PDA

View Full Version : Coast to Coast trip

easysuper
03-29-2019, 12:30 PM
Now that I finally retired my wife and I are planing one of our bucket list rides. We are starting in Newport Oregon at the intersection of 101 and Hwy. 20. There is a highway sign that reads BOSTON 3,365 miles. We leave the last week of May as Hwy. 20 goes through Yellowstone Park and the plan is to ride Hwy. 20 all the way. What I'm looking for is points of interest CLOSE to hwy 20 that does not mean long detours. If you fellow spyderlovers have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. This includes Tourist traps, Great Food places and Historical markers. We have ridden to and through Yellowstone 3 times in the last three years but once we get to Greybull WY. and head to Casper it's all new territory. Hwy. 20 goes through Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Albany NY. Before ending at Fenway Park. We will return thru Niagara Falls heading west to Michigan so we can ride ride the tunnel of trees and across the Mackinac Bridge before heading to Door County to visit my 102 year old mother-in-law then down to Chicago again to start on Route 66 all the way to Santa Monica then 101 home. I have been on most of this route in bits and pieces as I have spent nearly 30 years as a traveling construction superintendent but my wife always stayed home and guarded the fort. We are planing on taking 2 1/2 - 3 months as when I was working it was always rush rush to the next site. Now we are planing on taking our sweet time, 200- 250 miles a day, no Iron butt rides this time out. So as I was saying if you have any points of interest, NEAR this route please feel free to pass them on. This trip is kind of sentimental for me as my dad did this on his Harley in 1937-1938 with his friend in a side car.

DGoebel
03-29-2019, 12:46 PM
Looking forward to your own trip reports, keep us apprised, maybe we can meet and travel along, share a meal etc, along the way.

ARtraveler
03-29-2019, 12:48 PM
:yes: Sounds like a great run ahead. Please keep us posted as you progress. :bowdown:

Mrbreeze
03-29-2019, 01:00 PM
When you get by Sandusky Ohio, pm me. We’ll meet up and go to dinner. I’m about 15 miles south of us 20.

PrairieSpyder
03-29-2019, 01:17 PM
When you’re ryding through the Sand Hills in North central Nebraska. When you get a chance to refuel, do it. Little towns are far apart.

Haikanko
03-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Good luck and keep us informed with pictures :)

Brentc
03-29-2019, 03:29 PM
In the buffalo area, Niagara Falls is a must see. And, let me know we’d love to meet up and grab lunch as your passing through!

campermac
03-29-2019, 06:53 PM
When you get to Pennsylvania let me know if you are coming across I-80 or the PA turn pike to the Northeast extension. Give me a shout, I would love to meet you and buy you and your wife a beer or maybe even dinner.

WisconsinDavid
03-29-2019, 07:11 PM
Have an awesome adventure. Enjoy summertime at your Door County stop and your trip through the U.P. and U.S. to get there. Keep us posted and ... Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!

RICZ
03-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Easysuper....I'll occasionally make sure the Vista House remains in good condition while you're gone. And do periodic quality checks on the food at Shirley's, The Falls Lodge and Skamania Lodge.

FalconAF
03-29-2019, 08:21 PM
What I'm looking for is points of interest CLOSE to hwy 20 that does not mean long detours. If you fellow spyderlovers have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

Don't know what you would consider a "long detour" but if you haven't ridden the Beartooth Highway (212) and Chief Joseph Highway (WY 296) near the eastern part of Yellowstone, they are both major "bucket list" rides. You can do the loop of them from Cody, WY in under 4 hours. I stayed in Cody overnight, left at 8 AM in the morning to ride both of them, and was back in Cody by noon for lunch. Go north from Cody to Belfry then west to Red Lodge, then ride Beartooth (212) headed west (sun is over your shoulder and the scenery is spectacular). The when you turn southeast on WY 296 (Chief Joseph) the sun is high enough so you aren't being blinded by it anymore. More spectacular scenery. When you get back to 120 (north of Cody) it's a short ride back to Cody. Get lunch, gas up, and press on for the rest of the day on your trip. For only a 4-hour detour, they are well worth the time to ride them.

easysuper
03-29-2019, 08:36 PM
We have done the Beartooth on all three trips to Deadwood, one time we stayed the weekend in Redlodge and rode back and forth all weekend. It is one of my all time favorite rides.
When I was working I built the Buffalo Wild Wings in Gillette WY. and rode the black hills nearly every weekend and several rides over Beartooth. Thanks for mentioning it.

easysuper
03-29-2019, 08:40 PM
I spent 10 months building the Petro Travel Plaza in Carlisle and on one of my weekend rides I was down your way and ate at a Road House along the river that had some of the best peel and eat Shrimp I've ever had. cant remember where exactly but it was a real Dive Bar.

Jimbo
03-29-2019, 08:52 PM
We live 8 houses from rt 20 about 25 miles northeast of Cleveland. President Garfield's house is right on 20, in Cleveland you have the Rock Hall of fame a little further east is Geneva on the lake, Eddie's grill is a must stop. Painesville has riders tavern, good food some rooms to stay in, used to be a stop on the underground railroad.

Bfromla
03-29-2019, 09:14 PM
Now that I finally retired my wife and I are planing one of our bucket list rides. We are starting in Newport Oregon at the intersection of 101 and Hwy. 20. There is a highway sign that reads BOSTON 3,365 miles. We leave the last week of May as Hwy. 20 goes through Yellowstone Park and the plan is to ride Hwy. 20 all the way. What I'm looking for is points of interest CLOSE to hwy 20 that does not mean long detours. If you fellow spyderlovers have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. This includes Tourist traps, Great Food places and Historical markers. We have ridden to and through Yellowstone 3 times in the last three years but once we get to Greybull WY. and head to Casper it's all new territory. Hwy. 20 goes through Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Albany NY. Before ending at Fenway Park. We will return thru Niagara Falls heading west to Michigan so we can ride ride the tunnel of trees and across the Mackinac Bridge before heading to Door County to visit my 102 year old mother-in-law then down to Chicago again to start on Route 66 all the way to Santa Monica then 101 home. I have been on most of this route in bits and pieces as I have spent nearly 30 years as a traveling construction superintendent but my wife always stayed home and guarded the fort. We are planing on taking 2 1/2 - 3 months as when I was working it was always rush rush to the next site. Now we are planing on taking our sweet time, 200- 250 miles a day, no Iron butt rides this time out. So as I was saying if you have any points of interest, NEAR this route please feel free to pass them on. This trip is kind of sentimental for me as my dad did this on his Harley in 1937-1938 with his friend in a side car. :dontknow: is there a matching sign in Boston 3,365 miles to Newport??:dontknow::doorag: want so see pics of both please:firstplace:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-29-2019, 09:49 PM
Are you camping or hotelling it, or both? If hotel the first good place to stop, as you probably know, is Ontario, OR. I'd love to meet you there for breakfast at a great little mom & pop place called Plaza Inn. Then you'll pass within 2 blocks of my home when you get to Parma. In Parma is the Old Fort Boise Replica museum. There's also a monument down by the Snake River where the original Fort Boise was located. It was a trading post for the Hudson Bay company. In Boise the Idaho State Historical Museum has recently reopened after about a $17 million expansion and renovation. If you're camping, and your schedule suggests it, Parma has a nice little park at the Old Fort Boise Replica site.

Right on US 20 in the Idaho desert is the National Landmark EBR-I, Experimental Breeder Reactor I, where electricity was generated from nuclear power for the first time anywhere in the world. It's open Memorial Day to Labor Day. And before that there's the Craters of the Moon National Monument, which US 20 goes through, if you haven't toured it yet.

If you've never done it before, one good way to find historical places along the route is search for something like "museums near highway US 20" in Google Maps. You'll need to refresh the page as you pan the map from side to side. I've found lots of places I had no idea existed by searching this way.

Fjrwillie
03-30-2019, 04:26 AM
You can do one Iron Butt Ride that is at your leisure. The National Park Tour, which is a natural for your cross country tour. 50 Parks, Memorials, Battlefields, affiliated sites and 25 states. http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/npt/

Willie

easysuper
03-30-2019, 10:31 AM
We live 8 houses from rt 20 about 25 miles northeast of Cleveland. President Garfield's house is right on 20, in Cleveland you have the Rock Hall of fame a little further east is Geneva on the lake, Eddie's grill is a must stop. Painesville has riders tavern, good food some rooms to stay in, used to be a stop on the underground railroad.

