PDA

View Full Version : Vredstein Tires

Chasinsparks
03-30-2019, 11:32 PM
Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF) I should have done sooner!

So after my post about tire repair, BlueKnight911, Canamjhb and a few other recommended going to a car tire and BlueKnight even recommended Vredestein
Quatrac 5 I went ahead an took the advice of others that have way more experience with the Spyder than I do and made the purchase.

Got in about a 200 mile ride today, all I can say is thanks for the suggestion. Immediately I noticed how much easier the bike turns and handles in the curves I do not feel like I have to fight it and the ride quality is greatly improve, the bumps are not nearly as jarring as with the Kendras. I now feel that I have to do the rear, I don't know if this makes any since but I kind of feel like with the fronts being so planted that I really notice how crappy the stock rear tire is I felt like the back was stepping out more than before or maybe I had a bit of added confidence and hit the corners harder or maybe it;s just me justifying the need to add a matching rear.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-31-2019, 12:52 AM

So after my post about tire repair, BlueKnight911, Canamjhb and a few other recommended going to a car tire and BlueKnight even recommended Vredestein
Quatrac 5 I went ahead an took the advice of others that have way more experience with the Spyder than I do and made the purchase.

Got in about a 200 mile ride today, all I can say is thanks for the suggestion. Immediately I noticed how much easier the bike turns and handles in the curves I do not feel like I have to fight it and the ride quality is greatly improve, the bumps are not nearly as jarring as with the Kendras. I now feel that I have to do the rear, I don't know if this makes any since but I kind of feel like with the fronts being so planted that I really notice how crappy the stock rear tire is I felt like the back was stepping out more than before or maybe I had a bit of added confidence and hit the corners harder or maybe it;s just me justifying the need to add a matching rear.

:clap::clap::clap: …. Thanks for the compliment … I'm glad you are pleased with my selection ( the Quatrac 5 ) ….. if you are using the 15 & 18 psi's I recommended all the better ( please let us know - it makes a difference ) ...… Tire pressure mostly contributes to Safety ie. a stickier tire holds the road better - especially when turning & in wet conditions ….. However the tire is part of the suspension system and much additional comfort ( to ride feel ) it can provide. Yes I do go on & on about this - however there seems to be a LOT of new Spyder owners here on the Forum :2excited::yes:..... and knowledge even if repeated is not a bad thing …… thanks for your report and please keep us informed ………. Years ago I introduced the folks here to the General Altimax RT43, and it's become one of the most popular rear tires used on any Spyder ( General only makes one size for the front and only if you have Old style fenders )….. Well imho the Vredestein's ( Quatrac 5 ) are actually much better than the RT43 ( NOW ) …. improvements in tires are occurring at a faster pace than ever before …. Continental now has a very attractive tire on the Market ….. I'll keep us posted …… Mike :ohyea:

Tango
04-03-2019, 11:24 AM
The "crapendas" are just that, CRAP! I have Vredestein's all around thanks to Mike. Awesome is the only word befitting these tires.:thumbup: Tom :spyder:

johnny canuck
04-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Looked them up - doesn't show a "55" tire.

CopperSpyder
04-03-2019, 07:47 PM
Per Blueknight911 and yes he's that good!! Knows his stuff

Vredestein tire sizes from their web site
Someone asked me ( actually a few some ones - lately ) so I'm going to list the Vredestein Tires that will fit the 14 & 15 inch wheels .. in 14 inch for the front _ three I know will fit are 155/65-14 -- 165/60 14 -- 165/65-14 … these two I'm pretty sure will work also 175/65-14 & 185/55-14 ...depending on type of fenders you have …….. For 15in fronts 145/65-15 -- 155/60-15 __ 165/60-15__165/65-15 __& 175/55-15 ………. for the rear 205/65-15 __ 205/60-15 __ 215/65-15 …….. This info is from VREDESTEIN TIRE CO. ….. if they are made by Vredestein they can be found somewhere …….. These tires are the " Quatrac 5 " model ….. I think Vredestein makes one of if not the best Spyder tire today..... other models may have similar performance characteristics but I won't comment on them...… Happy & safe motoring ….. Bluekinght911

canamjhb
04-03-2019, 09:38 PM
Chasinsparks..... Thanks for the update. I know it's a leap of faith to discard tires with only 2K miles and go with an unknown. I am glad you found the change worthwhile. I know I did too. Both Peter and Mike have been positive advocates for improving our riding experience and they have a wealth of knowledge. Your experience and results of switching will help others to realize the improvements that can be had. I have never seen a post or heard of anyone who prefered Kenda tires after switching to ANY other brand. Vredestine will probably be my brand of choice when my Federals and Altimax need replacing. Thanks again for the report..... Jim

PW2013STL
04-03-2019, 09:38 PM
I was able to find one tire supplier that list the 205/60 R15 tire. It is a special order item and with shipping and special fee for only ordering 1 tire it came to $98.33. They state that special orders can take up to 6 weeks, so I am waiting for it.
Their web site when I entered the 205/65R15 came up as no longer available. I did not try searching the 205/65R15 size
The company is Vulcan Tire.

aka1004
04-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Is sportrac 5 pretty much same but softer?
I like the 225/60r15 and 175/50r15 in sportrac.
nevermind. it’s summer tire...

