PDA

View Full Version : Do we like modular helmets or not???

Martin Slovakia
03-15-2019, 03:34 PM
Guys,
ever since I have became spYder rYder I did have a modular helmet.
This spring was the time when I have changed the Schuberth C3 Pro for new C4 Pro

How about you, do you rYde with modular or regular helmets.???

https://youtu.be/WdQu9VWNQN0

Part 2

https://youtu.be/ajzjsaskh4A

Bob Denman
03-15-2019, 04:07 PM
As a person who is forced to wear eyeglasses: I'd never wear anything but a modular... nojoke
In fact: we both use Schuberth's C-3 Pro...

SpyderAnn01
03-15-2019, 04:15 PM
All of my helmets have been modular except for one full face that I won. Modular wins my vote! I wear a Klim.

canamjhb
03-15-2019, 04:29 PM
When I re-started riding some 30+ years ago, I only wore an open face helmet. I'm not sure modulars were popular then. I don't remember. After a time I began to wear modular in colder and poor weather, switching to open face when it was warm and sunny. I routinely carried 2 helmets and switched as the weather allowed. Several years ago a friend and his wife were in a MC accident. She kept and showed her scrapped up helmet. Lots of road rash on the chin-bar. It saved her face. I no longer own an open face helmet..... Jim

JKMSPYDER
03-15-2019, 04:29 PM
I wear a Shoei modular because I also wear eyeglasses.

Fire34
03-15-2019, 05:19 PM
I dont know if ours are considered modular or not ? We have the Nolan N40 fulls the chin gurad is removable we
only ride that way if we stay local all other times the chin guards are installed. Yes we both wear glasses and we dont seem to have an issue yet
Dave

ARtraveler
03-15-2019, 06:06 PM
I dont know if ours are considered modular or not ? We have the Nolan N40 fulls the chin gurad is removable we
only ride that way if we stay local all other times the chin guards are installed. Yes we both wear glasses and we dont seem to have an issue yet
Dave

N40's are considered modular.

ARtraveler
03-15-2019, 06:07 PM
We have been Nolan modular customers for years. Bought the latest and greatest two years ago...they are still going fine.

Chupaca
03-15-2019, 07:16 PM
I have had modular helmets since they first came out. Glasses or no glasses they are the best for me and my kind of ryding. Currently have the HJC and it does a good job. May be time for a new one and will have to consider all the newer models....:banghead:9

d.o.spyder-rts
03-15-2019, 09:13 PM
I currently have a modular, a shark evoline 3 and love it. I'm looking to buy another shortly. Dale

ARNIE R
03-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Modular because of eyeglasses.

FalconAF
03-15-2019, 10:09 PM
Modular for me. Most of the common complaints about them aren't true anymore (but once were).

1. Quality ones are certified both U.S. DOT and European ECE (more stringent requirements than DOT) safety standards. This includes the lockable chin bar. It is required to meet stringent ("I won't open or fail in an accident") standards that used to be a major argument against them in the past. My 2010 Shark Evoline modular took a beating (literally) in my accident 3 years ago. Several impact points all over the helmet, including the chin bar. It stayed closed. Even the emergency responders at the scene remarked they were surprised it didn't open based on the impact damage to it, and EMT's see lots of motorcycle accidents to compare helmets.

2. I wear glasses like many others.

The following is my opinion only (and many other's too, but it's up to you). The ONLY time I would ride with my chin bar up was if I was riding very slowly AND it was uncomfortably hot at that speed to have it closed, like in rush hour bumper-to-bumper stop and go traffic in Las Vegas in August at high noon (to get out of or back into town for a road trip). Anything else defeats the purpose of having the "full face" protection of the helmet, and is just plain foolish to me. The chin bar isn't going to do you any good in a face-plant asphalt slide if it is not closed. Dragging your chin across asphalt at even 10 MPH is gonna really ruin your day (and much more too). So if you are planning to ride with the chin bar up and the wind in your face at 30 MPH when it's 70-degrees out, just buy a 3/4 and save your money. Get a baklava for cold weather. But if you still insist on doing it, do your research and get a modular that is now designed to RELEASE itself from the opened up position if you are sliding on the ground and it catches on something...so you won't "get hung" and break your neck.

(My new Shoei for my new Spyder is modular. I tried a current Shark again, but they changed their head shape and all the Sharks are too tight on me now)

pegasus1300
03-15-2019, 11:09 PM
Modular since 1999. Open face before that

3 Wheel Rider
03-15-2019, 11:16 PM
My primary helmet is a modular; Shoei Neotec.

Peter Aawen
03-15-2019, 11:23 PM
I currently have a modular, a shark evoline 3 and love it. I'm looking to buy another shortly. Dale

How much wind noise do you get with that? The earlier Evoline's were some of the windiest & noisiest helmets around, especially with the chin bar flipped up, but Shark tell us they've done a lot of work to make the Evoline 3 a heap quieter in both the open & closed positions.... I haven't found anyone locally yet who's been brave enough to shell out the $$ after being burnt so badly by the earlier versions, so I've been unable to find a 'rider/wearer' comparison between the earlier versions & version 3 nor get any wearer impressions on the latest Evoline - so please, what do you reckon? :dontknow:

