PDA

View Full Version : Deer Abby..I mean Warning

WATER SPYDER
06-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Just picked up a set of Bell # 01000-8 "Deer Warning". I live in and ride in a heavily wooded location, lots of deer. I was wondering if these warning devices really work.
Says to mount the devices side by side on a motorcycle's front fender. I not sure it will look good there. They state that they should be immediately above the front fender. (they don't know I have two front fenders.)
Further states;
The "Deer Warning" will not be effective if they are mounted on the sides of the fairing or the sides of the front wheels. Any obstacles, such as the fairings or wheels will make a shadow in the sound which is being produced by the "Deer Warning" devices which reduces their effectiveness...
ok so where do I mount them? :dontknow:

shunkmanitu
06-21-2009, 11:00 PM
ok so where do I mount them? :dontknow:[/quote]
Trash can.

NautiBrit
06-21-2009, 11:23 PM
There was an article in Motorcycle News some time ago that tested several deer warning devices and found them to be ineffective. So it may not matter much where you place them.

Saluda
06-22-2009, 04:39 AM
We bought our camp about 12 years ago. At that time we installed deer whistles on our vehicles. People ask if they work, in those 12 years we have never had a deer in front of us. Seen them on the side of the road or running away. For .99 cents we keep them on. (They've gone up in price a little since)

Firefly
06-22-2009, 08:33 AM
I've heard they are pretty useless - and even if they did get their attention - the deer may freeze up and stop in the middle of the road. Jackson county Michigan has the highest deer population in the US - and I ride thru those areas often - just need to be on your toes and keep your speed in check in known crossing areas.

rkteck
06-22-2009, 08:39 AM
All I can say is I have had them on my truck and have yet to hit a deer here in Phoenix!

M2Wild
06-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Top of your helmet .... :roflblack:

baldev
06-22-2009, 10:01 AM
All I can say is I have had them on my truck and have yet to hit a deer here in Phoenix!

They are all being BBQued thats why :popcorn:

Saluda
06-22-2009, 10:14 AM
We're talking NH with a minimum of 40 - 50 occurences. Draw your own conclusions.