Torn between quadratrac all around or hankook Ventus series with very similar tread design front and back.
I do prefer directional treads.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-04-2019, 01:27 AM
Is sportrac 5 pretty much same but softer?
I like the 225/60r15 and 175/50r15 in sportrac.
nevermind. it’s summer tire...

Torn between quadratrac all around or hankook Ventus series with very similar tread design front and back.
I do prefer directional treads.

Hi, imho the difference between Directional and NON- directional tires is so small I doubt if 1 out of 100 could tell you which Spyder had the directional tires on it ….from actually driving it ……… Spyders are no different from cars/trks or even Two wheel Mtc's ….. Tires ONLY need to match on the SAME axel ( plus don't mix Radial tires with any other type ). ……………. If you prefer the Sportrac 5 sizes better, I would get them ( summer tires ) …. as long as you don't spend MOST of your riding below 35 F ……. The most Important thing about switching to Car tires is the PSI you use in them…… On ANY Spyder, Myself and Peter Aawen recommend 15 PSI...… It has been explained at great length on a Few other Threads - WHY this works best...……Enjoy ….. Mike :ohyea:. .

MNF3
04-04-2019, 06:24 AM
I have a 2016 F3-T. I see there are several sizes that would fit. What would be the preferred size?

stillriding
04-04-2019, 07:01 AM
Per Blueknight911 and yes he's that good!! Knows his stuff

Vredestein tire sizes from their web site
Someone asked me ( actually a few some ones - lately ) so I'm going to list the Vredestein Tires that will fit the 14 & 15 inch wheels .. in 14 inch for the front _ three I know will fit are 155/65-14 -- 165/60 14 -- 165/65-14 … these two I'm pretty sure will work also 175/65-14 & 185/55-14 ...depending on type of fenders you have …….. For 15in fronts 145/65-15 -- 155/60-15 __ 165/60-15__165/65-15 __& 175/55-15 ………. for the rear 205/65-15 __ 205/60-15 __ 215/65-15 …….. This info is from VREDESTEIN TIRE CO. ….. if they are made by Vredestein they can be found somewhere …….. These tires are the " Quatrac 5 " model ….. I think Vredestein makes one of if not the best Spyder tire today..... other models may have similar performance characteristics but I won't comment on them...… Happy & safe motoring ….. Bluekinght911I'm going to show my ignorance by asking what advantage is there in using a tire size that's different from the stock size? I am convinced that Kendas are crap...I replaced my rear last year with a car tire, but went with the stock size. Thanks to you, BK911 and Peter for all of the valuable tire info over the years, but I just need to know the benefits of using different sizes.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-04-2019, 08:43 AM
I'm going to show my ignorance by asking what advantage is there in using a tire size that's different from the stock size? I am convinced that Kendas are crap...I replaced my rear last year with a car tire, but went with the stock size. Thanks to you, BK911 and Peter for all of the valuable tire info over the years, but I just need to know the benefits of using different sizes.

Regarding '' the Tire size ".... There are very, very Few 225/50-15 size tires being manufactured …. The Kumho Ecsta is the only one I can think of , many users of this tire report that from approx. half the treadwear life it loses quite a bit of it's WET road traction. Replacing the Rear OEM Kenda with a slightly larger tire ( ie. 215/60-15 or 205/60-15 ) will actually bring your speedo and odo closer to True numbers ( the OEM size is not accurate ) …. the Size difference has No effect on the Safety systems like the " VSS ". … Auto tires have proven to be a MUCH better tire in ALL respects than the Kenda's..... and you have quite a bit of choice in those sizes ( even for the New Ryker w/16" tires ) ….. Peter Aawen has written a Ton of info about tire's for Spyders ( the technical reasons mostly ) I specialize in what Brand & Model works best …… EXCEPT for the Kenda's, Auto tires need much less Air pressure than either the Kenda's or what that same tire requires for use on a Car ……. Hope this answers your questions …… Mike :ohyea:...

sledmaster
04-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Back when we were riding the original prototype units, they were all fitted with Dunlop car tires. You can still see this on the P0, P1, P2 and P3 prototypes when they are on display in Valcourt. Of course, for production BRP had to find a tire manufacturer that was willing to build tires for them that were inexpensive, allowed by the very light load requirements. The OEM tires are light and cheap in comparison to car tires, which have far greater load capability. Most will ride stiffer as well, even with low air pressures, but should be far more durable and reliable. That has been the experience of thousands of us here on the forum. Many of us have tried numerous car tires over the past ten years, front and rear, with excellent results. It seems BRP selected sizes that were obscure, perhaps in an effort to thwart riders from using non-OEM tires, as they do make good money selling tires. There was discussion a few years ago about trying to find a new vendor other than Kenda, even to offer a premium tire as an accessory right from BRP, but I guess this never went anywhere.