Just as an aside, & I don't really know if it applies to anywhere but Aus/NZ, but down here I have it on good authority that the Shark Evolines are the ONLY modular helmets with swivel type chin bars that have received all the necessary Safety & ADR/EU type approvals in both their open & closed positions - all the rest are only fully approved with the chin bar locked down & the face shield shut! :shocked: So for many of those riders, especially those who wear these helmets for work here Down Under, that effectively means it's either a Shark Evoline (with all the wind noise in the older versions) or a full face helmet! :gaah:

Bfromla
03-16-2019, 04:15 AM
3rd HJC modular here, now with retractable shades:clap: No glasses needed but regular hydration & or occasional sneeze:yikes: made me upgrade. Started with a 1/2shell, still functions as a emergency legal spare. The ease of moving the chin bar when needed is great. Never cared or even tried the fixed chin full face.

bhern
03-16-2019, 07:15 AM
How much wind noise do you get with that?

As a full-face helmet wearer, I have Peter's question plus another that may be stupid, but why is wearing glasses such a nudge towards a modular?

Quick explanation: I wear glasses for distance vision, but do fine without them from a "seeing stuff that matters" standpoint, including being able to read signs at speed, etc. I'm pretty new to motorcycling, and bought my first helmet only a little over a year ago. I was definitely going to get something with a chin bar, and everyone I talked to said the modulars were convenient but noisy, so I never gave them much consideration.

I'm happy with my full face (HJC), but if modulars accommodate glasses more readily -- and aren't as noisy as I've been told -- I'd give them a harder look next time. Thanks.

jcthorne
03-16-2019, 07:22 AM
I would prefer a modular but still wear a full face.

There are no modulars currently available from mainstream manufactures with a Snell safety rating. In fact most modulars are LESS effective than 3/4 helmets in a crash due to the chin bar and hinge CAUSING injury when they come loose. This is also why Arai still does not build any modular helmets. All Arai helmets are Snell certified. Arai and Shoei have been working on the problem for years but to date have not produced anything that works and is effective.

Tango
03-16-2019, 08:07 AM
KLIM Carbon Fiber Modular for me. HJC RPHA MAX Modular for the wife. The lightest we could buy at the time we bought. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Tslepebull
03-16-2019, 08:14 AM
I have worn several iterations of the Nolan N- series. They work for me

PMK
03-16-2019, 08:17 AM

There are no modulars currently available from mainstream manufactures with a Snell safety rating. In fact most modulars are LESS effective than 3/4 helmets in a crash due to the chin bar and hinge CAUSING injury when they come loose. This is also why Arai still does not build any modular helmets. All Arai helmets are Snell certified. Arai and Shoei have been working on the problem for years but to date have not produced anything that works and is effective.

I read the earlier post stating the modular helmets met DOT. Previously, when shopping for helmets, I looked at many modular helmets. After reading about and watching of how the face coverage portion opens in a crash, I opted away from modular helmets.

Ultimately, we went with Shoei GT Airs. These are a full coverage helmet, what some call full face.

Possibly, when we need to replace these, I will revisit the modulars. It will be tough though since these are very cool to ride in with the vents open and have no percieved buffetting from airflow.

McClendons
03-16-2019, 08:27 AM
On the glasses, it is typically easier to flip a modular chin bar up, put on glasses, then move bar down/up as needed. Makes putting glasses on similar to no hemet at all.

On noise.....it REALLY depends on the helmet. Modulars will have more noise, but if you get a high end one it is not significantly more. Right now I have a Shoei Neotec and it is pretty quiet. Before that I had a Schuberth. Both are excellent and pretty quiet. I had an HJC and it was moderate, but that was years back and not one of their higher end ones. I've read that HJC now has some serious contenders. Bottom line, typically the more expensive modulars are quieter (not always but), the ones you get for $200 are typically loud(er).

After having both types (modular/full), the convince of a modular is too great to pass up. Ig you get one with a pop down shade, makes them even more compelling.

One final note, and this is a "do not do (but I do), in slower traffic and heat, I put the chin bar up and the shade down. That ways eyes are protected, but you get some breeze. This is not an advised configuration, but still beats no hemet at all.

As a full-face helmet wearer, I have Peter's question plus another that may be stupid, but why is wearing glasses such a nudge towards a modular?

Quick explanation: I wear glasses for distance vision, but do fine without them from a "seeing stuff that matters" standpoint, including being able to read signs at speed, etc. I'm pretty new to motorcycling, and bought my first helmet only a little over a year ago. I was definitely going to get something with a chin bar, and everyone I talked to said the modulars were convenient but noisy, so I never gave them much consideration.

I'm happy with my full face (HJC), but if modulars accommodate glasses more readily -- and aren't as noisy as I've been told -- I'd give them a harder look next time. Thanks.

bluewoo
03-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Modular HJC with retractable shades and I also wear glasses.
Most of my friends ride harleys and its hard to talk with a full face on at stop lights.(Usually they don't wear anything But a Dew rag)
Cooler in the summer time when it gets very warm out.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
03-16-2019, 09:27 AM
Got my c3 pro during the winter, only used it once. i checked into c3 & c4 a lot before buying, revzilla & others said c3 is preferred.

hrdware101
03-16-2019, 09:57 AM
I wear a Shoei RJ Air 3/4 helemet anytime temps are above 55*. Nolan N103 modular for when it's rainy or below 55*. If going on a longer/overnight trip, I bring both (in case it rains). Thankfully the top case on my F3 Ltd can hold two helmets. Never cared too much for closed helmets as I find they detract from the "open air" experience of riding a motorcycle. The modular is a compromise for me, but beats having rain and cold in my face. The flip-down sun shade is an added bonus.

