PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Seat, Passenger Peg Extensions

Director
06-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Yesterday, I took a vacation day and my wife Gail and I rode up to Uxbridge Motorsports Marine, where my new comfort seat and BRP passenger footpeg extensions were installed. These are both really nice, high-quality items which truly enhance the ride. I found the new seat broader, flatter, and more supportive than the stock one, although I really did not mind the stock saddle either. The seat skin fits on the new seat as well. I had no idea it would, but I am very pleased that it did, since that allows me to keep the custom red stitching that looks so nice.
Gail liked the new seat and found the footpeg extensions do allow her to stretch her legs out quite a bit more, so the ride is substantially more comfortable for her too.
All in all, a couple of good additions! :yes:

Cheers,

Bruce

nudle
06-23-2009, 10:26 AM
:2thumbs: Pick my new comfort seat up tomorrow.

Director
06-23-2009, 10:38 AM
:2thumbs: Pick my new comfort seat up tomorrow.

I think you'll love it, Bob! :thumbup:

sabunim5
06-23-2009, 01:19 PM
:congrats: on the new mods Bruce. Gail should be comfortable for the long haul now. Just have her be careful on the right side so she doesn't melt her boot like Jan did. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9516&highlight=melted

Director
06-23-2009, 01:29 PM
:congrats: on the new mods Bruce. Gail should be comfortable for the long haul now. Just have her be careful on the right side so she doesn't melt her boot like Jan did. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9516&highlight=melted

Good advice, Steven. Thanks. I remember seeing that post now. I will be sure to mention that to Gail.

Cheers,

Bruce

jeuchler
06-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Yesterday, I took a vacation day and my wife Gail and I rode up to Uxbridge Motorsports Marine, where my new comfort seat and BRP passenger footpeg extensions were installed. These are both really nice, high-quality items which truly enhance the ride. I found the new seat broader, flatter, and more supportive than the stock one, although I really did not mind the stock saddle either. The seat skin fits on the new seat as well. I had no idea it would, but I am very pleased that it did, since that allows me to keep the custom red stitching that looks so nice.
Gail liked the new seat and found the footpeg extensions do allow her to stretch her legs out quite a bit more, so the ride is substantially more comfortable for her too.
All in all, a couple of good additions! :yes:

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks for the review, Bruce.

Barb said it was a huge difference on the ride to & from Niagara with the peg extensions (we have tjfischers--same dimensions, similar design as the BRP ones). Gail will continue to appreciate the stretch.

Could I trouble you for some pics of the new seat with the old BRP seat skin you added?

I had been wondering if it would fit, but I just assumed if I got a new seat, the old seat's skin would have to be wasted (or sold).

Thanks again! :thumbup:

Director
06-23-2009, 03:12 PM

Barb said it was a huge difference on the ride to & from Niagara with the peg extensions (we have tjfischers--same dimensions, similar design as the BRP ones). Gail will continue to appreciate the stretch.

Could I trouble you for some pics of the new seat with the old BRP seat skin you added?

I had been wondering if it would fit, but I just assumed if I got a new seat, the old seat's skin would have to be wasted (or sold).

Hey John, no problem. I will take the pics after work today and post them this evening. I also assumed the skin would not fit, since the dimensions of the comfort seat looked quite different than the stock saddle from the photos I had seen.

Bruce

Greg H.
06-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Nice post, Bruce! :thumbup: I got to sample sitting on the new BRP seat at last weekend's Spyder Demo. And, presently, I am considering a touring saddle for the future. While the standard (w/seat skin) was pretty good on the Chattanooga trip, I did begin thinking a Corbin or this new BRP 'Comfort Saddle' might be a nice addition.

And, as the footpeg extensions go, I have had the Tony Fischer version for quite some time. My Wife really appreciates them, too! And, of course, with bags; extensions are a must if you're carrying a passenger.

spyryder
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey Bruce, nice extensions! Just wondering if you can still get to the parking brake easily?

Director
06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Nice post, Bruce! :thumbup: I got to sample sitting on the new BRP seat at last weekend's Spyder Demo. And, presently, I am considering a touring saddle for the future. While the standard (w/seat skin) was pretty good on the Chattanooga trip, I did begin thinking a Corbin or this new BRP 'Comfort Saddle' might be a nice addition.