Thanks for the tips, this is exactly what we're looking for.

easysuper
03-30-2019, 10:33 AM
:dontknow: is there a matching sign in Boston 3,365 miles to Newport??:dontknow::doorag: want so see pics of both please:firstplace:

There is a matching sign, and we will make sure to take a photo.

easysuper
03-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Are you camping or hotelling it, or both? If hotel the first good place to stop, as you probably know, is Ontario, OR. I'd love to meet you there for breakfast at a great little mom & pop place called Plaza Inn. Then you'll pass within 2 blocks of my home when you get to Parma. In Parma is the Old Fort Boise Replica museum. There's also a monument down by the Snake River where the original Fort Boise was located. It was a trading post for the Hudson Bay company. In Boise the Idaho State Historical Museum has recently reopened after about a $17 million expansion and renovation. If you're camping, and your schedule suggests it, Parma has a nice little park at the Old Fort Boise Replica site.

Right on US 20 in the Idaho desert is the National Landmark EBR-I, Experimental Breeder Reactor I, where electricity was generated from nuclear power for the first time anywhere in the world. It's open Memorial Day to Labor Day. And before that there's the Craters of the Moon National Monument, which US 20 goes through, if you haven't toured it yet.

If you've never done it before, one good way to find historical places along the route is search for something like "museums near highway US 20" in Google Maps. You'll need to refresh the page as you pan the map from side to side. I've found lots of places I had no idea existed by searching this way.

Weather permitting we will be camping out most of the time and if camping is allowed at the park in Parma we will camp there. Our first night will be in Bend as we have friends there and the Ontario area was our second stop. I am very familiar with hwy 20 all the way to Cody, as a kid my family would take a trip to Roundup MT. every summer to my grandparents and by my late teens I had been to Yellowstone 14 times, my dad loved road trips and would have us kids plan the route, teaching us geography without us ever realizing it. Last year on our way to Deadwood we stopped at EBR-1 , and somehow I managed to lose one of my gloves at the Craters of the Moon and by the time we got to Cody I had sunburned the heck out of my left hand.We will most definitely contact you when we are headed your way.

easysuper
03-30-2019, 10:57 AM
You can do one Iron Butt Ride that is at your leisure. The National Park Tour, which is a natural for your cross country tour. 50 Parks, Memorials, Battlefields, affiliated sites and 25 states. http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/npt/

Willie

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into this.

4 MARIE
03-30-2019, 10:23 PM
you told us everything about this trip...except what vehicle you are doing it on or in.
Are you going to be on a Spyder? or a tour bus. just saying...

spyderjim
03-30-2019, 11:23 PM
If you are seriously intending to ride only Rt.20 all the way, I might suggest a bypass when you get to Rockford, IL. I would not suggest you take Rt.20 all the way through Chicago and its suburbs. Terrible traffic, stop light after stop light, and as you start heading south from downtown Chicago you will pass through some areas where much care would need to be taken. Rt. 20 crosses I90 at Rockford. Jump on I90 and take it east to South Bend, IN, visit the University of Notre Dame, and pick up Rt.20 again headed east. Or, stay on I90 all the way to Toledo and then pick up I90 again. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago, Lake in the Hills, and I am about 9 miles from Rt.20, just south & east of where Rt.20 goes through Marengo, IL. If I can be of any help when you come through the area, PM me and I'll give you my phone #. Have a great trip, and a safe ride.

easysuper
03-30-2019, 11:28 PM
you told us everything about this trip...except what vehicle you are doing it on or in.
Are you going to be on a Spyder? or a tour bus. just saying...

The first sentence in my OP was our dream Bucket List Ride.(just saying) We both ride RT limited's, my bride for the last 44 years rides a 2015 now and I have a 2014. I pull a Aspen pop up trailer and she pulls a cargo trailer. I have ridden 2 wheels for over 50 years but she only started riding by herself 5 years ago when she bought her first Spyder as a retirement gift to herself. Her first year of riding she put 35,000 miles on her Spyder, not bad for a 65 year young lady.

easysuper
03-30-2019, 11:42 PM
If you are seriously intending to ride only Rt.20 all the way, I might suggest a bypass when you get to Rockford, IL. I would not suggest you take Rt.20 all the way through Chicago and its suburbs. Terrible traffic, stop light after stop light, and as you start heading south from downtown Chicago you will pass through some areas where much care would need to be taken. Rt. 20 crosses I90 at Rockford. Jump on I90 and take it east to South Bend, IN, visit the University of Notre Dame, and pick up Rt.20 again headed east. Or, stay on I90 all the way to Toledo and then pick up I90 again. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago, Lake in the Hills, and I am about 9 miles from Rt.20, just south & east of where Rt.20 goes through Marengo, IL. If I can be of any help when you come through the area, PM me and I'll give you my phone #. Have a great trip, and a safe ride.

Thanks for the tip, We will mostly stick to Hwy 20 just so we can say we did it. I'm a little familiar with the Rockford area as I rebuilt the Oasis on 90 in Belvidere about 10 years ago and stayed in a campground on 20 just East of Belvidere. We are not super slab lovers and in no hurry and like to take the slow lane. I have criscrossed this great country time after time but always in a hurry to get from one job site to the next. I always tried to take a few weekends off and site-see and now I get to share some of the great places I only briefly had time to see. I'll PM you and hope we can meet up.

Bfromla
03-31-2019, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely look into this.:thumbup:
You may get to accomplish several levels, IF you keep proper records as you go:firstplace::yes::yes:driver & passenger :2thumbs::clap:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-31-2019, 01:30 AM
Although we have not always been on the best of terms yada yada ……….. When / if you go thru Central VT. ( check 05660 ) You are welcome to stay at my house ( or my yard if you prefer :roflblack: ) for a day/s or a week ….. Since you are coming all the way acros the country let me suggest Two things you might want to consider ….. Mt. Washington ( you drive to the top - highest in New Eng. ) and Acadia Natl. park ( 3rd. most popular ) …. they are well worth it …..jmho ….. Mike :ohyea:

easysuper
03-31-2019, 11:06 AM
Although we have not always been on the best of terms yada yada ……….. When / if you go thru Central VT. ( check 05660 ) You are welcome to stay at my house ( or my yard if you prefer :roflblack: ) for a day/s or a week ….. Since you are coming all the way acros the country let me suggest Two things you might want to consider ….. Mt. Washington ( you drive to the top - highest in New Eng. ) and Acadia Natl. park ( 3rd. most popular ) …. they are well worth it …..jmho ….. Mike :ohyea:

Thanks Mike,
I was hoping to hear from you. We will try our best to ride to the top of Mt. Washington , it looks like the road starts in Glen House. I did a job in Portland Maine and managed a trip out to Acadia park about 10 years ago. My wife and I stayed at a B&B in Bar Harbor and we ate at a restaurant on a dock and I ate a 3 pound Lobster. Maine reminds me a lot of parts of Oregon. The invite is great and is also reciprocated the same at my house, I see you started to ski again and you can ski year round on Mt. Hood and my family has a cabin in Brightwood about 30 minutes from Timberline Lodge.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-31-2019, 11:24 AM
Thanks Mike,
I was hoping to hear from you. We will try our best to ride to the top of Mt. Washington , it looks like the road starts in Glen House. I did a job in Portland Maine and managed a trip out to Acadia park about 10 years ago. My wife and I stayed at a B&B in Bar Harbor and we ate at a restaurant on a dock and I ate a 3 pound Lobster. Maine reminds me a lot of parts of Oregon. The invite is great and is also reciprocated the same at my house, I see you started to ski again and you can ski year round on Mt. Hood and my family has a cabin in Brightwood about 30 minutes from Timberline Lodge.

Thanks back and your very welcome :clap: …. if you've done the Acadia thing :yes: it probably hasn't changed much …. my family has gone there at least a dozen timse the kids loved it as well as I did …..The best lobster I ever ate ( and I've had quite a few ) was at a " Lobster Pound " just before the bridge into Bar Harbor …. they knew how to cook them to Perfection - boiled in Seawater along with the KELP, hands down the best way to get it …... Yep got back into the Ski thing Big time ( 60 days this season ). Please keep me posted on your itinerary as you progress across the country …… Safe travels ………. Mike :ohyea:...