Lew L
03-16-2019, 10:24 AM
"How about you, do you rYde with modular or regular helmets.???"

Both my wife and I use modular helmets.

Lew L

rodentrancher
03-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Looked at modulars, but was unable to find one that fit properly (size 8 and 1/8 head, long and narrow). Have found that Arai works best for me.

pegasus1300
03-16-2019, 10:58 AM

I realize this is limited personal experience but I have been down twice in modular helmets and neither experienced chin bar loosening or helmet ejection either during or after the accidents. Though both helmets did their job and as a result were compromised. I continue to wear a modular helmet and feel from personal experience they are quite safe.

bcer960
03-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Another Modular....Shoei Neotec wouldn't go back to full face, never had a open face

BajaRon
03-16-2019, 12:57 PM
As usual, I am bucking the trend. Modular's have gotten better over the years. But I am a full face guy. I wear glasses but have no problem with a full face and glasses. I've had some neck injuries and weight is very important to me. So is frontal coverage so a 3/4 helmet does not appeal.

Modulars are always going to be heavier. They used to be real bricks. But weight has been engineered down over time. Full face helmets have also gotten lighter.

2dogs
03-16-2019, 01:24 PM
How much wind noise do you get with that? The earlier Evoline's were some of the windiest & noisiest helmets around, especially with the chin bar flipped up, but Shark tell us they've done a lot of work to make the Evoline 3 a heap quieter in both the open & closed positions.... I haven't found anyone locally yet who's been brave enough to shell out the $$ after being burnt so badly by the earlier versions, so I've been unable to find a 'rider/wearer' comparison between the earlier versions & version 3 nor get any wearer impressions on the latest Evoline - so please, what do you reckon? :dontknow:

Just as an aside, & I don't really know if it applies to anywhere but Aus/NZ, but down here I have it on good authority that the Shark Evolines are the ONLY modular helmets with swivel type chin bars that have received all the necessary Safety & ADR/EU type approvals in both their open & closed positions - all the rest are only fully approved with the chin bar locked down & the face shield shut! :shocked: So for many of those riders, especially those who wear these helmets for work here Down Under, that effectively means it's either a Shark Evoline (with all the wind noise in the older versions) or a full face helmet! :gaah:

Shark Evo 3 :2thumbs: :yes: for both my wife and I. :thumbup: I use it both with the chin guard up and down depending. Up when in town and when I have a warm tumbler of coffee I'm sipping on in winter time, or a cold soft drink in the summer. I wear prescription sun glasses most all the time so I use the detachable face shield mainly at night. I have about two strips of black tape on the sun shield to block that (dam) morning and late afternoon blinding sun. It's easily adjustable so I don't use it all the time. Wind noise? None because I have Sena 20s ear pieces for communication and AM/FM radio so if there was wind noise I don't really hear it. I also have Bluetooth hearing aids which give me several more options. Fit? The Evo 3's are made to fit the North American head shape. The Evo 1's and 2's were more of a fit for European heads. Ours fit very well and are comfortable for long periods of time. As for any helmet it may very well take some time to break-in. If I ever buy another Shark I think I'll get it with the smaller cheek pads. They are interchangeable for a more custom fit. Shark Evo 3 has been the most versatile and comfortable helmet I've owned. Love it, love it, love it! By the way, I believe the new ratchet chin strap is DOT approved. I never did like those darn D-rings, and Lid Locks works well with the ratchet strap.

sandeejs
03-16-2019, 03:27 PM
I wear a HJC FG Jet. It's a 3/4 face. The reason I like it: the shield coverage gets the entire face, down to the chin. I found that modulars and full face helmets didn't seem to provide as much space to peer out of that 3/4 and 1/2 helmets do. Most 3/4 and 1/2 helmets don't have the chin protection, but the Jet's shield goes down to the chin. My last get-off, the Spyder was totaled, the helmet was totaled, but I got away with broken ribs and a mild concussion. As soon as I decided to ryde again, I bought the exact same helmet.
~Sandee~

Bfromla
03-16-2019, 03:45 PM
I read the earlier post stating the modular helmets met DOT. Previously, when shopping for helmets, I looked at many modular helmets. After reading about and watching of how the face coverage portion opens in a crash, I opted away from modular helmets.

Ultimately, we went with Shoei GT Airs. These are a full coverage helmet, what some call full face.

Possibly, when we need to replace these, I will revisit the modulars. It will be tough though since these are very cool to ride in with the vents open and have no percieved buffetting from airflow.
SNELL rating is not the same as DOT:lecturef_smilie: & the "chin bar opens in a crash" is not 100% of time, as well as can not prove if the bar was properly latched 100% of the crashes reported. Are 100%more effective than those with NO helmet.