And, as the footpeg extensions go, I have had the Tony Fischer version for quite some time. My Wife really appreciates them, too! And, of course, with bags; extensions are a must if you're carrying a passenger.

Thanks Greg. I think this will really work well as a touring seat. Quite broad, flat and supportive. You're right about the extensions being a necessity when you have hard bags.

Hey Bruce, nice extensions! Just wondering if you can still get to the parking brake easily?

Thanks! No problem getting to the parking brake. I do have to look down to make sure I am putting my heel on the brake, and not the peg, but it really isn't an issue. :thumbup:

DynamoBT
06-23-2009, 03:56 PM
So, if the seat skin fits, does the Mono Seat Cowl fit too?

fastfraser
06-23-2009, 04:38 PM
:2thumbs: Looks good Bruce. Sorry we couldn't hook up Mon.Count us in for Spyders in the Smokies. My wife Pam would very much like to talk to your wife. Girl stuff what to where, what to pack.Longest trip has only been 3 days total.

Longlegs
06-23-2009, 06:31 PM
The parking brake is kind of a pain to get to with the peg extensions. I find it best to unlock it before I get on.

Director
06-23-2009, 07:06 PM
So, if the seat skin fits, does the Mono Seat Cowl fit too?

Can't help you there Marilyn. I don't have a Mono Seat Cowl. :dontknow:

:2thumbs: Looks good Bruce. Sorry we couldn't hook up Mon.Count us in for Spyders in the Smokies. My wife Pam would very much like to talk to your wife. Girl stuff what to where, what to pack.Longest trip has only been 3 days total.

Thanks Dan. We can certainly arrange that!

Bruce

Director
06-23-2009, 07:14 PM

Here are a couple of pics of the new seat with the seat skin installed, John.

Bruce

Director
06-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the new seat with the seat skin installed, John.

Bruce

John and everybody, disregard what I said about the seat skin fitting. My dealer just contacted me to advise that in error, his technician put the seat skin over another new Spyder seat and installed it on my Spyder, but it was not the comfort seat intended for me. It was just another new stock seat.
Funny, the seat really felt different too. Maybe it's because it was new, or maybe just my overactive imagination!
I'll post again after I get the real comfort seat! :opps:

Bruce

sabunim5
06-24-2009, 01:28 PM
The placebo effect. Any time you spend that much money on a mod that is supposed to make your ride more comfortable; your ride is more comfortable.
:dontknow:

Director
06-24-2009, 01:45 PM
The placebo effect. Any time you spend that much money on a mod that is supposed to make your ride more comfortable; your ride is more comfortable.
:dontknow:

I think you are onto something there Steven! :D I am going back on Friday to have the real comfort seat installed. Hoping for great things from it now!:clap:

Bruce

nudle
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
:2thumbs: Hi Bruce I put mine on last night. I have the Givi set up like you do. Had to take the top rack off to get the old seat off.Installing the new seat was easy. Putting the rack back on was a pita(pain in the A@@). looks great and can't wait to do a longer ride on it.Walkins glen in 2weeks.

Director
06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
:2thumbs: Hi Bruce I put mine on last night. I have the Givi set up like you do. Had to take the top rack off to get the old seat off.Installing the new seat was easy. Putting the rack back on was a pita(pain in the A@@). looks great and can't wait to do a longer ride on it.Walkins glen in 2weeks.

That's great Bob! Have fun in Watkins Glen. I will be going down there for a few days in September for the vintage races. A buddy of mine has an early '60s Mini Cooper S that he has turned into a race car and he wants me to crew for him.

Bruce

Director
06-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I returned to Uxbridge Motorsports today to sort out the confusion over the seat, and the comfort seat was installed in jig time. I had a good chance to try out the new seat, although I was solo this time, so I can't really speak to the passenger accommodations, but from a driver's point of view, the seat is excellent. It is just as broad and supportive as I was led to believe it would be. Should be an excellent long-distance touring saddle. Here is a pic of it.

