PDA

View Full Version : Passenger observations

Pete Denzer
06-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Went to town last night for dinner with wife on Spyder. She drove the twisty ten mile route and I rode pillion.

Chris is an experienced biker with more than 100,000 miles of motorcycling experience, has owned a Honda Rebel, 535 Virago, two Sporties and a Ninja, has ridden all my bikes and sidecars.

When she rides behind me on the Spyder she hangs off in turns to help me corner. She came up with this idea after consuming several Margaritas during her first ride on the SE5.

In theory, this could help; in practice, not so much. It's hard for the passenger to gauge how much hang-off is needed, and it's harder still for the driver to plan the line in a corner with this unpredictable load shifting around behind him.

My stint as a sober passenger gave me some insight here. We found the best handling resulted from me simply looking over Chris' shoulder on the inside of the turn. She's still getting used the the Spyder's handling, which feels a bit tippy to her, and as a driver she hangs off more than needed. She'll get used to it. Mind you, this applies to public roads; two-up on track days with the passenger as "monkey" is a whole 'nother thing.

Despite her operational Spyder inexperience I felt pretty safe as her passenger, my biggest complaint was that she was running in one or two gears lower than I would. At 5'-7" I was pretty comfortable on the stock seat leaning against the GIVI topbox with no back pad. Chris and I agree that a back pad would have the passenger leaning awkwardly forward with less fidgeting room for comfort.

Chris' complaints were few. Not enough braking power, she said, and the F-1 windshield was too tall for her 5'-3 1/2" height, though it's perfect for me. Told her I'd get a phone book to sit on.

She liked the power but thought the Spyder took a lot more effort than a two-wheeler to drive. I told her that once she became more familiar with its handling and operation she would be able to let the Spyder do more of the work for her. But I do agree that even with more experience riding a two-wheeler is easier, but less forgiving.

If your significant other rides, I think it's a good idea to ride pillion behind her to get some insight as to how to make the ride more pleasant for her (or him).

One insight: It's easier for the passenger to set and release the parking brake than it is for the driver.

Another insight: While I would hate to spend any time on two wheels behind a 35-pound-smaller rider, the Spyder felt safe, secure and comfortable. Once Chris gets the hang of it and gets a little smoother, I think a two-up tour with her sharing driving chores with me would be no more uncomfortable for me than sharing driving chores with her in my SUV. We'd have to get some saddlebags to haul all of Chris' girlie things.

As always, JMHO.