FalconAF
03-16-2019, 03:57 PM
This is probably gonna upset some people, but I'm a realist. So.....

If ANY helmet is "too noisy", it simply means you aren't wearing enough ear protection. With today's technology, you can find $20 earplugs in all sizes that are not foam and won't muffle every sound you hear. Musicians earplugs are great for riding.

If you were riding WITHOUT a helmet at all, would you still be complaining about the "wind noise" or how noisy riding as a whole is? I wouldn't, because I know I am getting on a vehicle with my butt 6 inches above the engine and my head sticking out in the windstream most of the time (I quit sticking my head out of my family's car windows when I was a little boy because my Dad told me not to...now I don't do it because I know better myself). I want my helmet manufacturer to place the quality of the SAFETY of the helmet first. If they can do that and make it quiet too, great. If not, give me the helmet and I'll fix the "noise problem" with proper ear protection.

We spend 5-figures on our bikes. Thousands more on addons, riding gear, and yes...helmets. Don't put the "noise factor" at a higher priority than your safety factor. Yes, some helmets are "noisier" than others. But ALL helmets can be made quiet with proper ear protection, without compromising your ability to hear music clearly, talk over intercoms clearly, or still be able to maintain "Situational Awareness" around you while riding.

duke50
03-16-2019, 06:47 PM
Love my modular Shoei Neotec helmet. When im in town, I lift the lid, and enjoy the fresh air for a bit. Nice when fueling too. I like the versatility

JerryB
03-16-2019, 07:26 PM
Hi Ron,

Re: I wear glasses but have no problem with a full face and glasses.

I thought that I posted a reply on this thread yesterday; I'm in the middle of upgrading to Win 10 & it looks like it did not post.

These days I have to wear glasses to drive/ride. I have a full face & I almost always ride with the faceshield up so I can hear better. I take my glasses off, put on my helmet, flip the faceshied up, put on my glasses & am ready to ride.

Works for me,

Jerry Baumchen

BajaRon
03-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Hi Ron,

Re: I wear glasses but have no problem with a full face and glasses.

I take my glasses off, put on my helmet, flip the faceshied up, put on my glasses & am ready to ride.

Works for me,

Jerry Baumchen

Works for me too. Some full face helmets do give glasses wearer's issues. But certainly, not all.

PMK
03-16-2019, 09:12 PM
SNELL rating is not the same as DOT:lecturef_smilie: & the "chin bar opens in a crash" is not 100% of time, as well as can not prove if the bar was properly latched 100% of the crashes reported. Are 100%more effective than those with NO helmet.

Your point is vague.
As for what I watched was lab testing of modular helmets. I would highly doubt that for testing, lab workers would incorrectly latch a helmet.

Your comment about 100% effective is likely supposed to read, at least to complete your comment, that any helmet is 100% better than no helmet.

Regarding DOT rated vs Snell rated, I agree they are different ratings. I would prefer Snell over DOT, but sadly our Shoei GT Airs are not Snell rated. As I understand it, the flip down internal eyeshade has something to do with this.

I live and ride in a state that does not require motorcyclists to wear helmets. As a racer, rider and competitor, I do not agree with this. However, the law was changed, on account of those persons wanting to ride without a helmet. Almost daily, I see riders without helmets, riding in a way to endanger themselves and others. When injuries happen, overall, I simply accept that they rode as they chose too. They, not I, created the situation that their families are thrown into.

I am not here to debate whether or not to wear a helmet. Nor am I here to condemn modular is inferior to full coverage. It is not my place to tell someone they should ride with a helmet or ride with a certain style helmet. Ride with whatever, if anything you prefer. Your safety is your own decision.

jcthorne
03-17-2019, 05:32 AM
I realize this is limited personal experience but I have been down twice in modular helmets and neither experienced chin bar loosening or helmet ejection either during or after the accidents. Though both helmets did their job and as a result were compromised. I continue to wear a modular helmet and feel from personal experience they are quite safe.

Actual testing by Snell and the main manufactures of helmets have shown otherwise. Your 2 incidents of anecdotal evidence do not show much of anything other than luck.

jcthorne
03-17-2019, 05:36 AM

DOT = Manufacture says trust us, we made a safe helmet to meet your specs. No testing of actual model sold.
SNELL = Show me and prove it. Actual test of the actual model being sold by a certified third party testing lab.

KenInMN
03-17-2019, 07:00 AM
I have a prosthetic jaw (Bilateral TMJ replacement with a Laforte osteotomy ). Since I had this done I have not been able to find any full face/modular helmet that I can wear. With in seconds of putting them on I'm in intense pain. So I found an AVG open face that fits me and doesn't put pressure on the jaw. I had to wear the short half helmets for years until the surgery was done. Closest to a full face that I could wear was the Nolan n43 Trilogy which isn't made any longer.

bikerbillone
03-17-2019, 07:01 AM
Helmet shopping is no easy task, get it right out of the box hopefully, going back for a different 'feel' get expensive these days.

donhy
03-17-2019, 08:00 AM
A side tracked question, i was in Florida last week and the number of people riding without a helmet and even without a tshirt is crazy it was giving me goosebumps just watching them. For me it's common sense to wear one whether law requires it or not. Do you guys wear a helmet because you have to or you know better :) ?

bikerbillone
03-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Lose some skin one time will cure that macho riding thing. Anyone who has taken a shower with missing skin knows what I mean.