So do not be wary of using a car tire, even if it is of slightly different size. Ideally you want to stay within 3% of the original diameter. The width can be fudged, as long as it fits in the fender. Up front I've used 155s and 175s instead of the stock 165s, the 155s looked narrow, the 175s are what I like best on my 2013 STS. There are many other sizes to use on the rear, which is kinda wide to begin with so it works well to go slightly narrower (215, 205) than the stock 225 width. There have to be thousands of posts over the years detailing options here. One caution is to pay attention to the traction and temperature ratings, I wouldn't use anything less than A temperature and A traction, AA traction is better. Stay away from B ratings. IMO. And the lighter load rating the better, since the car tire is already way more than a Spyder needs. Mike's suggestions on pressure are right on, tried and true.

aka1004
04-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Either 165/60r15 or 175/55r15 should work, right? one is not much better or have much more clearance?

All ratings are same except that 165 is 77h and 175 is 77t.

sledmaster
04-04-2019, 05:28 PM
The diameter of the 165/60r15 is only 2.8% greater, should be non issue, same 165 width. The 175/55r15 is only 2% larger diameter, 10mm wider. That's what I run, tighter fit in fender but still OK on 2013 ST-S. What model do you have??

aka1004
04-04-2019, 06:04 PM
I have a 15 RS with newer fenders.

PW2013STL
04-04-2019, 06:07 PM
I have a 15 RS with newer fenders.

I run the 175/55R15 with the new fenders. Works great!

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Back when we were riding the original prototype units, they were all fitted with Dunlop car tires. You can still see this on the P0, P1, P2 and P3 prototypes when they are on display in Valcourt. Of course, for production BRP had to find a tire manufacturer that was willing to build tires for them that were inexpensive, allowed by the very light load requirements. The OEM tires are light and cheap in comparison to car tires, which have far greater load capability. Most will ride stiffer as well, even with low air pressures, but should be far more durable and reliable. That has been the experience of thousands of us here on the forum. Many of us have tried numerous car tires over the past ten years, front and rear, with excellent results. It seems BRP selected sizes that were obscure, perhaps in an effort to thwart riders from using non-OEM tires, as they do make good money selling tires. There was discussion a few years ago about trying to find a new vendor other than Kenda, even to offer a premium tire as an accessory right from BRP, but I guess this never went anywhere.

So do not be wary of using a car tire, even if it is of slightly different size. Ideally you want to stay within 3% of the original diameter. The width can be fudged, as long as it fits in the fender. Up front I've used 155s and 175s instead of the stock 165s, the 155s looked narrow, the 175s are what I like best on my 2013 STS. There are many other sizes to use on the rear, which is kinda wide to begin with so it works well to go slightly narrower (215, 205) than the stock 225 width. There have to be thousands of posts over the years detailing options here. One caution is to pay attention to the traction and temperature ratings, I wouldn't use anything less than A temperature and A traction, AA traction is better. Stay away from B ratings. IMO. And the lighter load rating the better, since the car tire is already way more than a Spyder needs. Mike's suggestions on pressure are right on, tried and true.

Thank you, it's nice to hear Opinions based on factual info ….. rather than " well my Tushy thinks " etc. …… :roflblack::roflblack: …….. Mike :ohyea:

stillriding
04-05-2019, 05:56 AM
[SIZE=4[/SIZE] Thanks for all the valuable info, guys.

Tango
04-05-2019, 08:42 AM
Got our tires at "Tirerack". Free shipping, no sales tax. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

RapidSpyder
04-05-2019, 01:57 PM
Thank you, it's nice to hear Opinions based on factual info ….. rather than " well my Tushy thinks " etc. …… :roflblack::roflblack: …….. Mike :ohyea:

Well, sometimes we need to listen to our tush too, hence the term “flying by the seat of your pants”.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-05-2019, 11:50 PM
Well, sometimes we need to listen to our tush too, hence the term “flying by the seat of your pants”.

:roflblack: ………. If the " Tush " belonged to Emmerson Fittipaldi or Ayrton Senna or Lewis Hamilton , I would listen to it. But I don't think yours is in that class :dontknow:...……………… Mike :ohyea:

bobbobtar
04-06-2019, 04:31 PM
I run a 205/55R15 on the rear of 2014 RT-S (OEM 225/50R15) a lot more choices, less than 1" difference in width. https://tiresize.com/comparison/

MeudtPG
04-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Hi Chasinsparks, I see your 2016 RTL front OEM tires are the same as the 2018 RTL. What size Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires did you install for this improvement?

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-06-2019, 10:49 PM
Hi Chasinsparks, I see your 2016 RTL front OEM tires are the same as the 2018 RTL. What size Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires did you install for this improvement?

I don't know what Chasinsparks bought ….. but others here have mounted the 175/55-15 on their RT's …… Mike :ohyea:

Chasinsparks
04-07-2019, 09:51 AM
I have a 2016 RTL, I put on the 175/55/15's and they are are great

Chasinsparks
04-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Sorry late with the reply 175/55/15

MeudtPG
04-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Thanks BLUEKNIGHT! Going to replace my rubber wheel valve stems with steel stems for the new FOBO2 sensors so now would be a great time to replace the 2018 RTL OEM tires with Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires.
In your professional opinion is this the optimal Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire set size for this tire upgrade? FRONT: 175/55-15 REAR: 205/60R15

I don't know what Chasinsparks bought ….. but others here have mounted the 175/55-15 on their RT's …… Mike :ohyea:

Found the rear 205/60R15 https://simpletire.com/vredestein-205-60r15-8714692315558-tires

MNF3
04-07-2019, 01:23 PM
What would be the best size for a 2016 F3-t?

