PDA

View Full Version : Licensed!

Spokane2303
04-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Just back from two days of training and testing to qualify for my 3-wheel motorcycle license in Washington State.

During the training had a chance to ride 4 different versions of Can ams.

Decided I really like the F3 and the Ryker. Fun machines with great handling and power.

I did observe that the power comes on a little delayed on the Ryker. Must be the CV clutch, it seems a lot like the way power come on on my Artic Cat ATV. It has great engine braking and brakes that will pull your teeth out! The power delay was easy to get use to.

The F3 is a much more sophisticated ride; but, still a blast to ride. No power delay, just a lot less engine braking when you back off the throttle. Bigger, heavier and a little more comfortable. I just wish it had a shaft drive!

Now I must decide if I want a smaller dedicated canyon carver or a larger, more dual purpose, machine?

One of them is in my future!

ARtraveler
04-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Choose wisely....:yes:

Chupaca
04-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Shopping is sooo much fun.... Glad you got to test them all out and have some better idea of what you would like. Never exactly what you want but there are alot of products out there to get you there....:thumbup:

VegasSpyder
04-04-2019, 09:26 AM
A 3 wheeled motorcycle license? Interesting.
In Nevada, all you need is a regular motor vehicle license, like for a car, and no helmet is required either.

dondje
04-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Two weeks after completing the training last May, I had my new 2017 F3T. One of the best purchases I have ever made!

Regards,

Don

dondje
04-04-2019, 09:33 AM
In Nevada, all you need is a regular motor vehicle license, like for a car, and no helmet is required either.

In addition to the regular motor vehicle license, Washington State requires separate endorsements for 2 wheel and 3 wheel, and helmets for both.

Regards,

Don
PBD

VegasSpyder
04-04-2019, 10:47 AM
we have a class M (2 wheel) endorsement. Motorcycles require a helmet, but not 3 wheels.
That being said I ALWAYS wear a helmet.

CopperSpyder
04-04-2019, 11:13 AM
We have a class M License endorsement (you can drive 2 wheel and 3 wheel motorcycle) we also have a class M9 License endorsement (good for 3 wheel only not 2 wheel motorcycle). Both require you to wear a helmet for the first two years.

CopperSpyder
04-04-2019, 11:21 AM
Just back from two days of training and testing to qualify for my 3-wheel motorcycle license in Washington State.

Decided I really like the F3 and the Ryker. Fun machines with great handling and power.

I did observe that the power comes on a little delayed on the Ryker. Must be the CV clutch, it seems a lot like the way power come on on my Artic Cat ATV. It has great engine braking and brakes that will pull your teeth out! The power delay was easy to get use to.

The F3 is a much more sophisticated ride; but, still a blast to ride. No power delay, just a lot less engine braking when you back off the throttle. Bigger, heavier and a little more comfortable. I just wish it had a shaft drive!

Now I must decide if I want a smaller dedicated canyon carver or a larger, more dual purpose, machine?

One of them is in my future!

:congrats: On the license, Let the fun begin!! :ohyea::ohyea: Happy Shopping make sure and let us know and post in the garage what you get (one of each). :dontknow:

starrider60
04-04-2019, 08:44 PM
I live in Mississippi. We are so backward, all we get is big M on the drivers license :joke:

canamjhb
04-04-2019, 11:54 PM
When I lived in Washington there were 3 levels of MC licenses. M1, M2, & M3. They were given to riders who could pass the riding test based upon the CC size of the MC that the riding test was sucessufully completed. Nothing for 3 wheels at that time. I had a M3 (unlimited CC) indorsement and kept that when I changed to Arizona. I still keep an Arizona MC indorsement but never even thought that I might need to have anything additional for a Spyder. Maybe I should look into it..... or just keep my mouth shut and ride..... Jim

gkamer
04-05-2019, 09:49 PM

Where did you do your classes?

Spokane2303
04-06-2019, 09:35 AM
I did my classes in Auburn, WA. Closest training location to Vancouver, WA.

If you go to Can am's web site, they have a $99 learn to ride deal and you will find they have a training school locally in North Spokane!

It was totally worth the $99 for two days of class and driving time training.

They even taught us how to drift a Can am to lower the inside tire and straighten out a turn.

That lesson was FUN!

Quick stops with the anti-locks was also a blast.

I've ridden motorcycles for 50+ years and have taken basic and advanced rider safety courses. Three wheelers are a different animal vs a two wheeler. One of my fellow classmates planted a sidecar into a Jersey barrier on his first run by not paying attention to the width. Gives you a lot to think about and consider!

Mazo EMS2
04-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Curious how you liked the class actually. My wife finally signed up and takes in in May... Available at our dealer for $99 so I kinda twisted her arm. She's excited...she wants a Ryker...

summertime
04-20-2019, 06:23 PM

I have a question about that. I too live in Nevada and will be picking up my Spyder later today :yes: I know we aren't required to have a motorcycle license in Nevada, but what about when we cross state lines? Are we still fine? BRP mentioned that I might not be...

Spokane2303
04-20-2019, 06:30 PM
The classroom time is focused on safety and the unique differences between 2 and 3 wheelers.

Since I'm still riding 2 wheels, I found the safety portion a good refresher.

The riding time both days was fun! Started slow, with us pushing each other to just get use to the brakes. Then we started to ride and progressed fairly quickly.

Day 2 was more operation and safety information followed by the State Written License Test. The afternoon of day two was more advanced riding skills and practice. After completed, we then took the State Riding Exam. During this you have to demonstrate multiple driving skills to pass.

For the cost, $99, an excellent use of your time and money!

BoilerAnimal
04-21-2019, 01:30 AM
I have a question about that. I too live in Nevada and will be picking up my Spyder later today :yes: I know we aren't required to have a motorcycle license in Nevada, but what about when we cross state lines? Are we still fine? BRP mentioned that I might not be...

If you are legally licensed in your state of residence, you can operate that type of vehicle in any other state. Most states give you a time frame to get a license from that state AFTER becoming a legal resident.

When we moved to Arizona, I believe it was ten days after becoming a resident, that we had to get AZ drivers licenses. Some states will allow ninety days, during which time, your license is still legally valid.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.