PDA

View Full Version : Washing Your Spyder....

newbert
04-09-2019, 02:07 PM
Just wondering whether any of you wash your Spyder at one of those self-service car washes? If so, is there anything to avoid or be careful of (other than keeping the seat dry so that you can drive off in comfort)?

Thanks!

ARtraveler
04-09-2019, 02:09 PM
Keep the high pressure stuff off of the gauges and buttons. Water in those areas can cause electrical issues.

LeftCoast
04-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Bucket and a sponge for me and I still try to avoid the buttons and guages

Chupaca
04-09-2019, 02:28 PM
Most are high pressure and not that good for the spyder. As they are water proof it is more of a rain type and therefore you should not spray up under things, get close and best scrub with a brush or rag rather than power wash things off. I would stay back about 2 feet with the nozzle . Keep clear ofcontrols and electrical connections.... Things to consider but know many that do use the car wash....:thumbup:

RICZ
04-09-2019, 02:40 PM
What to avoid? Those pressure washes! They drive soap and water into areas where you don't want it and stays to do its dirty work. Best to do a bucket wash and avoid getting switch gear and electricals wet. I wipe those with a damp cloth, then dry with a towel.
S-100 is fantastic stuff - spray on, rinse off. But use it only on wheels and running gear as it requires a lot of rinsing. I never hand washed a MC engine, just used S-100, rinsed, then blow dried with a leaf blower. They always looked like new - they better, I'm an OCD MC guy!

canamjhb
04-09-2019, 04:48 PM
I always took my Can Am Outlander and Commander to the car wash. Those vehicles are made for mud and water (to a point). But they still didn't want to have pressure washers sprayed directly at electricals and drive seals, etc. I would not take my Spyder to a high pressure wash. I use a spray bottle of water and micro cloths. When heavily soiled, I have occasionally used a hose and soft car wash brush but I am still a wuss with water around electricals..... Probably overly protective but that's just me..... Jim

tibadoe
04-09-2019, 04:52 PM
I like to avoid the high pressure wash. Prefer the bucket and sponge method.

newbert
04-09-2019, 04:58 PM
What to avoid? Those pressure washes! They drive soap and water into areas where you don't want it and stays to do its dirty work. Best to do a bucket wash and avoid getting switch gear and electricals wet. I wipe those with a damp cloth, then dry with a towel.
S-100 is fantastic stuff - spray on, rinse off. But use it only on wheels and running gear as it requires a lot of rinsing. I never hand washed a MC engine, just used S-100, rinsed, then blow dried with a leaf blower. They always looked like new - they better, I'm an OCD MC guy!

Thanks guys! Never heard of S-100 so I did some googling and Youtubing. I think I'll give it a try, but have one or two questions first:

1. What do you mean by "running gear"?
2. Can this be used on surfaces with decals (ie - "WrapMySpyder" stuff)?
3. When you rinse, do you use a simple garden hose or something more high pressure?

I'm a lazy old guy, who can't get down low easily anymore, so "spray on, rinse off and blow dry to take care of the worst of it" sounds great to me!

Thanks!

Purple Guy
04-09-2019, 05:24 PM
I for one have a pressure washer and when on the road use a pressure washer.
The trick is to use a little common sense when using one.
I never get closer than 1.5 - 2 feet, never spray directly onto the cluster or hand controls.
Been riding a Spyder for 7 years and haven't had a problem...
As for the wet seat, I have a rain cover from Ultimate seats. Put it on before washing and ride away with a dry bum! :D

spyderider1
04-09-2019, 05:30 PM
S-100 is fantastic stuff - spray on, rinse off. But use it only on wheels and running gear as it requires a lot of rinsing.

I think he's referring to the lower drive stuff like the sprockets, belt, brakes, etc. There gets to be quite a bit of grime on those components, especially brake dust.

bmccaffrey
04-09-2019, 06:43 PM
So what do we do when riding in the rain at 65 mph?: Avoid gauges and buttons:roflblack::roflblack:

Deanna777
04-09-2019, 07:09 PM
Avoid the high pressure washer .

I use soap and water. Then I use Lamont's detailer.

Deanna

Bfromla
04-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys! Never heard of S-100 so I did some googling and Youtubing. I think I'll give it a try, but have one or two questions first:

1. What do you mean by "running gear"?
2. Can this be used on surfaces with decals (ie - "WrapMySpyder" stuff)?
3. When you rinse, do you use a simple garden hose or something more high pressure?

I'm a lazy old guy, who can't get down low easily anymore, so "spray on, rinse off and blow dry to take care of the worst of it" sounds great to me!

Thanks!
Also good :
https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?116916-Fast-Wax-1

canamjhb
04-09-2019, 08:10 PM
So what do we do when riding in the rain at 65 mph?: Avoid gauges and buttons:roflblack::roflblack:

I don't think running in the rain at ANY speed will come close to the 1000-1500 PSI that self serve car washes generate..... And I personally believe that pressure has the ability to drive dirt into places where we don't want it in addition to compromising weather proof seals..... But, to each his own..... Jim

missouriboy
04-09-2019, 08:34 PM
For one direct answer to your direct question: REMOVE THE IGNITION KEY. Whether high pressure or low pressure, flowing water can run down the key into the ignition switch. Pull that key and let the little inside flap close the keyhole first.