Jimbo
03-31-2019, 11:45 AM
Mt Washington & Acadia are awesome, Been there a couple times on 4 wheels,.
A buddy of mine & I are doing mt Washington on 2 wheels last week of August

Zoot
03-31-2019, 11:49 AM
<snip> Terrible traffic, stop light after stop light, and as you start heading south from downtown Chicago you will pass through some areas where much care would need to be taken. Rt. 20 crosses I90 at Rockford. Jump on I90 and take it east to South Bend, IN, visit the University of Notre Dame, and pick up Rt.20 again headed east. <snip>

Heck, if you're in South Bend, visit the Studebaker museum..

easysuper
03-31-2019, 12:28 PM
Heck, if you're in South Bend, visit the Studebaker museum..

My dad was a Studebaker fan, my first trip to Yellowstone was in a 52 Champion, I learned to drive in a 64 pickup, sounds like a great place to visit, thanks for the tip.

Nokesy
03-31-2019, 01:10 PM
One thing that you might try is going across Lake Michigan on the last Coal Fired ship in the US. It is a great relaxing 4 hour ride and you miss Chicago.

al0vely
03-31-2019, 05:04 PM
One thing that you might try is going across Lake Michigan on the last Coal Fired ship in the US. It is a great relaxing 4 hour ride and you miss Chicago.

Yep this is a nice ride on the Badger - we took it in a vehicle many years ago.

easysuper
03-31-2019, 08:13 PM

My wife will not get on any ship or boat as she has an inner ear condition and will get motion sick like you would not believe. Besides Chicago is a great City to visit, just would not want to live there.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-31-2019, 09:34 PM
Besides Chicago is a great City to visit, just would not want to live there.
In contrast to NE Texas which is a great place to live, just wouldn't want to visit there! [Sorry for the momentary hijack!]

bikerbillone
04-01-2019, 07:12 AM
The first sentence in my OP was our dream Bucket List Ride.(just saying) We both ride RT limited's, my bride for the last 44 years rides a 2015 now and I have a 2014. I pull a Aspen pop up trailer and she pulls a cargo trailer. I have ridden 2 wheels for over 50 years but she only started riding by herself 5 years ago when she bought her first Spyder as a retirement gift to herself. Her first year of riding she put 35,000 miles on her Spyder, not bad for a 65 year young lady.

Holy Christmas, that is impressive.

White Wolf
04-01-2019, 11:20 AM
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/22635
Check this link out. This is located about 1 mile South of Route 20 in Ashtabula, Ohio.

easysuper
04-01-2019, 11:31 AM
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/22635
Check this link out. This is located about 1 mile South of Route 20 in Ashtabula, Ohio.

Thanks for the tip, we have many covered bridges in Oregon and have led tours to some of them with our Spyder club. We will definitely try to make the detour and see this one.

White Wolf
04-01-2019, 11:56 AM
Also, if it happens to be lunch time....about 5 miles East of Ashtabula, Ohio,in North Kingsville Ohio,right off route 20,on route193 is a place, Covered Bridge Pizza which is an actual covered bridge that was disassembled, then reassembled to create this nostalgic restaurant.....about 100 Feet off Route 20 on Route 193. So no big detour. Then......about 8 to 10 miles further East on Route 20 is the White Turkey, drive in 50s style drive in restaurant, that has good burgers, and Root beer Floats.....Your will see this place on the North side of Route 20, just East of Conneaut Ohio.....

Deanna777
04-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Mt Washington & Acadia are awesome, Been there a couple times on 4 wheels,.
A buddy of mine & I are doing mt Washington on 2 wheels last week of AugustHI, This year "The Mount Washington Cog Rail Way" is celebrating its 150th Anniversary throughout the year.

This is the AAA Northern New England Magazine.

Sorry for getting off the topic.

Deanna

holyhill1
04-01-2019, 03:21 PM
WOW. I can't hardly wait for the day my wife and I can try a trip like this to cross off a bucket list item. Can't help you out with much info except on your leg through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and along the coast of lake Michigan through Wisconsin. We know some great stops along the lake to rest and spend the night and you must take a stop at Lambeau Field in Green Bay even if you are not a Packer Fan. We can put you up for a night in a Luxury tree house that we built after watching the Tree house master builders on the DIY network. Some campfire food and a few cold beverages and a night in the tree house with the birds and squirrels will be worth the stop. We are an hour out of green bay and would love to hear about your adventures on the open road. We just purchased a 2015 F3S spyder and are looking forward to riding it for the first time this year. Let me know what you want to do either way and we can hook up for a memory filled night in Wisconsin.

easysuper
04-01-2019, 08:49 PM
HI, This year "The Mount Washington Cog Rail Way" is celebrating its 150th Anniversary throughout the year.

This is the AAA Northern New England Magazine.

Sorry for getting off the topic.

Deanna

Not at all off topic Deanna, Mike already suggested Mt. Washington, and I considered the Rail Way but Ryding to the top sounds more fun !

easysuper
04-01-2019, 08:57 PM
WOW. I can't hardly wait for the day my wife and I can try a trip like this to cross off a bucket list item. Can't help you out with much info except on your leg through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and along the coast of lake Michigan through Wisconsin. We know some great stops along the lake to rest and spend the night and you must take a stop at Lambeau Field in Green Bay even if you are not a Packer Fan. We can put you up for a night in a Luxury tree house that we built after watching the Tree house master builders on the DIY network. Some campfire food and a few cold beverages and a night in the tree house with the birds and squirrels will be worth the stop. We are an hour out of green bay and would love to hear about your adventures on the open road. We just purchased a 2015 F3S spyder and are looking forward to riding it for the first time this year. Let me know what you want to do either way and we can hook up for a memory filled night in Wisconsin.

Sounds like a great time, we will definitely get in contact with you. We are a fan on Tree House Masters also. As a kid my friends and I built an entire fort including a elevated drawbridge fort in a grove of oak trees , we spent most of the summer building it and it consisted on 5 structures, one of my great childhood memories. We are excited to meet up and share some travel stories.

holyhill1
04-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Sounds great. We would love to hear about your travels and who doesn't love a tree house. I too built a tree house when I was a kid but nothing like the one I built last summer. This one was a childhood dream and now it has come to life. Life is good and happy trails to you and your wife as you complete this wonderful adventure.

Deanna777
04-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Not at all off topic Deanna, Mike already suggested Mt. Washington, and I considered the Rail Way but Ryding to the top sounds more fun !Also, here is an other suggestion: if you are going to be in the /or near Mount Washington area try the Kancamagus highway( Route 112) starts in the North Conway, New Hampshire area and goes East/West ends in Lincoln, New Hampshire. The Kancamagus highway is 35 miles long, before going on the Kancamagus highway gas up( since there is no gas stations on the Kancamagus highway) This is very scenic and has several outlook areas, and campgrounds along the way. At the end of Kancamagus highway in Lincoln, New Hampshire this town is a quaint town, tucked into the White Mountains. Full of things to do, see, restaurant's, and places to shop. Continue to Woodstock, New Hampshire, and visit the famous Truants Tavern or the Woodstock station. Also if needed visit the Woodstock Cycle works if you need any service done on the spyder.

I have rode on the Kancamagus highway several times in the previous years. The Kancamagus highway is 1 of my favorite spyder roads.
Deanna

easysuper
04-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Also, here is an other suggestion: if you are going to be in the /or near Mount Washington area try the Kancamagus highway( Route 112) starts in the North Conway, New Hampshire area and goes East/West ends in Lincoln, New Hampshire. The Kancamagus highway is 35 miles long, before going on the Kancamagus highway gas up( since there is no gas stations on the Kancamagus highway) This is very scenic and has several outlook areas, and campgrounds along the way. At the end of Kancamagus highway in Lincoln, New Hampshire this town is a quaint town, tucked into the White Mountains. Full of things to do, see, restaurant's, and places to shop. Continue to Woodstock, New Hampshire, and visit the famous Truants Tavern or the Woodstock station. Also if needed visit the Woodstock Cycle works if you need any service done on the spyder.

