PDA

View Full Version : Stability at Freeway Speed?

Spokane2303
04-10-2019, 09:19 AM
How stable is a F3 at highway speed?

I recently had training on one; but, never had the chance to exceed 30 mph.

So I'm curious how stable or squirrelly it might be at 0-75 mph?

jcthorne
04-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Properly aligned and with high quality tires, they are VERY stable at highway speeds and above. One finger easy....

osj3
04-10-2019, 09:26 AM
rock solid. Granted I do have Elka Shocks, belt tensioner and a sway bar which i feel improved my ride at both low and high speeds

starrider60
04-10-2019, 09:38 AM
I cruise at 70+ on my 2017 RTS with ease. Also pull a Rollahome camper at 70. Spyder is a very stable and capable machine for this 75 year old with 60+ years riding under my belt

Pirate looks at --
04-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Would suggest that you install the Baja Ron Swaybar, and have the unit laser aligned, for complete peace of mind, BUT, that sucker will still be very solid. With the above mentioned improvements you will have a very easy time on the highway!

BajaRon
04-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Rock solid at speeds well above the legal limit. Don't ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

Bob204bc
04-10-2019, 09:44 AM
I have found it to be very stable but you have to keep a relaxed grip on the handlebars. I have found that just like a dirt bike it is more stable if you stay loose. If you tighten your grip you will induce instability. In small planes it is a PIO (pilot induced ocillation).

Bob Denman
04-10-2019, 09:53 AM
With more than a couple of 600 mile days at highway speeds: they'll be steadier than you are! :2thumbs:
Just keep a light grip on the bars, and you've got nothing to worry about.

bushrat
04-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Our 2017 F3L is pretty much a 'stock' vehicle, with only slight modifications to seat - no added sway bar, belt tensioner, etc. We ride two-up about 80% of the time. Mostly, we prefer back country, 'secondary' highway cruising averaging probably 50 mph. However, we have ridden on occasion on Interstate highways as high as 75 mph. I have been solo as high as 80-85 mph for some modest length periods, moving in traffic, passing semis, etc. Never have sensed any instability or lack of solid road feel. Don't really enjoy riding this way much; don't particularly like the 'vulnerability'. Country sight-seeing is much more fun. But I have never doubted the reliability of the Spyder or its ability to handle extra speed on decent pavement. Would never have twisted the throttle in the first place had I felt any qualms.

bushrat
04-10-2019, 10:06 AM
Our 2017 F3L is pretty much a 'stock' vehicle, with only slight modifications to seat - no added sway bar, belt tensioner, etc. We ride two-up about 80% of the time. Mostly, we prefer back country, 'secondary' highway cruising averaging probably 50 mph. However, we have ridden on occasion on Interstate highways as high as 75 mph. I have been solo as high as 80-85 mph for some modest length periods, moving in traffic, passing semis, etc. Never have sensed any instability or lack of solid road feel. Don't really enjoy riding this way much; don't particularly like the 'vulnerability'. Country sight-seeing is much more fun. But I have never doubted the reliability of the Spyder or its ability to handle extra speed on decent pavement. Would never have twisted the throttle in the first place had I felt any qualms.

Boilermaker
04-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Very stable. I never have seen the need for laser alignment for both of mine, but the sway bar does help with buffeting and changing road conditions at higher speeds. But just like a car there can be unexpected events occur (deer, chuckholes, and crazy drivers come to mind). Just remember you are not afforded the extra protection that a car gives and to allow for these events by providing extra following distance for cars in front and awareness of those around you and how they are driving. I will adjust my speed to try to avoid those circumstances. Getting there safe is much more important than getting there fast...or not at all.

ARtraveler
04-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Seat time and a few hundred miles....you will like it a lot. :yes:

Chupaca
04-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Box stock off the showroom floor they are very steady and the one needing the adjustment is the driver if new to this kind of vehicle. The modifications come after as you get better and feel the need for speed...:roflblack: Now when you get yours make sure the dealer aligns it properly and if they do not have the laser system take it to someone that does. :thumbup:

CA Railwhale
04-10-2019, 12:29 PM
I run my 2015 F3 at traffic speeds, usually between eighty and ninety and it's rock solid with either one or two people aboard. No alignment, no away bar, the only issue I have is belt vibration at about fifty five.

Fat Baxter
04-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Once I replaced the crappy Kendas on the front with Kuhmos, my Spyder became very settled on all roads. Complete change in temperament and handling.

RazzleH
04-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Properly aligned and with high quality tires, they are VERY stable at highway speeds and above. One finger easy....

Well said jcthorne. Start with correct wheel alignment. All else flows from there. If wheel alignment isn't correct riders will never be satisfied with the stability.

canamjhb
04-11-2019, 10:50 PM
Properly set up and with capable tires there are no stability issues. Today I passed 2 trucks on a 2 lane, less the perfect road. I thought there was only one truck at first until I began my pass. I had to kick it up due to limited safe distance. I passed them both while hitting 90.....all while pulling my RT622 trailer. At no time did I feel any instability. Mine is an RTL but I think the F3 and RT are equally capable..... Jim

Jeffmal
04-16-2019, 08:25 AM
Did the Elka shocks help with high speed jitters in the wind?
Which Elkas did you go with?

Pirate looks at --
04-16-2019, 08:31 AM
Did the Elka shocks help with high speed jitters in the wind?
Which Elkas did you go with?

Interesting the alignment and Swaybar should have corrected that!