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Thanks BLUEKNIGHT! Going to replace my rubber wheel valve stems with steel stems for the new FOBO2 sensors so now would be a great time to replace the 2018 RTL OEM tires with Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires.
In your professional opinion is this the optimal Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire set size for this tire upgrade? FRONT: 175/55-15 REAR: 205/60R15

Found the rear 205/60R15 https://simpletire.com/vredestein-205-60r15-8714692315558-tires

Vredestein also makes a 215/65-15 and I'm confident it will fit any RT …. F-3 ????? I not sure …. PM Peter Aawen or Peteoz , I think they ( or someone else ) has used this size on an RT …… But specifically to your Question Yes those sizes F & R will fit nicely - others here are using them ….. PLEASE try 15 psi for front & 18 psi for rear......This seems to be the best Air pressure, for total performance & comfortable ride …. This is for any weight Driver plus Passenger …. It's a very long explanation as to WHY they work ….. I have posted that info in other Threads …..good luck …. Mike :ohyea:

Tango
04-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Vredestein also makes a 215/65-15 and I'm confident it will fit any RT …. F-3 ????? I not sure …. PM Peter Aawen or Peteoz , I think they ( or someone else ) has used this size on an RT …… But specifically to your Question Yes those sizes F & R will fit nicely - others here are using them ….. PLEASE try 15 psi for front & 18 psi for rear......This seems to be the best Air pressure, for total performance & comfortable ride …. This is for any weight Driver plus Passenger …. It's a very long explanation as to WHY they work ….. I have posted that info in other Threads …..good luck …. Mike :ohyea:

Listen to Mike! :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-07-2019, 01:27 PM
What would be the best size for a 2016 F3-t?

The same as " MeudtPG " is using …… Mike :ohyea:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Listen to Mike! :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Or Peter Aawen ….. Mike :ohyea:

MNF3
04-07-2019, 09:32 PM
Thanks!

Tango
04-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Or Peter Aawen ….. Mike :ohyea:

Was trying to come up with a handle for you Mike. How are these? "Tire Doctor"; "Tire Doc"; "Sultan of Tires"; "Tire Guru"; "Master Tire Tech". :2thumbs: Tom :spyder:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-09-2019, 01:33 AM
Was trying to come up with a handle for you Mike. How are these? "Tire Doctor"; "Tire Doc"; "Sultan of Tires"; "Tire Guru"; "Master Tire Tech". :2thumbs: Tom :spyder:

:roflblack::roflblack: ….. In my former profession ( LEO ) I was fortunate enough to get some very specialized training ( to be an accident investigator ). ….. The courses I took had a lot to do with Tires, ie how they are made , how they work, what causes failure , how PSI effects the how the tires respond, & Hydroplaning etc...( Peter Aawen is very familiar with these subjects )….. I have tried to share my knowledge with the members here so that the tries they buy are - the ones that will perform best in all aspects ie. traction wet & dry & a comfortable ride.... Todays auto tires have come light years in the performance and safety area's...… Is the difference in these area's from one make to another Hugh - No, it isn't. But for the sizes Spyders can use we are limited in Brands that make them ….. I believe our members should know which tire is above the others in performance. The most expensive tires are not always the best. The Vredestein Quatrac 5 isn't the most expensive, but it isn't the least expensive either..... I feel it is the BEST tire CURRENTLY available for Spyder use...… ( right now Simple Tire co. has the Quatrac 5 in 205/60-15 for the rear, for $60.00 a real bargain ). When I ride my RT, I push it to the limits ( & occasionally beyond ) when I'm in the " Twistie's " ( on low traffic roads & only when they are dry ) …. Wet road riding is sometimes un-avoidable, you really, really want ( and deserve ) is the best you can have - from a Safety standpoint. The Spyders Stability Control function is a real life-saver in this area, but the Best wet weather tire helps the VSS system …… WOW did I get off-track from what I started to answer …….. " Sultan of tires " :roflblack: is cute but not necessary ……… To sum this up, the true key for Auto tires on any Spyder is the PSI you use. I have mine at 15 psi front and 17 psi rear, and these will work for any Spyder at any load, including towing ( a tongue weight of 40lbs. max ) …………. Ride safe - ride happy ………. Mike :ohyea:

grieppc
04-11-2019, 07:41 PM
pw I thought you traded up to avoid tire replacement

VegasSpyder
04-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Hey Blueknight911.. retired Vegas LEO here too.
Thanks for the very lengthy technical write ups.

Stay safe.