I have rode on the Kancamagus highway several times in the previous years. The Kancamagus highway is 1 of my favorite spyder roads.
Deanna

Thanks Deanna,
I got on Google and this looks like a great ride and has plenty of camping, If we have enough time to get north to Mt. Washington we will take this route heading back west. These are the types of suggestions we are looking for as nobody knows the rides better than the Locals or folks that have ridden them several times.

bmwlarry
04-03-2019, 09:33 AM
So jealous I love Coast to coast trips. April and I did one and I did one. Soooo much to see and soooo much to do and soooo little time. You and you wife will love this trip.

Deanna777
04-03-2019, 10:29 AM
Thanks Deanna,
I got on Google and this looks like a great ride and has plenty of camping, If we have enough time to get north to Mt. Washington we will take this route heading back west. These are the types of suggestions we are looking for as nobody knows the rides better than the Locals or folks that have ridden them several times.HI, Also off there is an road off the Kancamagus highway you should try it is called THE BEAR NOTCH ROAD, this road very smooth and excellent road for spyders. The Bear Notch Road starts near Jigger Johnson Campground and end in the Little town of Bartlett ( on Route 302 East/West). It is in the area of Attitash Mtn Resort. They close the Bear Notch Road in the winter. They have several scenic look outs.

Look up THE BEAR NOTCH ROAD on Google.

Deanna

easysuper
05-06-2019, 11:18 AM
Less than two weeks out and we head out on our Coast to Coast ride. Since we are riding West to East we decided to get new helmets with a visor to shade our eyes from the morning sun. Scorpion came out with a modular with the visor and we have had them for several weeks now and they really make a difference. We also changed our coms from Uclears to Sena 30K and they are a real improvement. My bride just had to accessorize her helmet.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Just sent you a PM.

bikerbillone
05-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Wow, an amazing and awesome journey, let's know how the Spyders perform.

easysuper
05-16-2019, 10:58 AM
Let the Journey begin !
We have been packing, making house sitting arrangements, installed drip systems on all the planters and we are heading out! The first week will start very slow as I need to spend several days in Bend Oregon helping my late mentors wife, sort and organize his tools as she wants to have a garage sale and clean out his man cave and she does not know the value of them. It will be a little bitter sweet as I go through them as he taught me how to earn a living and provide for my family with these tools. One of them I'm keeping is a Winchester Hand Saw that was one of his favorites.We actually rode down to Newport OR. last week when it wasn't raining to get a photo of the sign and I'm glad that we did as today is a rainy day and we will pick up our ride in Lebanon OR. and leave for Bend in the morning. Thank goodness for heated gear as there is still a lot of snow on the mountain passes and my bride does not like the cold, but with heated pants, jacket, and gloves she stays warm as toast.

RICZ
05-16-2019, 11:25 AM
I'm reminded of the old WWI song......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs5IH76mwCM
Bon Voyage folks.

Rickjfl
05-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Butler maps are a great option to have in the saddlebag. If you can swing it, the Custer Battlefield is hallowed ground..... There are hundreds of really great places to see and visit, you might get pushed for time with only 3 months...... LOL

easysuper
05-16-2019, 07:15 PM
Butler maps are a great option to have in the saddlebag. If you can swing it, the Custer Battlefield is hallowed ground..... There are hundreds of really great places to see and visit, you might get pushed for time with only 3 months...... LOL
The first time I was at Custers battle field was in the late 60s but as my OP said we are staying on Hwy. 20 . I have a number of Butler maps and have been in every state but two, as a construction superintendent. This time around I get to share the country with my bride.

easysuper
05-18-2019, 12:16 PM
We made it to Bend OR. We’re we will spend several days visiting some friends. It was misting on top of the passes when we crossed the Cascades. The spiders and trailers are behaving nicely . Will head out Wednesday morning aim or shine, looks like mostly light rain ahead for the next week. 172039

RICZ
05-18-2019, 12:31 PM
And so their long odyssey begins. Happy trails to you.

bikerbillone
05-18-2019, 07:21 PM
Following, following, following.....Thank you easysuper team.

easysuper
05-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Continued our journey today after spending 4 days in Bend OR helping my mentors wife sort his tools and getting ready for a sale, we made it across central and eastern Oregon and into Idaho where we will meet up with IdahoMtnSpyder and tour Old Fort Boise museum. The Oregon desert is greener than I have ever seen it before. We hope to be in Yellowstone in two days and it may snow.172223172224

easysuper
05-26-2019, 07:54 AM
Made it through Yellowstone yesterday and spent the night in Cody. The rain has held off with only a few showers, just enough to keep the Frog Togs on. The ride through Yellowstone stone was great no matter how many times I’ve been there. We have ridden through 4 times now and when I was a kid we went through every year on our annual trip to my grandparents. We hope to make Casper tonight but may take a detour off of 20 to stop at Independence Rock, I’ve been there but my bride hasn’t. And it’s a great piece of history for us adventurers.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Made it through Yellowstone yesterday and spent the night in Cody. The rain has held off with only a few showers, just enough to keep the Frog Togs on. The ride through Yellowstone stone was great no matter how many times I’ve been there. We have ridden through 4 times now and when I was a kid we went through every year on our annual trip to my grandparents. We hope to make Casper tonight but may take a detour off of 20 to stop at Independence Rock, I’ve been there but my bride hasn’t. And it’s a great piece of history for us adventurers.

:clap::clap::clap: …...……… Had you brought some SKI's you would have added an interesting talking point …. I've been prepping Max for your arrival :roflblack: …. and planning some Menu's :cheers:...……Let me know of any foods you would rather not Eat :coffee:……… Mike

easysuper
05-26-2019, 09:14 PM
:clap::clap::clap: …...……… Had you brought some SKI's you would have added an interesting talking point …. I've been prepping Max for your arrival :roflblack: …. and planning some Menu's :cheers:...……Let me know of any foods you would rather not Eat :coffee:……… Mike

My bride, not me,does not like liver and onions or gizzards anything thing else is good,:roflblack:u My sis is still skiing up at Timberline Lodge but it ends this weekend is mostly open for the Olympic training camp from now until it starts snowing again.

Vader
05-26-2019, 09:38 PM
Safe travels as you continue on you journey.
I suggest you stop in Lewiston NY, near Niagara Falls. Very beautiful town, nice resturants and an area you can stop along the Lower Niagara River. I go there a few times a year to fish.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2019, 10:27 PM
My bride, not me,does not like liver and onions or gizzards anything thing else is good,:roflblack:u My sis is still skiing up at Timberline Lodge but it ends this weekend is mostly open for the Olympic training camp from now until it starts snowing again.

:roflblack::roflblack: ….. Well have no fear - I've never cooked Gizzards …. But I also like Liver & Onions, I prefer calves liver ….. but that won't be on the menu either …… safe travels …. Mike :ohyea:

sandeejs
05-27-2019, 01:34 AM
....We will mostly stick to Hwy 20 just so we can say we did it......We are not super slab lovers and in no hurry and like to take the slow lane.....

I did version of this a few years ago. Took Route 30 - the Lincoln Highway - from Michigan to New York. On the way back, from Boston, I took Route 20. Fun until the heavens opened with a deluge.
Enjoy yourself and take your time!

~Sandee~

Little Blue
05-27-2019, 05:34 AM
:coffee: Enjoy your Time and Always RYDE SAFE. The story is a great one. Keep us in the loop with lots of different things.......:thumbup:

ksol5
05-27-2019, 08:01 AM
This is awesome, exactly what my wife and I are planning when we retire in 6-7 years. We didn't realize route 20 spans the whole country E->W, that is so cool!
Have a safe trip, take it all in and take a ton of pictures and post them here!

easysuper
05-27-2019, 06:32 PM
We had breakfast in Cody WY. At the Irma Hotel and Bar that Buffalo Bill Cody built in 1901, the bar was a gift from Queen Elisabeth in appreciation for a command performance he gave he while he was touring Europe with his troupe. It cost $100,000 back then and was made in France, sniped to NewYork, shiped by Train to Red Lodge MT. Freighted by wagon to Cody. The Hotel has survived because he built it out of Stone. I chased the little yellow trailer across Wyoming down along the Big Horn Mt. through the Wind River Canyon, I have a photo of my dad on his Harley there in 1938 on his big ride. We stayed the night in Douglas Wy.

easysuper
05-29-2019, 06:25 AM
Followed the little yellow trailer the rest of the way across Nebraska, the Sandhills were beautiful with lots of historical sites. The rain has held off, or we have been lucky. It’s been just enough showers to keep the Frog Togs on. We made it into Iowa yesterday. We have logged a little over 2000 miles and we are averaging 36 mpg. We are out of the mountains now so it may improve. Ellie gets better mpg as I’m pulling the heavier trailer and hers is more streamlined.172480172481172482

easysuper
05-30-2019, 07:14 AM
Not much to see in Iowa on Hwy 20 as it’s all 4 lane and fairly new, took about 4 hours to cross then into Illinois. We decided to spen the night in Galena as it’s a great place to shop,eat and see the sites.

easysuper
05-31-2019, 06:52 AM
We made to Elkhart Indiana yesterday after crossing Illinois which is very beautiful. The town of Galena is a great place to visit, the history is a little sad on the Indians point of view but again the history books are mostly written by the winner. We are making better time than I thought as we are chasing storms and not stopping as much as planned but when the weather gets nicer we will slow down. I thought I had the photo thing figured out but still have a hard time posting right side up photos.

