PDA

View Full Version : 998cc RT Techno 2010 SE5 Spyder won't start engine

peterRT
04-06-2019, 03:28 AM
Hi all", I have not ridden my Spyder for over a week and I went out to start the engine up today, but it would crank over but not start up. It popped a few times but did not start. I put it on battery charger overnight and try too start it up in the morning,

any ideas on start up procedure? e.g. throttle wide open or just leave the throttle at idle,

Regards Peter

youngers
04-06-2019, 05:18 AM
add a little gas to the tank ? gauge might not be working if showing half full or full ( just a thought ) if it ran fine 2 weeks ago now will not crank , start with the easiest , did you happen to buy petro that might have been bad ?

peterRT
04-06-2019, 05:55 AM
Hi Mate i put some fuel in the tank in the morning and I don't think i put bad fuel in it. I use 98 octane,

Regards Peter

Mikey
04-06-2019, 07:19 AM
If your battery is good, and you have fuel and it's popping like it wants to start, you may have a plug and wire issue, or the two little hoses coming off the carb may be cracked. How many miles do you have on it? May be time for a good tune up! Bajaron has the full kit to do the job! Good to work with also!

Chupaca
04-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Have you tried the TWO (throttle wide open) proceedure. Turn the ignition on open the throttle all the way and crank the engine for 10 sec or so. Then shut it off and start the normal way with no throttle. Sometimes the shut down of the throttle bodys can leave an engine flooded and this should clear it out. Try a couple of times if it does not work on the first try. If no luck then start checking the plugs coils and wires and fuel delivery....:thumbup:

Easy Rider
04-06-2019, 09:01 AM
Before you get too carried away here.......you need to test the battery......since that is the most common cause of a "no start" condition.

And, in general, you should not touch the throttle while trying to start.

peterRT
04-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Hi Mate 37000 miles on the clock,

regards Peter

Snowbelt Spyder
04-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Hey Peter. What Gene said. For reasons only known to the Spyder gods, occasionally the motor will cough or sputter once while you're trying to start it, and get drowned. When you hold the throttle wide open and crank it, the ECM cuts off fuel. This process clears it out. Then you try a normal start without touching the throttle. Could take two or so tries. This comes right out of the shop manual.

peterRT
04-07-2019, 01:12 AM
Hi Mate", I tried the 2 throttle wide open procedures and it started . Yeah it was flooded,

Thanks Regards peter

Chupaca
04-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Hi Mate", I tried the 2 throttle wide open procedures and it started . Yeah it was flooded,

Thanks Regards peter

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know it worked out for you....enjoy the ryde and remember the process should it ever happen again....:thumbup:

Easy Rider
04-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Note:
If your engine repeatedly fails to start because it is "flooded".....you NEED to find out why that is happening and fix it.