PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Life. What should we expect?

LeftCoast
04-03-2019, 12:10 AM
This started in the modular thread then I realized I was off topic so now it’s here

The 5-7 year rule. I’m not sure where that comes from or how valid it is at this point. I’d assume that as helmet manufacturering technology has improved over the last decade as have materials that this “rule of thumb” that I’ve heard ever since I bought a helmet has to be better than this by now. On the flip side manufacturers have to sell helmets so it’s not in their best interest to make a helmet that’s good for 20 years. I honestly don’t know what to believe anymore.

I think UV exposure used to be a factor but if you only ride weekends 6-8 months a year does it reallly come into play?

treva
04-03-2019, 01:01 AM
Quite a number of helmet manufacturers now have a 5 year warranty, so should last beyond that period if carefully looked after.

PW2013STL
04-03-2019, 03:53 AM
It"s not so much the outer shell that is the reason for the 5 year rule, but the material inside the helmet. Due to the chemicals it comes in contact with. Oils, salts, and byproducts from the hair, and skin react with the material used in the helmet liner and over time make them less effective in protecting us.
I try to replace every 5 years. Expensive - Yes, but cheaper and more fun then a hospital stay!

Saluda
04-03-2019, 06:00 AM
Also hinges on whether they have taken any type of hit.

sledmaster
04-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Its more the inner Styrofoam that were concerned about than the outer shell. Think of when you would buy a Styrofoam cooler for your beer, and how after a few years the foam is no longer soft and supple but instead it turns harder and more brittle. When the foam in the helmet starts to harden, its ability to absorb and dissipate the energy from an impact is reduced. Assuming our helmet is constructed in this manner. New technology uses what amounts to welded straws instead of Styrofoam as the crumple zone, so maybe this material will last longer. And yes, after an impact the helmet should either be inspected or discarded. I wrecked two helmets last year, the Styrofoam was crushed and cracked when inspected, these helmets are no good for use. The outer carbon fiber shell was only scratched.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
04-03-2019, 06:54 AM
Its more the inner Styrofoam that were concerned about than the outer shell. Think of when you would buy a Styrofoam cooler for your beer, and how after a few years the foam is no longer soft and supple but instead it turns harder and more brittle. When the foam in the helmet starts to harden, its ability to absorb and dissipate the energy from an impact is reduced. Assuming our helmet is constructed in this manner. New technology uses what amounts to welded straws instead of Styrofoam as the crumple zone, so maybe this material will last longer. And yes, after an impact the helmet should either be inspected or discarded. I wrecked two helmets last year, the Styrofoam was crushed and cracked when inspected, these helmets are no good for use. The outer carbon fiber shell was only scratched.

Can you just replace the inside when the time comes, do companies sell the stuff?

lstayner
04-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Can you just replace the inside when the time comes, do companies sell the stuff?

The part that he is talking about is glued in. No manufacturer is going to sell the parts and expect the consumer to reinstall it properly. The liability would be huge.

I ride about 20K miles per year and typically wear a helmet out in 4 years. I take the liner out and wash it at least twice a riding season. You can replace the helmet liners but they will cost about 1/2 of a new helmet.

WisconsinDavid
04-03-2019, 07:57 AM
My helmet last year saved my bacon too. It was retired after doing its job. With all the other things I pay for to be in the wind... the cost of a new helmet every 5 years I'll gladly pay. Plus,, as time goes by, they continue to find ways to improve our lids. I enjoy the flip down tinted shield in mine, eliminating my sunglasses on days with bright sunshine. That was a feature not available not too long ago.

ARtraveler
04-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Yes...a few good points here.

I have eight asst. Nolans on the shelf. Three have not even been worn in 10 years or so. NONE have been dropped or used for the intended purpose. The next time I move, I will cull them out and put them in the dumpster. I have two more going on eight and the rest are at five or less. Most recent are less than two years.

At this point, three are gone for sure. Don't know about the others. The term "sunk cost" does come up though. :roflblack:

Chupaca
04-03-2019, 01:27 PM
The recommendations are for the whole helmet as you well know a bad/loose fitting helmet may be worse than no helmet at all. As the materials age and suffer the effects of weather, fluids, chemicals and wear and tear they may no longer have the protection they had in the begining. Most innards (not the base foam) are removable and washable but how many of us do that. Could prolong the tight fit. So pretty much worth the replacement and they always have some good upgrades...:thumbup:

GaryinWI
04-03-2019, 02:55 PM
I put on 5-8k miles/year and have found that at 4-5 years the lining is getting worn out (even with washing) and the linger points and strap are also showin* their age. Usually also ready for a change at 4-5 years.

asp125
04-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Besides, buying a new helmet is fun!

rtotten
04-03-2019, 04:45 PM
AK why not give them to your local MSF training program... I'm sure they can use them..

JayBros
04-03-2019, 05:04 PM
...The next time I move, I will cull them out and put them in the dumpster...

Before you chuck them check with local fire departments and EMS activities. Many are desirous of them for training.

BajaRon
04-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Helmet life depends on a lot of variables. The 5 year replacement rule is enforced for sanctioned racing. But a well made helmet, properly maintained, will serve you quite well beyond 5 years. If you are wearing a cheap to mid-range quality helmet. Then 5 years (or less) may well be its reasonable service limit.

Well made helmets will have replaceable interiors. But the padding is for comfort and fit. Not so much for protection. It is, as has been mentioned, the Styrofoam shell that helps your head decelerate slowly enough to prevent injury. The hard outer shell protects from penetrating objects and helps the helmet to slide when contacting any surface.

There used to be good reason to replace a helmet because of the advances made in protecting the head. But in the last 10 years, technology, design and materials have hit a bit of a wall in this respect. We have not seen the same kind of significant improvements to head protection that had been more typical in previous years. Even Snell has made virtually no changes in their testing process since the 2005 standard.

Instead, helmet manufactures have been concentrating on maintaining the same high level of protection while making detail changes like lighter helmets, larger eye openings, places to mount speakers, etc.

sledmaster
04-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Check out the new Koroyd technology that uses welded straws to replace the old Styrofoam. Combined with MIPS rotational features then for sure we have advances worth our attention. I believe this is good enough to warrant replacement. Google ""Koroyd" and then Google "MIPS helmet".

170589 170590

jaherbst
04-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Check out the new Koroyd technology that uses welded straws to replace the old Styrofoam. Combined with MIPS rotational features then for sure we have advances worth our attention. I believe this is good enough to warrant replacement. Google ""Koroyd" and then Google "MIPS helmet".

170589 170590

Well they have to do something with all those outlawed straws in many states, why not put them in our Helmets? :joke:

Jack

bhern
04-03-2019, 11:51 PM

Thanks for sharing about the Koroyd concept -- hopefully it will spread to many more mainstream manufacturers so that by the time for my next helmet purchase it will be a feature in more than one line.