PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake closed

Lobo
03-21-2019, 03:46 PM
2012 Spyder RT A&C. I'm changing my rear tire myself. Got it off, tire changed and now reinstalling. Go to put the brake housing back and find that the pads are slam shut and have not been able to open them. I have not had this problem when changes the fronts. I know this has been discussed before but I cannot find threads to it. How do I release the piston and open the pads? Need to finish this tonight. Thank you in advance.

billybovine
03-21-2019, 03:58 PM
Since yours is a 2012 model. Take off the parking brake lever or pulley and back off the parking brake shaft a turn or 2.

Chupaca
03-21-2019, 04:07 PM
If not already done.... release the park brake and disconnect the cable from the caliper to be able to move the lever/wheel back to allow the piston to retract into the caliper. Check your resevoir for brake fluid if to full remove some to allow fluid to flow back as the piston retracts. start by inserting a butter knife and twisting it to start then something sturtier to get it wide enough to fit over the disc...:thumbup:

Lobo
03-21-2019, 05:12 PM
No cable connected to the caliper. "be able to move the lever/wheel back to allow the piston to retract into the caliper." What/where if the lever/wheel?

Lobo
03-21-2019, 05:14 PM
"back off the parking brake shaft a turn or 2". I don't know what this is. Explain please.

RICZ
03-21-2019, 06:03 PM
When removing calipers, place a spacer in between the pads so they won't "collapse." A piece of wood a little thicker than the disc is best.

BajaRon
03-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Here are the Parking Brake components. Back off the adjuster and you can then remove the cable. You should then be able to wedge open the brake pads. Putting a spacer in between the pads while the caliper is off is a very good idea and will prevent this issue in the future.

Lobo
03-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Thank you Ron, and the other replies. 12 hours today on this and now several Maker's Marks, I'm heading to bed. Will resolve this tomorrow.

billybovine
03-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Remove parking brake pulley. Item 3 in the attached picture. Turn the parking brake shaft enough to allow the caliper piston to be push back into the caliper.

Lobo
03-22-2019, 09:11 AM
Everything is reinstalled. Thanks you for the help. Now, I am getting a "Brake Failure" message. What might I have done wrong when reinstalling the brake and putting the Parking Brake pully back together?

AeroPilot
03-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Others will give you the exact sequence, but it essentially needs to have the brake pedal pushed to reset the pressure switch. I lucked out on resetting a friends after changing out a rear tire, but should be a relatively easy fix.... :helpsmilie:

billybovine
03-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Check the fault code. Press the mode, set and turn signal cancel buttons all at the same time. If the code is C1282. You turn the key on before pumping the brake pedal a couple times until firm.

Turn on the key.
Wait until it fully boots up.
Stand on the brake pedal.
Turn the key off.
Wait a full 30 seconds.
Release the brake pedal.
The fault should be gone the next time you turn it on.

Lobo
03-22-2019, 10:13 AM
Check the fault code. Press the mode, set and turn signal cancel buttons all at the same time. If the code is C1282. You turn the key on before pumping the brake pedal a couple times until firm.

Turn on the key.
Wait until it fully boots up.
Stand on the brake pedal.
Turn the key off.
Wait a full 30 seconds.
Release the brake pedal.
The fault should be gone the next time you turn it on.

Tried this twice and still receiving the brake failure message. Anything else?

jcthorne
03-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Turn on the bike, do not start. If the brake failure message is still displayed, do this:

Report back the code and someone here can help you with what nanny is complaining about.

Did you set and turn off the parking brake a time or two to verify it was working when you reassembled the caliper?

billybovine
03-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Did you get the C1282 code???????

Lobo
03-22-2019, 10:58 AM
Did you get the C1282 code???????

Did get the C1282 code. The last reset attempt paid off. When standing on the brake pedal, it took a long time to hear the 2nd click, then started the 30 sec. count. Don't know if that mattered. Hopefully, the error message won't return. Going to take a ride, check out the new tire (General Altimax 205/60R 15), belt alignment and see if the error message returns. Thank you to everyone who replied. Saved me a trip to the dealer and that cost.

billybovine
03-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Next time you work on the brakes for anything. Pump the brake pedal a couple times until it is firm before turning on the key.