PDA

View Full Version : End of an era......

OJ UK
03-24-2019, 02:37 PM
I said goodbye to my F3-T last week as it was simply costing too much to keep in the garage whether or not I used it.
In the UK a vehicle must have current road tax and insurance to even be kept in a private garage and the depreciation on Spyders is huge.
This equates to approx. $30 a week and is money I cannot afford to squander. The vehicle insurance over here is extortionate,
despite this being my third Spyder I was paying around $750 pa! I can insure a Harley Davidson Sportster for around $150.
So the end of a highly enjoyable era.
I asked a fairly high price and sold the Spyder in a couple of weeks. The money I received bought me three things.
Thing One: A Peugeot RCZ, a nice little coupe.
Thing Two: An immaculate, low mileage Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Low. The total running costs for these two is rather less
than half what the Spyder cost.
Thing Three: Enough cash left over to fully run and service both for many years. (As long as I avoid Main Dealers!!)

You've all seen a Harley before but many of you will not have seen the Peugeot RCZ Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJpAFKGYVDs

Mine is the diesel engined model which puts out 165bhp and will reach 140mph but gives an overall 50mpg (US Gallon). Oh! It's metallic black.

The Harley is a bit of a bone of contention as when I bought it I wasn't sure that I would be able to manage it successfully. In fact I've taken it out
a couple of times and because it is the "Low" model it's not bad. (but I get quite physically tired riding it....hoping that will diminish with saddle time.)

ARtraveler
03-24-2019, 02:44 PM
Very sorry to hear you are selling the Spyder.

The outcome sounds like a WIN WIN to me. Two for one...and some very cool machines to top that off. What's not to like?

Please keep in touch. You may not have a :spyder2: but you are still considered a friend of the site. :yes:

jbim
03-24-2019, 02:46 PM
that's too bad, especially since you can ride almost 12 months a year. There's nothing like a Spyder. But of course sometimes we have to face reality. In Canada I am paying 1500$ per year for a 7-month season of riding. That would be about $1100 USD. I like the look of you RCZ.

Good look with your new toys.

Bfromla
03-24-2019, 02:48 PM
:(:gaah: sorry to hear , you gonna hang around here ? :firstplace: Hlping the other spyders that appear across the pond:dontknow: glad I got to meet you at Spyderfest when I did:coffee: hopefully thing will change & you can enjoy it again & the Harley as a spare. Alternating provides good wind therapy, if one is in shop or whatever.

OJ UK
03-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Sadly, I only have a pension to live on and as I'm 71 next birthday it's unlikely that my situation is going to get better.
It was great while it lasted and I did enjoy being a "rock star" for a few years! However the RCZ is also getting a lot of passer-by
attention as they are also rare to see here!

Chupaca
03-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Sorry to hear the spyder has met with the high cost of living and gone on to another. RCZ is really quite nice. Not fond of Harleys so will not comment but it is really great that you are able to get all those things from the sale of the spyder....:clap:

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-24-2019, 07:29 PM
OJ, sad to hear about your Spyder and your situation ….. However that RCZ is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee et …. Mike :ohyea:

PrairieSpyder
03-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Wow! I had no idea operating a Spyder in the UK was so expensive. :yikes: I wonder why the Spyder insurance is so much more than a Harley. Maybe because of the comparative value?

But that Puegot is really something. I just hope you never have to replace that back window!

And extra cash is always handy.

Bob Denman
03-25-2019, 08:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4

Motorcycledave
03-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Hope you got a great deal on it, looks like the factory screwed up and put the steering wheel on the wrong side....
HAHAHAHA
You can still visit here..
Dave

Big Arm
03-25-2019, 12:04 PM
It was nice meeting you at Spyderfest. Want to wish you all the best in the future. Enjoy the new ride. Drop in here once in awhile. Take care !

blacklightning
03-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Wow! Looks to me like you got a good win. I like my spyder, but considering what you were able to get for it in trade, you definitely came out ahead. Be safe.

Darren111
03-25-2019, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=OJ UK;1429167]I said goodbye to my F3-T last week as it was simply costing too much to keep in the garage whether or not I used it.
In the UK a vehicle must have current road tax and insurance to even be kept in a private garage and the depreciation on Spyders is huge.
This equates to approx. $30 a week and is money I cannot afford to squander. The vehicle insurance over here is extortionate,
despite this being my third Spyder I was paying around $750 pa! I can insure a Harley Davidson Sportster for around $150.
So the end of a highly enjoyable era.
I asked a fairly high price and sold the Spyder in a couple of weeks. The money I received bought me three things.
Thing One: A Peugeot RCZ, a nice little coupe.
Thing Two: An immaculate, low mileage Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Low. The total running costs for these two is rather less
than half what the Spyder cost.
Thing Three: Enough cash left over to fully run and service both for many years. (As long as I avoid Main Dealers!!)

You've all seen a Harley before but many of you will not have seen the Peugeot RCZ Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJpAFKGYVDs

Mine is the diesel engined model which puts out 165bhp and will reach 140mph but gives an overall 50mpg (US Gallon). Oh! It's metallic black.

The Harley is a bit of a bone of contention as when I bought it I wasn't sure that I would be able to manage it successfully. In fact I've taken it out
a couple of times and because it is the "Low" model it's not bad. (but I get quite physically tired riding it....hoping that will diminish with saddle time.)

Hi OJ UK, when I watched your you tube clip of RCZ, I recognised Mat Watson. I was on a TV programme with him called "I Want That Car" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8MnK-dl8Y I hope you enjoy your new wheels and wish you all the best.

LJspydee
03-25-2019, 01:44 PM
It was always fun talking to you at Spyderfest and reading you posts. Enjoy your new rides!

OJ UK
04-07-2019, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=OJ UK;1429167]
Hi OJ UK, when I watched your you tube clip of RCZ, I recognised Mat Watson. I was on a TV programme with him called "I Want That Car" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8MnK-dl8Y I hope you enjoy your new wheels and wish you all the best.

I looked at a couple of Audi TTs and wasn't especially impressed

The RCZ is more unique, and a nicer car. It cost me £6500 for the 2011 with 36000 miles on it. Ford Fiesta money!
I see you have a shiny new Spyder......do try not to break this one!! Take care....

OJ UK
04-07-2019, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=PrairieSpyder;1429321]Wow! I had no idea operating a Spyder in the UK was so expensive. :yikes: I wonder why the Spyder insurance is so much more than a Harley. Maybe because of the comparative value? Not really, Patti. There comparatively few Spyders in the UK and there is only one Insurance underwriter that will give cover. That company, based in Gibraltar, has a monopoly on insurance for the Spyder and can charge what they want.

But that Pugeot is really something. I just hope you never have to replace that back window! That rear screen is over £3000! I'll try to keep it in one piece!!
And extra cash is always handy [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR="#FF0000"] Always! [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR="#FF0000"][QUOTE]