PDA

View Full Version : College Grade Inflation

Joe T.
04-02-2019, 12:06 PM
A good read:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomlindsay/2019/03/30/the-other-college-scandal-grade-inflation-has-turned-transcripts-into-monopoly-money/#5697beaf4182

Joe T.

canamjhb
04-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Nothing more than a "Participation Trophy" for everyone. :shocked: ..... Jim

ARtraveler
04-02-2019, 12:39 PM
I read the above and find it very interesting. As a retiring college accounting professor (April 30), I can say I have never inflated a grade for my students.

I have seen a deterioration in the "quality" of the students over the last 20 years though. The "usual" curve prevails in my classes. 10% (a's), 15% (b's). And yes, 10% (f's). I tell them up front, they will get the grade they earn based on their exam scores. I have never allowed extra credit to fluff up the grade at the end.

So far, I have never been told by a university to fluff up the grades. I did make up my mind that if told to do it...that would be my instant retirement. I was contacted by a coach one time on behalf of a student...but that did not go well for the coach or the student.

I had inquiries from a Senator's daughter as to how I conducted my summer sessions and how I graded. She decided not to take my class.

No bribes by rich people either....darn...:roflblack:

I do think the practice is very much in vogue in the regular school system. So called (A) students, generally don't seem to be that. There are some good ones also though.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-02-2019, 10:02 PM
In one sense the grade inflation will have no long term impact. I've told many students that the college diploma is nothing more than a ticket to enter the competition. And after about 5 years or less the college diploma is valueless as anything other than a wall hanging. If a person can't make it in a few years slugging it out with the rest of the workforce nobody is going to care. I've told students there are only two people in the world who really care about you and your future, you and your mother, and your mother can't always be depended on!

40 years ago I had a journalism graduate from a Univ of Calif college come work for me. When he left college he said, "OK world, here I am!" and the world shrugged and said, "Yeah, and so?" He had been pumped full of ego and sense of self importance in college and when the world showed that it couldn't care less, he didn't know how to deal with it. So he ended up working for me in my small local print shop.

canamjhb
04-03-2019, 12:01 AM
I interviewed and hired hundreds of people during my 35+ years in the Financial Industry. Almost all were college graduates. There were a lot of smart people I talked to. And a lot of them went on to become very senior excutives. Made me proud. Some failed. I had the opportunity to provide them with their initial opportunity in the business world. It was very fulfilling to whitness their sucess. BTW..... I never went to college

Rogue Hawk
04-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Mediocrity is the new excellence. They don't want inferior students to feel bad about themselves.

IdahoMtnSpyder
04-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Mediocrity is the new excellence. They don't want inferior students to feel bad about themselves.
:agree: Except it's not new. I've been saying for years the one thing America truly excels at is mediocrity! :(

Bob Denman
04-04-2019, 06:45 AM
:shocked: I sure could have used some "grade-flation"; all those years ago... :banghead:

JerryB
04-04-2019, 11:10 AM
Hi Idaho,

Re: excels at is mediocrity!

Yup, just look at the spelling & grammar on a lot of the posts on here.

Jerry Baumchen

Bob Denman
04-05-2019, 08:20 AM
:shocked: Wow...

not cool...