Pirate looks at --
05-31-2019, 07:31 AM
Super, if these are coming from your phone, I have found that if you go into the photo and "edit" it, and save, it will post right side up! You don't really have to change anything, just edit and save. Be safe...but have fun!

Raprider
05-31-2019, 07:59 AM
I thought I had the photo thing figured out but still have a hard time posting right side up photos.

I'm happy enough to turn my head a bit just to follow your journey vicariously. Keep it coming and ryde safely! :2thumbs:

easysuper
06-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Super, if these are coming from your phone, I have found that if you go into the photo and "edit" it, and save, it will post right side up! You don't really have to change anything, just edit and save. Be safe...but have fun!

Thanks Pirate, I’ll try that, I could post photos from my PC, but I bought a new IPad for the trip and it’s giving me fits.

pegasus1300
06-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to bring us along on your trip. Beautiful pictures so far even sideways.
When you start your way back along Route 66,in Tucumcari NM you can get off I 40 and ride old Route 66 asphalt. Also schedule a stop at Cline's Corners ,NM . Great old tourist stop, lots of 66 memorabilia.
Safe trip, looking forward to your next report.

easysuper
06-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Made it through Indiana and Ohio decided to stop early today as it looks like some big thunderstorms ahead. Hey 20 in Cleveland beat the heck out of the trailers and bikes, roughest roads yet! Somewhere I picked up a cold and may go find me a hot tub ! The weather has been warm and we are wearing our mesh gear. The northern Indiana Amish country was really pretty, by 8:00 am the laundry was hanging out to dry.As a woodworker I had to stop and check a load of beautiful wood slabs , some were 60” wide and 4” thick and 12 foot long.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Made it through Indiana and Ohio decided to stop early today as it looks like some big thunderstorms ahead. Hey 20 in Cleveland beat the heck out of the trailers and bikes, roughest roads yet! Somewhere I picked up a cold and may go find me a hot tub ! The weather has been warm and we are wearing our mesh gear. The northern Indiana Amish country was really pretty, by 8:00 am the laundry was hanging out to dry.As a woodworker I had to stop and check a load of beautiful wood slabs , some were 60” wide and 4” thick and 12 foot long.

5 ft. WIDE that was some Tall tree …. I wonder where they found that ??? ………. I see you spend a lot of time on Rt 20 …. that goes thru Cleveland and then up to Buffalo in NY ( near Niagara Falls ) … I see it then goes to Albany NY …. but after that I can't find it …… wishing you DRY weather …. Mike :ohyea:

Lin
06-01-2019, 05:00 PM
5 ft. WIDE that was some Tall tree …. I wonder where they found that ??? ………. I see you spend a lot of time on Rt 20 …. that goes thru Cleveland and then up to Buffalo in NY ( near Niagara Falls ) … I see it then goes to Albany NY …. but after that I can't find it …… wishing you DRY weather …. Mike :ohyea:

Take a look at Wikipedia, Mike. It has the eastern terminus at Kenmore Square in Boston.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_20

easysuper
06-01-2019, 05:27 PM
The whole trip was about Hwy 20, Mike. It is the longest highway in the US. It is 3,365 miles long and runs from Newport Oregon to Boston. It terminates at Fenway Park. Going through Chicago was slow but we were determined to stay on it. I would not recommend going through Cleveland unless you’re as determined as we are. After we get to Boston we will head north to your neck of the woods to ride up Mt. Washington,then East to Niagara Falls into Canada then to Michigan so we can ride the tunnel of trees than across the Mackinaw Bridge. We hope the weather gets better but will take it as it comes, that’s why they call it an Adventure!

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Take a look at Wikipedia, Mike. It has the eastern terminus at Kenmore Square in Boston.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_20

OK thanks … I was looking at Google Maps and couldn't find it …… Mike :ohyea:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Hey Dave,
Did you ever get your GPS audio to come thru the speakers, or headset, or whatever it was you asked me about? If not, I remembered something after you were gone from here and kept forgetting to mention it. I found on my RTS if the radio is muted when you start up, the GPS audio doesn't play. You have to have the radio audio turned on until the first time you get audio from the GPS. Then you can mute the radio and GPS audio will continue to come through. Since I almost always have the radio playing and don't use the GPS much I had completely forgotten this little tidbit.

easysuper
06-02-2019, 05:55 PM
The little yellow trailer led me out of Ohio and up through Pennsylvania along Lake Erie then into New York today. It rained until about 2 pm. My domestic affiliate wanted to stop at a winery before we left the Lake Erie wine country so we stop to check one out. This family has been growing grapes and making wine for 150 years. Good thing she had room in the little yellow trailer!

bikerbillone
06-02-2019, 07:17 PM

Kept searching this thread until I could find out more about what you both were riding and the trailers, now I know. What amazed me was your brides mileage, egads....Kudos to you both, I am impressed. Wm

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-02-2019, 09:25 PM
The little yellow trailer led me out of Ohio and up through Pennsylvania along Lake Erie then into New York today. It rained until about 2 pm. My domestic affiliate wanted to stop at a winery before we left the Lake Erie wine country so we stop to check one out. This family has been growing grapes and making wine for 150 years. Good thing she had room in the little yellow trailer!

You are getting closer :clap:...…......Mike :ohyea:

stillriding
06-03-2019, 05:08 AM
172615172616I saw you guys at 5:05pm, last Friday on route 57 in Elyria, OH.

easysuper
06-03-2019, 05:26 AM
I saw you guys at 5:05pm, last Friday on route 57 in Elyria, OH.

We had been to Westlake where the company I used to work for had an office. Then we were looking for dinner.

wrb3004
06-03-2019, 07:15 AM
Congratulations on your trip so far. Sounds like you are in the Buffalo area and not too far the Fingerlakes region. We live not far off of route 20 near Canandaigua and ride route 20 all of the time. We take route 20 most of the way when traveling to the Spyderquest in Lake George. As you come into Waterloo there is an old eatery called Macs Drive In that has good food and noted for there root beer. They have drive up service (for a car) along with a large snack bar and outside tables. Good luck on your adventure.

Pirate looks at --
06-03-2019, 01:07 PM
Hey Super, looks like you got that picture thing “straightened out”! Looks like you are having a blast!

easysuper
06-03-2019, 06:59 PM
Stayed just out of Buffalo last night and this morning was cool enough that I put my heated liner on , not cold but just enough to keep it on low. We made it to Albany and Hwy. 20 across that part of New York of the finger lakes is beautiful, I was up there about 12 years ago when I was building restaurants . I never get tired of looking at the old buildings and think of the master craftsmen that built them. Those guys were REAL carpenters and masons. We should make Boston tomorrow and have mortgaged the house to book a room next to Fenway Park.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-03-2019, 07:11 PM
The weather will be getting better here in Vt. - starting Thurs/ Fri ….. and Boston is Uber Expensive ….. that won't be an issue at my house :thumbup::yes::yes: ……...and the food is also free :roflblack:...……...later …. Mike :ohyea: ...………. PS you mentioned " Mt. Washington " …. If the day is even slightly cloudy don't bother ….. you won't see a thing from the Top ….. Mike .. :ohyea:

easysuper
06-05-2019, 04:56 AM
I managed to follow the little yellow trailer to Boston yesterday,the weather has started to get better and that makes for a more enjoyable ride, we are going to swing south today and ride through Road Island and Connecticut so I can cross the last two states off my list. Then we plan on heading north to Bluenight country where we want to ride to the top of Mt. Washington. Boston is not my kind of fun but a great place to say you’ve been there.We found the sign by our hotel and I wanted to run the bikes up on the sidewalk and take a photo but the Executive committee vetoed the idea and won so we talked a passing native into taking our photo.