Tango
03-17-2019, 08:43 AM

Look for modulars with metal pins. The ones with plastic pins break allowing the helmet to open. Most have now gone to metal pins. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

fatboy
03-17-2019, 11:35 AM
no helmet half helmet when required

grumpyoldretiredcop
03-17-2019, 01:29 PM
I normally wear a 3/4 helmet but switch to a modular in poor weather.

ARtraveler
03-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Any safety gear is a personal choice thing. There are many pros and cons to ANY piece of safety gear chosen.

For me, there is a happy medium somewhere being ATGATT and dressing up like the Michelin Man vs. wearing no safety gear at all.

I choose to be more on the ATGATT side. It is a conscious decision for us and we know that we are not perfect in every choice.

As mentioned earlier, we choose to use modular vs. full face. Linda cannot wear full because of the fear of being confined.

johnsimion
03-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Wife and I have always worn full-face helmets for the added safety. I wear glasses but it only takes about 10 seconds to take them off, put the helmet on and put the glasses back on. If a few seconds save my life, that's a good investment. There is another reason - Arai helmets are the most comfortable for me and they don't even make a modular helmet.

PMK
03-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Look for modulars with metal pins. The ones with plastic pins break allowing the helmet to open. Most have now gone to metal pins. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Thank you but currently we are enjoying the full coverage and comfort of the Shoei GT Airs we ride in. Excellent vent system and cooling, plus visor setting that allows added airflow if needed.

bscofield84
03-19-2019, 01:12 PM
I like my Nolan Helmet also. Hopefully getting a new one this spring. Got some age on the old one.

Semper Gumby
03-19-2019, 04:39 PM
my modular...Scorpion EXO-AT950

stevencovert
03-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Something about my fat head that I can't get on a full face! Only the flip up lets me widen the opening a smidge tugging on the straps to get it on comfortably.

T.P.
03-31-2019, 07:06 PM
Long time Shoei customer, so I picked up my first Neotec 2 this Winter.
I got out today for a 38 mile ride up to double zero's
35 and snowing in Minneapolis this afternoon, no helmet issues at all

T.P.

Deanna777
04-01-2019, 01:22 PM
I wear a full face helmet( VOX) it has built-in sun visor.

I have has the full face helmet for 5 years.

Deanna

HayRog
04-01-2019, 02:44 PM
my modular...Scorpion EXO-AT950

I've been considering this helmet myself. How do you like it ?

DaveZinAz
04-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Wife and I wear LS2 Valiant.
I may be misstating but I believe they are one of the few modular helmets that are DOT approved in both configurations; chin bar down and locked and flipped all the way back to the rear of the helmet.

WisconsinDavid
04-01-2019, 04:51 PM
I wear a modular GMAX 54s. It is a comfortable helmet with a good airflow venting system for hot days. It also has a red light on the back that I do turn on when riding at dusk/dark to make myself more visible. So far it has been a good helmet. Prior to this I had a full face Sedici Strada (vended by Cycle Gear in Madison, WI) that also was good to me for a number of years. The old rule of thumb I've heard is helmets should be retired around 5-7 years of age. Anyone else hear that kind of advice?

CopperSpyder
04-01-2019, 04:58 PM
I wear a modular GMAX 54s. It is a comfortable helmet with a good airflow venting system for hot days. It also has a red light on the back that I do turn on when riding at dusk/dark to make myself more visible. So far it has been a good helmet. Prior to this I had a full face Sedici Strada (vended by Cycle Gear in Madison, WI) that also was good to me for a number of years. The old rule of thumb I've heard is helmets should be retired around 5-7 years of age. Anyone else hear that kind of advice?

yes, motorcycle safety class recommends replace every 5 years.

Pirate looks at --
04-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Wife and I have always worn full-face helmets for the added safety. I wear glasses but it only takes about 10 seconds to take them off, put the helmet on and put the glasses back on. If a few seconds save my life, that's a good investment. There is another reason - Arai helmets are the most comfortable for me and they don't even make a modular helmet.

They don't make a modular because they can't get Snell Certification. That is also why they came out with the "External Flip Up Sun Visor" as Snell will not approve the internal flip up sun visor.

Haikanko
04-02-2019, 04:52 AM
I wear an open face helmet with ear plugs as find full face claustrophobic......

VegasSpyder
04-02-2019, 12:17 PM
I agree on the helmet. Just yesterday I saw a couple on one bike, no helmets (not required in Nevada on a 3 wheeled machine) driving like FOOLS!

FalconAF
04-02-2019, 12:39 PM
They don't make a modular because they can't get Snell Certification.

You keep saying that, but it is misleading. Snell certifies helmets primarily for the RACING community, so yes, their standards will be higher than the regular CONSUMER community. So if a manufacturer is not MAKING a helmet designed to meet RACING standards to begin with, of course they probably won't get a Snell certification. But Snell has 3 different categories of ratings also. Primarily, they will not "certify" a modular helmet because it doesn't meet RACING standards. And yes...as of today, you won't see professional RACING riders wearing modular helmets during competition events.

