PDA

View Full Version : Lunch boxes we had as kids

Rogue Hawk
03-29-2019, 01:44 PM
I don't know if kids now use them. But we sure did...well up to 6th grade when the bullies decided lunch boxes where for kids and destroyed them on site. We then all had to use paper bags to avoid their wrath.

I remember having this one. It had a game on the back side. It came with a spinner that decided the batter's fate. Very popular at recess.

wyliec
03-29-2019, 01:49 PM
I never did have a lunch box, only paper bags.

Rogue Hawk
03-29-2019, 02:59 PM

You must have been one of the cool kids

sandeejs
03-29-2019, 03:20 PM
[FONT=Georgia]I never did have a LUNCH!
And I walked to school every day.
Uphill both ways.
In the snow. All year long.

(I've been waiting for a chance to post that. Thanks, Wylie)

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2019, 05:09 PM
My most practical lunch box was a 50# nail cardboard box after my high school years. Got morning and afternoon coffee and snacks in there plus two sandwiches, snack, and jar of milk for lunch!

Here's an example.

jcthorne
03-29-2019, 05:33 PM
I had several through the years but this is the one I had the longest and liked the best:

canamjhb
03-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Hopalong Cassidy with matching thermos..... Early to mid-50s. Brown bag came after 5th grade. Hot school lunches started in 9th grade. Cost was 37 or 52 cents depending upon portion size. I always got the 52 cent size which has had a lasting effect that I regret today..... Jim

Chupaca
03-29-2019, 11:51 PM
Never had one .... we went home for lunch. Not that way anymore but we still thought they were awesome . :thumbup:

Two cats
03-30-2019, 03:14 PM
I carried one of my dads old work lunch boxes after mom got him a new one. The big high top one that had the large thermos in the top that was held in by a metal wire. And they was always painted black with white insides. But it was my dads and I was proud to use it even tho it was beat up and scratched all over from him taking it to work for years.:yes: Happy Trails to All.

RICZ
03-30-2019, 03:48 PM
Born in the depths of the Great Depression my school lunch was wrapped in newspaper or if I was luck, a brown paper bag. That carried through WWII. A REAL lunch box? You must have lived on the other side of the tracks.

Rogue Hawk
03-30-2019, 05:07 PM
I wondered what kids use now, so I amazon'ed it.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Soft-Lunch-Kit-Spiderman/dp/B0007LRRLM/ref=sr_1_34?keywords=kids+lunch+box&qid=1553983165&s=gateway&sr=8-34

They are soft cloth now. And I am sure they don't include a Thermos lined in glass like what we had.

canamjhb
03-30-2019, 05:20 PM
I wondered what kids use now, so I amazon'ed it.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Soft-Lunch-Kit-Spiderman/dp/B0007LRRLM/ref=sr_1_34?keywords=kids+lunch+box&qid=1553983165&s=gateway&sr=8-34

They are soft cloth now. And I am sure they don't include a Thermos lined in glass like what we had.

Remember having my share of broken thermos linings. Haven't thought about that in forever..... Jim

Rogue Hawk
04-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Remember having my share of broken thermos linings. Haven't thought about that in forever..... Jim

Yeah, imagine anyone trying to bring a thermos like that to market these days.

My mother would sometimes put a hot dog in a glass thermos and pore hot water in it. If you have never has a hot dog that has been steaming for a few hours you haven't lived.

Grandpot
04-01-2019, 10:42 AM
I carried one of my dads old work lunch boxes after mom got him a new one. The big high top one that had the large thermos in the top that was held in by a metal wire. And they was always painted black with white insides. But it was my dads and I was proud to use it even tho it was beat up and scratched all over from him taking it to work for years.:yes: Happy Trails to All.

I had the same, although it was all black. Made me feel grown up.

Two cats
04-05-2019, 08:29 PM
I had the same, although it was all black. Made me feel grown up.

yes those were the good old days. When it was not how nice the box looked but how you was so proud to have it. Even if it was just a paper bag that your mom or dad wrote your name on it so you knew it was yours. And the bag worked really well on field trip to the park or museum. :2thumbs:

pegasus1300
04-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Hopalong Cassidy with matching thermos..... Early to mid-50s. Brown bag came after 5th grade. Hot school lunches started in 9th grade. Cost was 37 or 52 cents depending upon portion size. I always got the 52 cent size which has had a lasting effect that I regret today..... Jim

Mine was the Lone Ranger