Lin
06-05-2019, 05:21 AM
Congratulations on your Hwy 20 coast to coast!!! If you need a place for the night near the Mt Washington auto road, I can recommend, The Glenn House. Very comfortable, nice staff and reasonably priced. Enjoy New England!

RICZ
06-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Mozel Tov you two! You made it and lived to tell the tale, which all us armchair travelers here enjoyed. But there's more to come and we can't wait to hear about the rest of your odyssey.

easysuper
06-06-2019, 06:55 AM
Picked up my last two states yesterday and added two more to Ellies list before heading North to Vermont. It looks like the weather may improve a bit and we are ready for some sunshine. The country roads are in fair shape and the bikes are appreciating that as they have taken a pounding on Hwy 20 sometimes.

RICZ
06-06-2019, 10:34 AM
The sign behind the Welcome to Rhode Island sign, does it read Leaving Rhode Island? A meal at the White Horse Tavern in Newport is a historical treat.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-06-2019, 10:42 AM
The sign behind the Welcome to Rhode Island sign, does it read Leaving Rhode Island? A meal at the White Horse Tavern in Newport is a historical treat.

" Shrimp Scampy " with chilled marinated Asparagus , will be even better :clap::2thumbs:...…………….Mike :ohyea:

Deanna777
06-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Picked up my last two states yesterday and added two more to Ellies list before heading North to Vermont. It looks like the weather may improve a bit and we are ready for some sunshine. The country roads are in fair shape and the bikes are appreciating that as they have taken a pounding on Hwy 20 sometimes.
172729172730172731172732When you get to VERMONT take route 100 it runs north and south thru the state.
Deanna

safecracker
06-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Do Smugglers Notch in Vermont. Great ride. Bruce

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Do Smugglers Notch in Vermont. Great ride. Bruce

Bruce , they are staying with me for a few ( or more days ) … tomorrow we are doing Mt. Washington, we will do Smugs , Rt 17. RT 125 and a few others depending on the weather ….. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they enjoy my cooking :2thumbs:...…….. Mike :ohyea:

Deanna777
06-07-2019, 06:57 PM
172729172730172731172732Welcome to Vermont! and enjoy the rides that mike takes you on. We have some great scenery, take a lot of Vermont pictures,and post on here.

You might see me on the road somewhere, I have 2014 RTS-SE6 cognac with a painted dashboard and other farkles.
Deanna

Jaxfann
06-07-2019, 07:51 PM
I managed to follow the little yellow trailer to Boston yesterday,the weather has started to get better and that makes for a more enjoyable ride, we are going to swing south today and ride through Road Island and Connecticut so I can cross the last two states off my list. Then we plan on heading north to Bluenight country where we want to ride to the top of Mt. Washington. Boston is not my kind of fun but a great place to say you’ve been there.We found the sign by our hotel and I wanted to run the bikes up on the sidewalk and take a photo but the Executive committee vetoed the idea and won so we talked a passing native into taking our photo.

Great stuff - thanks for all your posts - glad you and your wife made it safe and sound - good luck on your trip back!

bikerbillone
06-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Yes, I enjoyed it as well, I wanted to see how the RTs performed and apparently they both did a really good job, especially the one pulling the camper. Well done....

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-08-2019, 09:54 PM
Welcome to Vermont! and enjoy the rides that mike takes you on. We have some great scenery, take a lot of Vermont pictures,and post on here.

You might see me on the road somewhere, I have 2014 RTS-SE6 cognac with a painted dashboard and other farkles.
Deanna

They are 99.99% sure they saw you today ( 6/8 ) at the gas station near Ben & Jerry's …………….. Mike :ohyea:

Deanna777
06-09-2019, 06:59 PM
They are 99.99% sure they saw you today ( 6/8 ) at the gas station near Ben & Jerry's …………….. Mike :ohyea:Yes I was there at a gas station on (6/8) and I saw them at a sign at the entrance of Ben &Jerry's and I gave them a :thumbup:. I thought that was them on Route 100 near the gas station( in Waterbury). Deanna

Caven
06-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Consider getting the Annual Senior's Pass for the National Park System. I recall $80 for the year and it gets access for the bike and both passengers. Unlimited across USA, and unlimited in numbers of time you may want to ride any particular Park. A fabulous discount for Seniors.

Caven

ned64
06-09-2019, 10:59 PM
The senior pass costs $80 but is good for the rest of your life. It dosent expire after a yr. Iv had mine 3 yrs an its still good. If your under 62 years old you can buy a pass thats good for 1 yr for $80. At 62 years old you buy the senior pass thats good for life.
yes I bought mine for $10 dollars right before the price hike to $80

Bfromla
06-10-2019, 05:30 AM
Group pics :dontknow:just a suggestion hopefully not too late:thumbup::doorag:

easysuper
06-10-2019, 01:42 PM
The senior pass costs $80 but is good for the rest of your life. It dosent expire after a yr. Iv had mine 3 yrs an its still good. If your under 62 years old you can buy a pass thats good for 1 yr for $80. At 62 years old you buy the senior pass thats good for life.

I bought the senior pass when they were $10.00 . We have been riding the wonderful state of Vermont for the last 4 days with Mike Long (BlueKnight911) he has been treating us like VIPs I will post photos when I get some WiFi to my I pad we get back on the road tomorrow or Wednesday and head for Corning NY before Niagara Falls

Brentc
06-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Weather here in NY is looking good for tomorrow, enjoy the ride and stay safe!

easysuper
06-11-2019, 01:29 PM
We have been living large in Vermont thanks to the great hospitality from Mike Long. He has led us on some fantastic rides and even to the top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire . We hate to leave the great weather but it’s time to head to Wisconsin. We will remember Vermont thanks to Mike.
172886[ATTACH=CONFIG]172887172888172889172890

DGoebel
06-12-2019, 08:29 AM
EasySuper, our MN Caswell / Spyderlovers group will be travelling up to the Bayfield, Ashland WI area this weekend, what's your planned time and location in WI? We'd love to meetup if possible, maybe share a meal and some stories.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-12-2019, 08:50 AM
EasySuper, our MN Caswell / Spyderlovers group will be travelling up to the Bayfield, Ashland WI area this weekend, what's your planned time and location in WI? We'd love to meetup if possible, maybe share a meal and some stories.

As I posted in another Thread - they just left Vt. and are headed to Buffalo / Niagara Falls, Dave was thinking three days to get there …. Their plan was to go into Canada and take the Mackinaw bridge across the Lake..... His cell phone should work now that they are out of Vt., so I'm sure He will see your post and add info …. you could leave Him a PM also …… Mike :ohyea:

easysuper
06-12-2019, 03:28 PM

We will be heading through Green Bay from the North sometime between the 20-22nd heading up to Door County .

easysuper
06-13-2019, 04:47 AM
We left Vermont and headed west to New York, crossed over the Champlain bridge and up over the Adirondacks which are beautiful. We ended up in Middleville where Ellie could check out the Herkimer diamonds and buy some souvenirs.

Deanna777
06-13-2019, 06:57 PM
We have been living large in Vermont thanks to the great hospitality from Mike Long. He has led us on some fantastic rides and even to the top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire . We hate to leave the great weather but it’s time to head to Wisconsin. We will remember Vermont thanks to Mike.
172886[ATTACH=CONFIG]172887172888172889172890

The second to last picture is a Granite Quarry ( in Graniteville,VT).
Deanna

easysuper
06-14-2019, 06:07 AM
We made it Corning after riding in the rain all day and when we stopped for a room it stopped raining, we were close to the Corning Glass Museum so we walked, I had been there before but I really wanted Ellie to see it. They have glass that goes back 4,000 years.

easysuper
06-14-2019, 05:05 PM
Made it to Niagara Falls then stopped for the night in Saint Catharines, we may lay over a day and check out the wine country. We did manage to find some pretty good Poutine.

