PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting Fuel & Temp gauges

Tyris
03-22-2019, 10:20 AM
I'm going to swap out the dash cover of 2016 RT Limited with a painted one, so while I have everything open was thinking about disconnecting both the fuel and Temp gauges. For those of you who have done this my question is did you like the digital displays on the main screen, did you feel they were more or less accurate?

If was a bit more knowledgeable about the process would put something in their place but I am not and will probably just leave the unhooked ones in or look for blanks to fill the holes, anybody know what I'd need to order for blanks? I think someone said 52mm although can't find the post.

Thanks.

Dan

oldguyinTX
03-22-2019, 10:56 AM
https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/cam/56745a5d87a8660b6c9cef7a/electrical-system-accessories

Part #134. You need two.

DGoebel
03-22-2019, 11:10 AM
I did this and replaced my gauges with black plastic plugs from Ace Hardware for $2.00 Very happy with the digital dash gauges except that their flipped sides, The dash gauge on the right (temp) displays on the left side of the dash, the fuel gauge (on the left) displays on the right side of the dash

Chupaca
03-22-2019, 11:17 AM
Not sure on the newer models but traditionally the digital guages worked much better than the analog. I would not be happy having them there and not working and would replace them with power outlets or other useful gauges. Last resort the blank covers would be better than having them there not working....jmo

Tyris
03-22-2019, 12:36 PM
How to the plugs attach? Just snap in place?

blacklightning
03-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Wow, I had a 2014 base model RT, and it did not come with the analog gauges. I thought that was an upgrade. I never saw a need for them, but I thought it was a good thing. A friend of mine switched his stock plugs in for a usb port so he could charge his phone. Nice to know .

ARtraveler
03-22-2019, 01:40 PM
I did it on the 2010 RTS and the 2011 RT A&C. Just unplug the gauges. Covering is up to you.

On both, I preferred the digital gauges. The gas gauge seems more accurate because you do not have to question the needle bouncing around all the time.

My 2014 RT-S has rock solid gas gauge. No need to modify.

It is my understanding that both gauges must be disconnected. Either both on or both off.

My .02. :thumbup:

Yeochips
03-22-2019, 03:06 PM
DO IT....I had the worst readings with my BRP gas gage. Most of the time it would read low (light indicator with only 70 miles driven). I would go to fill up and I would put 4 gallons in. I pulled both the water temp and gas gauge. Since then, my digital gas gauge has been spot on. SOOOOO glad I did this.
I replaced my water temp gauge to a DIgital voltage gauge. I picked it up on Ebay for 12$ it works Great! As for my gas gauge I replaced it with a ram mount. It looks nice. It gives me a place to mount my phone, water cup, gps ect..If you want some pics I would have to get some. PM me if you want to see them. :ohyea:

SpyderAnn01
03-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Wow, I had a 2014 base model RT, and it did not come with the analog gauges. I thought that was an upgrade. I never saw a need for them, but I thought it was a good thing. A friend of mine switched his stock plugs in for a usb port so he could charge his phone. Nice to know .

That was an upgrade and it was maddening that you paid more for gauges that didn’t work. On my 10 I had the dealer replace the gas gauge 3 times before I finally gave up. The newer models work much better though.

ARtraveler
03-22-2019, 03:48 PM
That was an upgrade and it was maddening that you paid more for gauges that didn’t work. On my 10 I had the dealer replace the gas gauge 3 times before I finally gave up. The newer models work much better though.

replaced two times for me on the 2010...and they still did not work.

DGoebel
03-22-2019, 05:38 PM
How to the plugs attach? Just snap in place?

Tyris, if you're referring to the inexpensive ones from hardware store, yes they just plug in the existing holes. Have ridden over 10,000 miles including some very rough dirt roads and they are still holding on.
They're just 2 inch panel plugs, I think mine were grey originally and I painted them black. Looked like these

tnhoover
03-22-2019, 07:35 PM
Replaced mine with RAM mounts where I put my phone and GPS.

Tyris
03-22-2019, 09:29 PM
How difficult is it wire in different gauge in the openings, perhaps an amp gauge or usb outlet, can you just use the power for the gauges?

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-23-2019, 12:35 AM
I'm going to swap out the dash cover of 2016 RT Limited with a painted one, so while I have everything open was thinking about disconnecting both the fuel and Temp gauges. For those of you who have done this my question is did you like the digital displays on the main screen, did you feel they were more or less accurate?

If was a bit more knowledgeable about the process would put something in their place but I am not and will probably just leave the unhooked ones in or look for blanks to fill the holes, anybody know what I'd need to order for blanks? I think someone said 52mm although can't find the post.

Thanks.

Dan

On the painting thing - I did two, one in White Pearl and the other in Cognac ( check any post by " Deanna777 to see one ) …… the Cognac color was from a High heat paint formulated for Metal - I PRIMED the plastic DASH panel with a paint made for PLASTIC's ….. and got a Perfect finish from the Cognac ….. some members here tried the same thing EXCEPT they didn't prime the plastic and the finished surface ALLIGATORED badly...… The White Pearl was a Toyota color and might have done the same thing - however I had primed the dash for that also ……On removing the GUAGES , BRP is NOT generous with the amount of wire they use …… have a pair of needle nose pliers handy to unplug the connectors if my memory is correct a pair that is BENT would be better …….good luck....Mike :ohyea: