PDA

View Full Version : Is F3 two-up riding or Solo ?

donhy
04-09-2019, 11:58 AM
I found this BRP brochure and the only bike listed as two-up was the RT all F3's are listed as solo. Just sold my RS to go to F3 for a more comfortable ride for a passenger. I'm hoping someone that made the transition will give me some feedback before I pull a trigger on a F3S. From previous posts sounds like rear factory shock is junk which an upgrade will fix that. I can't find a dealer that will let me go for a test ride with my wife.

ARtraveler
04-09-2019, 12:04 PM
Many on here do ride two up on the F3. The T and the L versions are best for that. RT is the way to go for longer trips. You and your passenger will get that GW "couch" feel.

donhy
04-09-2019, 12:08 PM

donhy
04-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Many on here do ride two up on the F3. The T and the L versions are best for that. RT is the way to go for longer trips. You and your passenger will get that GW "couch" feel.

Thanks, I'm not looking for that "couch feel" or trunk and all those extras just more comfort for the passenger without me loosing all the fun. So just a confirmation that F3 is better than RS from a passenger perspective.

Chupaca
04-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Either way but would depend on the type of ryding you have planned as the F3, even the Limited are not as well suited for the long traveling double up. Driver is not an issue but a test ryde for the passenger would help them at least....:thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Thanks, I'm not looking for that "couch feel" or trunk and all those extras just more comfort for the passenger without me loosing all the fun. So just a confirmation that F3 is better than RS from a passenger perspective.

The F3 will be a better two up ride than the RS. :bowdown:

south GA Farm Boy
04-09-2019, 01:29 PM
RTL riding verses F3L riding! I had two RT Limited(2013 and 2016) in a row. In 2018, I moved on to a 2018 F3 Limited and I am happy with my ride except for the problems with the left and right hand handlebar modules problems! My wife's seat may not be as comfortable, but mine is 3 times better! I sit down in the Spyder with my feet out in front of me like a Harley, and it corners much better! I think the rear shock is computer controlled on the Limited edition, so it resets for the additional weight of my wife! The reason I left the RT Limited was that my right hip got out of joint almost ever time I rode them! No, don't need a hip replacement, just the way your feet are more up under you and turned down! YES, I put foot pegs on it, but still had to put on the brake with that right foot! This is my answer to the difference between the two Spyders, and others will shoot down everything I said, but I have to ride what I can at my age 74! Be sure and get the F3 Limited if your wife is going to ride two up with you, just my two cents!

blacklightning
04-09-2019, 04:42 PM
I saw your post on selling the RSS and getting a F3S. The one thing I was going to mention is that it would be best to go ahead and get a 2up shock for the F3S. With that, you should be good. There was one on one of the forums for $50 (2 up shock). That was a great price. If I come across it again, I will post a link to it. Good luck with your F3S.
I had a RT, a RSS, and now a F3T. I wanted the F3T instead of the F3S, so that I would have a little more storage. The frunk on the F3 series trikes is a joke. You will have less storage than you did on you RSS. When it comes to preference, I do not miss the RT at all. But I do have days where I miss my RSS.

donhy
04-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Yea frunk space does suck big time, i was so used to my rss storage space, big enough for two 3/4 helmets and big enough for groceries. The only reason I'm not considering F3T is because of the side bags i like the clean look when i dont need the extra storage so I was thinking of detachable sode bags for F3, thanks everyone for their input⁹

MakoShark2
04-10-2019, 03:19 AM
F3S here since about 6 months, 70% of the time riding two up, all trips above 250mi.

The trike is totally capable for two up ride. Except of course the rear shock which is a joke. Not adjustable and very bouncy (the tire hits the wheel arch very often).
I've swapped mine almost after getting the Spyder for an adjustable unit from Shock Factory (French manufacturer, I'm located in Europe) which they will calibrate from factory to the desired weight.
The two-up option from BRP might do the job, but it's essencially the same shock as stock just with a stiffer spring.
Again not adjustable which was a no go for me as I do ride solo sometimes and adjusting differently gives me the same comfort and handling behavior riding on both situations.

MakoShark2
04-10-2019, 03:28 AM
The frunk is not that spacious but it will hold a good size modular helmet there.