But that does NOT mean that ALL modular helmets are "unsafe" or aren't "as safe as" a full face helmet for a non-racing environment user JUST BECAUSE Snell won't certify the helmet.

Just because Snell doesn't or won't "certify" a non-racing designed helmet does NOT mean the helmet is unsafe for NORMAL everyday riding use.

For those who want to understand it all, here is the link to the FAQ's Snell site. Well worth reading ALL of it to understand the reality of the situation instead of just blindly implying something like "no modulars are safe because they aren't Snell certified".

http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aSAMKdiff

Pirate looks at --
04-02-2019, 02:17 PM
You keep saying that, but it is misleading. Snell certifies helmets primarily for the RACING community, so yes, their standards will be higher than the regular CONSUMER community. So if a manufacturer is not MAKING a helmet designed to meet RACING standards to begin with, of course they probably won't get a Snell certification. But Snell has 3 different categories of ratings also. Primarily, they will not "certify" a modular helmet because it doesn't meet RACING standards. And yes...as of today, you won't see professional RACING riders wearing modular helmets during competition events.

But that does NOT mean that ALL modular helmets are "unsafe" or aren't "as safe as" a full face helmet for a non-racing environment user JUST BECAUSE Snell won't certify the helmet.

Just because Snell doesn't or won't "certify" a non-racing designed helmet does NOT mean the helmet is unsafe for NORMAL everyday riding use.

For those who want to understand it all, here is the link to the FAQ's Snell site. Well worth reading ALL of it to understand the reality of the situation instead of just blindly implying something like "no modulars are safe because they aren't Snell certified".

Please Please Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about safety. You even quoted me, and I never said anything about Safety. The Snell Foundation is Located in my town. I have toured their facility, and they have been guests at our club meeting. I know a bit about Snell. It matters not why they will or will not certify a helmet. They have their standards, and modulars do not meet those standards. Full face helmets with interior flip down sun shades do not meet their standards. They would be happy to certify a modular helmet, and they have tested many of them, but they don't meet the minimum standards. In fact most full face helmets don't meet those standards, and are not certified. So I have worn Arai Snell Certified helmets in the past, mainly for comfort as they have great ventilation and for my head shape they fit great. I now where Shoei Neo-Tec 2 not certified by Snell, but safe enough for me. So do me a favor. If you are going to quote me, get it right.:clap:

FalconAF
04-02-2019, 05:02 PM
They would be happy to certify a modular helmet, and they have tested many of them, but they don't meet the minimum standards.

I wasn't "putting words in your mouth". I quoted your reply to another person's reply about them wearing a full face helmet for the "additional safety" of it. And that the maker of that helmet didn't make modulars. You then said the maker didn't make modulars "because they couldn't get Snell to certify one".

My point in my post was in regards to what your post DOES imply (again) in what I just quoted you again above. The Snell standard is not "the" standard for the entire motorcycle helmet industry. It is "a" standard established by Snell alone. If Snell decides to use their own standard(s) for every helmet, of course some won't meet Snell's requirements. But this thread is full of "implications" that no modular helmet is safe because Snell won't certify them. And that is a wrong impression for any motorcycle forum to express, especially to a potential new rider coming here looking for accurate safety information.

That's all I was saying. So please don't put words in my mouth either. Miscommunication and misunderstanding is a hazard of all written communication.

jnt
04-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Yes. Started with BMW helmet in late 80s. Latest is SCHUBERTH C-3 Pro. Very quiet at speeed. Sprung for their comm collar and happy with that as well.

Pirate looks at --
04-02-2019, 11:27 PM

"They don't make a modular because they can't get Snell Certification. That is also why they came out with the "External Flip Up Sun Visor" as Snell will not approve the internal flip up sun visor."

Now that is the exact thing I posted. You have an active imagination, or a poor understanding of the English language, neither of which is a bad thing. You even said, "You keep saying that", and I had only made one post on the subject. No where do I make a statement about safety, or that Snell is better than any other rating DOT, or ECE. I merely pointed out that Arai thinks that the Snell certification is important to them and their customers. I also stated that I wore Arai for a while for comfort, not safety. Again stick to your own words, I think you will be better off.

Raprider
04-04-2019, 05:27 PM
Currently wearing Scorpion EXO GT-920 Modular (with sun shield) for both me and the misses and very pleased with them.
Occasionally wear our HJC Half-helmets, but have been using less since getting the modulars.

We had always used full-face helmets prior. We both wear glasses and find the modulars much easier to put the glasses on with the chin bar up. Also makes it easy to grab the water bottle or chat with a co-rider at a stop light, or open the helmet in traffic.

Petrom714
04-26-2019, 05:13 PM
Something about my fat head that I can't get on a full face! Only the flip up lets me widen the opening a smidge tugging on the straps to get it on comfortably.

try the arai quanum x--if you're round/round oval---slight force needed to pull it on /off but really gotten comfortable with the full face security and how well designed it is

Fat Baxter
04-26-2019, 11:55 PM
I would love to have a modular helmet. Unfortunately, I have a long-oval head, and no one makes a modular helmet for that head shape. I tried a Neotec, but it created a monstrously unbearable hot spot on my forehead after about an hour. So I'm stuck with Arai Signets, a full-face helmet.