Woodaddict
06-14-2019, 05:27 PM
How about that top of Mt Washington! Big chains holding down the house up there. Recorded 256 mph winds. Highest ever on earth, I think. Was there on Spyder 2 yrs ago.

DGoebel
06-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Made it to Niagara Falls then stopped for the night in Saint Catharines, we may lay over a day and check out the wine country. We did manage to find some pretty good Poutine.

Love the pics and experiences you're sharing! Only Bacon bits could make that poutine look any better!

easysuper
06-16-2019, 03:16 PM
We rode in the rain all across Ontario and spent the night in Sarnia. We headed north along Lake Huron then turned West to Cadillac MI. We hope to ride the tunnel of trees tomorrow. I thought about my dad a lot today as it was his stories of traveling the states on his Harley in the 30s that inspired this trip.

easysuper
06-19-2019, 06:05 AM
After crossing Michigan we headed north to Petosky where we rode north through the tunnel of trees and it is as beautiful as the trip guides say. We had lunch at an old Inn named Legs Inn that a Polish emigrant built with salvaged material in 1920 , it has great polish food. We camped in Mackinaw City and crossed the Mackinaw Bridge over to Michigan’s UP and stayed in Mystique , we hop to make Green Bay tomorrow.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-19-2019, 07:21 AM
After crossing Michigan we headed north to Petosky where we rode north through the tunnel of trees and it is as beautiful as the trip guides say. We had lunch at an old Inn named Legs Inn that a Polish emigrant built with salvaged material in 1920 , it has great polish food. We camped in Mackinaw City and crossed the Mackinaw Bridge over to Michigan’s UP and stayed in Mystique , we hop to make Green Bay tomorrow.

Happy to see a new post from you ….. was starting to get worried something had happened to delay your journey …… Mike :ohyea:

easysuper
06-21-2019, 07:45 AM
We made it to Door County where We are going to spend a week visiting Ellies mom.We have never been here in the summer,only in the fall. We rented a car as her mom is 103 and riding on the back of Ellies RT is not an option.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-21-2019, 09:20 AM
We made it to Door County where We are going to spend a week visiting Ellies mom.We have never been here in the summer,only in the fall. We rented a car as her mom is 103 and riding on the back of Ellies RT is not an option.

Dave, thank Ellie for the nice note She sent ….. and thanks again for the invite when / if I ever get that far west ….. PS I think of you both every time I have a snifter of that Maple Liqueur you generously got for me. ….. It's interesting that you brought INCREDIBLE weather with you …..however you took it with you after you left :banghead:.........… Hoping the weather stays nice for the rest of your journey :yes:........ Mike :ohyea:

easysuper
06-30-2019, 05:39 AM
After spending two weeks in Door County visiting my wife’s mom we headed out on the road again. We plan on picking up Route 66 in Saint Louis if the flooding isn’t too bad. We made it to Princeton Illinois and due to the rain all the campgrounds are muddy and full of mosquitoes so the boss said we’re hoteling it. We found a great cook your own steakhouse and she did her thing. This lady can ride all day and have a fun time cooking that night!

BoilerAnimal
06-30-2019, 07:36 AM
Any chance that would be Alexander's Steak House?

BoilerAnimal
06-30-2019, 07:50 AM
Was thinking of Princeville instead of Princeton, so that would probably be the Prime Quarter Steak House then.

easysuper
06-30-2019, 02:36 PM
Any chance that would be Alexander's Steak House?

It was the Prime Quarter Steakhouse

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-30-2019, 05:27 PM
It was the Prime Quarter Steakhouse

Dave I hope it was as good or better than the Steak you ate at my house :clap:...…………..Mike :ohyea:

easysuper
06-30-2019, 06:59 PM
Dave I hope it was as good or better than the Steak you ate at my house :clap:...…………..Mike :ohyea:

It was a great steak,but yours was good also

Deanna777
06-30-2019, 07:02 PM
HI,

Have a safe trip, back home.

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your coast to coast trip.

Deanna

easysuper
07-01-2019, 05:56 AM
We made it to St. Charles Missouri yesterday and the bikes were reading 102 temperatures so we found a hotel with a pool.
We will join the morning traffic and go see the Gateway Arches before heading to Springfield.

easysuper
07-02-2019, 07:54 PM
We made it to Nixa where I was hoping to replace my rear tire and see why my bike was having a hard time starting in the heat, Lamont and his crew worked us in and discovered that the work we had paid for at home had not been done. We decided that to give ourselves a comfort level for our long return trip home to have what ever needed done,just do it. Lamont and his crew are a level above the rest. On top of my bike we decided to replace Ellies front tires as they would have made it home but just. Then I figured we might as well replace the front brake pads on both bikes. Since both bikes were going to be in the shop most of the day, Lamont walks in and asked us if we wanted to take one of his bikes out for a ride for the afternoon! This man has impressed me above and then some. We are heading out tomorrow with a lot less concern then two days ago.

Raprider
07-03-2019, 02:15 PM
Great updates and kudos to Lamont for hooking you up proper!

easysuper
07-03-2019, 05:48 PM
We made it to Tulsa today about 1/2 hour before a major Thunderstorm and ducked into a hotel,no camping tonight. We left Missouri, cut through Kansas and rode into Oklahoma following Route 66.

easysuper
07-06-2019, 09:13 AM
We stopped in Amarillo for the night and are rethinking our route home, after the earthquakes in California, we are thinking of heading north to Colorado where it should be a little cooler also. We have been down Route 66 before in our RV so we are not missing anything and have not spent much time in Colorado.

ARtraveler
07-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Whatever you decide, have a safe journey. :yes:

RICZ
07-06-2019, 11:10 AM
Cooler is gooder! I think you are wise to go through Colorado and not the heat of California. Us Northwesterners aren't built for triple digit climate. 106 in the valley, on a bike, almost did me in a while back. Safe riding!

canamjhb
07-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Wise to stay further north and riding in higher country. It is a "cool" 108F here today but heating up to 112-115 in the next few days. Ride safe..... Jim

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-06-2019, 09:31 PM
A great route, IMO, is to go from Amarillo to Trinidad, CO, across to Durango, they north on the Million Dollar Hwy to Grand Junction. Then continue north to Dinosaur, then to Vernal, UT and drop down to Helper. Then go up Hwy 6 to Spanish Fork and I-15/I-80 to Provo/SLC. This is one case where the Interstate is a prettier ride than the two lane. US 40 from Duchesne to SLC area is pure blah. Commercial and town/farm development almost the entire way with almost no scenic views at all. If you go north from SLC a couple of interesting stops are the Golden Spike site and the Orbital-ATK missile site on the way there. That's where the rockets for the space program were made. There are several missiles outside to see.

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-06-2019, 09:48 PM
Wise to stay further north and riding in higher country. It is a "cool" 108F here today but heating up to 112-115 in the next few days. Ride safe..... Jim
Southern Idaho and Northern NV & UT are forecast for 80's and 90's the next several days.

easysuper
07-07-2019, 07:10 AM
We spent the night in Tucumcari so we could plan a new route home as we are in no hurry to get there. It looks like Colorado makes for a good ride.

easysuper
07-08-2019, 08:24 AM
We made Taos yesterday and are planning on staying a couple days to check out the sites and ride out to Pueblo Taos and an historic Hacienda, instead of camping we booked a room in an old historic place built in 1939 called the Sagebrush Inn. We did catch the last piece of 66 on this trip as we left the Route and headed north. As we were riding through some of the towns, it dawned on me that this was the country that Louis L’lamour wrote about in his western stories that I read as a teenager.173790173791173792173793

RICZ
07-08-2019, 10:33 AM
When in Taos, you do not pass up Michael's restaurant and you do not pass up their sopapias.

canamjhb
07-08-2019, 11:45 AM
You are getting close to the "Million Dollar Highway" just north of Durango. If it fits your plans, it is very worthwhile. Be safe.....Jim

easysuper
07-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Spent the day riding around the Taos area today and visited some great sites,including the Taos Pueblo,considered the oldest continuously lived in community in the US, for nearly 2,000 years.