PW2013STL
04-11-2019, 10:53 PM
pw I thought you traded up to avoid tire replacement

That was for my wife's :roflblack:

My 2015 F3s has Quatrac 5's on the front and will have one on the rear soon. If the rear handles like the front ones do - watch out trying to keep up in the twisties!

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Hey Blueknight911.. retired Vegas LEO here too.
Thanks for the very lengthy technical write ups.

Stay safe.

Good on you Bro :clap: ….. Myself & Peter Aawen have knowledge to share and we try to …… If you thought mine was lengthy ….. You'll think Peter writes books :roflblack: …… If & when you need new rubber - seriously look at the " Vredestein's " …… I have been recommending them now for about 6 mos., and all that have them are very, very happy with them …… I hope you try the PSI's I & Peter suggest also …… Thanks ….. Mike :ohyea:

JeriK
04-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Ok friends. I got lost somewhere in the discussions. :shocked:. I don't know much about tire sizes etc so I really need some help from the experts.
I ride a '16 F3 L. what tires should I get.

Thanks for the help
:helpsmilie:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-19-2019, 07:02 PM
Ok friends. I got lost somewhere in the discussions. :shocked:. I don't know much about tire sizes etc so I really need some help from the experts.
I ride a '16 F3 L. what tires should I get.

Thanks for the help
:helpsmilie:

" Vredestein Quatrac 5 " 175/55-15 front and 205/60 rear …………. MIke :ohyea:...…. And " teninospyder " just bought one at Simple tire for $60.00 ….. He stole it at that price

RICZ
04-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Apparently he stole the last one they had. I clicked that link and it states, "out of stock."

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Apparently he stole the last one they had. I clicked that link and it states, "out of stock."

That's at this moment …. next week could be a different outcome …...jmho ….. Mike :ohyea:

JeriK
04-20-2019, 10:19 AM
AWESOME! :bowdown: thanks for the help.. now I just have to find the rear tire :pray:. My local store has a 205/50-15. I have to get this done soon as we leave on a 7 week X-country trip at the end of next month and right now my rear tire is pretty much a slick.
would a 205/65 be too big?

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-20-2019, 01:43 PM
AWESOME! :bowdown: thanks for the help.. now I just have to find the rear tire :pray:. My local store has a 205/50-15. I have to get this done soon as we leave on a 7 week X-country trip at the end of next month and right now my rear tire is pretty much a slick.
would a 205/65 be too big?

No …. ( but a 60 aspect would be better imho ) ……… for an RT or F-3 …. NOT a Ryker ………………. Mike :ohyea:………….It would be very helpful ( mostly to you ) if we knew What tire you are talking about... Manufacturers make different ( actual ) size tires - 205/50-15 can actually be different ( size wise ) from 5,10, 15 different makers ….. The TIRE SIZE charts you see are a Mathematical Size, not what are actually made by any company. …...……...Mike :ohyea:

JeriK
04-20-2019, 02:35 PM
No …. ( but a 60 aspect would be better imho ) ……… for an RT or F-3 …. NOT a Ryker ………………. Mike :ohyea:………….It would be very helpful ( mostly to you ) if we knew What tire you are talking about... Manufacturers make different ( actual ) size tires - 205/50-15 can actually be different ( size wise ) from 5,10, 15 different makers ….. The TIRE SIZE charts you see are a Mathematical Size, not what are actually made by any company. …...……...Mike :ohyea:

I am trying to get Vredestein Quatrac 5 all the way around. I found the 175/55-15 front tires but I can't seem to find the rear tire anywhere except by special order which may not come in time. My local TireRack store has Vredestein 205/50-15 and 205/65-15. Or I can get a Kumho rear tire stock size 225/50/15. I hate to mix the 2 different tires. So hubby thought that the 205/65/15 would be OK.. it looks like there is enough room for the suspension. Again I am on a '16 F3 Limited Special.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-20-2019, 04:43 PM
I am trying to get Vredestein Quatrac 5 all the way around. I found the 175/55-15 front tires but I can't seem to find the rear tire anywhere except by special order which may not come in time. My local TireRack store has Vredestein 205/50-15 and 205/65-15. Or I can get a Kumho rear tire stock size 225/50/15. I hate to mix the 2 different tires. So hubby thought that the 205/65/15 would be OK.. it looks like there is enough room for the suspension. Again I am on a '16 F3 Limited Special.
I suggested the "60 " in case you had an F-3 , the F-3's fender is closer to the tire than ANY RT …. I would get the " 65 "

JeriK
04-20-2019, 04:52 PM
I suggested the "60 " in case you had an F-3 , the F-3's fender is closer to the tire than ANY RT …. I would get the " 65 "

Going with the 65.. should be just fine.. :bowdown: Thanks again!

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-20-2019, 06:07 PM
Going with the 65.. should be just fine.. :bowdown: Thanks again!