Storage wise the SHAD side bags are the way to go. One of the reasons that made me choose the F3S over the F3T was the fact that the side cases of the T wheren't able to hold a full face helmet there.
Each SHAD case will hold a good size modular helmet with no problem. Very well built and designed, you won't even notice the mounts when you take the cases off.
Since I only carry the side bags on longer trips (let's about two or three times a year) this was the perfect solution for me.

Where you might have problems is for a top case mount. BRP or SHAD doesn't offer any and you'll have to look for third party solutions for this.

donhy
04-10-2019, 02:20 PM
The frunk is not that spacious but it will hold a good size modular helmet there.

Storage wise the SHAD side bags are the way to go. One of the reasons that made me choose the F3S over the F3T was the fact that the side cases of the T wheren't able to hold a full face helmet there.
Each SHAD case will hold a good size modular helmet with no problem. Very well built and designed, you won't even notice the mounts when you take the cases off.
Since I only carry the side bags on longer trips (let's about two or three times a year) this was the perfect solution for me.

Where you might have problems is for a top case mount. BRP or SHAD doesn't offer any and you'll have to look for third party solutions for this.
Thanks man for your comments, just gotta find a F3S now and start with the upgrades, rear shock and shad bags are the first items im going to purchase if the bike does not come with those already.

JS3535
04-10-2019, 06:31 PM
I’ll sell you mine for the right price!

donhy
04-10-2019, 06:34 PM
I’ll sell you mine for the right price!
I'll buy yours for the right price :). Are you in Canada ?

LifeLongRider
04-10-2019, 07:27 PM
I sit down in the Spyder with my feet out in front of me and it corners much better! Be sure and get the F3 Limited if your wife is going to ride two up with you, just my two cents!

:thumbup: I agree: I rode a 2018 RT Ltd for an extended time and then bought the F3 Ltd, much better seating position and much better overall driver comfort. Just my humble opinion.

new adventure
04-10-2019, 07:31 PM
We went from a 2012 RT to a 2017 F3S changed rear spring with a 2 up.Wife rides as passenger and prefer F3S.

3 wheeler
04-10-2019, 07:44 PM
Like others have said, just get the two up shock and the passenger back rest. I have both on my 2015 F3 S and I ride my wife on the back all the time, it works beautifully.

JS3535
04-10-2019, 07:51 PM
I'll buy yours for the right price :). Are you in Canada ?
California...can we be any further away?!?!?

donhy
04-11-2019, 08:29 PM
That is long way :) it will require couple of oil changes till I bring her home.

donhy
04-11-2019, 08:31 PM

I do like the rear trunk you got on your F3, what brand is that if you dont me asking ? Is it quick detach ?

JS3535
04-11-2019, 08:48 PM
I do like the rear trunk you got on your F3, what brand is that if you dont me asking ? Is it quick detach ?
It’s a Shad SH39. Matches the saddlebags perfectly (as it should because Shad makes them). It’s lockable and comes off in seconds just like the saddlesbags.

donhy
04-11-2019, 08:52 PM
It’s a Shad SH39. Matches the saddlebags perfectly (as it should because Shad makes them). It’s lockable and comes off in seconds just like the saddlesbags.

Do they make mounting brackets for F3 or you have it custom made ?

CA Railwhale
04-12-2019, 03:26 PM
I let my wife talk me into trying the two up shock and was very surprised that it worked for us. I fully expected to buy one, then have to spring for the aftermarket shock when it didn't work.

donhy
04-12-2019, 04:20 PM
I let my wife talk me into trying the two up shock and was very surprised that it worked for us. I fully expected to buy one, then have to spring for the aftermarket shock when it didn't work.

Im glad to hear this, that was my plan try the two up brp shock and if it doesnt work go to Elka. Going to pick-up an f3S tomorrow.

donhy
04-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Happy owner of a new to me 2015 F3S. Hope i can control myself and not go crazy on upgrades like I did with my RSS.

Steamer
04-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Has anyone on this thread added OEM passenger arm rests to a F3. Mine is a 2015. I added a trailer and Elka shocks to accommodate storage and better handling.