In the short time I tried the Neotec, I noticed how nose-heavy it was compared to my Arai. Annoyingly so.

Flanker
04-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Nah! They suck! :joke:

Icon Airframe Pro Warbird for me.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/166-7998/icon-airframe-pro-warbird-blue-full-face-helmet?mrkgcl=444&mrkgadid=3303098697&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Brand&utm_campaign=Bing+Shopping++Manufacturer+Intent+-+Gear&utm_content=pla&creative=77103310579382&device=c&matchtype=e

Bama Fan
06-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Modular here. Nolan N100-5. Awesome helmet.

foxtail1
06-04-2019, 10:47 AM
I used a full face for over 10 years, then switched to modular (HJC RPHA MAX). Love the helmet, and really like the Pinlock insert. It makes an enormous difference when riding in bad weather. I can remember riding with my full face helmet in bad weather with my visor cracked open to try to keep it from fogging, but the Pinlock solved that.

rahine
06-04-2019, 11:52 AM
I like the modular. I wear a Shoei Neotec II

Fatcycledaddy
06-04-2019, 11:55 AM

Make that 2 more with Shark. We have the EVO one 2 and love them. The only helmet that I have seen that can be used as full and open face.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-04-2019, 11:57 AM
IMHO they are best of all worlds ….. Mike :ohyea:

jbim
06-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Only and always full face for me, my wife and son. I wear glasses as well.

J

jerrydonna
12-21-2019, 10:16 AM
we ride with our Sena Calvery his her, or Sena Momentum. we live in a helmet state, but travel west yearly have gone topless a little but the 1/2 calvary is mostly over my bald head

Saluda
12-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Yes, a lot.

Motorcycledave
12-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Hi Bob Merry Christmas

Deanna777
12-21-2019, 12:24 PM
I wear a full face helmet "Zox.

I do not wear glasses when I am riding.

It has a Integrated/ retractable sun shade. Which I use all the time.

Also, it is light weight, Chin curtain, Breath guard included.

Also it has a" Flip up" jaw that closely securely.

I have had the above helmet for 5 or 6 years.

Deanna

bayoubill
12-21-2019, 12:33 PM
i hate them, heavy, hot, hearing and vision restrictive,

EdMat
12-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Guess i am the only one here that likes the Bell SRT modular series. For me it fits, quiet, good quality, not the lightest but far from the heaviest, etc. Many reasons to like a modular style helmet.

As far as the DOT, SNELL, etc. debate goes. I simply don't care. I feel I am better protected than any half, three quarter or in some States nothing while not compromising my comfort.

If I have to be uncomfortable while doing this.....then why in the heck am I doing it?

h0gr1der
12-21-2019, 04:54 PM
What do the modular ones weight currently? I'm in the damaged neck category, and the heavy helmet syndrome not only makes me have pain, but stuff on my body goes numb and quits working:yikes:!

bayoubill
12-21-2019, 05:53 PM
What do the modular ones weight currently? I'm in the damaged neck category, and the heavy helmet syndrome not only makes me have pain, but stuff on my body goes numb and quits working:yikes:!

i don't know actual weight but i tried a bell and a harley brand, they were both a lot heavier than the full face generic i wear sometimes in the winter , i couldn't stand either one, might be lighter ones out there but i'm not wasting any more money on them

Northofthesix
12-21-2019, 06:08 PM
I wear a Scorpion modular and love it! Light weight for a full helmet, integrated drop down sun shield (as well as the clear) that is the perfect level of sun protection, great ear speaker pockets, comfortable with glasses.... and got it at half price late in the season so it didn't cost me more than some of the cheap crapola ones.

jnt
12-21-2019, 10:54 PM
Been modular sinc the BMW System arrived ca 2000

pegasus1300
12-22-2019, 04:31 AM
Guess i am the only one here that likes the Bell SRT modular series. For me it fits, quiet, good quality, not the lightest but far from the heaviest, etc. Many reasons to like a modular style helmet.

As far as the DOT, SNELL, etc. debate goes. I simply don't care. I feel I am better protected than any half, three quarter or in some States nothing while not compromising my comfort.

If I have to be uncomfortable while doing this.....then why in the heck am I doing it?

I have the Bell SRT series and also really like it, tho I admit I bought it because of the color. I hd a Bell Revolver before and liked the way it fit.

chris56
12-22-2019, 08:21 AM
we ryde since 10 years - 50.000 miles with the GIVI Modular always the last modell - not so noise than most of the flip-ups - fast & easy to change the front .. together they fit in each small one-helmet case - would not change ..(this was the official BRP Can-Am helmet a time ago - called ST1)

troop
12-22-2019, 09:19 AM
I have a Scorpion EXO AT950 modular and really like it. I use it primarily for fall trips and cooler weather. I have a HJC IS33 II that is my summer touring lid. That said, I also use 1/2, 3/4 and full face helmets :)

Zoot
12-22-2019, 12:14 PM
As has been noted elsewhere, a modular is basically an open-face helmet with a hinged shield. I want the protection of a real chin bar.

krakum1967
12-22-2019, 12:33 PM
I have the Fulmer Modular, you have to buy them in person so they can be fitted properly that way, not even sure they are even in business anymore with the no internet thing.