Cheers,

Bruce

jimclarkf1
06-26-2009, 09:14 PM
:clap:and the mixup, was great:ohyea:

Director
06-26-2009, 09:36 PM
:clap:and the mixup, was great:ohyea:
:roflblack::2thumbs:

dltang
07-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey Bruce,
Glad to see you are keeping the Producer happy. It looks great on Red October. We are planning a thumb ride with some time on Lake Huron in late August I believe. As we get closer with more details, I will keep you informed.

nudle
07-03-2009, 01:40 PM
:2thumbs:We are doing a thumb ride starting aug 15 from Mississauga route 23 to Bay city then to mackinaw city(2 nites)then to Marquette over to Deluth Wi down to Crandon, then to the sault , back to ontario and home.

dltang
07-03-2009, 06:04 PM
:2thumbs:We are doing a thumb ride starting aug 15 from Mississauga route 23 to Bay city then to mackinaw city(2 nites)then to Marquette over to Deluth Wi down to Crandon, then to the sault , back to ontario and home.

That is more than the thumb, that is half a mitten and then some....LOL I will still be in Kenya on the 15th of Aug. So I will miss you coming through. Have it great trip though, it sounds wonderful. I've been to a great part of it and it is very scenic.

Director
07-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Bruce,
Glad to see you are keeping the Producer happy. It looks great on Red October. We are planning a thumb ride with some time on Lake Huron in late August I believe. As we get closer with more details, I will keep you informed.

Happy wife, happy life! :D

Thanks Deb. Please do keep me informed. I have been away for the past week at our rented cottage in the north country, so I have been away from the computer. I take it you and Brian made it back home okay?

Cheers,

Bruce

DynamoBT
07-04-2009, 08:48 PM
You guys are funny with the "thumb" rides. I'll admit it took me a bit to figure out what you meant. But I figured it out. The "mitten" is key!!!!!

jeuchler
07-04-2009, 09:38 PM
...It is just as broad and supportive as I was led to believe it would be. Should be an excellent long-distance touring saddle...
Cheers,

Bruce

Ooooo. It's very pretty!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2716&d=1246066829

(Hmmm. This might be the next "last" mod...)

draboo
07-04-2009, 11:47 PM
The seat looks good with the red Spydie,Bruce. I installed one while in LA on Saturday afternoon. Me and Ruby had a very pleasant ride home compared to the ride down there.

We went to a kiddy parade today at Jomions and led it with 2 Spyders and 2 HDs. It was fun for the kids.

Hope everyone has a great and safe 4th.

Brad 'n' Pat.

Director
07-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Ooooo. It's very pretty!

(Hmmm. This might be the next "last" mod...)

For today, anyway, John...

The seat looks good with the red Spydie,Bruce. I installed one while in LA on Saturday afternoon. Me and Ruby had a very pleasant ride home compared to the ride down there.

We went to a kiddy parade today at Jomions and led it with 2 Spyders and 2 HDs. It was fun for the kids.

Hope everyone has a great and safe 4th.

Brad 'n' Pat.

Thanks Brad. Good to hear that the saddle worked out well on a trip of that length!

Cheers,

Bruce

j45p3r
07-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Do you ride aggressive? With the comfort seat, do you find it is easy enough to slide your butt to the inside to take a hard corner?

Spydr in KS
07-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Do you ride aggressive? With the comfort seat, do you find it is easy enough to slide your butt to the inside to take a hard corner?

:2thumbs: not as sticky as the stock, love the comfort seat!

Director
07-25-2009, 03:30 PM
:2thumbs: not as sticky as the stock, love the comfort seat!
:agree:

NancysToy
07-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Found it easier to slide, but a bit more difficult to actually shift my weight, since it is flatter. On the other hand, the flatness seems to provide better support, and reduce the need for as much weight shifting.

ptoemmes
07-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Re: the BRP passenger peg extensions...words are gonna fail me here.

Focus of the part of the extension bracket that is bolted to the Spyder.

Is there a round piece that recesses into the existing bolt hole on the Spyder or does it bolt up flush.

I ask because I see by design that the peg extenders want the muffler dropped an inch or so and accommodates that with a bracket extension.

I may not be able to drop my brand spanking new dual exhaust (look for Evoluzione's Leo Vince duals for similar pics) and in any event the way the new exhaust pipes are bent there is no need to drop the exhaust for this mod.

Sorry for the inability to describe - hopefully you get the picture. ;)

Pete

Longlegs
07-28-2009, 06:26 PM
That has a bolt that goes through the new extension, the existing bracket on the bike, and the new black support piece that comes down behind it and fastens with a nut. The new bracket also has an allen bolt that is right in front of the one you pointed out, and comes in from the backside. I don't think it had dowel type piece that went into the bolt hole.