PDA

View Full Version : RT Transmission Issues

Snookie
03-05-2019, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone, I have a 2016 Spyder RT Limited, and am I the process of replacing the transmission the second time in a year, with only 18,000 Kms on it. Very frustrated with all the down time, having to call deck trucks to haul it to a dealer and the expense of it. It is on warranty for 2 more months but am losing confidence in the bike, and am the Vice President of a large motorcycle club in Arizona and if they don’t extend the warranty on the bike they will be getting a large amount of negative publicity from now on. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the transmission? Eric

Peter Aawen
03-05-2019, 08:11 PM
What exactly is wrong with the transmission that means it needs replacement?? :dontknow:

Most of the problems we hear about that are trans related are something to do with the bolt on bits or electricals that make them operate, & very rarely do those require the replacement of the transmission.... in fact, I can't recall the last thread discussing one that did need replacement??? (I guess that could be my 'forgetory' working overtime tho - my memory is still great for someone my age, but my forgetory has been working better & better with every birthday! :shocked: )

DGoebel
03-05-2019, 08:18 PM
My '13 had a very minor issue with the external shift lever (that '14's don't have even). Rode several thousand miles since replacing the small aluminum lever that stripped. No problems. is it possible the replacement transmission wasn't installed properly?

Revalden
03-05-2019, 08:49 PM
Are you checking/filling the engine/transmission oil while the engine is COLD? Doing so will cause overfilling and probable engine/transmission damage. According to my Owners Manual. :dontknow:

RICZ
03-05-2019, 10:24 PM
Keep a record of all the events that had you going back to the dealer for warranty work. In the event a problem, like your transmission, should it repeat after the warranty expires, you can prove it was a pre-existing condition.
This would be a good thing for all to do with any new vehicle. I keep a "diary" showing dates, time if relative, the problem and all the info about its resolution, including dates and length of time to do the repair.
Years ago, I was having the same problem with a new truck and it was in the shop the fourth time. I told the service manager it appears your are defrauding the manufacturer. When he denied it, I showed him my diary and told him I will show it to the district rep. The truck got fixed and never needed more repairs for a long, long time.

PMK
03-06-2019, 06:45 AM
Without details of any specifics, any response can be difficult. Beyond a warranty fix, do not expect much or anything from Can Am / BRP.

My suggestion. Get rid of it. Find a great dealer willing to take it in trade AND swap over your aftermarket parts, if any.

Dmetcalf
03-06-2019, 08:53 AM
I have a 16 RT Ltd. also and it has run flawlessly (knock on wood)..! Although I only have just under 7k miles on it. I would be very interested to hear what they found wrong with it ..!

jcthorne
03-06-2019, 10:57 AM
On the 1330, you cannot replace the transmission without also replacing the engine. Its a single integral unit. So not sure what is broken or what is being replaced here. Trans failures have actually been very rare on this engine. Two on one bike leads to the suggestion that something else is going on.

Fatcycledaddy
03-06-2019, 11:59 AM
I'm a little confused on this one, shows he is from Alberta, then he is a vice president of a motorcycle club in Arizona, possibly a snow bird i guess.
Less than 12,000 miles in almost three years and two transmissions???
Transgressions are part of the engine and can be rebuilt, but not replaced without replacement of the engine as stated by JCthorne??
A lot more information is needed to ferret this one out.

LeftCoast
03-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Snookie is new to the board. This was originally posted in the welcome forum and I moved it here and sent him a pm informing of the move. Hopefully he’ll check in soon.

LC

ARtraveler
03-06-2019, 01:44 PM
An interesting first post.

I will start by saying :welcome:

We do need more background information before making good decisions. I would guess that a case has been established by the dealer with BRP.

I also recommend not being threatening to BRP at this stage (vice pres of mc club/bad publicity if it does not go right)...etc. That can shut down the process very quickly.

An occasional "bad one" gets through the process. Two tranny's in a row? That's worth looking into.

Keep us posted: :bbq: :bbq:

Eckhard
03-06-2019, 04:02 PM
We do need more background information before making good decisions. I would guess that a case has been established by the dealer with BRP.

I also recommend not being threatening to BRP at this stage (vice pres of mc club/bad publicity if it does not go right)...etc. That can shut down the process very quickly.

:thumbup:

Bfromla
03-06-2019, 04:33 PM
What exactly is wrong with the transmission that means it needs replacement?? :dontknow:

Most of the problems we hear about that are trans related are something to do with the bolt on bits or electricals that make them operate, & very rarely do those require the replacement of the transmission.... in fact, I can't recall the last thread discussing one that did need replacement??? (I guess that could be my 'forgetory' working overtime tho - my memory is still great for someone my age, but my forgetory has been working better & better with every birthday! :shocked: )
:agree: I can see replacing clutches two times in short timeframe, but not the transmission. Too many additional components that can go wrong as well, please something more specific not just generalized "transmission" thanks. Being your first post :Info about our riding style too & area (mountain or flat)please.

007james
06-20-2019, 10:24 AM
I also have a 2016 RT Limited that is in the Shop right now, waiting for my BRP “ Case” to be reviewed. I just called my Dealer an hour ago, who has had my Spyder for 3 weeks now, and says the Transmission needs to be removed in order to determine the next step. My RT has 33, 500 miles on the Odometer, and had Warrantee work done to replace the front Sprocket at 21,500 miles by another Dealer, that did the “ fix.” I suspect the Splines on the Transmission Shaft that the Sprocket is mated to, are stripped too badly to repair with Locktite this time, so the Shaft has to be removed and replaced. After reading this Thread, now I am confused , wondering what will happen next. But one thing for certain, my Summer Spyder riding is gone for another Summer, which will be two in a row. It was in the Shop for 10 weeks last Summer, waiting for BRP and the Dealer to agree to a solution. BRP awarded me a 4 month Factory Warrantee Extension for my down time last Summer, which is what I am on right now. That Extension expires early Sept. I was originally told by the first Dealer when the Sprocket was replaced at 21,500 miles, that the engine had to be removed from the Spyder, and the Engine Case split to remove the Tranny Shaft. But then, they never ended up removing the engine, nor replacing the Shaft. They did the “ Band Aid” repair, thinking the “ fix” would out last the Warrantee.

Hi everyone, I have a 2016 Spyder RT Limited, and am I the process of replacing the transmission the second time in a year, with only 18,000 Kms on it. Very frustrated with all the down time, having to call deck trucks to haul it to a dealer and the expense of it. It is on warranty for 2 more months but am losing confidence in the bike, and am the Vice President of a large motorcycle club in Arizona and if they don’t extend the warranty on the bike they will be getting a large amount of negative publicity from now on. Has anyone else had a similar problem with the transmission? Eric