If you are going with the " 65 " …. the Quatrac -5 tire also comes in a 215/65-15 ….. I think some of the " blokes " from down under run that size ….. Mike :ohyea:

JeriK
04-20-2019, 06:16 PM
If you are going with the " 65 " …. the Quatrac -5 tire also comes in a 215/65-15 ….. I think some of the " blokes " from down under run that size ….. Mike :ohyea:

Unfortunately they don't have the 215/65-15 in stock either .. next time I will order the tires well before I need them!! I am in a bind mostly because my Spyder dealer closed yesterday. I called during the week to make an appointment for tires and there was a message saying they were closing their doors. This is the second dealership in my area to close. The closest one now is about 60 miles away. I am starting to feel like I own an Indian :roflblack:

SteveandBelinda
04-22-2019, 09:52 AM
I don't see where Simple Tire even carries the Vredstein brand. Drop down menu for brands doesn't show they carry them at all. Just curious, I am thinking of replacing front with 33,000 on OEM tires, with still good tread, will changing front tires to a different tread pattern, and different size than OEM, effect the alignment that was done several years ago? Currently alignment is perfect.

Peter Aawen
04-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Fitting new tires won't effect the alignment any (well, it shouldn't unless the technician who does the job is a ham fisted incompetent type technician :opps: ) but it might effect the way your Spyder feels & rydes, usually for the better! :thumbup:

However, do be aware that many tire fitters use 40+psi to seat the bead on the new tires while fitting them, then don't reduce that pressure to something more appropriate after they've put the valve core in & refitted the wheel. Excessively high pressures like that on tires under the front of a Spyder will probably make the steering feel fantastically light & easy, and it might even feel really direct & responsive when the Spyder is on a good dry surface too, but you will be getting a much harsher ride than necessary, you'll be compromising suspension & tire wear as well as puncture resistance, and the tires will very likely have exceptionally poor wet road or 'less than ideal surface' traction & little if any hydroplaning resistance. :shocked:

So check the pressures in your newly fitted tires BEFORE ryding your Spyder home on them! For most of us, the lighter loads our laden Spyders impose upon the front tires when compared to the loads imposed when using the same tires under a car calls for pressures down in the mid teens; and I don't really think that the suspension arms would be strong enough to hold up a Spyder weighing enough to warrant running anything higher than about 20psi in a car tire fitted to a Spyder! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-22-2019, 08:44 PM
I don't see where Simple Tire even carries the Vredstein brand. Drop down menu for brands doesn't show they carry them at all. Just curious, I am thinking of replacing front with 33,000 on OEM tires, with still good tread, will changing front tires to a different tread pattern, and different size than OEM, effect the alignment that was done several years ago? Currently alignment is perfect.

I have PM's from a few members here who have bought them at Simple tire co. ...try Vulcan and or Tire rack ….. Mike :ohyea:

Easy Rider
04-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Fitting new tires won't effect the alignment any

Fronts, sure, but is it not fairly easy to re-mount the rear a bit "off" from when it was removed ??

JeriK
04-30-2019, 09:52 AM
Just got back from 700+ mile trip to Blue Ridge Mountains on my new Quatrac-5 tires. Can I say I felt like I was on a different bike? YES! what a huge difference in handling and the ride in general. The tires were smooth and steady on the highway at 80 mph and then in the mountain twisties.. OH MY! they stuck like glue.. I took corners faster and better than ever.. until the nanny kicked in :yes: A big thanks to you :bowdown: Mike for the help and recommendations on the tires. I love them!

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Just got back from 700+ mile trip to Blue Ridge Mountains on my new Quatrac-5 tires. Can I say I felt like I was on a different bike? YES! what a huge difference in handling and the ride in general. The tires were smooth and steady on the highway at 80 mph and then in the mountain twisties.. OH MY! they stuck like glue.. I took corners faster and better than ever.. until the nanny kicked in :yes: A big thanks to you :bowdown: Mike for the help and recommendations on the tires. I love them!

Thanks for your Thanks :clap: ..... I'm very glad your happy, my goal is try and spread the word on fantastic tires for Spyders ..... I think the Quatrac is a real winner ...... Mike :ohyea: .............. Can you tell us what PSI you have them at ???? ....15 psi would work best ..Thanks

JeriK
04-30-2019, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your Thanks :clap: ..... I'm very glad your happy, my goal is try and spread the word on fantastic tires for Spyders ..... I think the Quatrac is a real winner ...... Mike :ohyea: .............. Can you tell us what PSI you have them at ???? ....15 psi would work best ..Thanks

I am running 15psi in the front and 16 psi in the rear. What was so funny was the guy in the shop did not believe me that the pressure should be that low. I am a girl you know :dg2:. so he would only take them down to 25.. I felt like I was riding a bouncy ball on ice on the way out of the shop. My husband was laughing so hard he almost fell off his Harley. It was really funny :roflblack:. We got the pressure down after we got home.. I took the bike back out and it was awesome!!

sandeejs
04-30-2019, 09:37 PM
I really appreciate the info about car tires here. Problem I have is the installation. Have never done tire install or removal, especially since I no longer have a driveway or garage of my own. My current tires are good, so worry about it in a few months....
~Sandee~

tehrlich
04-30-2019, 10:25 PM
I ran my front car tires at 17 and they felt like they were like running in mud. Went to a much higher psi until I dialed in at 25psi. Love it. Would never go back. I know others that do not vocalize so much on these threads that run psi's closer to this too.

