Swapped the nuts on the U bolt to lock nuts. The U bolt fits the frame rail perfectly.
Wired right back to the battery- Relay is where the old horn used to be.
Its LOUD.. Hopefully will keep things a bit safer and heard! After this install I was advided the Stebel needs the compressor vertically mounted.. so I reworked the mount- same location same sound!
Cheers
Dave

RICZ
04-11-2019, 10:08 PM
I'm wanting to do the same thing to mu F3L, but I can't locate where the OEM horn is located. If any F3L owner is lurking, would you please enlighten me? And is there a relay on the horn circuit?

Chupaca
04-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Should work well there. The oem does sound wimpy at best. :thumbup:

MoDZuKi
04-12-2019, 08:31 AM
It’s just one horn so no relay required as not a lot of load. Mine was located under left nostril panel. Toot the horn and listen and feel vibrations to locate it? A relay in needed for sure on the Stebel.

MoDZuKi
04-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Looks like the horn on the F3 is on right side under A arm need to take bottom cover off. Lots of Yourube vids showing where. Cheers

JKMSPYDER
04-12-2019, 08:47 AM
I have an F3-S and the factory horn is located on the right side. I installed a Bad Boy horn from Spyderpops and it went in on the left side. I connected to the same wiring as the factory horn. It was a pretty easy install.

Zoot
04-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Love the Nautilus. I put one on my V-Strom a few years ago. Roughly a cross between a diesel locomotive and a semi truck.

Just take my word for it... don't test fire it in the garage.

RICZ
04-12-2019, 10:43 AM
I have one one the cage, plus one of the OEM trumpet horns. The dual tone is very penetrating and gets immediate attention.

oldgoat
04-12-2019, 11:43 AM
It’s just one horn so no relay required as not a lot of load. Mine was located under left nostril panel. Toot the horn and listen and feel vibrations to locate it? A relay in needed for sure on the Stebel.

I installed my Stebel there as well on my '08 and I did use a relay.

CA Railwhale
04-12-2019, 03:19 PM
It's probably the same place as a standard F3, right side, bottom of the bike near the forward peg. I had to buy the service manual to find it when I replaced my horn.

RICZ
04-12-2019, 03:30 PM
A horn install will be the first electrical add-on and since there may be others, I will install a fuse block and run power to it from a relay. That way, everything I connect to the block will be relay + fuse protected and isolated from the bike's wiring.

MoDZuKi
04-12-2019, 05:08 PM
So an UPDATE! I was advised the Stebel needs to have the compressor mounted as vertical as possible!. Since I mounted it horizontal- I rejigged the mount and added a longer mount arm (fancy bending) so its now pointed down toward the wheel well in the same corner!basically rotated it 180 degrees and back 90.
Still fits well.. I'll update the pics.170858

RICZ
04-12-2019, 08:51 PM
I ordered this 6 terminal fuse block from Banggood.com for 1/4 the price of a lower quality one that O'Reilly's had. It will mount under the right side fuse box in the frunk area. I'll wire it per post #11. More after the fuse block arrives.
https://www.banggood.com/DC12V24V32V-10Way-Car-Boat-Automotive-Blade-Fuse-Box-Block-Holder-LED-Warning-p-1139465.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN