PDA

View Full Version : Heated grips.

gazey
06-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I've gotta fit a new set of grips to my Spyder because I damaged the clutch side trying to remove it:gaah:.
I was thinking of fitting heated grips while I was at it.
Has anyone had any computer issues after fitting heaters.
(I have heard of pobs after HID lights ect)
:chat:

Trumpybob
06-22-2009, 05:23 AM
I've gotta fit a new set of grips to my Spyder because I damaged the clutch side trying to remove it:gaah:.

Some of the guys have fitted the Oxford heated grips with no problems. Let me know how you go, as I might want to pick your brains on fitting.
Bob

bone crusher
06-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Heated grips are cool but I wonder if they're necessary if your hands are covered while you're riding?

If you wear a warmer glove and the airflow to the hands is blocked, shouldn't the hands be fine? It's the air running over your hands that will cool them and if that is eliminated, as it is with certain windshields, I'd think you wouldn't have to worry about warming the hands...

I don't ride the bike below 45 degrees anyway...I guess if you enjoy riding around the freezing level...:dontknow: But, that isn't very enjoyable anyway....better to get out the snowmobile! :D

NancysToy
06-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Heated grips are cool but I wonder if they're necessary if your hands are covered while you're riding?

If you wear a warmer glove and the airflow to the hands is blocked, shouldn't the hands be fine? It's the air running over your hands that will cool them and if that is eliminated, as it is with certain windshields, I'd think you wouldn't have to worry about warming the hands...

I don't ride the bike below 45 degrees anyway...I guess if you enjoy riding around the freezing level...:dontknow: But, that isn't very enjoyable anyway....better to get out the snowmobile! :D
Oh, we've got to get you out in some freezing weather. You have a lot to learn! :D Gloved hands also lose heat rapidly when the air hits them. The chill is accentuated because the hands are gripping something and are not moving much. You can freeze your pinkies if you are not careful, even with the heaviest gloves. Several acceptable answers:
1. More wind protection via aftermarket windshield
2. Heated grips
3. Heated gloves
4. Any combination of the above, plus winter riding gloves
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

gazey
06-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I ride my Spyder to work and back most days, this time of year its between 0 and 5 deg C. Its really only the tips of my fingers that suffer. Anyway, I was really only concerned about the nanny computer on the bike. I have read several times about the installation of after market electrical stuff causing problems. I would think grip heaters would draw a lot of battery power.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

NancysToy
06-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I ride my Spyder to work and back most days, this time of year its between 0 and 5 deg C. Its really only the tips of my fingers that suffer. Anyway, I was really only concerned about the nanny computer on the bike. I have read several times about the installation of after market electrical stuff causing problems. I would think grip heaters would draw a lot of battery power.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
If you draw power directly from the battery, or from an auxiliary fuse block (power buss) connected directly to the battery, you should have no problems with the computer. Be aware that the Spyder charging system has limited capacity, but heated grips or clothing alone should not exceed your needs. Easiest thing to install is a power lead (pigtail) for heated gloves/clothing. You can even charge your battery through it with the right adapter. Nancy's Spyder has this installed, and it works just fine.
-Scotty http://www.pmdawnonline.com/forum/images/smilies/velo.gif

vtrider
06-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I have heated grips installed on my spyder and never had issues with the computer nanny. I added an auxiliary fuse panel ( Centech AP-2), like the power bus as Scotty stated, and hooked that directly to the battery through a relay to get my switched 12V source. The heated grips are powered through the switched 12V circuit on the fuse block. I also have a coax cable that I run from the battery for my heated jacket liner and heated gloves that I wear on those colder days. I eventualy I want to add powerlet outlets running from the fuse block, so that I can connect my heated clothing to those and not have to use a power cord from the battery. Running the heated clothing and the heated grips hasn't drained my battery yet. I just keep the battery maintained using a battery tender every once in a while. I can tell you that the heated gloves in conjunction with the heated grips does keep those hands warm. I ride in temps as low as 23F and I will even add my handlebar muffs over the gloves to keep more chile off when they are needed.

chris56
06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
..i drive (sometimes) in the same temperatures..
what kind of gloves ..aso do you use ??
chris ( from cold austrian alps..)

rkteck
06-22-2009, 01:47 PM
In Phoenix we have natural heated grips. July and August once it gets above 115 degrees F, everything is heated. Maybe need to look at adding some for winter riding since it can get into the 40's here when we are getting our artic freeze. :ohyea:

ataDude
06-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Here's an example of a fuse block:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37702&postcount=1

vtrider
06-22-2009, 04:07 PM
..i drive (sometimes) in the same temperatures..
what kind of gloves ..aso do you use ??
chris ( from cold austrian alps..)

I have the Tourmaster Synergy heated gloves, as well as the Synergy heated jacket liner which all tie in together.

wolfshead1
06-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I have had heated grips on everything in the last 20yrs.I have them on my Ultra now.Have had them on my ATV's as well as SeaDoo's.Can't imagine living without them.I ride yr. round and warm hands are the reason.Gloves do very little under 45 degrees.I usually pay bout $35 from somewhere and install is usually 1 hr. labor.Symtec may be the name.