Raprider
07-09-2019, 10:14 AM
LOVE the Taos Pueblo...had a great visit a few years ago...may be back in the Alb/Santa Fe/Taos area this fall...looking for relocation possibilities...

easysuper
07-11-2019, 07:26 AM
I tried to find out why it is called the million dollar highway but there are a number of different explanations. But it is well worth riding! Every time we go out of our way to ride a “Must Ride” I am usually disappointed but 550 does not disappoint in anyway. You can have Durango as it is not my kind of stopping place but Silverton is a kick. We stayed at the North Durango KOA and they run a great campground. They even have a pizza and ice cream shop and the pizza was pretty good and made a great lunch the next day. The views on this ride are nothing short of spectacular and the history is worth learning. And the best way to see it is from the back of a bike, as there are no guard rails and it’s narrow so the car traffic is slow. All I can say is if you can fit it in your travel plans,do it as no photos can do it justice.

RICZ
07-11-2019, 10:58 AM
Thanks again easysuper. Glad you two got to do 550, a ryder's dream. Rider magazine recently had an article written by rider, who wit another rider, bagged 60 Colorado passes in 9 days It too a lot of planning and hard riding to accomplish. Not my style, I gotta stop and smell the scenery.

canamjhb
07-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Glad you enjoyed the MDH. The story we heard was that a lady, after driving it, said she wouldn't do it again for a million dollars.
It is a close second favorite for Linda and I right after Going to the Sun in Glacier. Silverton is awesome..... Jim

al0vely
07-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Those pics of the million dollar highway are beautiful ... thanks for sharing pics all along your journey.

easysuper
07-12-2019, 07:18 PM
After we rode the MDH we continued north to the Grand Mesa and experienced another great ride. We continued north through the Flaming Gorge Area and ended up in Pinedale Wyoming.

easysuper
07-19-2019, 04:54 PM
After Flaming Gorge we headed north to Yellowstone as it was snowing when we rode through on our way East the first of June. My brother is camp-hosting about 20 miles north of West Yellowstone so we camped 5 days and enjoyed the sites. I have been to Yellowstone about 20 times but never get tired of it. After we left there we headed to Virginia City and on the way got caught in a marble sized hail storm, we arrived wet, bruised and ready for a hotel shower. We stayed in a old historic hotel right on Main Street and had dinner across the street that is Montana’s oldest Saloon.

RICZ
07-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Ah, the joys of riding in the wind! And the rain, and the snow, and the hail, and the triple digit temps. Gotta love having a full bathroom just feet from the bed.

easysuper
07-20-2019, 04:14 PM
You can have your Dragons Tail or the Rattler but I’ll take Highway 12 from Lolo Pass down to Kooskia Idaho,you even have a great place to stop at along the way at Locksa Lodge. You travel along the Lewis and Clark route along the Clearwater River and the scenery is stunning, I’ve done it 5 times now and never tire of it and one of the best things is it’s never crowded.

RICZ
07-20-2019, 09:59 PM
I second that easysuper - one of the best MC roads in the US. I've done the Dragon and was not impressed. There are other roads far less trafficky and fewer cops.

easysuper
07-21-2019, 03:08 PM
174190hWe crossed over to home state to ride the Devils Tail up Hell’s Canyon another great ride with little or no traffic and spectacular views.

Raprider
07-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Damn, that was quick! Only 8 weeks out and back!
Thanks for sharing the adventure :clap:

beatle5
07-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Enjoyed reading your trip. I am semi-retired and waiting for my wife to retire. We want to go coast to coast as well but from CT to CA.

easysuper
07-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Enjoyed reading your trip. I am semi-retired and waiting for my wife to retire. We want to go coast to coast as well but from CT to CA.
Make it a priority,you won’t regret it. Our next ride will be North to Alaska.

beatle5
07-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Sounds Great.

bikerbillone
07-22-2019, 07:26 PM
Looking forward to that AK journal. Sure appreciate the way you guys did it, couple RTs and pull trailers. I did not read about any equipment failures.

easysuper
07-22-2019, 08:48 PM
We are at day 65 on the road we are not ready for the ride to end but we need to get the house painted before we leave for the winter and my son needs help building his shop. We are dragging our feet and spending the last two days riding Eastern Oregon gold mining and ghost town country. And enjoying western humor.

easysuper
07-24-2019, 05:44 PM
We pulled into the driveway last night. 10,964 miles since we left 66 days ago. We did not want it to end and almost headed to Canada when we left Yellowstone, but I need to paint the house before we head south for the winter and my son needs some help on his shop he is trying to build. Ellie and I talked it over and it looks like we may try to put a loose group together and do a North to Alaska II, summer of 2020. If anyone is interested send me a message. We had a great time with this ride and would do it again, just may stay on this side of the Mississippi River and spend more time in the mountains. I would like to thank Lamont and his crew and Mike Long for making this trip more enjoyable.

Raprider
07-24-2019, 06:09 PM
:congrats::clap:

you both are clearly...
:b2b:

RICZ
07-24-2019, 06:19 PM
What a trip and thanks for the posts. Welcome back to moderate temps, low humidity and few bugs. Went up to Ryderwood and back and only 2 or 3 bugs on the cage w/s.

canamjhb
07-24-2019, 06:30 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed following your journey. Happy that you made it home safely. Again, thanks for allowing us to join you on your adventure..... Jim

easysuper
07-24-2019, 11:57 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed following your journey. Happy that you made it home safely. Wife and I usually do a summer trip about 1/2 of what you did. We were talking the other night about touring expense. We wondered if you found doing a combination camping/motel/staying with friends to be much, if any, less expensive than not camping. We have always moteled and stayed with others but never camped. Our touring expense averages about $200.00 per day. Including gas (2 vehicles), motel and food. Some days we splurge and others we economize. But, for a 30-day tour we plan for an expense of $6,000. We would be most interested to know what you have found. Again, thanks for allowiing us to join you on your adventure..... Jim

We found if we can camp. free-$40.00 and cook our own food it averages less than $100 + a day. with the weather as wet as it was we had to motel it more than we wanted to until we got back to the west. I haven't tallied up everything yet but have kept daily records we have spent some where around 9 K on this trip. but this is a bucket list trip and I have waited for years to do as an homage to my father who had done a similar ride in 1937-38 on his Harley with a side car and a buddy. I am especially lucky that I have a life partner and love for the last 44 years who loves adventure and travel as much as I do.

canamjhb
07-25-2019, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the recap. I edited my post probably the same time you were responding. After thinking about it, I realized this is your thread and I didn't want to interject personal questions that would take away anything about your great time. But, I do appreciate your response. What a great time. I am envious..... Jim

Bfromla
07-25-2019, 05:38 AM
There is a matching sign, and we will make sure to take a photo. did I miss the pics?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2019, 09:06 AM
We pulled into the driveway last night. 10,964 miles since we left 66 days ago. We did not want it to end and almost headed to Canada when we left Yellowstone, but I need to paint the house before we head south for the winter and my son needs some help on his shop he is trying to build. Ellie and I talked it over and it looks like we may try to put a loose group together and do a North to Alaska II, summer of 2020. If anyone is interested send me a message. We had a great time with this ride and would do it again, just may stay on this side of the Mississippi River and spend more time in the mountains. I would like to thank Lamont and his crew and Mike Long for making this trip more enjoyable.

Thanks for mentioning me along side LaMont ….. I enjoyed your company and want to thank you for bringing almost 5 days of fantastic riding weather with you, after you left the weather did also :banghead:,:roflblack: but it has gotten good again.... We did get almost 700 miles of great riding in, including the Top of Mt.Washington :clap: …..glad the rest of your trip went well …… if your in in the neighborhood you know the door is open .. Mike :ohyea:

easysuper
07-25-2019, 10:09 AM
did I miss the pics?

You may have.

wingit3611
07-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Those two pictures are a fitting end to a great trip

Jaxfann
07-25-2019, 10:34 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed following your journey. Happy that you made it home safely. Again, thanks for allowing us to join you on your adventure..... Jim

I concur - it has been most enjoyable following your trip - thanks for the pics and text - I am glad you are both home safe and sound with the thoughts of further adventures ahead!

Chas

Bfromla
07-29-2019, 05:14 AM
You may have.
174314174315 awesome thank you:congrats::clap::clap::yes: now I have additional stops

reader47
11-22-2019, 02:00 PM
WOW. Longest and best post I have ever read. Thank you both for the pics and the narrative. Posts and suggestions from other members gave us a lot of great ideas. Very glad all went well, had no mechanical problems and you're home safe.
Thanks again - roger