cruisinTX
12-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Modular for me. When I returned to riding motorcycles in 2000 after a 20 year hiatus I managed to get two Nolans as part of the deal. I tried on several different brands and sizes at the dealership and found the Nolan fit me better than any of them. I chose modular over full-face because none of the FF worked with wearing eye glasses. I have continued with modular on the Spyder when we got it in Oct. 2017.

h0gr1der
12-24-2019, 01:15 PM
Have you ever noticed that other than comfort, fit, and style, the only folks that can actually comment on a helmets performance (other than testing labs) are those that have been in the worst kind of accident where their melon actually hits something? I find it's also pretty hard to find an accurate weight of a helmet for the most part.

iridenow
12-24-2019, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=Martin Slovakia;1427308]Guys,
ever since I have became spYder rYder I did have a modular helmet.
This spring was the time when I have changed the Schuberth C3 Pro for new C4 Pro

How about you, do you rYde with modular or regular helmets.???

https://youtu.be/WdQu9VWNQN0

I have a full face helmet but it bothers my sunglasses when I wear them.

iridenow
12-24-2019, 03:08 PM
I have the Bell SRT series and also really like it, tho I admit I bought it because of the color. I hd a Bell Revolver before and liked the way it fit.

I have the SRT as well. I don't like that it has no detents.

bayoubill
12-24-2019, 06:26 PM
Have you ever noticed that other than comfort, fit, and style, the only folks that can actually comment on a helmets performance (other than testing labs) are those that have been in the worst kind of accident where their melon actually hits something? I find it's also pretty hard to find an accurate weight of a helmet for the most part.

the helmets i think are heavy, some people wear and say they are comfortable, i don't think actual lbs counts for much, the bell revolver i had and harley brand modular were so heavy*to me*, that i couldn't ride for 30 minutes in comfort. it could be from riding for years with a half helmet , honestly if i were afraid of riding with a half helmet i wouldn't be riding anyway, for the most part a modular is a false sense of security anyway and this is JUST IN MY OPINION. i'e seen a few wrecks and known a lot of wreck victims and really don't know of any where a better helmet would have helped. again my opinion and only talking about people i personally know not internet searches.

pegasus1300
12-24-2019, 10:27 PM
And I loved my Bell Revolver. It was one of the most comfortable helmets I ever owned. I have been down twice resulting in Massive helmet damage and both times my head survived. Both Modular, The Bell Revolver, and an HJC, don't remember which one. I guess that's why there are so many different types.

Frankab
12-25-2019, 04:12 PM
I wear a HJC FG Jet. It's a 3/4 face. The reason I like it: the shield coverage gets the entire face, down to the chin. I found that modulars and full face helmets didn't seem to provide as much space to peer out of that 3/4 and 1/2 helmets do. Most 3/4 and 1/2 helmets don't have the chin protection, but the Jet's shield goes down to the chin. My last get-off, the Spyder was totaled, the helmet was totaled, but I got away with broken ribs and a mild concussion. As soon as I decided to ryde again, I bought the exact same helmet.
~Sandee~

I totally agree with Sandee's post on the 3/4 helmet! The visibility is so much better and is a high priority for me. The shield coverage of the entire face is something I like and there is nothing else in the way of my vision. It blocks the wind and flips up when needed. They are usually light and comfortable. I also wear glasses with no problem. Just my two cents.

askitee
12-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Schuberth C4 modular

As soon as I saw the modular option I was hooked having had full face helmets all my life. While I don't ride with the chin bar open, I like the convenience of the chin opening when stopped. I am a "sometimes" glasses wearer and do find it easier to put them on.

As a side note, the full enclosure of the helmet is great in winter and when talking via bluetooth, but I haven't been able to work out how to get the mouthpiece for my camelbak into the "headspace".

vnomus
12-26-2019, 08:55 PM
Recently upgraded to the Shark Evo One 2 modular from the Harley branded HJC Dual modular. Very happy, lighter, much better ventilation, pin lock, and dedicated eye glasses channel.

Jdr00ejr
12-27-2019, 08:41 AM
I've been a half helmet guy for years - and enjoy riding without a helmet but wear mine 97% of the time. That said, I do wear a Modular for Rain/Cold - usually a cheap one - but still DOT approved). Well, I broke down and bit the bullet and spent the money on a Shark Evo-One 2 late in the fall. I've been wearing it exclusively as I'm ryding in temps that get in the 20s and/or lower. I'm loving the flexibility of this lid. Temps in the 60s the past couple of days here in Indianapolis - crazy I know - and I still grabbed the shark. When it's "warmer" I've been leaving the chin bar flipped to the back (3/4 helmet mode) and when it's really warm - I keep the face shield up as well. While I'm certainly liable to jump on a do a ryde with no helmet - if I put a lid on - I'm pretty sure it'll be my Shark and not my half going forward.

Tango
12-27-2019, 04:31 PM
Klim Modular for me. Carbon Fiber, very light weight. Speaker pockets, vents work great.:thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Wahrsuul
12-27-2019, 05:02 PM
I haven't tried to read through all five pages, so if I'm stating the obvious...

At first sight, I liked the concept of a modular. But after looking at it for a while, I can't figure out what's it's good for. For me it's a very rare occasion that I'd need it, and it's not worth the cost.