And here we go...... the big controversy of tire pressure and forum group think. :roflblack:

Easy Rider
05-01-2019, 08:40 AM
My current tires are good, so worry about it in a few months....
~Sandee~

BUT.....almost everybody who has changed to a different brand agree that the ones you have now are NOT "good"......if they are OEM Kenda's.

When the time comes, call around to ALL of the Spyder shops in your area......to see if any of them will mount tires that you carry in.
Even call shops that previously told you NO. My closest shop changed their mind in the last year.

Easy Rider
05-01-2019, 08:42 AM
And here we go...... the big controversy of tire pressure and forum group think. :roflblack:

Personal preference means a lot.
As does the specific brand and model of tires you have.
And maybe the model of Spyder too.

While I agree that in theory a stiffer tire should require less pressure, I would NEVER argue with anybody who prefers more.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-01-2019, 12:19 PM
I am running 15psi in the front and 16 psi in the rear. What was so funny was the guy in the shop did not believe me that the pressure should be that low. I am a girl you know :dg2:. so he would only take them down to 25.. I felt like I was riding a bouncy ball on ice on the way out of the shop. My husband was laughing so hard he almost fell off his Harley. It was really funny :roflblack:. We got the pressure down after we got home.. I took the bike back out and it was awesome!!

I didn't know you are a :dg2: .... but that is Great ....Intelligent woman on Spyders is a big +,:thumbup: ......... You can certainly have 16psi in the rear , I perfer 17psi , but that's me .... you are in the proper area for PSI's .... I have reached these PSI amounts based on schooling and training to be a Certified accident investigator as an LEO ............. PS these PSI's are for ALL Auto tires ( used on Spyders ) not just the Vredestein's ...... Have many happy miles on them ..... glad I could assist ..... Mike .....PPS please keep all of us informed on how they feel long-term .....especially if you ride in some wet weather .....:thumbup:

JeriK
05-01-2019, 09:42 PM
I will certainly let you know how they perform.. We are leaving on a cross country trip at the end of the month.. should be about 10,000 mi (give or take) Just hubby and I.. east coast through Arkansas and the Ozarks, over to San Diego, up the PCH to Seattle, over to Glacier National Park, down to Sturgis SD and then back home. There should be a good sampling of terrain roads and weather over our 7+ week trip to really see how the tires perform. I am looking forward to a FANTASTIC trip! :riding:

JeriK
05-01-2019, 09:59 PM
I had to take my Spyder to an independent bike shop to have them mount the car tires for me as my Spyder dealership closed unexpectedly. I think my dealership would have done it for me but maybe not. I would just look for a bike repair shop that works on trikes. They should be OK with it. I took the new tires up one day and brought the bike in a few days later when they had time to do the work. Change your tires Sandee.. you will be amazed at how your bike rides and feels. :2thumbs:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-02-2019, 12:12 AM
I will certainly let you know how they perform.. We are leaving on a cross country trip at the end of the month.. should be about 10,000 mi (give or take) Just hubby and I.. east coast through Arkansas and the Ozarks, over to San Diego, up the PCH to Seattle, over to Glacier National Park, down to Sturgis SD and then back home. There should be a good sampling of terrain roads and weather over our 7+ week trip to really see how the tires perform. I am looking forward to a FANTASTIC trip! :riding:

In that area is " Peel's Ferry " ( the only State owned ferry still in existence in the USA ) it's on Rt 125 ..... it is very, very " Twisty " ... it's in the Mark Twain forest .... There is also town hwy " H " ( that connects to 125 ) and it's even more twisty than 125 ..... not kidding this is my favorite ride when at Spyderfest ... I'm taking a few friends on the ride later this morning ...... just do Google maps and you can see for yourself how to access that Area ..... Mike :ohyea:

Beaudog
05-02-2019, 08:56 AM
Just a little nit picky But the state of Texas runs two state owned ferries every day.

https://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/ferry-schedules.html

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Just a little nit picky But the state of Texas runs two state owned ferries every day.

https://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/ferry-schedules.html

I stand corrected, but the folks in Arkansas apparently aren't aware of the Texas Ferries either ..... :roflblack::roflblack:...... I am always open to the facts and truths and Welcome them ..... Mike :ohyea:

RICZ
05-02-2019, 11:04 AM
I stand corrected, but the folks in Arkansas apparently aren't aware of the Texas Ferries either ..... :roflblack::roflblack:...... I am always open to the facts and truths and Welcome them ..... Mike :ohyea:
The Washington State Ferry System will argue that too BK. Many routes, many ferries on Puget Sound. Motorcycles have first on, first off privilege.

teninospyder
05-02-2019, 11:26 AM
The Washington State Ferry System will argue that too BK. Many routes, many ferries on Puget Sound. Motorcycles have first on, first off privilege.

The Washington State Ferry System is the largest in the United States, with twenty-nine vessels on ten routes serving twenty terminals in eight counties. It carries more than 11 million vehicles and 26 million passengers a year. :lecturef_smilie: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

RICZ
05-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Unless you forgot something valuable in Seattle, avoid it at all cost! The traffic there is gawd awful and Portland is not much better. I had a business where I traveled the west coast for over 40 years and can give you a lot of do's and don'ts. If interested, PM me and we can talk about it.