My dealer uses pressure wash, and didn't pull the key... I ended up waiting 8 days for replacement DSS stuff before it would run again! (Covered by warranty, though.)

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-09-2019, 08:51 PM
Car wash is all I ever use. I like to wash it every few weeks whether it needs it or not! Just keep the nozzle back away from the dash. Take the key out first! You don't have to back away very far before the actual pressure of the water drops to safe levels. Just don't point the nozzle directly at the gap under the frunk and trunk lids or you will push soapy water into them! I wash the seat. Doesn't take much to dry it off, and a little water on the back of my pants never hurt anything! I usually give the Spyder an overall spray with high pressure wash, then some of the super cleaner cycle like on tires, and then use the soap brush to rub everything down. An overall rinse followed sometimes by the wax cycle finishes it off.

I own my Spyder to ride and enjoy, not show off. Bug residue, dirt, dust, a few scratches, are all par for the course.

A guy told me one time, "I can look at your shoes and tell you what your car looks like!" You know, I think he's right!

robhowen
04-09-2019, 11:46 PM
All the time and I use Merlin's Blood on my wheels. I'm sensible with the spray and keep a reasonable distance and avoid electronics and the seat. My self-serve spray wash has a blow dryer I used followed by a towel on the harder to get to spots. Works well!

Rob

Just wondering whether any of you wash your Spyder at one of those self-service car washes?

Little Blue
04-10-2019, 09:09 AM
I use bucket of mild soapy water and a soft cloth. Then a leaf blower to dry.....:thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
04-10-2019, 09:22 AM
We use nothing but soft towels soaked in hot water. Drape then all over the motorcycle and let them soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Then wipe the surface with those same towels and dry one section at a time. We the. Detail wit( Lamonster’s Black Diamond Detailer. We do this after every ryde!

easysuper
04-11-2019, 10:07 AM
At home I use a bucket and soapy water, rinse well and dry of with micro-cloths then a spray and wax. On the road if they are really dirty I drive to the nearest car wash and use the pressure sprayer, just use some common sense and stay back and make sure you pull the key. They can get really dirty on the road trips especial y in the spring when you are going over mountain passes with a lot of cinder buildup and a car wash does a great job on removing it. With over 100,000 miles on our Spyders we have never had a issue from washing them, just be careful around the electronics.

asp125
04-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Mostly soap and bucket and low pressure spray to rinse. On the rare occasions when it's really grimy I try to keep the high pressure spray below the level of the tires. In addition to the instrument cluster, you want to spray tangentially to any air intakes and ducts; you don't want high pressure water going up into the intake or exhaust or up into the body cavity where it could pool.

pegasus1300
04-11-2019, 02:49 PM
I have been washing bikes at car washes for over 50 years. If you don't pull back on the wand trigger you get a nice soft spray. Not strong enough to blow past a seal. As to the gauges I don't do that part of the Spyder at the car wash, I do wash that by hand after the rest is done. Because of all the brake dust and grime I do spray Merlin's Blood on the wheels before I hit them with the wand.

FalconAF
04-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Follow-up question to all the great advice above. On my new 2018 RT Limited, how the heck do you get the bug crud cleaned from between the inside of the windshield and front of the black frame where the windshield is attached to it (bottom of the windshield)? The gap between the windshield and the frame is super narrow and I can't fit a finger between it. I can't fit a toothbrush between it. The rest of my Spyder gets washed after every ride, but I still have dried bug guts from 2 weeks ago on the inside of the windscreen and the black windscreen frame in the above places. There's probably a simple answer I haven't thought of yet, but for now... :dontknow:

bmccaffrey
04-11-2019, 06:35 PM
Well on my washer i cab adjust pressure. Haven't seen to many that you can't

bluewoo
04-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Warm soapy water or a mixture of hydrogen peroxide.

canamjhb
04-11-2019, 10:28 PM
Follow-up question to all the great advice above. On my new 2018 RT Limited, how the heck do you get the bug crud cleaned from between the inside of the windshield and front of the black frame where the windshield is attached to it (bottom of the windshield)? The gap between the windshield and the frame is super narrow and I can't fit a finger between it. I can't fit a toothbrush between it. The rest of my Spyder gets washed after every ride, but I still have dried bug guts from 2 weeks ago on the inside of the windscreen and the black windscreen frame in the above places. There's probably a simple answer I haven't thought of yet, but for now... :dontknow:

Moist microfiber cloth threaded into the gaps and pulled back and forth..... Jim

FalconAF
04-12-2019, 10:05 PM
Moist microfiber cloth threaded into the gaps and pulled back and forth..... Jim

OK, that was simple. Worked fine. Thanks. :banghead:

Geep
04-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Bugs are so bad here, a pressure wash for the front end is mandatory. I have done this for 30 plus years on motorcycles, never an issue other than K&N exposed air filters aka HD and Yamaha Roadstars. A spray bottle with a fabric softener sheet in it really softens up bug internals...then pressure wash