PDA

View Full Version : My Final Retirement

ARtraveler
03-27-2019, 01:31 PM
After eighteen years working with the University of Alaska as an adjunct Accounting Professor, I finally said good bye to them on Monday of this week. My final class will be on Tuesday, April 30.

In this case, the handwriting was on the wall. The University is in dire financial straits. The governor of AK has killed about 35% of the University's funding which is setting them into a tailspin.

The November 30, 7.0 earthquake, pretty much took care of the rest. Eagle River, Chugiak received a lot of damage. The building we were using suffered severe damage, and the University decided not to renew the lease which is up in June 2019.

All of the adjuncts on this campus are now out of work as of Fall Semester (AUG) 2019. The layoffs of main staff due to the budget cuts now leave a pool of mainline profs, now out of work. Guess who is going to get the open positions? :roflblack:

I did not want to be kissed off like most are going to be. A wonderful finish for 18 years of service to the community and to the university. These days...it's all about the money.

They can find someone else to take the summer session that I was scheduled to teach. My comment to the University....BYE! :roflblack::roflblack:

I feel good about my decision. I can now get on with the final chapter of my life. :popcorn::popcorn:

DGoebel
03-27-2019, 01:34 PM
Congrats, thou it's possible some time in the future you'll find some other enterprise to keep you busy...

ARtraveler
03-27-2019, 01:37 PM
Congrats, thou it's possible some time in the future you'll find some other enterprise to keep you busy...

Going to try to enjoy the rest and get in more riding. Time will tell.

SL Ken
03-27-2019, 02:05 PM
Congratulations. Are you still going to try to get to Arkansas?

Deanna777
03-27-2019, 02:06 PM
After eighteen years working the the University of Alaska as an adjunct Accounting Professor, I finally said good bye to them on Monday of this week. My final class will be on Tuesday, April 30.

In this case, the handwriting was on the wall. The University is in dire financial straits. The governor of AK has killed about 35% of the Universities financing which is setting them into a tailspin.

The November 30, 7.0 earthquake, pretty much took care of the rest. Eagle River, Chugiak received a lot of damage. The building we were using suffered severe damage, and the University decided not to renew the lease which is up in June 2019.

All of the adjuncts on this campus are now out of work as of Fall Semester (AUG) 2019. The layoffs of main staff due to the budget cuts now leave a pool of mainline profs, now out of work. Guess who is going to get the open positions? :roflblack:

I did not want to be kissed off like most are going to be. A wonderful finish for 18 years of service to the community and to the university. These days...it's all about the money.

They can find someone else to take the summer session that I was scheduled to teach. My comment to the University....BYE! :roflblack::roflblack:

I feel good about my decision. I can now get on with the final chapter of my life. :popcorn::popcorn::congrats: taking final retirement. Enjoy your final chapter of your life. Will you get your pension?

Deanna

Bob Denman
03-27-2019, 02:08 PM
D,
:congrats: on the start of your next great adventure: retirement! :yes:

ARtraveler
03-27-2019, 02:09 PM
:congrats: taking final retirement. Enjoy your final chapter of your life. Well you get your pension?

Deanna

No pension from the U for adjuncts. We are non-benefit workers and "at will" at that. Now its SS and 401 K for me.

Deanna777
03-27-2019, 02:10 PM
No pension from the U for adjuncts. We are non-benefit workers and "at will" at that. Now its SS and 401 K for me.Good luck! Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-27-2019, 02:33 PM
No pension from the U for adjuncts. We are non-benefit workers and "at will" at that. Now its SS and 401 K for me.

:congrats: …. ( I hope this is good comment ) …. If you are Happy then I am Happy for you :clap::clap::clap: …………………..Mike :ohyea:

canamjhb
03-27-2019, 02:52 PM
I know this is something you have been planning for and looking forward to. It is a big step in the ladder of life. Here's wishing you a long, happy and healthy retirement..... Jim

glennm
03-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Congrats on retiring ak.
All the very best.

dpetrick
03-27-2019, 04:42 PM
Enjoy retirement. Adjuncts are unique in the college world. I am a lead adjunct instructor, which means I am the department head.
Have fun once retirement kicks in.

PW2013STL
03-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Congrats Dewayne!

Looking forward to seeing you in the lower 48.

BTW - retirement is the best job I have ever had!!!

Les

al0vely
03-27-2019, 05:05 PM
Congrats on closing that chapter ... now enjoy that Spyder and whatever else you have going on like moving to the lower 48 as you have planned.

CopperSpyder
03-27-2019, 05:44 PM
:congrats: on a successful chapter in life and moving on to the next chapter; or as they probably say in accounting closing one bag of beans and opening another bag of beans. :yes::yes::yes: I Wish you nothing but the best in the new chapter!!

RapidSpyder
03-27-2019, 10:33 PM
Congrats on your retirement! Hope yours lasts longer than mine did. After a little over a month my wife told me to get back to work....