JeriK
05-03-2019, 08:35 AM
In that area is " Peel's Ferry " ( the only State owned ferry still in existence in the USA ) it's on Rt 125 ..... it is very, very " Twisty " ... it's in the Mark Twain forest .... There is also town hwy " H " ( that connects to 125 ) and it's even more twisty than 125 ..... not kidding this is my favorite ride when at Spyderfest ... I'm taking a few friends on the ride later this morning ...... just do Google maps and you can see for yourself how to access that Area ..... Mike :ohyea:

Sounds like a fun ride! I will add that to the list of roads we are going to target on the trip. Thanks Mike :dg1:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-03-2019, 09:28 AM
Sounds like a fun ride! I will add that to the list of roads we are going to target on the trip. Thanks Mike :dg1:

:thumbup::thumbup:........... If you ever want to do Vermont ... PM me, I have many spare bedrooms and I'm considered to be a Chef ..... Mike :ohyea:

bobbobtar
05-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Discount Tire will mount and balance your front tires just make sure you take out the center cap (which identifies it as a Spyder wheel) and if asked tell them the wheels came off your Smart car.

JeriK
05-03-2019, 04:17 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:........... If you ever want to do Vermont ... PM me, I have many spare bedrooms and I'm considered to be a Chef ..... Mike :ohyea:

We may take you up on that. We go through Vermont every year on way to Maine to visit friends in York Beach. Will let you know when we plan on the next trip. :cheers:

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-03-2019, 04:47 PM
We may take you up on that. We go through Vermont every year on way to Maine to visit friends in York Beach. Will let you know when we plan on the next trip. :cheers:

I don't need a lot of advance notice ... but the more the better just in case I won't be here ( not likely tho ) ..... Mike :ohyea:

JeriK
07-13-2019, 03:00 PM
OK friends.. just returned from 9500 mile cross country trip on my F3 with new Vredstein tires.. Many twisty roads and highways/interstates. My husband had a hard time keeping up with me on the twisties with his Harley. :trike: so I just rolled on past him. Love the tires! felt great on the road.. very grippy and solid in the curves as well as giving me that great snap when I straightened out from a sharp curve at speed. I am just blown away by the difference from the OEM tires. Thanks for the advice!!

RICZ
07-13-2019, 03:40 PM
JeriK...I see that you did not list a BajaRon swaybar, yet you are carving the twisties con brio. Is that right, no aftermarket swaybar?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-13-2019, 04:19 PM
OK friends.. just returned from 9500 mile cross country trip on my F3 with new Vredstein tires.. Many twisty roads and highways/interstates. My husband had a hard time keeping up with me on the twisties with his Harley. :trike: so I just rolled on past him. Love the tires! felt great on the road.. very grippy and solid in the curves as well as giving me that great snap when I straightened out from a sharp curve at speed. I am just blown away by the difference from the OEM tires. Thanks for the advice!!

:clap::clap::clap: …..Glad you like them ….. I just posted a Thread about those tires and Consumer Reports ( Yes that Consumer Reports ) :ohyea:

missouriboy
07-14-2019, 01:59 PM
After 1100+ miles with my new ones on the front, I must agree they give greater control. And a softer ride to boot (at 15psi). Plus it now tracks straight down the road instead of the old slight pull to the right... which I think was caused by a defective Kenda; it wore heavily on the inside half, while the other tire wore evenly all across.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-14-2019, 06:01 PM
After 1100+ miles with my new ones on the front, I must agree they give greater control. And a softer ride to boot (at 15psi). Plus it now tracks straight down the road instead of the old slight pull to the right... which I think was caused by a defective Kenda; it wore heavily on the inside half, while the other tire wore evenly all across.

Glad you like them ( Vredestein's ) ……….. If that Kenda wore mostly on the inside , I think the cause was poor alignment.... So I would watch the Vredestein tire that re-placed the Kenda ….. Mike :ohyea:

JeriK
07-14-2019, 08:26 PM
JeriK...I see that you did not list a BajaRon swaybar, yet you are carving the twisties con brio. Is that right, no aftermarket swaybar?

That is correct..no sway bar. Everything I read about them seems to indicate they are helpful when towing a trailer or riding 2 up.. I ride solo and don't tow so never thought I would benefit from that addition. Am I wrong?? I see a good bit about belt tensioners as well but never thought I needed one.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-14-2019, 09:55 PM
That is correct..no sway bar. Everything I read about them seems to indicate they are helpful when towing a trailer or riding 2 up.. I ride solo and don't tow so never thought I would benefit from that addition. Am I wrong?? I see a good bit about belt tensioners as well but never thought I needed one.

Concerning a Sway Bar like what Ron sells..... It will help your ride performance under All circumstances ...and no matter what you and / or passengers weigh...… IMHO, I would rather have a good Sway Bar as opposed to heavy duty Shocks and Springs.... They work in a similar fashion but not exactly the same ….. Mike :ohyea: