PDA

View Full Version : Braking issue

daddydarko
06-23-2009, 10:52 AM
With the trailer in tow, anytime I brake abrubtly, the Spyder goes into limp mode and says to ABS Check DPS. If I power off for 60 seconds or so, all is well.

Suggestions other than "don't stop abruptly"? :)

Bersquack
06-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Don't tow a trailer? :roflblack:

ptoemmes
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Totally out of my a$$, but I figure it probably is not electrical assuming there are trailer lights wired into the OEM harness.

So...you say only when "abrubtly" maybe the mass of the trailer is causing a sudden shift-slip of the rear wheel setting off the nanny?

Pete

SpyderGirl
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
You're scaring me out of pulling a trailer man.... that's all I can say. If you find out what it is, please share. I don't want any issues on our trip in September.

ataDude
06-23-2009, 03:40 PM
With the trailer in tow, anytime I brake abrubtly, the Spyder goes into limp mode and says to ABS Check DPS. If I power off for 60 seconds or so, all is well.

Does your trailer have LEDs or incandescent lights? If incandescents, they are probably drawing too much amperage and throwing a code. LEDs shouldn't draw enough to matter. The system checks for too much... or too little... amperage draw.

There are too many folks pulling trailers (without these problems) for it to be a true braking problem. As we seen a number of times, one fault/error can cause a cascading effect with other errors "piling" on.

Easy way to check.... disconnect the trailer wiring from the bike and do a test ride on a deserted street or parking lot.

tatt2r
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM

not sure but maybe there is too much draw on brake lights .... i know magicman told me why it was so difficult to change lights to LED maybe try and disconnect power to trailer then take it for a ride

irish2themax
06-23-2009, 04:19 PM
I was getting VSS Fault and Check DPS messages. I couldn't even Limp. Turned out my electronic cruise control and my NMN HID head/fog lights (which my dealer installed) were interfering with the computer program. Depending on how difficult it is, you may want to return your Spyder to stock condition and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you know that one or more of your trailer's electrical connections is causing the problem. I'd hate to see you beak down in the middle of a long trip like I did.

jnt
06-23-2009, 05:41 PM
On the brake light draw on the system - you did use an isolator relay, didn't you? If not, I suggest that as a first step.

If so, the disconnect electrical and do a hard stop on a deserted street sounds like a good next step. Lamont pulls a trailer a lot, and so far as I know has no problems in that area.

Longlegs
06-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Well I dont see how the electical system can determine how hard you are braking as far as the lighting circuit is concerned. When the lights come on the amp draw will be the same no matter how hard or light you brake. Have you checked the brake fluid resivoir to make sure it is full?

ataDude
06-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Sooooooooooooo.... what happened with the brakes? I noted on another thread you're out traveling so there must have been a fix.

M2Wild
06-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Sooooooooooooo.... what happened with the brakes? I noted on another thread you're out traveling so there must have been a fix.

Either that or lots of restarts?:shocked: Might just be too much weight / load on the breaking system.

daddydarko
06-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Talked to another biker who thinks it's weight distribution. He suggests I put more of the weight on the tongue. I have gotten around the problem by leaving a lot of space between me and the vehicle in front of me (something I should do anyway).

My trailer is loaded down and I'm riding 2up. Also, I'm driving up some steep mountain roads. I think I'm asking a lot of the :spyder2:.

ataDude
06-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Talked to another biker who thinks it's weight distribution. He suggests I put more of the weight on the tongue. I have gotten around the problem by leaving a lot of space between me and the vehicle in front of me (something I should do anyway).

My trailer is loaded down and I'm riding 2up. Also, I'm driving up some steep mountain roads. I think I'm asking a lot of the :spyder2:.

Be careful and have fun! Sounds like a nice, off-the-cuff trip. :2thumbs:

quantumleap39
06-25-2009, 01:23 PM
becarefull!!!!!!! I just posted this exact same thing. my spyder has been in the shop now since last thursday with this issue. They are working with BRP to find out why. all fluids and updates are full and done. I dont tow a trailer either. I ride single seater. They are leaning towards one or 2 of the computers being bad.:dontknow::gaah: The dealer also stated they had 3 other spyders with this same symptom in for service!

quantumleap39
06-27-2009, 05:54 PM
resolved! I have my spyder back today. There was a code up date, brake fluid up date, brakes bled, new brake covers installed, a DPS update and a few other things that went over my head. They told me it was not a single problem that caused it but a mix of multiple issues / updates that causes this problem. They also stated pulling a trailer will NOT cause this to happen. :ohyea:

daddydarko
06-27-2009, 07:57 PM
resolved! I have my spyder back today. There was a code up date, brake fluid up date, brakes bled, new brake covers installed, a DPS update and a few other things that went over my head. They told me it was not a single problem that caused it but a mix of multiple issues / updates that causes this problem. They also stated pulling a trailer will NOT cause this to happen. :ohyea:

Thank you. I'm scheduling a visit at the dealer on Monday.