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-27-2019, 11:31 PM
I feel good about my decision. I can now get on with the final chapter of my life. :popcorn::popcorn:
And get down to Arkansas that much sooner!! :clap:

Chupaca
03-28-2019, 12:09 AM
Always good to leave on a high note...🎶 And hey....your ryding season just cleared up..:riding:

sandeejs
03-28-2019, 12:15 AM
Congrats on retiring. Too bad it wasn't on your own timing and terms. You will soon be so busy you won't be able to remember how you had time for work.
~Sandee~

2dogs
03-28-2019, 01:13 AM
I hope you enjoy and get along well with our new boss. That would be you! Wishing you many happy years to come, and by the way, stay active and don't let the old man in.

mcalva
03-28-2019, 03:48 AM
Congratulations! Do not take it as the rest of your life, live it as always, day by day, enjoying and forgetting the obvious and writing many more chapters.
It is not about writing "the end" and then filling in. It's about continuing to write and forget that the "end-point" will ever be written.
:cheers:

LeftCoast
03-28-2019, 04:39 AM
Congrats AK, it’s a change compared to what you are used to but you’ll find other great things to do with your time!

Saluda
03-28-2019, 05:47 AM
Congrats and wish you the best. I do not consider it the final or closing chapter, I consider it the best !

Grandpot
03-28-2019, 06:58 AM
I teach at a local college also and plan to retire in September. The cool thing about it, is my daughter just started working in the same department that I am leaving. It's like passing the torch.

One of our coworkers joked with me asking how did "Take your daughter to work-day" feel, EVERY DAY?:clap::clap::clap:

kep-up
03-28-2019, 07:11 AM
The biggest problem with being retired, the way I see it, is that there just ain't enough time to do what my new boss wants me to accomplish. BTW, my new boss is ME!

Little Blue
03-28-2019, 08:54 AM
:coffee: Enjoy the 'Next Step' and be Strong. Always RYDE SAFE and Enjoy your Time....:thumbup:

RICZ
03-28-2019, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the, "How did I ever find time to work" club.

ARtraveler
03-28-2019, 01:02 PM
Thank you all for your replies. At this point, I am not going to miss working...just the money. :roflblack: :roflblack:

I will fill you folks in about Arkansas in a week or so. :popcorn:

canamjhb
03-28-2019, 02:42 PM
Anxious to see how your vest is displayed when you trade the moose for a razorback in your avatar.....?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:.. ... Jim

ARtraveler
03-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Anxious to see how your vest is displayed when you trade the moose for a razorback in your avatar.....?:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:.. ... Jim

An interesting dilemma. :yes:

vided
03-28-2019, 07:31 PM
All the best.

easysuper
03-28-2019, 08:02 PM
Congratulations, I myself pulled the plug and rolled up my cords in February and am really enjoying my retirement. I loved my work but the stress and changes in the working trade class was taking all the fun out of the job and I found myself not enjoying it as I used to. Like you said I miss the money as my job as a construction superintendent was finally paying really well, but money is not everything and I still am fairly healthy. Hope your new chapter in life works out well.

d.o.spyder-rts
03-28-2019, 11:41 PM
Add my name to the list of congrats and good luck in the future. Dale

1iHooligan
03-29-2019, 06:54 AM
More time to ryde!!

oldgoat
03-29-2019, 08:22 AM
You have been solid as a rock on this forum all the time I have been here. I'm certain you were solid as a rock as an Adjunct Professor as well.

All the best to you and enjoy yourself!!!

If you really do make the move south, I wish you all the best.

Oldgoat in Montreal

ARtraveler
07-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Update three months later.

All is going well. The house selling in three days, the "forced" retirement from teaching, everything else falling into place...looks like it was meant to be.

No remorse or sadness about retirement from teaching between MN, WI, and AK...I was able to do what I liked for around 25 years...that was a career in itself.

We are truly loving our acre in the country and enjoy everyday that comes along. Now, if the household goods and the Spyders would get here, we would be very happy.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-06-2019, 03:02 PM

All is going well. The house selling in three days, the "forced" retirement from teaching, everything else falling into place...looks like it was meant to be.

No remorse or sadness about retirement from teaching between MN, WI, and AK...I was able to do what I liked for around 25 years...that was a career in itself.

We are truly loving our acre in the country and enjoy everyday that comes along. Now, if the household goods and the Spyders would get here, we would be very happy.

:clap::clap::clap: plus :bbq:...……….Thanks for the up-date …….. Mike :ohyea:

RapidSpyder
07-06-2019, 03:39 PM

congrats again! Retiring for the second time myself this week. 27ys 9 months with the Sheriff's Dept, then early retirement and 3 years where I am now. Have full pension now and will be part-timing and volunteering for awhile. Now if it would just stop raining...